What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (7 Viewers)

Standing after 49 Categories (GOAT left):

1. ilov80s--485
  2. higgins--452
  3. tuffnutt--452
  4. Dr. Octopus--442
  5. triplemania--442
  6. joffer--436
  7. Andy Dufresne--419
  8. jwb--415
  9. Doug B--412
  10. EYLive--403
  11. Karma Police--401
  12. mphtrilogy--383
  13. timschochet--379
  14. Gally Steiner--379
  15. TheWinz--379
  16. Mrs. Rannous--364
Tight race for silver and bronze 

Who's ready to end this misery?

GOAT Movie

Refresher on criteria, with a few changes

30% just my opinion overall

10% directing 15% Directing

15% cinematography, production design, editing and effects if warranted 

10% music and sound 

10% writing

10% cast, acting

5% critical reception/awards

5% audience reception/box office/rewatchability 

#16 Gladiator - 1 Point

"Joey, do you like movies about Gladiators?"  Yes, yes I do.  And this is a good one.  Doesn't really belong on this list of 16 IMHO.

#15 The Fisher King - 2 Points

Another very good movie that does not belong on this list. The cast is great, and it is wholly original.  

#14 Nosferatu - 3 Points

For sure a classic that suffers in this scoring system from the superior technical aspects of those films above it.  

#13 The Seventh Seal - 4 Points

Far superior to the 3 below it, it suffers for me on rewatchability in that I really don't want to.  An important movie and very well written it would work better in the category "Best movie to discuss over smokes with your Film School girlfriend/boyfriend."

#12 Doctor Zhivago - 5 Points

Honesty I've never been a big fan. Despite it's obvious artistic merits I always found it far too long.  I don't think it's even the best picture in it's year. 

In all seriousness I know The Fisher King did not belong in that category but it's one of my favorite movies - and there really wasn't a category for it. It's sort of a comedy, it's sort of a fantasy (although they're all delusions), and it would get wiped in the decade categories as well.

The characters are great, the acting is amazing, the visuals are spectacular and the bond between Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges characters just gets me. They even managed to make Amanda Plummer seem adorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
In all seriousness I know The Fisher King did not belong in that category but it's one of my favorite movies - and there really wasn't a category for it. It's sort of a comedy, it's sort of a fantasy (although they're all delusions), and it would get wiped in the decade categories as well.

The characters are great, the acting is amazing, the visuals are spectacular and the bond between Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges characters just gets me. They even managed to make Amanda Plummer seem adorable.
The first kiss between her and Robin Williams' character is one of the purest I've seen portrayed.

Who's ready to end this misery?

GOAT Movie

Refresher on criteria, with a few changes

30% just my opinion overall

10% directing 15% Directing

15% cinematography, production design, editing and effects if warranted 

10% music and sound 

10% writing

10% cast, acting

5% critical reception/awards

5% audience reception/box office/rewatchability 

#16 Gladiator - 1 Point

"Joey, do you like movies about Gladiators?"  Yes, yes I do.  And this is a good one.  Doesn't really belong on this list of 16 IMHO.
Well I guess we should have put Oceans Eleven here and kept Gladiator in the 2000's as that judge said it would have been in the top 5 and possible the top spot.  I am glad this is over so I can switch my complaints to the TV judges.....

# 11 The Dark Knight - 6 Points

King of the super hero movies, this feels like the right spot to me on this list.  Technologically sound, a world class performance, a top score, but doesn't reach the heights of those still to come. 

#10 Ben Hur - 7 Points

Another movie that I think is overrated, it gets props for the production design and the amazing chariot race. I would have liked to put this at 16, but it outclasses the movies below it.  

#9The Shawshank Redemption - 8 Points

A killer rewatchability score boost Shawshank higher on the list than it probably deserves to be.  This is just a great movie, and one of the few where I can overlook the use of narration over cinematic plot advancement.    

#8 Apocalypse Now - 9 Points

For anyone familiar with the making of this film (and my hatred of narration), you would be surprised to see it so high on the list.  This film features some of the best cinematography and practical effects ever put on screen.  The horror of war is perfectly captured and the acting is great as well. The film also has two of my favorite edits ever during the helicopter attack.  Great movie.    

#7 Sunset Boulevard - 10 Points

High scores in the writing, directing and acting category push this up the list.  I had it as high as 5 in initial rankings but it kept sliding a bit as I found more love for those above it.  

