What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (3 Viewers)

Lawrence of Arabia (3 hr 27 min) is exactly 30 minutes longer than The Godfather (2 hr 57 min). I think three hours for a film is some kind of mental barrier -- I don't think I've ever heard anyone balk at The Godfather's run time.

Lawrence of Arabia (3 hr 27 min) is exactly 30 minutes longer than The Godfather (2 hr 57 min). I think three hours for a film is some kind of mental barrier -- I don't think I've ever heard anyone balk at The Godfather's run time.
Yeah, 3 hours seems like a one time sitting while 3.5 or more gets it into into watching it over a couple of nights (for me, anyway).

Example - Once Upon A Time In America. 

Agreed, the length just makes it a bit prohibitive to rewatch a lot 
My favorite film is Ben Hur and Mr R's is The Ten Commandments.  We have problems.  He also likes to play the opening to The Big Country to watch me try not to get sucked iin to that.

He's a meanie.

Yeah, 3 hours seems like a one time sitting while 3.5 or more gets it into into watching it over a couple of nights (for me, anyway).

Example - Once Upon A Time In America. 
That's why they had built-in intermissions.  GWTW is like that, too.  Gotta have a 7th inning stretch.

16.12 - The Third Man - 40's Film

Won't say too much for spotlighting purposes, but this movie has a little bit of everything, and grabs your interest right from the start. This may end up in greatest films of all time category, but for now, I'm happy with what I feel is the best film of the 40's.  In my opinion, it's a better, more interesting movie than the two picked so far (great as they are.)

@higgins
I had every intention of watching a lot of these movies once the draft ended but haven't watched nearlly as many as I had hoped.  Anyway, I have watched the The Third Man two more times since the end of the draft and I think I'm prepared to call this the SOD getting it in round 16.  I think it's easily in my top 20 and may be in my top 10 movie all-time.  It's just fantastic - the score, the cast, the story-line - just outstanding all around.

Joseph Cotten had a wonderful career and was in some fabulous movies including Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, Shadow of a Doubt, Duel in the Sun, Gaslight and this one - The Third Man.  I've seen all of those and my take is this is the apex of his career.

Last edited by a moderator:
AAABatteries said:
I had every intention of watching a lot of these movies once the draft ended but haven't watched nearlly as many as I had hoped.  Anyway, I have watched the The Third Man two more times since the end of the draft and I think I'm prepared to call this the SOD getting it in round 16.  I think it's easily in my top 20 and may be in my top 10 movie all-time.  It's just fantastic - the score, the cast, the story-line - just outstanding all around.

Joseph Cotten had a wonderful career and was in some fabulous movies including Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, Shadow of a Doubt, Duel in the Sun, Gaslight and this one - The Third Man.  I've seen all of those and my take is this is the apex of his career.
i watched it again just this weekend on TCM's Noir Alley and, for a classic, it has a very modern feeling. everybody has their own messy stoopitness, whether it advances the plot or not, and it all careens to resolution - like those marble races we were all watching when the pandemic knocked out live sports broadcasts for a while - rather than being herded thru linear destiny by dramatic music, like the rest. and the B&W just sparkles.

AAABatteries said:

I think I said in my judging that I would put it in either my Top 10 or Top 5 favorite of all-time.  Holds up so well, and is perfect all-around. While it is sad what happened to Vienna during the war, it did make for a remarkable film location. 

Love that ending shot with Anna slowly walking by him without even a glance (although Graham Greene hated it) -- ending later copied in stuff like Miller's Crossing (another one of my favorites).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread