What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The biggest fantasy bust of 2014 is....... (1 Viewer)

Not sure how Patterson could ever be considered a bust let alone the bust of 2014. He's performing like last year. He's not that good. He's just fast. He's simply another Robert Meachem.
Isn't the definition of a bust, a player severely underperforming his ADP? Whether anyone thinks he is good or not, or just fast, or cant run routes, yada yada yada, its moot. You guys are losing sight of what a bust is. He was drafted high everywhere and he's been probably the least productive player PER SNAP in the NFL. He is 100%...a BUST.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how Patterson could ever be considered a bust let alone the bust of 2014. He's performing like last year. He's not that good. He's just fast. He's simply another Robert Meachem.
So your policy is to draft only players who have reached their ultimate potential and logged elite performances for more than half of the prior season. Oh and you're smarter and a better talent evaluator than NFL GMs and scouts that unanimously labeled him a first rounder. Sounds like a practical fantasy strategy regardless.

Olaf said:
Bust should be a straight equation of the amount you invested to get the player vs. amount of points that player scored for you. In that regard, Adrian Peterson is the biggest bust because he was either a high first round pick or a large chunk of an auction budget with no return on investment.
My thoughts as well.

At RB:

It's Shady....and it's not close. Guy was drafted what...1.1, 1.2 in almost every draft? RB 16 in PPR

At QB

Toss up between Ryan and Stafford.

WR

Brandon Marshall - WR 14 and you know he was a top 5 WR off the board. He has not been bad...but he has really under performed his ADP thus far.

TE

Zach Ertz - massive over hype.

That's my take.

Isn't the definition of a bust, a player severely underperforming his ADP? Whether anyone thinks he is good or not, or just fast, or cant run routes, yada yada yada, its moot. You guys are losing sight of what a bust is. He was drafted high everywhere and he's been probably the least productive player PER SNAP in the NFL. He is 100%...a BUST.
You would be nuts to have drafted this guy high. He absolutely screams Robert Meachem when I watch him play. He was not even on my radar in redraft.

So your policy is to draft only players who have reached their ultimate potential and logged elite performances for more than half of the prior season. Oh and you're smarter and a better talent evaluator than NFL GMs and scouts that unanimously labeled him a first rounder. Sounds like a practical fantasy strategy regardless.
Yeah. I would say I am. I mean, who was right and who was wrong? I never thought this guy was anything. Just a fast guy. Are you one of these guys that thinks these GM's and scouts are all Harvard level geniuses? Understand that they are not. A lot of them are recycled losers that other team have fired for incompetence. I simply only need to give one example of a coach to prove my point.

I give you Jimmy Raye, who even with Eric Dickerson, never was able to produce a top 10 offense yet continued to get job after job. Fired and then hired repeatedly by the people you think are smart even after years of showing that he sucked as an OC.

At RB:

It's Shady....and it's not close. Guy was drafted what...1.1, 1.2 in almost every draft? RB 16 in PPR

At QB

WR

Brandon Marshall - WR 14 and you know he was a top 5 WR off the board. He has not been bad...but he has really under performed his ADP thus far.

TE

That's my take.
in my humble opinion....it takes more of an adp dropoff than what shady and marshall have done to be a bust....plus with 6 weeks left it wouldn't take much for these guys to climb back up closer to their ADP......a guy like Patterson is a different story...

plus with Shady, not only has he fallen a little......some guys that are ahead of him have significantly outplayed their ADP.....which lowers Shady in the rankings.....Bradshaw, Forsett, Ingram to name a few....same could be said for a handful above Marshall.....

At RB:

At QB

WR

TE

That's my take.
in my humble opinion....it takes more of an adp dropoff than what shady and marshall have done to be a bust....plus with 6 weeks left it wouldn't take much for these guys to climb back up closer to their ADP......a guy like Patterson is a different story...

plus with Shady, not only has he fallen a little......some guys that are ahead of him have significantly outplayed their ADP.....which lowers Shady in the rankings.....Bradshaw, Forsett, Ingram to name a few....same could be said for a handful above Marshall.....
These are big name/ticket guys. Guys that FF players have come to rely on year in year out for a little while. While Marshall has not been bad a lot of guys taken way after him have kicked his ###. And Lamar Miller has out played and scored Shady.....Shady is a massive bust thus far. I think he is playing lousy football.

