What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Combine: A Brief Op-Ed And Scholastic Concerns (1 Viewer)

Truebluey said:
A fairly hot take on one of the most influential movies in cinema history. Think of all the movies that never would have been made without 2001 - Star Wars, Alien, Close Encounters, on and on. You can own your own dislike of the movie (although that tells us a lot about you), but you can't knock its prodigious impact on movies. 
C'mon, brah. We would have gotten to "Space Balls" eventually.... even without 2001. 

It was fine. It is over-rated. It inspired a bunch of directors to start making "serious" movies about space and accelerated the process that brought us "Episode 1" that much faster. But we would have eventually had Jar-Jar Binks plush dolls stuffed down our throats either way.

Wasn't the monolith a good thing for the monkeys? 
It was until the monolith had a touch screen. 

Then the monkeys started unraveling and going backwards again. Pfft, using a STOP WATCH to time a 40 yard dash in 2022!? I'm not even sure how many more years we have left walking upright if I'm being honest. We are making a beeline back to the oceans imo.

2001 is one of the best movies ever made but I do understand people who find it boring. It is much more of an experience than a movie.

The SAT and combine are both fine for adding context. We also know that neither are the best predictors of success at the next level so I don't mind schools/teams/evaluators that ignore it or don't require it. I also understand those that want that extra information. It certainly does have some value. 

As a teacher, my beef with the SAT isn't it's existence or use for measuring 4 year university applicants. My beef is with their lobbying body getting massive State contracts that force schools to prepare for and administer the test (along with PSAT8, PSAT 9 and PSAT10) to every student. It doesn't matter if the kid wants to be a mechanic or has a disability or is lined up to work in the family lawn care business, they all have to take it. Sweet deal for College Board selling all these meaningless tests to kids who won't be at a 4 year university out of HS. Buying things we don't need and wasting teacher, administrator and student time (several days a year in many cases). It would be like if they made every college football player leaving college to attend the combine in order to receive their diploma. Some poor senior WR from UNC-Pembroke who barely was able to get on the field for special teams has to spend weeks training for the combine, run the 40 next Chris Olave and do WR drills after Treylon Burks just to get embarrassed when they have zero intention or possibility of playing in the NFL. 

2001 is one of the best movies ever made but I do understand people who find it boring. It is much more of an experience than a movie.
I agree with this. And considering it was made in 1968, it was a remarkable achievement in special effects.

Its also very good for REM sleep because it’s long and boring. 

It would be like if they made every college football player leaving college to attend the combine in order to receive their diploma. Some poor senior WR from UNC-Pembroke who barely was able to get on the field for special teams has to spend weeks training for the combine, run the 40 next Chris Olave and do WR drills after Treylon Burks just to get embarrassed when they have zero intention or possibility of playing in the NFL. 
an even better analogy - it would be like making every college student attend the combine regardless of whether they played sports or not.

which would be objectively hilarious, btw. And I would absolutely watch it on Netflix.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if the NFL put together some sort of insurance program for combine participants?

I agree with you that it’s a ton of risk.

i don’t necessarily think that’s a deal-breaker, considering the potential rewards for the risks entailed.

But it is true that the risk is legitimate. 
I can see how failure to run at the Underwear Olympics decimated Drake London's draft status.

Strange that the Atlanta did not failure your lead in castigating London for failure to run.

Draft day results show that blue chip guys with strong game day tape have much more risk than reward from running.

Have the Olympics for the nobodies so they can get noticed, but stop with the drivel that the blue chip guys need to play along as well

Oh I am a fan of the combine. What I am not a fan of is the absolutist takes that result from the, err... results. I think the methodology of the combine is solid enough. There is probably always room for improvement, but I don't really take issue with any of it. My problem is the analysts that come along and butcher it and then say "but analytics." For the love of God that is not directed at anyone here. IMO it is systemic in the larger FF community.

Also *lots* of analysts are doing great work out there re:how to glean meaningful information from the combine. As to the OP I agree fully that the combine allows for leveling the field and paring the athletic traits to their basest form, independent of big school v small school. There are probably loads of smaller school guys that are deserving that never get that invite but there is only so much that can be done to help that. 

As for SATs, again I agree. My main criticism there would be for a different thread but education in general has been shat upon in this country for decades so it shouldn't be a surprise that nothing works anymore, including academic testing. That isn't the SAT's fault per se. It isn't the combine's fault that (I think) some analysts misread the results.

I can see how failure to run at the Underwear Olympics decimated Drake London's draft status.

Strange that the Atlanta did not failure your lead in castigating London for failure to run.

Draft day results show that blue chip guys with strong game day tape have much more risk than reward from running.

Have the Olympics for the nobodies so they can get noticed, but stop with the drivel that the blue chip guys need to play along as well
Clicking this to see you continuing to obsessively follow me around commenting about London is perfect validation of why I have you on ignore. 

i questioned whether it would effect his status in another topic, *specifically because he was coming off injury*, as explicitly stated. We have the answer. This isn’t the London topic and I’m not nearly as invested in it as you obviously are. 

You should find a healthier hobby. This trollish compulsion to call me out everywhere for a question I asked a week+ ago is a really, really bad look for you and adds nothing of value to these forums. 

I will not click to view any of your stalker idiocy further. 

Oh I am a fan of the combine. What I am not a fan of is the absolutist takes that result from the, err... results. I think the methodology of the combine is solid enough. There is probably always room for improvement, but I don't really take issue with any of it. My problem is the analysts that come along and butcher it and then say "but analytics." For the love of God that is not directed at anyone here. IMO it is systemic in the larger FF community.

Also *lots* of analysts are doing great work out there re:how to glean meaningful information from the combine. As to the OP I agree fully that the combine allows for leveling the field and paring the athletic traits to their basest form, independent of big school v small school. There are probably loads of smaller school guys that are deserving that never get that invite but there is only so much that can be done to help that. 

As for SATs, again I agree. My main criticism there would be for a different thread but education in general has been shat upon in this country for decades so it shouldn't be a surprise that nothing works anymore, including academic testing. That isn't the SAT's fault per se. It isn't the combine's fault that (I think) some analysts misread the results.
Agree with all points here.

now then, how do you feel about 2001, a Space Odyssey? 

Clicking this to see you continuing to obsessively follow me around commenting about London is perfect validation of why I have you on ignore. 

i questioned whether it would effect his status in another topic, *specifically because he was coming off injury*, as explicitly stated. We have the answer. This isn’t the London topic and I’m not nearly as invested in it as you obviously are. 

You should find a healthier hobby. This trollish compulsion to call me out everywhere for a question I asked a week+ ago is a really, really bad look for you and adds nothing of value to these forums. 

I will not click to view any of your stalker idiocy further. 
Troll.

He loves every response, and paragraphs of response are sending him to heights of ecstasy. 

Well said. You coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension.
Oh, a BS artist. Did you BS last week? Did you try to BS last week?

my brother & I had a video tape with History of the World, Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein on it. We wore it out we watched it so many times. 

Oh, a BS artist. Did you BS last week? Did you try to BS last week?

my brother & I had a video tape with History of the World, Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein on it. We wore it out we watched it so many times. 
Is your brother's name Abby? I think I used to hang out with that dude back in the day.

what you do on a Thursday night for kinks is between you and the plush dolls.

no judgement. This is a judgement-free zone. 
Mock draft with them of course.

Most of my plush dolls seem to have a look of surprise at every one of my picks. Surprise of the value I'm getting that late! Amiright?

How did I miss the Combine Odyssey thread? Interesting analogy to the SAT test. Intended to level the playing field, but still not without bias. 2001: ASO is kind of like the combine too. 2 people can look at it and see completely different things. I am a huge Kubrick fan, so I love it, but I can understand its not for everyone.

I believe I have a lot to offer this thread but refuse to do so until rockaction divulges his own SAT scores….
I had underwhelming SAT scores comparatively to other scores. I'm an argument for affirmative action, because once I was surrounded by an academic environment at my first job I began to test well. My LSAT and GRE scores are both similar when measured against unofficial IQ measurements, yet are way above my SATs. It was really as simple as experience and environment. 

How's that for a serious answer to a fun question? 

I had underwhelming SAT scores comparatively to other scores. I'm an argument for affirmative action, because once I was surrounded by an academic environment at my first job I began to test well. My LSAT and GRE scores are both similar when measured against unofficial IQ measurements, yet are way above my SATs. It was really as simple as experience and environment. 

How's that for a serious answer to a fun question? 
This guy is a’ight.  :thumbup:

This guy is a’ight.  :thumbup:
You're good in my book, too, higgins. 👍 I wish I had a Magnum P.I. joke for you, but never really (gasp!) watched the program. I was a bit on the young side for that element of prime time. 

That said, I'm serious about the affirmative action bit. I was off playing sports in high school while others were studying. I'd like to think I caught up in the humanities. I'll never quite be that great at advanced mathematics. But they don't test for that in most humanities-based tests, so I can hide that, really. Unless it's the ASVAB. Can't hide from the ASVAB. Oh, you don't know what a carburetor is? Welp, too bad. 

Users who are viewing this thread