What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The biggest fantasy bust of 2014 is....... (1 Viewer)

mijatra

Footballguy
I'd have to say Vernon Davis. He was a top TE the past few years. Sure guys like Jordan Cameron have been terrible, but at least he' has the injury excuse. Who else has Ben so disappointing, injuries not withstanding?

ADP & Megatron technically should not be labeled busts, but they sure did #### up a lot of seasons.m

All bust team:

Rivers/Ryan

Keenan Allen

Garcon

Harvin

VJax

McCoy

Bell/Bush

V Davis

Prater

SEA

Zac Stacy

Martin

Gerhart

Keenan Allen, compared to expectations from last year's season

Crabtree

I definitely agree on Davis, too.

The term "bust" is being used too loosely. A guy drafted as RB2 performing as Rb10 or 12 is NOT a "bust", even if he's dissapointing.

A bust is a guy taken in the top 5 rounds that has been relegated to the bench or dropped. Keenan Allen qualifies. Doug Martin does too. McCoy, Megatron- nope

I had a horrible RB draft. Ball, Martin, Spiller my first 3. I thought I was set lol. It's Ball for my money.

Montee Ball, Toby Gerhart, and Zac Stacy would be at the top of the RB list for me. Paterson is the only player at WR that has been a huge bust in my opinion. Keenan, Floyd, etc. are disappointing, but they have both had moments of solid production. I would have put Torrey Smith on the list prior to the last few weeks.

ADP wise, the #1 bust this season was technically Ball with Martin a close second. So, if you want to be objective about it, it's Ball.

I didn't own Ball anywhere so for me personally, it was Patterson. I was so hyped coming into the season and it never occurred to me that the dude might actually be a #### receiver on a fundamental level even though it was a such a clear risk in hindsight.

The term "bust" is being used too loosely. A guy drafted as RB2 performing as Rb10 or 12 is NOT a "bust", even if he's dissapointing.

A bust is a guy taken in the top 5 rounds that has been relegated to the bench or dropped. Keenan Allen qualifies. Doug Martin does too. McCoy, Megatron- nope
Megaton is close, 1st round pick that wasn't startable for 6 weeks and has only 2 above average games. A lot of teams had a hard time recovering from that.

Megaton is close, 1st round pick that wasn't startable for 6 weeks and has only 2 above average games. A lot of teams had a hard time recovering from that.
Yes, but if you did find a way to weather the storm he can win you a title. Ball, Martin and etc. aren't going to be winning anyone anything.

I agree with this and injured players shouldn't count either. They didn't bust they got hurt in a violent game, it happens to almost everyone.

Cam

Joique Bell

Gerhart

Micheal Floyd

Torrey Smith

Vincent Jackson

Harvin

Colston

Welker

Nicks

Ertz

Vernon Davis

Ladrius Green

Detroit Kickers

Seattle Def

Really, this seems like the year of the bust. Just not as many consistent difference makers anymore. It seems like the new secret to winning in fantasy football is collect as many guys involved in the packers or broncos passing offense. Both of my leagues top teams are dominated with those players.

Yes, but if you did find a way to weather the storm he can win you a title. Ball, Martin and etc. aren't going to be winning anyone anything.
True, in my redraft leagues any team with Calvin fell to far behind. You are correct though

I agree with this and injured players shouldn't count either. They didn't bust they got hurt in a violent game, it happens to almost everyone.

Cam

Joique Bell

Gerhart

Micheal Floyd

Torrey Smith

Vincent Jackson

Harvin

Colston

Welker

Nicks

Ertz

Vernon Davis

Ladrius Green

Detroit Kickers

Seattle Def
floyd...you can't be serious? Eta....in just looked it up for some reason I thought he had done more....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll vote Vincent Jackson.

At least with the guys who have been injured/suspended/benched you were able to put someone else in your lineup. VJax owners have been starting him every week just to get WR4 numbers.

ETA: Keenan Allen and Victor Cruz.

Cam

Joique Bell

Gerhart

Micheal Floyd

Torrey Smith

Vincent Jackson

Harvin

Colston

Welker

Nicks

Ertz

Vernon Davis

Ladrius Green

Detroit Kickers

Seattle Def
floyd...you can't be serious? Eta....in just looked it up for some reason I thought he had done more....
He is wide receiver 51 in ppr scoring. He was being drafted as a wr2. He is behind guys like Eddie Royal and Odell Beckham who has only played 6 games. He is the definition of a bust.

I'll vote Vincent Jackson.

At least with the guys who have been injured/suspended/benched you were able to put someone else in your lineup. VJax owners have been starting him every week just to get WR4 numbers.
Yeah, #### VJax. He did it with Freeman but couldn't do it with McCown?

Bust should be a straight equation of the amount you invested to get the player vs. amount of points that player scored for you. In that regard, Adrian Peterson is the biggest bust because he was either a high first round pick or a large chunk of an auction budget with no return on investment.
In an absolute sense, yes, but in FF we get to start different players if we lose one. Many Peterson owners did pretty well for awhile substituting Asiata.

QB: Stafford

WR: Patterson

WR: Harvin

WR: V. Jackson

RB: Stacy

RB: Gerhart

TE: Davis

Flex: CJ2K

K: Meh

DEF: Seattle

So I went with players that vastly underperformed but have not been injured this year.

Lots of good choices, but my biggest bust was Gio Bernard. he was supposed to be the cornerstone to my offense...I suppose had I picked McCoy instead of Bernard with my first pick I'd be complaining about McCoy as well - or ADP.

