What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Death of big oil thread... (1 Viewer)

I was in Sweden, Denmark and Finland this summer and was amazed at how they are lights year ahead of us with their use of bicycles, the wind mills, the clean waste plants...it was eye opening and getting back home and hearing how we need to make coal great again just hammers in how far in the wrong direction we're currently being led.  It's funny because if he really pushed the clean side he really could've done some good things infrastructure wise but he's in bed with Russia and Saudi who survive by oil....so that's what drives him....
On the flip side you've just opened up for off shore wind and the first tenders are going out/being won, so despite Trump and his rhetoric progress is being made

Rivian R1T pickemup truck

Was at the LA Auto show, due out in 2021. 0-60 in under 3 seconds, with a range of 400 miles.

Elon tweeted last month the Tesla pickup prototype event *might* be in 2019 with production beginning in 2020. Tesla time, so add 6-18 months.

Rivian R1T pickemup truck

Was at the LA Auto show, due out in 2021. 0-60 in under 3 seconds, with a range of 400 miles.

Elon tweeted last month the Tesla pickup prototype event *might* be in 2019 with production beginning in 2020. Tesla time, so add 6-18 months.
that looks amazing.  My wife wants a pickup and an EV and was following the development of some other brands but this truck looks amazing.

ETA...the Rivian is what she was telling me about.  

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE manufacturers had better step up their game or risk getting left behind. At some point very soon, a consumer can choose between an ICE vehicle, or EV (for a bit more money up front). The  EV will beat the ICE in every single category.

ICE manufacturers had better step up their game or risk getting left behind. At some point very soon, a consumer can choose between an ICE vehicle, or EV (for a bit more money up front). The  EV will beat the ICE in every single category.
the only alternative for them is to increase their EV lines...it's very conceivable that within a decade ICE will largely be dead...once the battery capacity is routinely in the 300-500 range for "accord" type vehicles the game is over....within years everyone will stop buying ICE's and convert over...resale markets of ICEs will be like trying to sell beanie babies....it makes too much sense and will be cheaper...they won't be able to compete and this doesn't touch on the environmental impact

that looks amazing.  My wife wants a pickup and an EV and was following the development of some other brands but this truck looks amazing.

ETA...the Rivian is what she was telling me about.  
$69K for the truck, $72K for the SUV. Rooting for these guys, genuine competition will be good for consumers as well as Tesla.

Also, I’m not an engineer but the battery pack and drive train are modeled after Tesla - first automaker to attempt that AFAIK. Seems like a good idea for Rivian to follow the path of proven technology.

$69K for the truck, $72K for the SUV. Rooting for these guys, genuine competition will be good for consumers as well as Tesla.

Also, I’m not an engineer but the battery pack and drive train are modeled after Tesla - first automaker to attempt that AFAIK. Seems like a good idea for Rivian to follow the path of proven technology.
which is what will happen over time as EVs are more mainstream....mimic the designs of what works best, most efficient, etc. and then tweak and add incremental improvements over time.  

the only alternative for them is to increase their EV lines...it's very conceivable that within a decade ICE will largely be dead...once the battery capacity is routinely in the 300-500 range for "accord" type vehicles the game is over....within years everyone will stop buying ICE's and convert over...resale markets of ICEs will be like trying to sell beanie babies....it makes too much sense and will be cheaper...they won't be able to compete and this doesn't touch on the environmental impact
I’m hopeful of this happening soon as I have 4 kids.  Wanted some reliable and cheap ICE vehicles for them to get through HS and college.  

88% of EV owners won’t return to gas vehicles

UNRELATED

Tesla dropped the entry level 75kWh battery yesterday. Not clear what comes next but it’s possible the 18650 cells (18 x 65 mm) - the current battery pack has like 7-8K thousand in sumtin like 11 modules - will be replaced with 2170 cells (21 x 70.)

Same pack with larger cells will equate to 120 kWh battery packs. That will likely push the rated range to ~ 400 miles.

It is comical the demonization that 'Big Oil' gets.  Every economy is dependent upon energy.  The world runs on energy.  If there are better products and better ways to power things, it is entirely up to the people and governments to change, to find better solutions.  We needed energy in the past, we need energy now, and we will need energy in the future.  And no matter what, it is going to be huge corporations who will supply energy.  They are simply servicing a need.  This is completely different than tobacco which is a recreational item that serves no real benefit. 

It is comical the demonization that 'Big Oil' gets.  Every economy is dependent upon energy.  The world runs on energy.  If there are better products and better ways to power things, it is entirely up to the people and governments to change, to find better solutions.  We needed energy in the past, we need energy now, and we will need energy in the future.  And no matter what, it is going to be huge corporations who will supply energy.  They are simply servicing a need.  This is completely different than tobacco which is a recreational item that serves no real benefit. 
You won’t find many that disagree here. I’m not sure what you’re getting at. We can all celebrate the eventua demise of oil as a pollutant. Plus the added benefit of screwing over the OPEC countries right good.

I am in the business and have seen every auto maker produce vehicles...I would never pay anywhere close to 70K for any car or truck.

Basic supply and demand dictates that a product with a finite supply can’t compete with a product with an infinite suppply over the long term.

The energy supply companies know this and are already preparing https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-concerns-are-pushing-oil-majors-to-look-beyond-fossil-fuels/

It’s not really difffernet though..you have big oil lying about climate change which will come out....you have big oil lobbying for more drilling and against green tech...they have trump in their pocket which is why hes not investing in the future but continues to push the past with coal and oil while the rest of the globe isi racing ahead of us.  One is killing individuals one by one and the other is killing the planet.

Isn't that because they are only producing the high end verions still? 

Obviously guessing that is because the process is not as profitable as planned yet, if so
Not really sure when - and if might still be a possibility - they'll release the "standard battery version", and IIRC they have retreated from the original $35K promise. Analysts are concerned about whether they can be profitable selling a $40-41K Tesla.

Might need some maths to do a proper analysis of total cost of ownership. Electricity ain't free but it appears to be roughly 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of ICE fuel. We like to say maintenance free with way less moving parts, but some stuff I have read makes it seem like it's actually pretty close. At the moment EVs are a little more expensive to insure than ICE cars (esp Tesla's because the aluminum exterior panels are pricey.)

Hoping we see more and more successful EV models as that will ameliorate a lot of this kind FUD.

Not really sure when - and if might still be a possibility - they'll release the "standard battery version", and IIRC they have retreated from the original $35K promise. Analysts are concerned about whether they can be profitable selling a $40-41K Tesla.

Might need some maths to do a proper analysis of total cost of ownership. Electricity ain't free but it appears to be roughly 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of ICE fuel. We like to say maintenance free with way less moving parts, but some stuff I have read makes it seem like it's actually pretty close. At the moment EVs are a little more expensive to insure than ICE cars (esp Tesla's because the aluminum exterior panels are pricey.)

Hoping we see more and more successful EV models as that will ameliorate a lot of this kind FUD.
Once the Chinese get going with proper security measures etc then the price will drop significantly

It’s not really difffernet though..you have big oil lying about climate change which will come out....you have big oil lobbying for more drilling and against green tech...they have trump in their pocket which is why hes not investing in the future but continues to push the past with coal and oil while the rest of the globe isi racing ahead of us.  One is killing individuals one by one and the other is killing the planet.
Don't see it.  Lobbying for more drilling and becoming less dependant on foreign oil was in our country's interest.  The oil companies relatively small investment in skepticism to global warming will not have made even a 0.0001 degree impact on the amount of warming.   Suing companies for providing products we all need to survive is absolutely silly, IMHO.   There will be some courts that disagree, but these lawsuits will eventually end empty handed.  

Don't see it.  Lobbying for more drilling and becoming less dependant on foreign oil was in our country's interest.  The oil companies relatively small investment in skepticism to global warming will not have made even a 0.0001 degree impact on the amount of warming.   Suing companies for providing products we all need to survive is absolutely silly, IMHO.   There will be some courts that disagree, but these lawsuits will eventually end empty handed.  
You're ok with companies knowingly lying for decades, lobbying against better safer alternatives for their own benefit?  I can see why you support the President.

and doesn't support Trump??   :confused: :confused:
No, no, not at all, why, several times, he's pooh-pooh'ed him on these boards, whereas hundreds of times he's slammed posters for denigrating and vilifying white American males -  oppressed as they are!

Jon merely opposes those that vilify the virile white American male, apex predator, king of the universe etc.
I merely want all people to be treated with the same amount of respect.   But you can lie/spin that however you wish.   This forum is a hopeless cesspool of politically correct left-wing nonsense. 

Users who are viewing this thread