What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Boys on Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

I think it’s still ambiguous. Homelander claimed it was consensual, but IIRC the wife looks a little shaken up on the video of her leaving the apartment.

At that point, I don’t really know why Homelander would lie. And she didn’t react to Homelander showing up like she had a surprise visit by the guy who raped her. Her reaction was guilt toward Billy because he now knows the truth.

Really dug the concept at first*, but I didn't think it held up through the whole season.  The end picked up again, and I'll definitely watch a season 2, but I'm only luke warm on my anticipation.

*I hadn't seen Captain America: Civil War when I watched the Boys.  Then when we got Disney+ I went back to watch Civil War, and thought the Boys concept was a little bit of a rip off there, or at least derivative.

Really dug the concept at first*, but I didn't think it held up through the whole season.  The end picked up again, and I'll definitely watch a season 2, but I'm only luke warm on my anticipation.

*I hadn't seen Captain America: Civil War when I watched the Boys.  Then when we got Disney+ I went back to watch Civil War, and thought the Boys concept was a little bit of a rip off there, or at least derivative.
I'm trying to remember what the common elements would be between the two (saw Civil War a long time ago).  Can you elaborate?

While neither are original concepts, the two things that I thought The Boys did really well were (1) showing how superpowers lead to sociopathic behavior even among so-called heroes; and (2) the corporatization and monetization of superheroes.

I'm trying to remember what the common elements would be between the two (saw Civil War a long time ago).  Can you elaborate?

While neither are original concepts, the two things that I thought The Boys did really well were (1) showing how superpowers lead to sociopathic behavior even among so-called heroes; and (2) the corporatization and monetization of superheroes.
I guess they were done in different ways, but trying to put a super hero world into the real world concept.  In Marvel, they had to abide by the UN rules (or whatever the details were).  In The Boys, it was the super heroes being run by a corporation.

I guess they are making a lot of super hero shows and movies, so the "how would this really work in the real world" idea has probably been done before, but I saw them so close together, and they seemed very similar to me, so I found it unoriginal (at the moment).

I readily admit, if I had seen them in real time, several years apart, I might not have made the same observation.

What makes this show so great is how well they do conveying the supes as real people with real problems.

Homelander - sadistic crazy mother####er who is totally ####ed up by his upbringing

Starlight - struggle between wanting to do good and wanting what she always dreamed of

The Deep - emotionally tormented as he struggles to fit in

A-Train - do anything to be king of the hill mentality

Etc.

They are all done extremely well and the interaction between character arcs is top notch.

Both are from comic books that are over 10 years old, so which ever comic book came out first would be the one that was ripped off.

At that point, I don’t really know why Homelander would lie. And she didn’t react to Homelander showing up like she had a surprise visit by the guy who raped her. Her reaction was guilt toward Billy because he now knows the truth.

Also, who 

wouldn't be a little shaken up after that encounter, even if consensual? She's fortunate to still have her innards intact

Ok. I guess I'll stick it out, but only because the shows a blast, really well done across the board and because that trailer looked epic. Other than that, I'm probably out. 

I'm still bummed the older, hot lady boss won't be back.  😪
Uhh you speak of her like she's a nobody. :lol:

Elisabeth Shue.  Come a long way since Karate Kid.  That's for sure.

Ok. I guess I'll stick it out, but only because the shows a blast, really well done across the board and because that trailer looked epic. Other than that, I'm probably out. 
:lol:    Ditto.

Just finished S1 and really liked it.  Big fan of Karl Urban.  Can't wait for S2.  Anyone know when it's supposed to drop in 2020?

Uhh you speak of her like she's a nobody. :lol:

Elisabeth Shue.  Come a long way since Karate Kid.  That's for sure.

:lol:    Ditto.

Just finished S1 and really liked it.  Big fan of Karl Urban.  Can't wait for S2.  Anyone know when it's supposed to drop in 2020?
Middle 2020. No official date yet

I know I'm a little late to the game, but I just started watching season 1, episode 1. Looking forward to catching up.

Mixed emotions about Ann Cusack playing Starlight's mom (thought she was hot in an off-beat way when she was in Multiplicity and Grosse Pointe Blank, but she has aged a LOT in the meantime), and so far, HD is not a friend of several of the other actors/actresses, either.

I know it's only 1 episode so far, but I'm getting a feeling about Huey having some kind of latent superpower.  If the 7 were based on the Avengers instead of the Justice League, I'd say he's going to be their version of The Hulk, but the Justice League doesn't have a Hulk-like character, so I'm at a dead end on that.

