What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (4 Viewers)

2000s rankings: 

Preamble: I cannot promise that I am the greatest at knowing the greatest of movies (in contrast to my truly greatest ever sports knowledge), but I did choose categories I do believe I can do a decent job. Movies are difficult because, aside from maybe awards, they are so very subjective and not as easily comparable. I find the decades categories to be extremely difficult because there are varying genres. And, as to be expected, a significant number of s movies that would have easily scored high on or at least likely made these rankings were picked elsewhere (e.g. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Man on Wire, Inglorious Basterds, The Hurt Locker, Kill Bill Vol. 1, Chicago, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, The Departed, Spirited Away Lord of the Rings, Slumdog, Memento, Let the Right One in, Pan’s Labyrinth, Before Sunset, etc.). Finally, as a confession, I regret to say that I’ve still not been able to watch Synedoche, New York. Sorry. I really wanted to.

Criteria:

Significant weight – RT scores, metacritic score, academy awards and nominations, etc. I don’t know of a more objective metric.

Significant weight – Critical reviews. I tried to find some reputable critics and review their rankings and input. Looked particularly at Rolling Stone and a few others. 

Medium weight – Online rankings. Looked at several and roughly averaged them out.

Medium weight – staying power. Put differently, if I showed the movie to a teenager right now what would he or she think?

Little weight – notoriety (i.e. has somebody like my father-in-law – a fairly big movie fan but more casual in his choices - likely seen it?).

Little weight – my own opinion. By that I mean my life experience and watchability for somebody coming of age in the 2000s. As such, while I loved movies like Minority Report, Boondock Saints, Super Troopers, Anchorman, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, and Adventureland I’ve kept them off the list.

No weight – the drafters’ comments (haven’t seen any).

Glaring omissions: The Wrestler. Seriously, this wasn’t drafted?? I’d have had it in my top tier and believe it to be one of the best movies of all-time (top ten for me). You should all be ashamed of yourselves and may G/god have mercy on your souls. Also, A Beautiful Mind won the Oscar in 2000 and was plenty good enough to make this list.

Somewhat surprising omissions (probably wouldn’t have ranked last of the 16 picked): Up, Sideways, Lost in Translation, Juno, Crash (won Oscar although I do think it’s overrated), Shaun of the Dead, Y Tu Tambien, Love and Basketball, Precious, Little Miss Sunshine, Bourne Ultimatum, and Old Boy (original).

Tier 1 – Long epics/industry-changers (note: The Wrestler, The Dark Knight, Man on Wire, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Departed, and Gladiator would have made this tier and possibly been near tops for the category):

1.       (16 points) No Country for Old Men– Coen brothers finally got their due with mainstream notoriety with this money. Won an Oscar, stands up to critical reviews, and that coin flip scene is possibly one of the greatest scenes in move history. Chigurh, the star of that scene, introduced the world to one of the best movie villains of all-time as well. Honestly, I struggled with a number one in the category but think this is the right call for mix of accreditation, acting, and story-telling.

2.       (15 points) There Will Be Blood – Oscar winner and put Daniel Day Lewis out there as the greatest method actor.  A true epic with just outstanding performances by its cast. Ranks number two solely because it did seem to drag on at times whereas my top choice didn’t.

3.       (14 points) Gangs of New York – Same could be said of this movie as the others in this tier. Only docked because the ending of the movie kind of made the rest of it totally pointless. But, great acting, etc.

4.       (13 points) Finding Nemo – Yeah, I’m surprised I have this in the top tier as well. But its RT critical score is second for the decade and it really is an epic in of itself. While it wasn’t nominated for an Academy Award and wasn’t in my initial top tier, multiple rankings I kept seeing had it in the top half for the decade and I couldn’t ignore the RT score. Plus, my kids still love it almost 20 years later.

Tier 2 – Really damn good movies (Hurt Locker, Memento, Wall-E, Spirited Away, Up, and LOTR would have made this tier):

5.       (12 points) Children of Men – That four-minute shot was nuts. The rest of it gripping while depressing. But, can’t ignore the critical acclaim and high RT score.

