What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Batman (1 Viewer)

I said it was ok above but Im kind of looking forward to seeing it again. It reminds me of Dune. Just a well acted, well directed, well scored movie with a lot of cool scenes that probably dragged on a little too long.

Excellent movie - possibly surpassing the Nolan movies (2 & 3 - 1 for sure).  Its a Batman story and a story that can only be done for Batman - not like all that other interchangeable mediocre fare from Marvel

Thought it was dope.  Really enjoyed it, felt like seven with Batman (all of that in a good way). Beautifully shot, well acted, great sound track.  A win in my book. Not quite Nolan level but definitely good in its own right.  

Batman Noire. We loved it. 

I put this in my top 3 Batman Movies ever along with The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. The musical scoring was amazing, great acting and incredible well shot. Just a very good and dark film. 

Already looking forward to watching it again on HBO Max. And I will certainly own this one on 4K HD. 

Was it a tad slow in spots? Yes but the pacing overall was really well done. This totally is The Batman from the animated films and that universe.

Loved it. I truly despised the Nolan movies (propped up by Ledger’s amazing performance) so this was a big hit for me. 

I do wish there could be more fun with these movies, maybe not as comic book-y as marvel but the all-dark all-serious all the time thing does get pretty grim. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What you talkin ‘bout Willis?  I didn’t even realize this was possible.  
The first one basically had no Batman, the second one had great scenes with the joker but the two face storyline was terrible and the third was a total abomination imo. Everything about Bane was terrible, starting with that horrible accent. The ending of the movie too “why don’t you use your real name, Robin?” — openly groaned in the theater when that happened. Honestly don’t understand how people like that movie. 

Imo the first 3 90s Batman movies captured the feel and aesthetic of Batman, the villians and Gotham pretty perfectly. Nolan’s movies didn’t even come close to that. They didn’t even try with Gotham, it was just Chicago. Bane was a 195 pounds with a ridiculous voice. Two-Face they completely mailed in. 

As a big Batman mark I realize my opinion isn’t the prevailing one but I just don’t care for the Nolan movies. 

Imo the first 3 90s Batman movies captured the feel and aesthetic of Batman, the villians and Gotham pretty perfectly. Nolan’s movies didn’t even come close to that. They didn’t even try with Gotham, it was just Chicago. Bane was a 195 pounds with a ridiculous voice. Two-Face they completely mailed in. 

As a big Batman mark I realize my opinion isn’t the prevailing one but I just don’t care for the Nolan movies. 
I recently revisited Nolans Dark Knight Trilogy after seeing The Batman.

You have some valid points. Actually quite valid. I do not care much for The Dark Knight Rises. Agree on that. Was a clunker to end the trilogy. I do however enjoy Batman Begins.....I thought it was a damn good origin Story. The Dark Knight.....has not aged as well as I thought. Obviously Heath Ledger is this movie. 100% carried it all the way. I agree about Gotham City......it is not Gotham. It is Chicago. And the movie feels extremely sterile and corporate. I do not like Bales Bruce Wayne at all......and Michael Caine as Alfred falls really flat for me. 

I agree about Keaton’s first two films.....classics. And more of a comic book feel. But then it goes way too far with Batman Forever and get’s really silly IMO. And don’t even get me started on Clooney’s Batman......blasphemy.

Right now if I had to rank them:

1. The Batman

2. Batman Begins

3. The Dark Knight

4. Batman

5. Batman Returns 

The first one basically had no Batman, the second one had great scenes with the joker but the two face storyline was terrible and the third was a total abomination imo. Everything about Bane was terrible, starting with that horrible accent. The ending of the movie too “why don’t you use your real name, Robin?” — openly groaned in the theater when that happened. Honestly don’t understand how people like that movie. 
DKR might be worse than Batman forever. 
but the first two were fantastic imo. You’re right about two face but that wasn’t a huge part of the movie and joker made up for it. 

I recently revisited Nolans Dark Knight Trilogy after seeing The Batman.

You have some valid points. Actually quite valid. I do not care much for The Dark Knight Rises. Agree on that. Was a clunker to end the trilogy. I do however enjoy Batman Begins.....I thought it was a damn good origin Story. The Dark Knight.....has not aged as well as I thought. Obviously Heath Ledger is this movie. 100% carried it all the way. I agree about Gotham City......it is not Gotham. It is Chicago. And the movie feels extremely sterile and corporate. I do not like Bales Bruce Wayne at all......and Michael Caine as Alfred falls really flat for me. 

