What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Boys on Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

I'd guess that V has something addictive in it, based on the way Popclaw talked about it to A-Train, and we also see that in the way his behavior changed when we knew he was on it and the way Popclaw acted when she was on it. Maybe they don't necessarily need to keep taking it to maintain their abilities, but judging by how it enhanced A-Train's speed, it appears that it will continue enhancing but at a horrible price.
Right, she took it to see what it was like so clearly she didn’t need it but he appeared to actually need it. He was going to lose to that other guy if he didn’t juice.

Maybe he doesn’t need it but without it he’s not the fastest so he’s taking it to boost his power?

Not sure they’ll ever even cover it.

Yeah, and other "people" (who I assume were younger) were becoming faster than A-Train. I think he felt pressure to stay the fastest man on earth.
Exactly what I was typing. We may find out he wasn’t given it the same way as others but if you are asking me why and I had to answer it’s because he’s not the fastest without it. Maybe some more physical powers do wear off. His power seems like something that takes a lot more effort and based on his brother I don’t think A-Train is young.

Exactly what I was typing. We may find out he wasn’t given it the same way as others but if you are asking me why and I had to answer it’s because he’s not the fastest without it. Maybe some more physical powers do wear off. His power seems like something that takes a lot more effort and based on his brother I don’t think A-Train is young.
It's probably also safe to presume that V has been 'refined' over 40 years, so the younger supes could very well be getting a more potent dose.

Isn't that the point? I mean, she's one of the few apparently virtuous, but maybe nobody is supposed to be truly virtuous. 

I assume you mean something more than being bulimic. 
Absolutely they all have their flaws.  My point about Starlight is that she doesn't seem to be bothered about covering up a 'shameful' secret like bulimia.  She seems too self-aware and confident in public and in private, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we see her making more trips to the bathroom and this becomes more prevalent, and it would be a great slow burn across these first two seasons.

It's probably also safe to presume that V has been 'refined' over 40 years, so the younger supes could very well be getting a more potent dose.
Yep, heck they may not have been giving it to babies before Starlight. Definitely agree on the refinement and changes to dosing. A-Train doesn’t seem like he’s super young. That said I do think he may just be fast but not super fast so he may have been dosing before.

Yep, heck they may not have been giving it to babies before Starlight. Definitely agree on the refinement and changes to dosing. A-Train doesn’t seem like he’s super young. That said I do think he may just be fast but not super fast so he may have been dosing before.
Since the narrative is supposed to be that the supes were born with their powers, it's probably safe to say Vaught has been dosing babies from the beginning, or at least before the child can remember.  Hopefully we'll get more of Homelander's and Maeve's backstories, as they seem to be among the first generation.

When A-Train raced Shockwave, there was a quick shot of their stats, like before a boxing match, and IIRC, his age was listed as 31. Either the V is getting more effective on younger supes, or A-Train has been secretly juicing longer than we know, so his status as fastest may have been the result of juicing all along. It's probably safe to say he takes extra V when he was running it all over the globe for Homelander, and we don't really have any idea how long he's been doing that.

I just assumed it was because ATrain was getting older and because he had gotten lazy/soft from success. There was the training scene with his brother where ATrain basically blew him off about actual training and practice putting everything on hoping to obtain another dose of V in order to win.

Now I have to re-watch again, because I completely missed her saying anything about that to her mother.  The first time I remember it being mentioned was when the video of her beating up the guys who were about to rape the girl that was with them comes out, Starlight's handler reads one of the comments about her, and it includes the line "I knew her in high school. She was bulimic."
I could be mixing up some of the lines/dialogue. 

I just assumed it was because ATrain was getting older and because he had gotten lazy/soft from success. There was the training scene with his brother where ATrain basically blew him off about actual training and practice putting everything on hoping to obtain another dose of V in order to win.
I'm not convinced yet that age is a factor, rather it's more that he's addicted to the enhanced performance that using V gives him.  Then again, in real life, high level athletes usually start losing a step when they hit 30, so he could very well be slowing down, which opens the door for other supes also having a limited shelf life.  Maybe Homelander's increasingly erratic behavior/paranoia is a side effect of the V in his system weakening.

Just got renewed for season 3
That's interesting. I mean, not unprecendented, but who knows how Season 2 will pan out -- seen good shows sour quickly (Prison Break and Heroes were two I remember starting strong then doing a bad 180 in Season 2).