6.       (11 points) 25th Hour – Norton at his best in a similarly depressing but gripping snapshot of both New York City shortly after 9/11 and, in a subject close to my heart, the experience of somebody about to head off to prison for a significant time period. Great film.

7.       (10 points) Capote – PSH at his finest. Probably should have one the Oscar in 2005. Respectable RT score.  

8.       (9 points) Mulholland Drive – Admittedly not something on my radar during the decade, this movie seems to stand up and found itself on a number of lists.

Tier 3 –Overrated but deservedly on the list:

9.       (8 points) Avatar – Ranking this movie made me angry because it’s a really rehashed, poorly written story that was better when it was Fern Gully or Dances with Wolves.  But, one cannot deny the technological advancement of this movie and some of the visually-stunning scenes. I think this ranking is appropriate then, just out of the top half. It did win stuff and the 3-D experience cannot be ignored. It’s just not that great of a movie.

10.   (7 points) Million Dollar Baby – Also an Oscar winner that, to me at least, is a weaker version of the glaringly omitted The Wrestler and therefore really feels overrated when I apply it to my metric. I mean, as a movie it was fine. Acting is good. Story is okay even with the abrupt 180 it takes into sadness land. It won stuff. But I just can’t rank it higher.  

11.   (6 points) Amelie – I remember a kid on my floor college proclaiming this would be the best movie of all-time when it came out. I thought such a proclamation was strange then and I kind of think the same now. But, it’s a good movie with some critical acclaim.

12.   (5 points) American Splendor – I strongly prefer Sideways if we’re going with a Giammati film from the decade, but a 90 critics score on RT rates it well but a bit over where it should be.

13.   (4 points) Oceans Eleven – My favorite movie in this tier, but my metric isn’t very favorable to it. Really fun, but the plot is so over the top and silly and its lack of acclaim doesn’t allow me to put it any higher. Second worst critical score on the list.

Tier 4 – Throwing my hands up: these are quirky great movies, but I don’t know how they stack up:

14.    (3 points) Borat – Brilliant on a comedic level. It does have an 89 critical score on RT. I wavered a lot with where to put it. I like it better than most of the movies in tier 3. But I’m not sure a long practical joke can hold up to other Oscar winners.

15.   (2 points) Donnie Darko – I was in the target audience for this movie when it came out and definitely saw it several times. Interesting movie that requires multiple views. 88 critical score and a respectable 8.0 on IMDB. I would have rated it really high in a hypothetical “cult classic” category (@timschochet , you slacked on that) but would have left it undrafted for this category.

16.   (1 point) Synecdoche, New York – I apologize profusely for not seeing it. But it had the lowest RT and IMDB scores of the movies drafted and it never popped up in any online rankings I looked at. I don’t see how I can put it above another movie on the list.  

I had The Wrestler on my radar, but for sports.   I love it, but not to the level of others like Mullholland, Eternal Sunshine, TWBB, No Country, etc.. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Finally, as a confession, I regret to say that I’ve still not been able to watch Synedoche, New York. Sorry. I really wanted to.
I rented 2 or 3 movies on Prime to complete my judging, because I'm committed.

Seriously, it's worth the $3.99 rental.

I know. Work exploded for me the last few weeks though. 
Yikes.  Nice job on the rankings overall, but ranking something last that you didn't see seems ungood.  That said, I've seen it and would only have put it three rungs above where you had it, so to me it's not a huge difference.

Yikes.  Nice job on the rankings overall, but ranking something last that you didn't see seems ungood.  That said, I've seen it and would only have put it three rungs above where you had it, so to me it's not a huge difference.
I know. I felt bad about it. But seriously it wasn’t even listed on some top 100+ lists for the decade. And I finally figured that maybe there was something to it never coming onto my radar to see it. 

I know. I felt bad about it. But seriously it wasn’t even listed on some top 100+ lists for the decade. And I finally figured that maybe there was something to it never coming onto my radar to see it. 
I get it, and it isn't the biggest deal.  Wouldn't rely on "top whatever" lists since that would obviate the desire for judging anyway, but I think you did a great job on this.  Great list of movies here.  I LOVED Donnie Darko and would have had it a bit higher, but that's personal preference.  Tough category! 