#6 Lawrence of Arabia - 11 Points

The highest ranking of the sweeping epics, this film has it all.  Great score, great sound, beautiful cinematography, great acting, a focused script and amazing characters.  Still too long, so suffers on rewatchability though I almost always watch some when it comes on.  

# 11 The Dark Knight - 6 Points

King of the super hero movies, this feels like the right spot to me on this list.  Technologically sound, a world class performance, a top score, but doesn't reach the heights of those still to come. 

#10 Ben Hur - 7 Points

Another movie that I think is overrated, it gets props for the production design and the amazing chariot race. I would have liked to put this at 16, but it outclasses the movies below it.  

#9The Shawshank Redemption - 8 Points

A killer rewatchability score boost Shawshank higher on the list than it probably deserves to be.  This is just a great movie, and one of the few where I can overlook the use of narration over cinematic plot advancement.    

#8 Apocalypse Now - 9 Points

For anyone familiar with the making of this film (and my hatred of narration), you would be surprised to see it so high on the list.  This film features some of the best cinematography and practical effects ever put on screen.  The horror of war is perfectly captured and the acting is great as well. The film also has two of my favorite edits ever during the helicopter attack.  Great movie.    

#7 Sunset Boulevard - 10 Points

High scores in the writing, directing and acting category push this up the list.  I had it as high as 5 in initial rankings but it kept sliding a bit as I found more love for those above it.  

The highest ranking of the sweeping epics, this film has it all.  Great score, great sound, beautiful cinematography, great acting, a focused script and amazing characters.  Still too long, so suffers on rewatchability though I almost always watch some when it comes on.  
i dont know what's left at the top, but this is some subtle borderline-brilliant grading right here. Both scale & storytelling get their due, but contribution to the art form gets a shading, too. even where i disagree, i cant really disagree. this is how it's done, kids -

i dont know what's left at the top, but this is some subtle borderline-brilliant grading right here. Both scale & storytelling get their due, but contribution to the art form gets a shading, too. even where i disagree, i cant really disagree. this is how it's done, kids -
Save that praise....

#5 Star Wars - Episode 4, A New Hope - 12 Points

Get your licks in wikkidpissah.  But it's hard to argue that this doesn't belong near the top of the list.  Box office, special effects, sound, production design, cinematography, rewatchability have to push it up the list.  It's the bottom of the top tier due to some hokey acting and writing.  It's the top of the blockbusters and a solid top five pick.  

#4 The Sting - 13 Points

My second favorite screenplay in the category and everything about the production is in perfect sync.  One of the best casts ever assembled and the score works perfectly. And the best pairing in the history of cinema. I would have preferred Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid but both movies would have been here in the mix...

#3 Manhattan - 14 Points

This will likely be the most contested ranking but that's what you get when you choose a former filmmaker who spent the majority of his life in New York as judge.  I love this film so much.  The best opening of a movie ever.  The script is hilarious, I know these characters in real life and both love and hate them. The black and white cinematography is as vivid as technicolor.  It's economical and brisk and has the perfect ending...

#2 Casablanca - 15 Points

... did I say Manhattan had the perfect ending?  I meant 2nd best.  And are we sensing a theme?  You can't always get what you want unless it is fantastic black and white classics near the top of your GOAT list. Great villains, complicated relationships, intrigue, backstabs, Nazis!!! I will watch this movie anytime it comes on, so it tops the rewatchability ranking.  Just a perfect movie on every level. 

#1 The Godfather - 16 Points

The undisputed champion.  Really not much to say.  It was in the top 2 or 3 in every category I ranked and deservedly so.  Really not much to say so I will stop right there.  

Well I guess we should have put Oceans Eleven here and kept Gladiator in the 2000's as that judge said it would have been in the top 5 and possible the top spot.  I am glad this is over so I can switch my complaints to the TV judges.....
Yeah I'm shocked Gladiator ranks last here. I don't agree.

#5 Star Wars - Episode 4, A New Hope - 12 Points

Get your licks in wikkidpissah.  But it's hard to argue that this doesn't belong near the top of the list.  Box office, special effects, sound, production design, cinematography, rewatchability have to push it up the list.  It's the bottom of the top tier due to some hokey acting and writing.  It's the top of the blockbusters and a solid top five pick.  