I don't think this will happen with The Boys given such great characters (who know though) - wonder if this has more to do with wanting to get ahead of film schedules with COVID and gamble by putting it in the can, knowing that other original shows may be delayed/cancelled/put on hold, etc.

That's interesting. I mean, not unprecendented, but who knows how Season 2 will pan out -- seen good shows sour quickly (Prison Break and Heroes were two I remember starting strong then doing a bad 180 in Season 2).

I don't think this will happen with The Boys given such great characters (who know though) - wonder if this has more to do with wanting to get ahead of film schedules with COVID and gamble by putting it in the can, knowing that other original shows may be delayed/cancelled/put on hold, etc.
Don't know if you've seen this preview show for lack of a better term. All of the major characters except Maeve are there and they discuss the upcoming season.  One of the points Producer Eric Kripke makes is that they work with current events for their stories, and this year they're 'taking on' white supremacy AND white nationalism.  I wouldn't think that would have anything o do with it, but I'm guessing it doesn't hurt, either.

Don't know if you've seen this preview show for lack of a better term. All of the major characters except Maeve are there and they discuss the upcoming season.  One of the points Producer Eric Kripke makes is that they work with current events for their stories, and this year they're 'taking on' white supremacy AND white nationalism.  I wouldn't think that would have anything o do with it, but I'm guessing it doesn't hurt, either.
Thanks for posting that! Cool watch (didn't get through the whole thing but will watch the rest later). Not sure if "ripped from the headlines"/"making a social commentary statement" is a winning (if not tired) trope that's easy to pull off subtly, especially with the times being what they are, but as long as they keep it topical, fresh, and compelling like the first season was, good on them. 

Thanks! Missed that and looks good and dark and teases a more complex storyline than the first teaser.

I noticed this in the first season but much of this has to be filmed in Toronto. Unmistakable Massey Hall at 0:25 -- Hollywood is getting good at building CGI digital cityscapes on top of existing structures. 

Thanks for posting that! Cool watch (didn't get through the whole thing but will watch the rest later). Not sure if "ripped from the headlines"/"making a social commentary statement" is a winning (if not tired) trope that's easy to pull off subtly, especially with the times being what they are, but as long as they keep it topical, fresh, and compelling like the first season was, good on them. 

Thanks! Missed that and looks good and dark and teases a more complex storyline than the first teaser.

I noticed this in the first season but much of this has to be filmed in Toronto. Unmistakable Massey Hall at 0:25 -- Hollywood is getting good at building CGI digital cityscapes on top of existing structures. 
My "ripped from the headlines" comment was sort of a reference to the Watchmen HBO series, since the main plot was dealing with a white supremacist group, and it just seems like too much of a coincidence.

Heroes had great characters too, their problem was that they couldn't just let Sylar die.  They needed to take a page from George R. R. Martin and just be content killing off beloved/important characters and bringing in new characters or advancing minor ones.

Supposedly according to Data Analytics The Boys and Umbrella Academy for Netflix are both huge Non-Marvel superhero hits. I liked season 2 of Umbrella better than one, hoping for more of the same with The Boys in a few weeks.

Foosball God said:
Heroes had great characters too, their problem was that they couldn't just let Sylar die.  They needed to take a page from George R. R. Martin and just be content killing off beloved/important characters and bringing in new characters or advancing minor ones.
100% right on Heroes. It’s why TWD fell apart as well. GOTs is the only show I recall where the people you thought were the leaders got killed all the times. Of course they f’d that up in the last season two when seemingly no one died fighting the WW. If Heroes has killed Sylar and just moved forward, it could have been so much better. It’s amazing how much show runners think people care about stars in shows like this. It’s not Friends or This is Us where people like specific characters. While we do in SciFi/fantasy/zombie type shows, it’s OK if not everyone lives, especially the super powerful villain who can’t ever die.

Prison Break was in the same 1 great season/movie like The Matrix. Great idea that worked really well but no thought about what comes next and because of that the next seasons/movies were awful compared to the first.

Should I rewatch S1 in anticipation of S2 kicking off?  I think I might.  Hmmmm.
I just did that. Binged it with my son.  In rewatching, my jaw drop realization was that Popclaw, who I found unusually sexy, was played by the same actress that played the decidedly unsexy lead in the Netflix horror/thriller, What Keeps You Alive.