I think it was fairly ranked. It’s a good movie but imo not pushing for top 10 status. Your rankings were good, my only quibble is that I don’t think Gangs of New York is all that great. DDL is incredible but the rest of the movie is sketchy imo. Nice job overall though.

• Smile
2000s rankings: 

Tier 1 – Long epics/industry-changers (note: The Wrestler, The Dark Knight, Man on Wire, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Departed, and Gladiator would have made this tier and possibly been near tops for the category):

13.   (4 points) Oceans Eleven – My favorite movie in this tier, but my metric isn’t very favorable to it. Really fun, but the plot is so over the top and silly and its lack of acclaim doesn’t allow me to put it any higher. Second worst critical score on the list.
We originally had Gladiator slotted in for 2000's but couldn't think of a better option for GOAT and we both really liked Ocean's Eleven so we went for it.  We were hoping that the judge wouldn't go too heavy on awards as it didn't bode well with that type of judging but it is just an enjoyable watch and one of the most rewatchable movies out there. 

Unfortunately, since we are going for an all time negative value score this +2 score is going to hurt us but luckily we have some big potential negative getters in the final 3.  Fingers crossed....

ETA:  So far Woz has liked our movie choices (this and Rounders) but hasn't been kind with the scoring.  An average score of 2.5 ppc.  Maybe we don't want Woz on Courtroom movies....hahahhahaa

Last edited by a moderator:
ETA:  So far Woz has liked our movie choices (this and Rounders) but hasn't been kind with the scoring.  An average score of 2.5 ppc.  Maybe we don't want Woz on Courtroom movies....hahahhahaa
Haha trying to be objective. And, as you noted, you did get some small value with Oceans. I think you accurately described it as a fun, rewatchable movie. Again, though, I'm genuinely trying to be objective and it just didn't win much, had good but not great RT/IMDB scores, and didn't sniff the top 10 or even top 25 of the multiple rankings I viewed online. 

I get it, and it isn't the biggest deal.  Wouldn't rely on "top whatever" lists since that would obviate the desire for judging anyway, but I think you did a great job on this.  Great list of movies here.  I LOVED Donnie Darko and would have had it a bit higher, but that's personal preference.  Tough category! 
I try to draw from multiple sources when doing this so while I did review and weigh out numerous online rankings they are merely one of several factors that I weigh out. 

Standings after 47 Categories:

1. ilov80s--462
  2. tuffnutt--439
  3. triplemania--435
  4. higgins--433
  5. Dr. Octopus--424
  6. joffer--416
  7. Doug B--408
  8. Andy Dufresne--400
  9. jwb--397
  10. Karma Police--389
  11. EYLive--388
  12. mphtrilogy--364
  13. TheWinz--362
  14. timschochet--360
  15. Gally Steiner--360
  16. Mrs. Rannous--334

@Woz @Kumerica @Nick Vermeil

Woz/Kumerica - let us know if you need any help with your last category.

Nick, once they post you will be up - I think you said you have already finished GOAT, correct?

Let's try and get this over the finish line before the TV one starts - and to let @Ilov80s officially be crowned!
Not to speak for everyone but at this point I think just the rankings would be fine without write ups (or maybe a line or two).

Wow, after all stars to choose from (like Best Actors), we get the 2000s which was as close to mediocrity as possible.

I'm glad that you mentioned the many good picks that seemed to be conspicuously missing. I would add Road To Perdition to that list.

For me, There Will Be Blood still seems too high, because after a good first half, the second half went into the toilet. 

@Woz @Kumerica @Nick Vermeil

Woz/Kumerica - let us know if you need any help with your last category.

Nick, once they post you will be up - I think you said you have already finished GOAT, correct?

