What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The devaluation of RB position and young talent. (1 Viewer)

KCitons

Footballguy
I know this draft is different than most, but there is no arguing that the RB position has been undergoing a huge change the past 5 years. I asked this question a couple of years ago on the podcast, but I want to see what other people think.

Will young players (late high school/college) choose a position other than RB since the longevity for LB or Safety in the NFL is better?

When you read the bio on players, many have made position changes through their football life. I look at a player like Taiwan Jones in Oakland. Who knows if he will work out at CB, (the change is coming late). But if he stayed at RB, he would more than likely be out of the league in 5 years. (one contract) If he can become a decent CB (or Nickel CB) he could be last a decade or more. (multiple contracts)

Not sure if players would have enough long term vision and I see a good number of players that think they are better at their current position (RB) than the rest of the world.

Some of the devaluation of the RB is in the heads of FFers and talking heads. The top-end RBs are still getting monster contracts. Likewise, while this draft was certainly an outlier (mostly due to the talent of the backs in it), leading up to it the last decade had more 1st round RBs and more top 5 RBs than either of the decades before it.

It really makes a huge difference for the guys that come out at 21 and those who come out at 23. In a position where 27 is considered to be old, those 23-year-olds may never get out of their rookie contract, while a 21-year-old will get a chance to either renegotiate at a younger age or to hit free agency with some useful years ahead of him.

I wouldn't say the NFL is devaluing the position (last year showed the value of a good rookie running back), just that the guys this year were all suspect.

It really makes a huge difference for the guys that come out at 21 and those who come out at 23. In a position where 27 is considered to be old, those 23-year-olds may never get out of their rookie contract, while a 21-year-old will get a chance to either renegotiate at a younger age or to hit free agency with some useful years ahead of him.

I wouldn't say the NFL is devaluing the position (last year showed the value of a good rookie running back), just that the guys this year were all suspect.
Someone like Doug Martin could get screwed. He was 23 when drafted and in the worst case wouldn't be out of his rookie contract until 28. I expect them to re-do the deal after his 3rd year but technically they could keep him two more years at a cheap rate.

Some of the devaluation of the RB is in the heads of FFers and talking heads. The top-end RBs are still getting monster contracts. Likewise, while this draft was certainly an outlier (mostly due to the talent of the backs in it), leading up to it the last decade had more 1st round RBs and more top 5 RBs than either of the decades before it.
Agreed. But when you factor in the number of kids you watch in HS or College at the RB position, very few of them will end up in the NFL. And even fewer will be a top end running back. The one thing that most of these players have, is unique athletic ability.

Ego is probably the biggest thing to overcome. If you took an 18 year old RB right now and told him he had a 1% chance to play 5-8 years in the NFL at his current position or he could make a move to LB or Safety and have a 20% chance of playing 10+ years, that kid would tell you he is the 1 percenter.

Users who are viewing this thread