Lots of good choices, but my biggest bust was Gio Bernard. he was supposed to be the cornerstone to my offense...I suppose had I picked McCoy instead of Bernard with my first pick I'd be complaining about McCoy as well - or ADP.
Yeah, you lost him but until he got hurt he was the #9 RB in PPR.

QB: Stafford

WR: Patterson

WR: Harvin

WR: V. Jackson

RB: Stacy

RB: Gerhart

TE: Davis

Flex: CJ2K

K: Meh

DEF: Seattle

So I went with players that vastly underperformed but have not been injured this year.
Yep the biggest busts are the guys that suck, but are on the field, and create weekly WDIS dilemmas.

Guys like AP, everyone put somebody else in and managed to get some points.

ADP & Megatron technically should not be labeled busts, but they sure did #### up a lot of seasons.m

All bust team:

Rivers/Ryan

Keenan Allen

Garcon

Harvin

VJax

McCoy

Bell/Bush

V Davis

Prater

SEA
Rivers huh?
QB5 a year ago, VG weeks 2-6, terrible (he just is) the last 5 weeks/4 games.
2 bad weeks by my count.
He played at a very high level through Week 6 (QB3 or QB4). He's been QB31 in the last 5 weeks/4 games.

I like this all bust team concept where the players were healthy but just sucked. Let's see..

My rankings are PPG and PPR.

QB - Mathew Stafford (QB20)

RB - LeSean McCoy (RB23)

RB - Chris Johnson (RB55)

RB - Bishop Sankey (RB59)

WR - Pierre Garcon (WR51)

WR - Michael Floyd (WR61)

WR - Cordarrelle Patterson (WR68)

TE - Zach Ertz (TE22)

This was the year to have a pick at the end of the first round instead of a high pick. I avoided most of the major disappointments in teams where I drafted from the 10-12 spot.

Also almost every consensus WR/RB/TE pick in rounds 3-4 was a bust. Round 5 wasn't much better. You could have almost just skipped the entire list of players with a 3/4 round ADP and just started picking again from there. I can't recall a year like this as far as the number of landmines in the early rounds. The way it turned out also supported the argument for taking a QB like Rodgers or Brees in 3/4 instead of waiting. Sure you might have ended up with Luck instead, but chances are you scored Ryan or Foles or worse. Lastly, this year also destroyed the notion that rookie WR usually take time to develop. You could have drafted an entire WR core of rookies and would probably be in first place right now, as there are 5 rookie WR in the top 25 WR.

This was the year to have a pick at the end of the first round instead of a high pick. I avoided most of the major disappointments in teams where I drafted from the 10-12 spot.

Also almost every consensus WR/RB/TE pick in rounds 3-4 was a bust. Round 5 wasn't much better. You could have almost just skipped the entire list of players with a 3/4 round ADP and just started picking again from there. I can't recall a year like this as far as the number of landmines in the early rounds. The way it turned out also supported the argument for taking a QB like Rodgers or Brees in 3/4 instead of waiting. Sure you might have ended up with Luck instead, but chances are you scored Ryan or Foles or worse. Lastly, this year also destroyed the notion that rookie WR usually take time to develop. You could have drafted an entire WR core of rookies and would probably be in first place right now, as there are 5 rookie WR in the top 25 WR.
Yea, I picked at the turn in one league and went AJ Green/Montee Ball (And then wen Keenan Allen, so I'm f'd in that league, yea). Passed on Murray (although grabbed Murray in another, just hedged my bets). Lots of busts this year.

Shady and Patterson top the list for me. Shady has been a no brainer RB1 in the past. Now he's finding the pine on FF teams.........the key to him being THE top bust for me is, he's been on the field and has not produced. Either him or Charles were the #1 pick in the majority of redrafts. Its not like he's been hurt or suspended. He just isn't getting it done. Huge disappointment.

Patterson has a ton of talent, but isn't polished, and is on a team with QB issues. Lots of us thought he'd take the next step this year. Wrong!

Mr. Know-It-All said:
good point..Gio is a bust this season.

Ray Rice - looked great in preseason, you knew he'd miss 2 weeks, with Kubiak's offense, he could've run wild..

McCoy - how the mighty have fallen.

BobbyLayne said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
BobbyLayne said:
Peyton Marino said:
BobbyLayne said:

All bust team:

Rivers/Ryan

Keenan Allen

Garcon

Harvin

VJax

McCoy

Bell/Bush

V Davis

Prater

SEA
Rivers huh?
QB5 a year ago, VG weeks 2-6, terrible (he just is) the last 5 weeks/4 games.
2 bad weeks by my count.
He played at a very high level through Week 6 (QB3 or QB4). He's been QB31 in the last 5 weeks/4 games.
Rivers has been soild. When did you draft him? I got him in round 6 and he's exceeded my expectations by a landslide.

Busts are Ball, Patterson, Martin, Harvin, etc. Those were all high draft picks that did nothing all year.

I think McCoy has to be the pick. If a guy is injured you aren't starting him and in a lot of cases have a decent enough back up. Putting a top guy in only to get mediocre results is the very thing that will cost you wins.

Zac Stacy? I thought he was going to suck this year, but some people drafted him in the 3rd round.

AP had to be the biggest though. He didn't play poorly this year, but he was some people's #1 pick. I don't care how he missed the time, he only played one game. He probably cost most owners shots at the playoff.

Like doing a list by position. I'll list guys from my main league. Trying to make it guys that haven't been injured because that's just too easy.

QB: Stafford (QB17)

RB: McCoy (RB16)

RB: Stacy (RB49)

WR: Allen (WR35)

WR: Garcon (WR43)

WR: TSmith (WR41)

TE: Ertz (TE17)

Users who are viewing this thread