Let's try and get this over the finish line before the TV one starts - and to let @Ilov80s officially be crowned!
Will do. Awaiting my co-judge for his rankings. Will combine and post ASAP 

I think I remember @Kumerica saying he was done with the fantasy movie rankings awhile ago but never posted because he was writing it up .  Any luck here?  I know @Charlie Steiner is waiting on pins and needles to see where his selection falls....hahaha

I think I have it wrapped up given that my 3rd selection is still a category waiting to be judged but personal taste and all that could cause some chaos, who knows.

Once upon a time, I, like an idiot, offered to judge the Fantasy category.

Fantasy

The (Un)Scientific Scoring Methodology:

1.      As with every other category, while I was busy watching or rewatching some of the films, I enlisted some trusted and reliable movie-loving friends to assist. I asked them each to force rank everything in the category--without consulting the internet or other sources—according to their preferences. Sure enough, the results often differed substantially.

2.      I took the average of their rankings to help create an initial tier. IN THIS CATEGORY, THESE TIERS WERE VITAL, PARTICULARLY AT THE BOTTOM HALF.

3.      Since they weren’t very helpful previously, I did NOT consult lists from a wide swath of publications this time around. I just ain't got the time.

4.      I went ahead and created my own ranking based on the following, in no particular order:

-        My personal enjoyment watching and/or rewatching the movie, as well as my history with it.

-        Does it belong in this category? My definition of Fantasy was definitely put under duress for this draft.

-        Weight (i.e. Legacy, influence, timelessness, awards (rarely), average rankings of my friends, etc.)

In the end, there is such a thing as “best” vs. “favorite,” and as far as these rankings are concerned, in case it was close, my favorites tended to edge out what might be technically/ commercially/critically considered a better film within the genre.

The movies listed here are all great films in their own rights. But, before you get upset at the point assignments, please remember . . .

One does not simply walk into the FFA and judge fantasy films.

16. Big Fish (1 pt.)

I do love this movie. A lot. It’s terrific fun and definitely Tim Burton’s most tender movie. But it suffers greatly here because A) its average by my friends put it in the bottom tier, B) once you’ve seen it once, its magic diminishes a bit.

15. Heaven Can Wait (2 pts)

Here’s where my definition of FANTASY differs, I s’pose. Sure, it’s fantastical . . . I mean, heaven, amirite? Anyway, it’s classic-ish, I loved it as a kid, and hey, Charles Grodin. Great movie, not sure it’s in the right place.

14. Jason and the Argonauts (3 pts)

This classic also suffered from the averaged tiering. Also, my first rewatch in 30+ years didn’t greatly change my indifference. Animation still holds up pretty nicely, though.

13. Big (4 pts)

Classic. Fun. Emminently rewatchable. Kinda creepy if you think too hard on it.

12. The Thief of Baghdad (5 pts)

Magical for the time, often overlooked since it followed Wizard of Oz, and it still looks great. Now I think about it, I don't know why it's so low, but I was told to hurry up and put the rankings up as is.

11. Field of Dreams (6 pts)

I ordinarily wouldn’t call this a fantasy movie, but it’s a terrific film as a whole, has ghosts and voices to rep the category, and there aren’t many sports movies in the categories I’ve judged. Plus, a road trip with Darth Vader and Robin Hood? Totally worth 6 points.

10. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (7 pts)

The sequels, the Disney-fied franchise-ness of it all, can help us forget how well done, fresh, and funny this swashbuckling original was. It does run a bit long, but I love it.

9. Conan the Barbarian (8 pts)

Look, some might think it’s ranked too high, some might think it’s too low. It was the perfect vehicle for early Arnold because he didn’t have to speak very much. From most critical standpoints, it sucks, but the kid in me—who will never die—still finds it totally awesome.

8. Pan’s Labyrinth (9 pts)

A beautifully crafted, darkly artistic tour de force that I loved a lot.

7.  Excalibur (10 pts)

An awesomely dark, super-depressing take. Kudos, Mr. Boorman.

6. Groundhog Day (11 pts)

My personal bias wouldn’t have placed it in this category, but my personal bias also rates this as an all-time favorite. How would you feel if you were stuck in one place, every day was exactly the same, and nothing you did mattered? That sums it up for me. Totally relevant in 2020, and not feeling all that fantastical. Too late for flapjacks?

5. Mary Poppins (12 pts)

Generally speaking, I’m not a fan of musicals, but this is a timeless classic. It probably has less appeal for adults, but so do most fantasies.

4.  It’s a Wonderful Life (13pts)

It’s no Die Hard, but it’s a damn fine Christmas movie. Not sure it's fantasy, but at this point, I've stopped caring. 

3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (14pts)

I loved the books, I loved the series, and this being arguably the best of the series, shall represent them all.

2. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (15 pts)

This film series practically defines the category for me. Now, some call this the finest film of the series. My personal favorite was always FotR, because it showed me that my favorite books of all times were in good hands, I love the preparation part of a journey, and a few months after 9/11, I needed the escape. The Two Towers I watched at a midnight pre-opening day release about 30 minutes after seeing Lyle Lovett and Randy Newman tape segments of the PBS show “Soundstages.” I don’t know why I mentioned that. Anyway, in this case, I’m going to assume the drafter selected The Extended Edition and not the Theatrical Release, because the Extended Editions are A) Far superior, and B) the only versions I own in digital format.

1. The Princess Bride (16 pts)

Unless I am wrong, and I am never wrong, this movie also defines the category. It’s perfect, and my second favorite movie of all time. Kudos, drafter.

Great rankings and my worry with Its a Wonderful Life was someone would say it’s not fantasy. You sort of did but it didn’t hurt the ranking much. It’s a fantasy movie though. Angels and alternate realities. 

I had forgotten what was drafted in Fantasy but four of my favorite movies are in there.

Mary Poppins - I can’t really explain it, maybe because I’ve had a difficult relationship with my Dad and at times I can act like Mr. Banks with my kids but this movie moves me to tears and tears of joy.  I love to laugh could be a theme song for my life.

It’s a Wonderful Life - speaking of tears.  I have a ritual of watching some or all of this every Christmas Eve while doing some wrapping or drinking.  When Harry delivers the line about his big brother George being the richest man in town, I lose it every time.  It’s almost a bonus that quite possibly my favorite actor ever in Stewart steals the show.

Groundhogs Day - “I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl. We ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters.  *That* was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get *that* day over, and over, and over...
Just brilliant

Princess Bride - I’ve probably watched this movie more than any other movie.  We watched it in class in High School when nothing was going on.  We quoted nonstop.  My first serious girlfriend and I watched this and fooled around - often.  I still quote it - I think I have most of the movie memorized.  As you wish.

Great category.

P&S -  @Kumerica - I hate you for giving Big Fish 1 point.  But thanks for all your judging - well done!

9. Conan the Barbarian (8 pts)

Look, some might think it’s ranked too high, some might think it’s too low. It was the perfect vehicle for early Arnold because he didn’t have to speak very much. From most critical standpoints, it sucks, but the kid in me—who will never die—still finds it totally awesome.
I dug up my write-up for this pick for fun. The film itself is just the tip of the iceberg of why this film is so epic.  It's not just what happened on screen but everything that went into getting it there and getting it done.

7.09: Conan the Barbarian - Fantasy

@Gally and I talked about this film earlier and figured it would drop some, but I'm ready to pull the trigger on it here.

For those of us who grew up seeing this film when it came out, we may not immediately think of it being very noteworthy; Arnold went on to much bigger, popular, financially successful films, but there are so many details about the cast alone that I've learned over the years that convince me that the movie itself is as epic if not moreso than the story it tells.

Written by Oliver Stone and directed by John Milius--Stone and Milius deserve their own joint biopic. Stone served in Vietnam, Milius wanted to but was medically disqualified. Despite this, Milius--the inspiration for Walter in The Big Lebowski, walked and talked like he was a hard core vet, even getting to contribute to writing Apocalypse Now.  I think each wanted to be the other, and with both of them fighting over the same turf in Hollywood and having contrasting personalities, I'm sure there is enough tension there to put on screen.  Even if there isn't, both of these men went on from Conan to have enviable careers in their own right, and Conan had them both.