Oh well.  :popcorn:  

Just finished season 1.

Standing by my comment about how unflattering the close ups of the older actors has been-Elizabeth Shue and Ann Cusack in particular, but also noticed many of the actors in general had less than the usual flawless complexions I'm used to.  Guess I'm still adjusting to HD.

Lots of great acting, but the biggest standouts to me so far have been Hailey Jo Osment and Karen Fukuhara (Kimmiko). Osment was a perfect cast for his character, and Fukuhara has been great showing a range of emotions without speaking a word. 

Looking forward to season 2, GB my wife for getting Amazon Prime.

Just finished season 1.

Standing by my comment about how unflattering the close ups of the older actors has been-Elizabeth Shue and Ann Cusack in particular, but also noticed many of the actors in general had less than the usual flawless complexions I'm used to.  Guess I'm still adjusting to HD.
Seemed like they went out of their way to focus on the eye scar on Anthony Starr / Homelander.

Seemed like they went out of their way to focus on the eye scar on Anthony Starr / Homelander.
It seems like either a budget issue or a deliberate attempt to make everyone more real. Either way it was pretty bold of the older actresses to appear so aged.

Great show.  Aside from Ozark and maybe Stranger Things, I don't think I've enjoyed a show more the past few years.

Glad to see it coming back for season 2.

Just finished season 1.

Lots of great acting, but the biggest standouts to me so far have been Hailey Jo Osment and Karen Fukuhara (Kimmiko). Osment was a perfect cast for his character, and Fukuhara has been great showing a range of emotions without speaking a word. 

Looking forward to season 2, GB my wife for getting Amazon Prime.
Been awhile since I watched it but I don't remember Osment in the show.  Kid from Sixth Sense right?

I've been watching YouTube videos speculating about season 2 and it looks like a bunch of new supes are possibly coming (Stormfront, Technine, Swatto, etc.)

Also, I think Frenchie did his girl wrong in season 1. She made sure to tell him immediately that he was burned. Instead of following up with her, he was all about Kimiko. Maybe she gets vengeance in season 2?

in terms of "power" (wink, wink), how would you rank Queen Maeve, Starlight, and PopClaw? 

I'm thinking PopClaw, Starlight, then Queen Maeve.

I saw this pop up and watched season 1 again this weekend. Great show, so looking forward to the next season. Hopefully, it’s stays as good.

I've been watching YouTube videos speculating about season 2 and it looks like a bunch of new supes are possibly coming (Stormfront, Technine, Swatto, etc.)

Also, I think Frenchie did his girl wrong in season 1. She made sure to tell him immediately that he was burned. Instead of following up with her, he was all about Kimiko. Maybe she gets vengeance in season 2?
Perhaps she comes back as a Supe named SmokeShow.  

Perhaps she comes back as a Supe named SmokeShow.  
Even though I binge-watched the whole 1st season, I still feel like I know very little about this world, so I'm completely guessing here; her 'place' seems more behind the scenes, i.e., logistics, intel, weapons, etc., so  I would guess that she falls into Vaught's clutches and either joins them (the whole 'woman scorned' trope) or they keep her in some sort of black site, where she's alternatively tortured for information and/or used as bait to lure Frenchie out of hiding. On a more out-there note, maybe if Vaught captures her, they give to Homelander and he puts a baby into her--a little psychological warfare with Frenchie like what he accidentally did with Billy Butcher...?  This is a messed-up show, so I could definitely see this option on the table.

Confirmed that September 4th is the release date for season 2.  A couple new trailers just dropped too:

I'm Stormfront

Don't mess with Black Noir
I doubt Stillwell would have brought in Stormfront, and given what I read about Stormfront's ability, I wonder how 'official' her addition to the Seven really was.  From the trailers featuring her, it's clear she's putting Homelander on edge, and since he's supposedly Vought's most valuable commodity, it makes no sense for them to bring in someone who ruffles his feathers.

As for the clip with Black Noir, I hope that's not from the first episode; that would be too quick a resolution to a story arc they teased last season.

Also FWIW, I've watched the entire series three times now since I discovered it 6 months ago, and I'll probably watch it a couple more times before Sept. 4.

Rewatching season 1 right now -  amazing how I didn't really remember a lot of the details of what happened until I started rewatching, and then it triggered a bunch of "oh yeah, this is going to happen" memories.