I agree about Keaton’s first two films.....classics. And more of a comic book feel. But then it goes way too far with Batman Forever and get’s really silly IMO. And don’t even get me started on Clooney’s Batman......blasphemy.

Right now if I had to rank them:

1. The Batman

2. Batman Begins

3. The Dark Knight

4. Batman

5. Batman Returns 
Yes I didn’t like Bale’s Bruce Wayne. Keaton is the gold standard there for me. Batman Forever was fine for me but yes a step back from the first and Returns. 

I would say that Ledger’s Joker was the best part of any Batman movie but the rest of the 3 just don’t stand up as well for me. For a top-5 I’d go: 

1. Batman 

2. Batman Returns

3. The Batman

4. The Dark Knight 

Big drop…

5. Batman Forever

I give it a C+.

I really enjoyed the detective Batman, but the last part of Riddler's plan was just so anti-climactic. The relationship between Batman and Catwoman just didn't feel built up enough to really matter.

The most annoying part of the movie was the music score. Whenever Batman was kicking butt they would play some loud, almost Darth Vader like sound track. It didn't do it for me and was just distracting. It was enjoyable and a different type of Batman movie, but I'm not excited to see the next installment.

Capella said:
Yes I didn’t like Bale’s Bruce Wayne. Keaton is the gold standard there for me. Batman Forever was fine for me but yes a step back from the first and Returns. 

I would say that Ledger’s Joker was the best part of any Batman movie but the rest of the 3 just don’t stand up as well for me. For a top-5 I’d go: 

1. Batman 

2. Batman Returns

3. The Batman

4. The Dark Knight 

Big drop…

5. Batman Forever
Totally agree with you on the third Nolan movie, but... IMO those first 2 Nolan movies are absolute classics.  I am very close to putting Batman Begins in the number 1 slot, but Ledger's performance seals it.

1. The Dark Knight
  2. Batman Begins
  3. Batman
  4. The Batman
  5. Batman Returns
Better off skipping the rest of the live action films, unless you want the fun campiness of Adam West's movie edition.  

The definitive Batman for me, however, is Kevin Conroy.  BTAS is an alltime classic.  Mask of the Phantasm may rank as my number 5 since it had a theatrical release but I stuck with the live action.

Wait, there are people that don't think that The Dark Knight wasn't the best batman movie? 

If so, all they just a collection of Nickelback and/or Nascar fans or what?

Wait, there are people that don't think that The Dark Knight wasn't the best batman movie? 

If so, all they just a collection of Nickelback and/or Nascar fans or what?
I assume they also order steak well done. 

I assume they also order steak well done. 

1. Prog Rock (Rush, Queensryche, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Porcupine Tree etc etc)

2. Medium rare

3. It’s an opinion....it’s subjective....it’s just a freaking movie.

The Dark Knight is a great Batman movie. Batman Begins is a great Batman movie. The Batman is a great Batman movie. I love em all.

just saw it.

things i liked:

music, the way the movie looked, I liked this depressed batman, the car, catwoman, action scenes were well done, liked the detective stuff/riddles

thing i didnt like:

way too long, story was predictable and the ending was meh.   Thought they could have done more with dano as riddler.  more screen time for him and les for the uninteresting penguin.  not sure when these movie people are going to learn that more villains does not mean a better movie.

If I had seen this in the theatre I probably would have disliked it more but seeing it at home made it more bearable. 

Nolan's were not perfect but they were all better than this attempt.

So this is on HBO Max and I probably have to endure a fight with my wife to carve out the time to watch it.  Worth it?
If you are a fan of Batman 100% worth the watch. And....why not just watch it when she hit’s the sack if she does not want to watch it. 

Enjoyed it mostly but boy did they just take the blueprint from Se7en and add Bateman (and 45 min of unnecessary screen time.)

I started watching on Monday, fell asleep halfway through. Finished up last night, dozed off a few times again. Overall, pretty meh. Some of the music sounded an awful like the Darth Vader theme.
Did your husband feed and put a bottle of wine in you?!  :yawn:

It was decent enough, but was never going to be as good as Nolan's near perfection.

Also, kinda felt like it ripped off the "Saw" franchise.

Gotta do a flight across the country next week, Cali to Boston and back in a 3 day span.  The idea of a 3+ hour movie seems very appealing to me right now.  Only 9 more hrs of time to fill after that….

Users who are viewing this thread