In its time, the cast seemed made up of not a whole lot of anything other than Max von Sydow's cameo as King Osric, and James Earl Jones seemingly miscast as Thulsa Doom, but from Conan's dad to the minions of Thulsa Doom that he kills at the end, most of the actors were formidable even if unknown to the general public, and their quality is the bedrock that the film was built on. Among those, Mako is a prime example.  Yes, he played multiple characters in M*A*S*H, but each one of them had a presence, a gravitas to them that made them memorable, plus he had a memorable role in The Sand Pebbles. Of all the cast, whom I would love to spotlight but won't in the interest of brevity, Sven-Ole Thorsen is the last one I will highlight. The massive Danish Schwartzenegger clone popped up in many of Arnold's movies as well as showing up as one of the officers in The Hunt For Red October, but also got his own chance to shine in Gladiator.

To me, this movie was made with nothing but the finest ingredients and deserves more love than it gets. Therefore I would not let it fall any further.

-22 value points with two categories to go.  Some potential big negative value still left.  Outside shot at -30 value points......

Okay, here are the courtroom rankings without write-ups. Three things:

1) This is a combination of the rankings of both me and @Don Quixote and me. I can say we varied greatly on some of these, particularly My Cousin Vinnie and A Few Good Men which I maintain are the most relatistic courtroom movies ever made. My Cousin Vinnie gets a knock because the title of the category is "drama." We also greatly varied on Philadelphia and A Time to Kill which I had ranked much higher. 

2) While I made some annotations to the rankings, I did not tier them. However, I'd note that during the start of Covid-19 that a poster did a courtroom movie tournament and I made significant comments for that. 

3) In contrast to the courtroom tournament where the metric included the significant factor of "realism" to it, these rankings focus primarily on the quality of the movie. 

Notable omissions: Presumed Innocent. 

To Kill A Mockingbird would have been in the top 3 easily. 

Rankings: 

Twelve Angry Men - 16 (I actually have some heavy criticism for this movie such as the portrayal of the public defender and the fact that there really isn't a courtroom scene, but movie-wise there is no better acted movie in this category and this has one of the absolute best dialogs in movie history. 

A Few Good Men - 15  (I had this ranked first because the courtroom scenes are very well done in terms of mixing theatric intrigue and excitement with how court proceedings actually work/look. Also, the Caffey character is briliantly written an acted regarding the attitude and dilemmas facing a young, good defense attorney). 

Judgment at Nuremberg - 14

The Passion of Joan of Arc - 13

Witness for the Prosecution - 12

My Cousin Vinny -11 (my cohort had it 8th so I had to take the average - my favorite movie though and the list and easily the movie most-closely adhering to rules and procedure). 

Anatomy of a Murder - 10

Inherit the Wind - 9

The Verdict - 8

Philadelphia - 7

In the Name of the Father - 6

A Time to Kill - 5 (I have actually used the line "I am young an inexperienced, but please don't..." in a trial during a closing argument when I was explaining to the jury that a witness switched her story the day of despite multiple pretrial interviews. Also, while sympathetic, Carl Lee Hailey wasn't innocent.)

Kramer v. Kramer - 4

Primal Fear - 3 (Not the greatest movie or courtroom acting, but Norton's singular acting job keeps this from last)

Breaker Morant -2 

The People v. Larry Flynt - 1

Here's my detailed analysis from the top 4 in the courtroom tournament. 

The final four: 