Should I rewatch S1 in anticipation of S2 kicking off?  I think I might.  Hmmmm.
Absolute yes - I just rewatched a couple weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it all again. I hadn't watched it since it debuted, so it was interesting how much I apparently retained in my subconscious, as I had forgotten a lot of what happened, but then as I watched certain scenes triggered the memory and I would think to myself - "Oh yeah, this is what is going to happen"

Supposedly according to Data Analytics The Boys and Umbrella Academy for Netflix are both huge Non-Marvel superhero hits. I liked season 2 of Umbrella better than one, hoping for more of the same with The Boys in a few weeks.
I'm halfway through season 2 of The Umbrella Academy and it's okay, but I just can't get into it like The Boys or Stranger Things.

Don’t think it’s been posted here in the thread, but only the first 3 episodes are dropping on Sept 4th! Then weekly releases of the next 5 eps. I assume Amazon is hoping that will drive discussion, hype, etc like most broadcast shows.

Jensen Ackels (Supernatural) and Shawn Ashmore (Iceman in the first 3 X-men movies and DOFP) have been cast for season 3. Also rumors that they are trying to get Jeffrey Dean Morgan to guest star for season 3 as well if they can work around his Walking Dead schedule and the travel quarantine due to COVID.

Don’t think it’s been posted here in the thread, but only the first 3 episodes are dropping on Sept 4th! Then weekly releases of the next 5 eps. I assume Amazon is hoping that will drive discussion, hype, etc like most broadcast shows.

Jensen Ackels (Supernatural) and Shawn Ashmore (Iceman in the first 3 X-men movies and DOFP) have been cast for season 3. Also rumors that they are trying to get Jeffrey Dean Morgan to guest star for season 3 as well if they can work around his Walking Dead schedule and the travel quarantine due to COVID.
I like that release format. I don’t mind binging sometimes but sometimes it’s over too quick. The weekly shows spread you out a bit.

I like that release format. I don’t mind binging sometimes but sometimes it’s over too quick. The weekly shows spread you out a bit.
I agree, think it’s a good idea. There was a thread months ago talking about how no show will ever be as big as GOT because everything gets binged now. Really think a lot of the better streaming shows would have benefitted from the once a week format. Stranger Things for example where like every episode ends on a cliffhanger.

Didn't see it mentioned, so I'm gonna ask.  What's with the fly in a couple scenes in season 1?  I mean, i think it's there intentionally because of the audible buzz of it flying around.  If it's from the comic, I haven't read it and a simple, "Yes, it's a plot point that'll be revealed" is fine.  If not, how did such a glaring error made it through post-production?

Rewatching it with the wife, who hadn't seen it yet. She's not a superhero fan, but seems to be enjoying this...the writing holds up really well.

The scene in the NICU where Butcher grabs the kid as a weapon, exalting afterwards with a crazy grin, "that was ####### diabolical!". :lmao:
I just started that episode. Looking forward to that scene again. Ashamed to admit I paused the baptism scene a couple of times because I think I saw something.

Got through 1 and a half last night, going to have to close off my office and have an "important conference call so do not disturb dad" to watch the rest this morning

There better be some extra good twists and cliffhangers that generate discussion/speculation for them to do this.  

There better be some extra good twists and cliffhangers that generate discussion/speculation for them to do this.  
You don't like waiting to watch? I prefer it, tbh.

ETA...mostly because it allows us to discuss the show as it's happening. Full season drops don't really generate discussion

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got through episode 3. Glad to wait each week. Nice to have something to look forward to watch for a change. Awesome so far. Really dark though and I have no clue where they will go. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some team ups we would never expect.

Rewatching it with the wife, who hadn't seen it yet. She's not a superhero fan, but seems to be enjoying this...the writing holds up really well.

The scene in the NICU where Butcher grabs the kid as a weapon, exalting afterwards with a crazy grin, "that was ####### diabolical!". :lmao:
If anyone liked that scene they of course highlighted it during the season 1 recap at the start of season 2. 

I'm only one episode in which is way too early to make any judgments other than "so far so good."

That said, they're going to have a hard time living up to season one.  IMO, Homelander is the best character in the show by a pretty wide margin, and I think you lose quite a bit of storytelling by knowing that he's evil right from the first episode.  It was a lot of fun watching his character arc in the first season. 

Users who are viewing this thread