#4 The Sting - 13 Points

My second favorite screenplay in the category and everything about the production is in perfect sync.  One of the best casts ever assembled and the score works perfectly. And the best pairing in the history of cinema. I would have preferred Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid but both movies would have been here in the mix...

#3 Manhattan - 14 Points

This will likely be the most contested ranking but that's what you get when you choose a former filmmaker who spent the majority of his life in New York as judge.  I love this film so much.  The best opening of a movie ever.  The script is hilarious, I know these characters in real life and both love and hate them. The black and white cinematography is as vivid as technicolor.  It's economical and brisk and has the perfect ending...

#2 Casablanca - 15 Points

... did I say Manhattan had the perfect ending?  I meant 2nd best.  And are we sensing a theme?  You can't always get what you want unless it is fantastic black and white classics near the top of your GOAT list. Great villains, complicated relationships, intrigue, backstabs, Nazis!!! I will watch this movie anytime it comes on, so it tops the rewatchability ranking.  Just a perfect movie on every level. 

The undisputed champion.  Really not much to say.  It was in the top 2 or 3 in every category I ranked and deservedly so.  Really not much to say so I will stop right there.  
see, now - i dramatically disagree w Manhattan & Sting being Top 5, but the cred you bought makes it work

and, yes SW4 is honestly terrible & singlehandedly ruined cinema, if not culture, but i probably would have ranked it higher

Well, the silver lining here is I now have a movie to watch (after I watch Synecdoche, NY :lmao:  ).

Great opening but it’s going to feel really awkward watching it in 2020. It’s about Woody Allen dating a high school student. 
hated it then (cuz it ran what i loved about Annie Hall off the rails), dont like it much better now, but it made trendsucking in NYC a (if not the) thing and the interplay between Rhapsody in Blue and Gordon Willis's b&w cinematography of New York, New York give it enough gravitas to be rated that highly *wince*

Go ask 100 random people if they've even HEARD of the movie Manhattan and get back to me.
I said earlier (probably four months ago) when it was drafted that I recently re-watched this movie for the first time in a long time and actually found it more creepy and disturbing than entertaining - and I love Woody Allen. The main premise is a 42 year old guy (Allen) dating a high school girl and no one acts like this is abnormal at all. 

I said earlier (probably four months ago) when it was drafted that I recently re-watched this movie for the first time in a long time and actually found it more creepy and disturbing than entertaining - and I love Woody Allen. The main premise is a 42 year old guy (Allen) dating a high school girl and no one acts like this is abnormal at all. 
I just want to be sure we're all ok with all the murders in those other movies.  

(not condoning child dating, to be clear!)

I just want to be sure we're all ok with all the murders in those other movies.  

(not condoning child dating, to be clear!)
I'm not trying to make any overreaching statement or criticizing the rankings in anyway. I was just surprised  by that plotpoint and that no other characters thought it was wrong. They had casual conversations about his relationship which was in essence statutory rape. Maybe it was just different at that time in history as I was a kid.

I'm not trying to make any overreaching statement or criticizing the rankings in anyway. I was just surprised  by that plotpoint and that no other characters thought it was wrong. They had casual conversations about his relationship which was in essence statutory rape. Maybe it was just different at that time in history as I was a kid.
The 70s were a strange time. I don’t think this was really seen as all that bad. When I started teaching, some of the old timers said they knew teachers and students who were openly dating. Even wearing the kids varsity sweater and what not. She said they were usually seniors and right out of college teachers and the community didn’t think anything of it.

To be fair Son Yi was an adult when they started dating.
True and I don’t judge movies based so much on the people who made them. I’ll still watch a Polanski or Spacey movie. It just adds a bit more to the creepy factor with Manhattan.

Thanks to all the Judges, this has been an interesting ride to say the least.  I have never done one of these drafts before and the drafting is quite fun.  The judging is definitely a free for all and an animal of its own and I've come to the conclusion that it's quite a trip as well and you gotta just roll with it   ;) .

Judging is a thankless job but I assume everyone knew this already and enjoy that particular experience as well :) .  I drafted a team of most of my all time favorites and didn't really put much thought into the strategy aspect and didn't realize how personal the judges rankings could be, but the reality is, all of these experiences whether its in movies, music or tv are all personal and we all have our own faves.  IMHO, the universal appeal of these drafts is taking the ride together which has been great fun.  