I don't think that about Marshall....and I think he will finish very strong. But thus far...a mild bust IMO. Those holding out hope for Shady....that's all you have left. I don't see much of a charge for him...maybe a big game...but you clearly can't rely on him this year to win you games.

Marshall....I have a ton more confidence in.

As far as guys outplaying their ADP....that is where leagues are won. Value guys are what win you leagues....first round busts like Shady will lose you a league.

Shady is a massive bust this year (thus far) any way you slice it.

You would be nuts to have drafted this guy high. He absolutely screams Robert Meachem when I watch him play. He was not even on my radar in redraft.
Why? Because they both played at Tennessee? The 2 players are nothing alike. Patterson with the ball in space is probably the most electric runner in the game right now, maybe next to Harvin. Patterson also had a lot of success in the run game when he was being utilized there last season. Meachem was a situational deep threat and a bad one at that. Nor has Meachem even approached a 5-game stretch like Patterson had last year. You can all say its 5 games, yada yada yada, ummm that's a big sample size in the NFL. In fact I cant think of another player who had a stretch like that then just fell off the map. 1 game, ok. 2 games, fine...not 5. Patterson obviously needs a lot of refinement to his game, but his freakish athleticism is very much real.

SameSongNDance said:
ADP wise, the #1 bust this season was technically Ball with Martin a close second. So, if you want to be objective about it, it's Ball.

I didn't own Ball anywhere so for me personally, it was Patterson. I was so hyped coming into the season and it never occurred to me that the dude might actually be a #### receiver on a fundamental level even though it was a such a clear risk in hindsight.
I would say ADP is the biggest bust of the year because when you make your list, it should be a guy that we went into the season saying "no way this guy isn't solid" and you go in thinking that there really aren't any reservations on.

So, you can't say Vernon because there were plenty of people who pointed out his TD rate was unsustainable. That in itself should have pulled some people back.

Shady is a victim of his own lofty standards but at RB 15 or whatever he is right now, he hasn't failed.

But ADP, here's a guy that fits the criteria perfect. He's been durable so nobody expected him to miss time. He's been reliable. he was drafted VERY high. He is the bust of the year because you can't find a guy drafted higher than he was, on average, that has returned so little.

My definitive list - after looking back at my preseason rankings (obviously dependent on scoring system) -

QB - Brees - yes he is not horrible, but nowhere near the value I placed on him...Dalton and Ryan have also burned me enough that never again.

RB - McCoy take sthe cake along with ADP. Regardless of what caused it - ADP was unforseeable which constitutes bust.

WR - Calvin and AJ are candidates based on injury - but when healthy they still produce....Cruz was struck down by injury...so I have to reach to go with Garcon and Harvin. Harvin hyp ewas UNBELEIVABLE heading into the year.

K - Henery, Prater - so many to pick from - who cares it is a kicker.

DL - Hands down Robert Quinn.

LB - Burfict - again it is injury related, but really thought this was the year he emerged.

DB - eithe Barron or Stevei Brown - both 2nd tier guys but they can't even see second tier from where they performed.

QB - Stafford

RB - McCoy

WR - Patterson

TE - V Davis
Stafford has been serviceable, McCoy has been too. People were silly for buying the Patterson hype to begin with so that's there own fault and a lot of people said all offseason that Vernon wouldn't repeat the high TD rate.

That's not a bust list. That is a disappointement.

Gio was fine pre-injury. Megatron same.

Chris Johnson has been horrible.

Martin, terrible.

McCoy, healthy and not good.

QB - Stafford

RB - McCoy

WR - Patterson

TE - V Davis
Stafford has been serviceable, McCoy has been too. People were silly for buying the Patterson hype to begin with so that's there own fault and a lot of people said all offseason that Vernon wouldn't repeat the high TD rate.

