What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Criterion Collection (1 Viewer)

I forgot this was a thread. I added my first criterion this November and will add more as more sales come:

All About Eve, The Passion of Joan of Arc, The Philadelphia Story, The Awful Truth, A Room with a View, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Elevator to the Gallows, McCabe and Mrs Miller, My Darling Clementine, To Be or Not to Be, It Happened One Night, The Thin Red Line, Notorious, Some Like It Hot 

Anyone have The Silence of The Lambs?

I recently got it (dvd) off ebay and it has one disc and no booklet. Is that right or wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted in the recently viewed movie thread, but, seeing this thread, I’ll put here too.

I’ve been getting into Criterion’s Charlie Chaplin releases lately. I bought their restorations of City Lights (4K) and Modern Times (2K) over the summer.  Just added the 4K restorations of The Kid and The Circus (the latter was just released in October).  I’ll watch some of the extras that Criterion includes, but I really just love the transfers and restorations that they do for the films.  They look incredible for movies that were released almost 100 years ago.

So I ordered another round of 10 Criterions (now at 20 after getting 10 for the Barnes and Noble 1/2 off sale this past year)

Rossellini War Trilogy (Rome Open City, Paisan, Germany Year Zero), Black Narcissus, La Dolce Vita, Throne of Blood, In the Mood for Love, The Manchurian Candidate , The 39 Steps and  The Graduate. 

My Criterions:

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story - Blu-Ray
The American Fiend
The Breaking Point - Blu-Ray
Brute Force
Death by Hanging
Desert Hearts
Detour
Diabolique
Drunken Angel
The Four Feathers
The Killers
The Killing
La vérité
L’avventura - Blu-Ray
L’enfance nue
M
A Man Escaped
Mikey and Nicky
Ministry of Fear - Blu-Ray
The Naked City
The Naked Island
Night and Fog
Night and the City
Odd Man Out - Blu-Ray
Pale Flower
Panique  - Blu-Ray
Paris, Texas - Blu-Ray
The Piano Teacher
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Rules of the Game
Rushmore - Blu-Ray
Seven Samurai
The Silence of the Lambs
Thief
The Thief of Bagdad
Two-Lane Blacktop
The Wages of Fear
Youth of the Beast

Did not buy them all.  Some acquired by other means.

Hell yeah

Also, saw you have The Thief of Bagdad. How does that one look? Anyones that strike you as especially good or disappointing? The criterion set-up, not the actual movie itself.  
Thief of Bagdad looks great. Haven't watched it in some time but I believe there a few missing frames and a few scratches. It's from 1940 so you gotta expect there could be some minor flaws. And the special effects may not look great for our time, but it 1940 they were beyond excellent. Still the best print of that film from what I've read. And the extras are excellent as with all/most Criterion's. Lent to my then 25 year old niece and she enjoyed it. My first Criterion.

The Killers. Big Burt Lancaster fan.  Having never seen the movies, I first went through some of the supplements including the reading of Hemingway's short story by Stacy Keach. The original 1946 film was spot on. Among others it has a 1956 Russian student film version co directed by Andrei Tarkovsky. Co written (uncredited) by John Huston. Lancaster, William Conrad, Ava Gardner, Edmund O'Brien. Supplements here are extensive and great. 
The 1964 version should not have had Hemingway's name on it imo. But it was good too.  Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson,  John Cassavetes, Claude Akins, Norman Fell. Ronald Reagan's final film ( and him playing a bad guy). This one comes from the point of view of The Killers while the original did not. My second Criterion after hearing Robert Osborne mention it on TCM.

Thief of Bagdad looks great. Haven't watched it in some time but I believe there a few missing frames and a few scratches. It's from 1940 so you gotta expect there could be some minor flaws. And the special effects may not look great for our time, but it 1940 they were beyond excellent. Still the best print of that film from what I've read. And the extras are excellent as with all/most Criterion's. Lent to my then 25 year old niece and she enjoyed it. My first Criterion.

The Killers. Big Burt Lancaster fan.  Having never seen the movies, I first went through some of the supplements including the reading of Hemingway's short story by Stacy Keach. The original 1946 film was spot on. Among others it has a 1956 Russian student film version co directed by Andrei Tarkovsky. Co written (uncredited) by John Huston. Lancaster, William Conrad, Ava Gardner, Edmund O'Brien. Supplements here are extensive and great. 
The 1964 version should not have had Hemingway's name on it imo. But it was good too.  Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson,  John Cassavetes, Claude Akins, Norman Fell. Ronald Reagan's final film ( and him playing a bad guy). This one comes from the point of view of The Killers while the original did not. My second Criterion after hearing Robert Osborne mention it on TCM.
Very cool.