For kicks here is my bottom 3rd tier team:

1. 1930s or before     the adventures of robin hood
2. 1940s     Rebecca
3. 1950s     north by northwest
4. 1960s     butch cassidy and the sundance kid
5. 1970s     enter the dragon
6. 1980s     top gun
7. 1990s     silence of the lambs
8. 2000s     donnie darko
9. 2010-2020     once upon a time in hollywood
10. Western     shane
11.  comedy     some like it hot
12. romantic Comedy     the lady eve
13. Documentary     20 feet from stardom
14. Historical Drama     the last emperor
15. World War II     stalag 17
16. War     best years of our lives
17. Suspense     taking of pelham 123
18. Horror     carrie
19. Children’s     school of rock
20. Animated     ratatouille
21. Musical     top hat
22. Rock     buddy holly story
23. Based on real events     the great escape
24. Political     mr. smith goes to washington
25. Gangster     out of the past
26. Space     contact
27. Science Fiction on Earth     mad max 2 aka the road warrior
28. Foreign language    cinema paradiso
29. High school/teenager     ferris buellers day off
30. Fantasy     groundhog day
31. Sports     breaking away
32. Sequel    bride of frankenstein
33. Action     the fugitive
34. Courtroom Drama     the verdict
35. Movie score     lawrence of arabia
36. Legendary movie star- guy (Legendary=before 1980)     cary grant
37. Legendary movie star- girl     judy garland
38. Modern movie star- guy     sean connery
39. Modern movie star- girl     jessica lange
40. Legendary Director     michael curtiz
41 Supporting Actor     tommy lee jones
42. Supporting Actress     judi dench
43. Hero     sarah connor
44. Villain     the terminator
45. modern director     james cameron
46 Movie based on book or novel     jurassic park
47. Original song     (I've had) the time of my life (dirty dancing)
48. Best Actor     james cagney
49. Best Actress     barbara stanwyck
50. Greatest movie of all time    casablanca

mphtrilogy said:
Thanks to all the Judges, this has been an interesting ride to say the least.  I have never done one of these drafts before and the drafting is quite fun.  The judging is definitely a free for all and an animal of its own and I've come to the conclusion that it's quite a trip as well and you gotta just roll with it   ;) .

Judging is a thankless job but I assume everyone knew this already and enjoy that particular experience as well :) .  I drafted a team of most of my all time favorites and didn't really put much thought into the strategy aspect and didn't realize how personal the judges rankings could be, but the reality is, all of these experiences whether its in movies, music or tv are all personal and we all have our own faves.  IMHO, the universal appeal of these drafts is taking the ride together which has been great fun.  

For kicks here is my bottom 3rd tier team:
Awesome job - a TON of great picks in there.

It was a very competitive draft!

Yea, this was a really fun draft. Like every other draft, some judging spurred debate, but in the end, it's a pretend draft on a magic football message board, so it's all good. There were more than a few films I'd not seen or forgotten about, so that's always welcome. 

Thanks to all drafters and judges. Good work, even through the multiple timeouts. And thanks to @timschochet for putting this together.

Thanks to the tremendous ranking of last for Gladiator team GallStein accomplished it's goal and finished with  value score of -31 pts.  I dare anybody to come close to that in any timmy draft in the future.  I think it is near impossible to crest the -30 plateau. 

The MVJ (Most Valuable Judge) for most points was @Todem with a 10.125 ppc over 8 categories judged.  This judge knows his movies.  On the other end of the spectrum we had @Don Quixote with a 2.33 ppc over 3 categories judged.  Obviously, Team GallStein and Mr. Quixote won't be going on any movie dates in the future as our tastes just don't mesh...hahhahaha

It was an outstanding adventure and a bunch of fun.   Thanks to all the judges (yes, even Mr. Quixote) for all the work you put in.  These drafts wouldn't be anything without the judges.  You guys make it fun. 

wikkidpissah said:

LOA #1 with a bullet. 

No other film comes close to the epic nature, the scope, the score, the location, the script, the acting. 

Immensely re-watchable.

Lawrence of Arabia - A River to My People

This means Hags and I win, right?

Great job Nick - I will tally the points hopefully later and post final results.

It makes me happy that 2 of my 3 favorites movies (the missing one being GFII) are the top 2 here.

Users who are viewing this thread