Stafford had an ADP of 4. He is cuurently ranked right behind Eli Manning at 15. People were drafting him over Luck.

How is there any other answer than Adrian Peterson? I own him no where but he went top 5 in every draft and ESPN even had him number 1 overall.

Yeah. I would say I am. I mean, who was right and who was wrong? I never thought this guy was anything. Just a fast guy. Are you one of these guys that thinks these GM's and scouts are all Harvard level geniuses? Understand that they are not. A lot of them are recycled losers that other team have fired for incompetence. I simply only need to give one example of a coach to prove my point.

I give you Jimmy Raye, who even with Eric Dickerson, never was able to produce a top 10 offense yet continued to get job after job. Fired and then hired repeatedly by the people you think are smart even after years of showing that he sucked as an OC.
Over the final six games of his rookie year, he averaged 72 yards from scrimmage and a TD a game. Considering he was a rookie and just figuring things out, I think that expecting a trend upward in 2014 was not unreasonable.

How is there any other answer than Adrian Peterson? I own him no where but he went top 5 in every draft and ESPN even had him number 1 overall.
Because if you drafted decent enough depth or were active on the WW, it didn't kill your season because you plugged in someone else.

Contrast that with someone like Keenan Allen, who was drafted as a WR 1/2, played every week, and has been mostly terrible, especially in non-PPR. A guy like that will murder your season.

fantasy stud said:
renesauz said:
The term "bust" is being used too loosely. A guy drafted as RB2 performing as Rb10 or 12 is NOT a "bust", even if he's dissapointing.

A bust is a guy taken in the top 5 rounds that has been relegated to the bench or dropped. Keenan Allen qualifies. Doug Martin does too. McCoy, Megatron- nope
Megaton is close, 1st round pick that wasn't startable for 6 weeks and has only 2 above average games. A lot of teams had a hard time recovering from that.
Yes, but if you did find a way to weather the storm he can win you a title. Ball, Martin and etc. aren't going to be winning anyone anything.
True, in my redraft leagues any team with Calvin fell to far behind. You are correct though
In my 10 team redraft picking 5th, I got:

Calvin in the first

Zac Stacy in the 3rd

Gerhart in the 5th

I survived and I'm in first place at 8-3. (Really 8-2-1 but lost a tie breaker).

I avoided M.Floyd and C.Patterson in every draft. But you could vote for almost any of the 3rd or 4th round ADP picks as bust of the year. Stacey, Spiller, Gerhart, J.Bell, R.Bush, Matthews, Garcon, Cameron, Cruz, AJ, V.Jackson, K.Wright, Welker, Harvin, etc. It's a long list.

He may not be the biggest bust but a QB who was a consensus #4 and is currently sitting #17 in TD passes tied with a rookie QB playing for Oakland, Matt Stafford better finish off strong.

I don't think busts include injured players but I can say they include self induced suspended players such as ADP. Nobody probably did more damage to their fantasy team more than him. Top 4 pick who gave his teams virtually nothing. 93 total yards and one game played. Bravo. Clear cut winner IMO.

In my opinion a bust has to play every week and get crappy results. A guy like McCoy that you just can't sit. If you had AP you could have filled his spot with someone.

McCoy was drafted 1 overall and is performing like RB24 in PPR. Seems like an easy choice considering he has no injury or fluky suspension to fall back on as an excuse. Just pure suckage.

I don't know how it isn't mccoy unanimously. He was the concensus #1 overall pick. He didn't get suspended or injured. He's just horrible.

I don't know how it isn't mccoy unanimously. He was the concensus #1 overall pick. He didn't get suspended or injured. He's just horrible.
Latavius Murray has as many TDs in 4 touches tonight as Shady has for the entire ####### season. I never would've thought of Shady as a between the 20's workhorse who also is not utilized in the passing game. THAT is not what I thought I was drafting.