Rewatching season 1 right now -  amazing how I didn't really remember a lot of the details of what happened until I started rewatching, and then it triggered a bunch of "oh yeah, this is going to happen" memories.
I've watched season 1 start to finish about 4 times now and have had that same experience every time, plus things you've seen but didn't pay much attention to finally sink in.  For me, it wasn't until about the 3rd time through I made the connection with Starlight and frequent visits to the toilet to vomit.  Still not quite sure that she's really bulimic, and they don't really draw a lot of attention to it, but something's definitely going on with her.  My wild guess is that her body is trying to reject the Compound V.

I've watched season 1 start to finish about 4 times now and have had that same experience every time, plus things you've seen but didn't pay much attention to finally sink in.  For me, it wasn't until about the 3rd time through I made the connection with Starlight and frequent visits to the toilet to vomit.  Still not quite sure that she's really bulimic, and they don't really draw a lot of attention to it, but something's definitely going on with her.  My wild guess is that her body is trying to reject the Compound V.
Interesting - I think there was a line in one of the first episodes where she said that her mother putting her in pageants made her bulimic but she was past that - now I will have to rewatch a third time and I'm only on episode 4 of my 2nd viewing

Interesting - I think there was a line in one of the first episodes where she said that her mother putting her in pageants made her bulimic but she was past that - now I will have to rewatch a third time and I'm only on episode 4 of my 2nd viewing
Now I have to re-watch again, because I completely missed her saying anything about that to her mother.  The first time I remember it being mentioned was when the video of her beating up the guys who were about to rape the girl that was with them comes out, Starlight's handler reads one of the comments about her, and it includes the line "I knew her in high school. She was bulimic."

We've already seen A-Train 'juicing' with Compound V, it will be interesting if we see Starlight have more scenes where she's vomiting, and what leads up to it.  So far, both times they've shown her doing that, the reasons have more or less been justified--first after The Deep took advantage of her, and then again when she was drunk at the party when she was flirting with the sailor. It seems to me that if she has this dirty little secret that she's been hiding, as opposed to her trips to the toilet being more caused by something she has no control over, I don't see her pulling off the 'virtuous' vibe she has. But I guess we'll see.

Now I have to re-watch again, because I completely missed her saying anything about that to her mother.  The first time I remember it being mentioned was when the video of her beating up the guys who were about to rape the girl that was with them comes out, Starlight's handler reads one of the comments about her, and it includes the line "I knew her in high school. She was bulimic."

We've already seen A-Train 'juicing' with Compound V, it will be interesting if we see Starlight have more scenes where she's vomiting, and what leads up to it.  So far, both times they've shown her doing that, the reasons have more or less been justified--first after The Deep took advantage of her, and then again when she was drunk at the party when she was flirting with the sailor. It seems to me that if she has this dirty little secret that she's been hiding, as opposed to her trips to the toilet being more caused by something she has no control over, I don't see her pulling off the 'virtuous' vibe she has. But I guess we'll see.
Yeah, I don’t ever recall thinking the toilet trips were anything more than exactly what you said. Never thought she was trying to stay thin or compound V was wearing off.

We don’t really know yet why A-Train had to juice and no one else has been seen doing that, even his now ex. I wonder if he wasn’t given it as a child or he’s old enough that the dosing was different, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isn't that the point? I mean, she's one of the few apparently virtuous, but maybe nobody is supposed to be truly virtuous. 

I assume you mean something more than being bulimic. 

Yeah, I don’t ever recall thinking the toilet trips were anything more than exactly what you said. Never thought she was trying to stay thin or compound V was wearing off.

We don’t really know yet why A-Train had to juice and no one else has been seen doing that, even his now ex. I wonder if he wasn’t given it as a child or he’s old enough that the dosing was different, etc.
I'd guess that V has something addictive in it, based on the way Popclaw talked about it to A-Train, and we also see that in the way his behavior changed when we knew he was on it and the way Popclaw acted when she was on it. Maybe they don't necessarily need to keep taking it to maintain their abilities, but judging by how it enhanced A-Train's speed, it appears that it will continue enhancing but at a horrible price.

I'd guess that V has something addictive in it, based on the way Popclaw talked about it to A-Train, and we also see that in the way his behavior changed when we knew he was on it and the way Popclaw acted when she was on it. Maybe they don't necessarily need to keep taking it to maintain their abilities, but judging by how it enhanced A-Train's speed, it appears that it will continue enhancing but at a horrible price.
Yeah, and other "people" (who I assume were younger) were becoming faster than A-Train. I think he felt pressure to stay the fastest man on earth.

Users who are viewing this thread