1. A Few Good Men - One of my favorite movies of all-time and, as a defense attorney, easily the most fictional courtroom drama that I think defense attorneys can identify with (for me, right down to the need to be good at softball). The interplay between Jack and Caffey - right down to the competitiveness about trivial things - is realistic and a relationship that develops between prosecutors and defense attorneys who often work the same cases. Caffey pushing cases by plea bargain is consistent with the fact that ~95% do settle by plea bargain and there are a lot of young defense attorneys that initially handle low-level misdemeanor cases whose main job is to chip away at plea offers in small stakes cases. However, my favorite scene in the movie is the scene where Caffey visits his client after he gets Jack to give him the plea offer he wants. Caffey, knowing that his hard work produced this option - and wisely knowing that from a risk-benefit analysis the plea was very favorable - happily tells Dawson about the offer he got it and expects him to be at least appreciative and then strongly consider it. Dawson, in true irrational client fashion, basically tells him to #### off then critcizes Caffey's drive while essentially playing the "on principle" card. I imagine from the neutral viewer's perspective that there was more sympathy for Dawson in the scene than Caffey since, you know, Dawson is innocent and all that (note: he wasn't and the jury verdict was spot on). But that scene really did a nice job of bringing to light one of if not the hardest parts of the job - advising a possibly innocent client to take a plea offer that you know is in his best interests only to have that client turn down the offer (while simultaneously not even appreciating the hard work that went into obtaining it), and then turning to you to literally save his life.  People will commonly ask how a defense attorney can defend an obviously guilty person but that situation is far easier. It's the situations like this one, where the case lies in the gray area of guilt v. innocence, where the stakes are high, where you know losing is a real possibility due to the evidence likely to be presented at trial, and you're the only thing standing between your client and the rest of his life in prison. This is the scenario that keeps one up at night. This is the scenario that makes it hard to plug along and keep at it 100% when the client hasn't listened to you. I've been in this situation a number of times. I'm currently dealing with this exact situation. I have won trials where I still maintain the client should have taken the plea agreement. Here, despite the end of the movie, the trial outcome, and all the Hollywood righteousness that went along with it, Dawson and Downey should have listened to Caffey and taken the plea. And I really appreciate the movie had such a scene to somewhat explain this difficult position that Caffey was in. 

The remainder of the movie is, of course, filled with very good scenes. It demonstrates the trial psychosis attorney experience on the eve of trial. Galloway's disdain for Caffey and the whole plea bargaining process is a nice embodiment of a brand new defense attorney who doesn't yet understand the system.  I appreciated the scene with the baseball bat where Caffey discovers a small but key fact after his umpteenth review of the evidence (I've had a similar aha moment come after looking at the crime scene photos for the umpteenth time). The courtroom scenes themselves generally do a nice job adhering the rules of procedure and evidence. The "strenously object" scene is funny from a legal nerd perspective (although, frankly, that issue should have been dealt with in a motion in limine). And, of course, the confrontation of Jessep via cross-examination is riveting.  My only two nitpicks of this movie - and they are small - is that 1) Caffey likely wouldn't have been able to drop his caseload so suddenly to focus on just one case; and 2) while I'm not as familiar with the military justice process, the trial was set awfully quickly for a case of such high stakes. Most criminal cases don't happen so swiftly. 

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - From a social justice perspective, there may be no better story. The issues that arise such as racial disparity and discrimination are captured very well and the inequality in the courtroom follows. From an acting perspective, Peck is brilliant as the protagonist . The character sets a great tone and example for the ethics a lawyer should follow. The concepts in the story set a great example that any human should follow. The movie adapted and adhered to the book incredibly well. However, it's no surprise that Harper Lee, while she attended law school, didn't actually litigate. As such, the courtroom scenes themselves as a fictionalized example of what real trials and lawyers look like and face is somewhat lacking. As such, while it's not really a nitpick, in a tournment where we're talking courtroom scenes this movie shouldn't win. 

Pick: A Few Good Men 

3. My Cousin Vinny - Despite being a comedy, My Cousin Vinny is hands down the movie that actually takes the viewer on a surprsingly accurate trip through the criminal procedure. Starting with the arrest ("I shot the clerk?!"), going to the preliminary hearing ("You really thought we could win? We are in Ala-#######-bama"),  the pre-trial process ("He just gave me his whole file!") and, of course, the trial itself ("How many fingers am I holding up? For the record, counsel is holding up two fingers. Your honor, please!") the movie mostly follows the actual court process pretty darn closely. Vinny's cross-examination of the witnesses, especially after the movie provided their very convincing testimonies at the preliminary hearing, was realistically masterful and sans the hyperbolic gloss of a typical courtroom fictional drama. I also appreciated how the prosecutor and law enforcement were genuinely portrayed as being pretty neutral to the extent that they didn't immediately just refuse to see exculpatory evidence when it came out during trial.