ADP & Megatron technically should not be labeled busts, but they sure did #### up a lot of seasons.m

All bust team:

Rivers/Ryan

Keenan Allen

Garcon

Harvin

VJax

McCoy

Bell/Bush

V Davis

Prater

SEA
huh?

Rivers was considered around QB 10-15 preseason and is QB9. He's been the opposite of a bust. Matt Ryan was around QB 5-10 Preseason and right now is QB10. These guys are far from busts.

McCoy was drafted 1 overall and is performing like RB24 in PPR. Seems like an easy choice considering he has no injury or fluky suspension to fall back on as an excuse. Just pure suckage.
Agreed
Suckage in fantasy yes, but that's only because the lack of TD's which hasn't really been his fault (Red Zone turnovers, throwing a lot in RZ, etc)

Still the 7th leading rusher in the NFL. Has he looked like himself? No. Been a disappointment? Yes. I'd call him a tentative bust but not the 'biggest bust of the year'

QB: Cam Newton... only 2 rushing tds kills his value
RB: Gotta be Stacy, no?
WR: C. Patterson
TE: V. Davis
DEF: Seattle... Fairly clear top 2 drafted defense, 24th in points this year. Ugh.

Agreed
Suckage in fantasy yes, but that's only because the lack of TD's which hasn't really been his fault (Red Zone turnovers, throwing a lot in RZ, etc)Still the 7th leading rusher in the NFL. Has he looked like himself? No. Been a disappointment? Yes. I'd call him a tentative bust but not the 'biggest bust of the year'
I'm just naming a few guys who are busts

QB - Stafford

RB - McCoy

WR - Patterson

TE - V Davis

Stafford had an ADP of 4. He is cuurently ranked right behind Eli Manning at 15. People were drafting him over Luck.
Not saying mistakes weren't made, but a bust is a guy that just completely is off the map in relation to expectations. Stafford is a mild disappointment but he's nowhere near the feeling you have if you drafted a guy like Peterson. You can still use Stafford. You just have to be realistic he is 10-15 on any given week with the possibility of a top 5 day, unlike Peterson who you know is worth absolute zero.

QB - Stafford

RB - McCoy

WR - Patterson

TE - V Davis

Not saying mistakes weren't made, but a bust is a guy that just completely is off the map in relation to expectations. Stafford is a mild disappointment but he's nowhere near the feeling you have if you drafted a guy like Peterson. You can still use Stafford. You just have to be realistic he is 10-15 on any given week with the possibility of a top 5 day, unlike Peterson who you know is worth absolute zero.
He has been just as, if not more likely to post QB25 numbers as he has QB5. Stafford owners in both my leagues will miss the playoffs because everyone still played him as if he was match up proof.

For the people claiming ADP should be #1 here, I ask who would you rather be- the guy starting Shady every week and getting RB3 numbers or the guy who was forced to pick up Forsett or Shoelace etc to replace Peterson? Mccoy's net damage to a team is greater

For the people claiming ADP should be #1 here, I ask who would you rather be- the guy starting Shady every week and getting RB3 numbers or the guy who was forced to pick up Forsett or Shoelace etc to replace Peterson? Mccoy's net damage to a team is greater
Why even participate in a draft if your team will be fine picking from the waiver wire? Also, you named 2 guys who are performing well every week but what if you were unlucky enough to pick up B.Oliver or J.McKinnon or whatever Cle RB was hot that week or whatever TB RB was hot that week.

This thread has the same basic pattern every single year. Someone wants to make a thread and it starts out with decent players and then dissolves into a bicker-fest of what "bust" means with a ton of people calling out injured players and what "bust" means to them.

One of these years the OP going to write a definition for the use of "bust" for thread purposes...or at least one can hope.

This thread has the same basic pattern every single year. Someone wants to make a thread and it starts out with decent players and then dissolves into a bicker-fest of what "bust" means with a ton of people calling out injured players and what "bust" means to them.

One of these years the OP going to write a definition for the use of "bust" for thread purposes...or at least one can hope.
He did in his original post put 'injuries not withstanding"

I hate the injury excuse, so it should be underperforming adp, or someone who has just sucked who you expected to be good.