I assumed (wrongly) that The Thief of Baghdad would be the '24 silent. I have not seen the '40 version. As for The Killers, it's a film noir that always underwhelms me. Not sure why. Though the sex appeal of Lancaster and Gardner is undeniable. 

30% sale trough the end of May. I think I am going to grab Grand Budapest Hotel, Battle of Algiers and for the movie club, The Great Escape. 

Hmmm.  Might have to take a trek to B&N on my day off this week if they are open.   i think last time I was eyeing up the Three Colors trilogy, and I should stop by the criterion website to see what has come out this year on bluray.  

It’s the home stretch—your last chance to save! All Criterion Blu-rays and DVDs are 50% off at Barnes & Noble, both online and in stores, through Sunday, August 2.

It’s the home stretch—your last chance to save! All Criterion Blu-rays and DVDs are 50% off at Barnes & Noble, both online and in stores, through Sunday, August 2.
Had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket - got Rules of the Game and the Fisher King. 

ETA: There aren't many hobby purchases more satisfying than a Criterion, with a nice thick book/etc packed in the case, and a beautiful transfer of a classic movie, with the best supplements around. 

The Sweet Smell of Success and Do the Right Thing are just fantastic. I highly recommend them, the packaging and extras are awesome.

Seeing this thread bumped, I may as well put this question here...  I upgraded to a 4K Blu Ray player a few months ago.  Anything that would be good to test thing out?

(While I enjoy Criterion discs and partial to the classics, I guess it does not necessarily need to be Criterion or a classic.)

Seeing this thread bumped, I may as well put this question here...  I upgraded to a 4K Blu Ray player a few months ago.  Anything that would be good to test thing out?

(While I enjoy Criterion discs and partial to the classics, I guess it does not necessarily need to be Criterion or a classic.)
To keep this a Criterion thread, I'll PM you some titles.

Parasite to get the Criterion treatment. For sale October 27.  Surprised they are doing such a recent film. Haven't seen it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bong Joon Ho

South Korea

131 minutes

Color

2.39:1

Korean

Spine #1054

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

New 4K digital master, approved by director Bong Joon Ho and director of photography Hong Kyung Pyo, with Dolby Atmos soundtrack on the Blu-ray

New audio commentary featuring Bong and critic Tony Rayns

Black-and-white version of the film, with Dolby Atmos soundtrack and a new introduction by Bong

New conversation between Bong and critic Darcy Paquet

New interviews with Hong, production designer Lee Ha Jun, and editor Yang Jinmo

New program about the New Korean Cinema movement featuring Bong and filmmaker Park Chan-wook

Cannes Film Festival press conference from 2019 featuring Bong and members of the cast

Master class featuring Bong from the 2019 Lumière Festival in Lyon, France

Storyboard comparison

Trailers

PLUS: An essay by critic Inkoo Kang

Barnes and Nobles having their 50% off sale. Debating whether to pull the trigger on a pre-order of the Fellini box set.

Barnes and Nobles having their 50% off sale. Debating whether to pull the trigger on a pre-order of the Fellini box set.
I ended up getting the Fellini box set as a gift for Christmas. I still need to get into the movies (14 film collection). The display is a beauty though with a couple of inserts with essays on Fellini and background on each film.

Since I've signed up, I've been re-addicted to the Criterion channel.   They add stuff faster than I could ever get through what interests me in my queue for sure.   Been slowly working on one-offs as well as the New Korean Cinema, 70s Horror, and Observations on Film Art series.    

They just added a directed by Atom Egoyan, 3 by Malick, and Cary Grant Comedies series that I would love to dig into as well along with the other 40 things in my queue.  

How many of the films have you seen before?
I’ve only seen 3 or 4. One of the selling points of the set for me is it has a a lot of movies of his that I haven’t seen, and have been meaning to get my hands on. Watched the first movie that he was a co-director on — “Variety Lights” — today for the first time, and it was great.

50% off flash sale at Criterion.com.

https://www.criterion.com/sale
I waited a bit too long as it seemed like my targets were out of stock. Still bought:

Gold Rush - Own a few Chaplin Criterion editions (The Kid, The Circus, City Lights, and Modern Times). Gold Rush one of the missing ones.

A Face in the Crowd - One of my favorites.

Breathless - I’ve never seen it, but intrigued after all of the hullabaloo in the movie draft thread.

ETA: I know I’ve mentioned the Fellini set repeatedly here and in the movie thread. Good deal on it now. $125 for 14 movies. 

Users who are viewing this thread