I think Ball is still a good candidate as even though he was injured, before injury if he kept that up he would for sure lead this list. Shady has ran the ball decently, just no rz chances. Stacy on the other hand, was going in round 3ish in most leagues, and simply sucked and lost his job to a better runner. Gotta be him at RB.

I don't get all the Rivers/Ryan/Stafford talk though.... aren't all these guys either above, or no less then 5 spots below their preseason ADP? Maybe Stafford is a bit lower though

Don't think ive seen this name at all...how about Drew Brees?

He was the consensus #2 QB, at worst #3 and he's been average really all year. For where he was taken in drafts, he's been a pretty solid bust IMO.

Don't think ive seen this name at all...how about Drew Brees?

He was the consensus #2 QB, at worst #3 and he's been average really all year. For where he was taken in drafts, he's been a pretty solid bust IMO.
For people that take early QBs id have to agree.

Deamon said:
biju said:

I hate the injury excuse, so it should be underperforming adp, or someone who has just sucked who you expected to be good.

I think Ball is still a good candidate as even though he was injured, before injury if he kept that up he would for sure lead this list. Shady has ran the ball decently, just no rz chances. Stacy on the other hand, was going in round 3ish in most leagues, and simply sucked and lost his job to a better runner. Gotta be him at RB.

I don't get all the Rivers/Ryan/Stafford talk though.... aren't all these guys either above, or no less then 5 spots below their preseason ADP? Maybe Stafford is a bit lower though
Stafford was drafted either QB4 or QB5, right with Andrew Luck. In my leagues, Stafford is currently QB14 in both. That's a bust in my books. You could have waited 3 rounds later and got the same if not better QB production.

And some actually had the choice of Stafford or Luck. The difference picking wrong is huge, since Luck is currently QB1 in probably all leagues.

Deamon said:
biju said:

Deamon said:
biju said:

before injury Ball was averaging 11.5 PPG in PPR which would put him in the RB2 crowd of a 12 team league....considering he was drafted after most of the big dogs (not sure of his exact ADP)....that is not that big of a dropoff, at least not as big as shady right now....

workdog3 said:
fredsavage said:
Precisely. McCoy is far and away the easy answer to the question. The other guys mentioned (AP, Ball, Stacy) aren't in your weekly lineups and therefore you're able to utilize the RB spot with someone else. McCoy, on the other hand, is draining your performance week after week because you're forced to start him on name value alone.
:goodposting:

Shady owner in multiple leagues... It's been a tough season

before injury Ball was averaging 11.5 PPG in PPR which would put him in the RB2 crowd of a 12 team league....considering he was drafted after most of the big dogs (not sure of his exact ADP)....that is not that big of a dropoff, at least not as big as shady right now....
Ball played in 4 games and had 38 points total. 9.5 PPG. Ugh.

My All-Thanks-For-Nothing Team (FFPC Scoring)

QB: Matt Stafford (QB14) - We'll always have week one!

RB: CJ Spiller (RB47) - Several weeks of crap before breaking

RB: Toby Gerhart (RB60) - What the HELL was that?

WR: Cordarelle Patterson (WR64) - You broke my heart.

WR: Pierre Garcon (WR43) - Sacre Bleu!

WR: Justin Hunter (WR69) - Justin Capable

TE: Ladarius Green (TE44) - Ladarius Invisable

Def: Seattle (D22) - Facepalm

The term "bust" is being used too loosely. A guy drafted as RB2 performing as Rb10 or 12 is NOT a "bust", even if he's dissapointing.

A bust is a guy taken in the top 5 rounds that has been relegated to the bench or dropped. Keenan Allen qualifies. Doug Martin does too. McCoy, Megatron- nope
Megaton is close, 1st round pick that wasn't startable for 6 weeks and has only 2 above average games. A lot of teams had a hard time recovering from that.
Megaton was gone when the atomic bomb was activated. The sheriff was a nice guy, too. I could live without the barkeeper.

Users who are viewing this thread