From a movie-perspective, the acting and comedy is so well done. I love the cousin. He's totally the client who knows just enough about law (I took pre-law!) to be totally detrimental to himself and his flip-flopping between lawyers is great.  Tomei's portrayal of the overconfident and feisty but fiercely loyal New York girlfriend is such an entertaining character. The judge and his adherence to courtroom rules and etiquette is quite funny. And, of course, Vinny screwing up in many of the new ways that new attorneys fear but ultimately showing that being smart and knowing the facts of one's case (defense attorney 101 is making sure that when trial starts you know the facts of the case better than anybody else in the room) does ultimately lead to success. 

I do, of course, have some nitpicks. The portrayal of the public defender was stereotypically cringeworthy (public defenders spend more time in courtrooms on average than any other lawyer and there's no way he'd have not gotten over the nervous stutter). Arguably, Vinny probably should not have been able to call his gf as an expert witness without prior disclosure (although the voir dire scene was great). Further, Vinny probably wouldn't have been able to represent them in the first place - there's a process called "pro hac vice" that's generally required and many states have bar numbers and cards to prove that someone is a lawyer. But, oddly, with the movie being a comedy that is wonderfully written to not take itself too seriously they can be much more easily and comfortable overlooked than if they were in some self-righteous drama. In other words, at least to me, I can set them aside as comedic devices and not some errant and unfair commentary on the real-life actors within the system. 

Again, though,  what vaults this movie to the absolute top tier of courtroom movies is the balance between being an entertaining movie (in this case a genuinely funny comedy) while actually correctly teaching the viewer about the criminal process and the rules. Regarding the latter, the movie is so well done that several of the courtroom scenes are oftentimes used as a demonstrative examples in actual Evidence classes in law school. My Evidence professor used it. I've used it when I've taught criminal procedure. So, from a legal perspective, it's just such a rare treat to have a movie that's both genuinely entertaining while also being accurate and borderline educational. 

4. 12 Angry Men - From a cinematic perspective, and considering that like 90% of the movie takes place in one set with the same actors engaging just in pure dialogue, it's incredible. In other words, I think it's one of the best movies of all-time. The acting is so good. Each actor plays his character's stereotype perfectly. And, from a legal perspective, I think it fairly demonstrates some of the prejudices real potential jurors have and the dynamics of groupthink (e.g. one of the jurors just wanting to get to the ballgame, the difficulty sometimes of having a unaminous verdict, some jurors clearly just willing to do what the others will do, etc.).  I also really, really like that the jurors don't prove that the defendant is innocent but instead appropriately arrive at what is some very reasonable doubt as to whether or not he did it. That is, after all, the standard. A common jury instruction (and a point I beat into the jurors' minds in both opening and closing) is that the analysis throughout the process is solely whether the state can firmly convince the jury that the defendant did do it and the defendant has no burden to fimly convince the jury that he didn't do it (or that somebody else did) and that it shouldn't expected. When the jury actually analyzes the facts (like the angle of the knife wound, whether the witness could hear over the train, whether the firsthand witness was wearing her glasses, etc.) it's a great example of what a jury should do. So, from that perspective, and when combined with the sheer quality of acting in this movie, it absolutely should be top tier for this contest and, frankly, if this were a "greatest movie" tournament in a film class this movie should win. 

But, this is a courtroom/lawyer tournament. And, from that perspective, this movie fails because it perpetuates such poor stereotypes about the criminal justice system I wish it could be unmade (note: I recognize this story/move was made decades ago and maybe back then it was different but I doubt it). First and foremost, the portrayal of the public defender is grossly unfair and only serves to further the stereotype that public defenders are worthless when, in reality, they are some of the hardest-working lawyers in the system. Most of them care. Most of them work their cases the best they can. Most of them, especially ones assigned to a murder case, have significant courtroom experience. The downfall, usually, falls on caseload and resources. Additionally, the portrayal of the disinterested judge also serves to perpetuate a hideous stereotype. Real judges know the weight of the cases they oversee. If they've become a judge they very likely believe in the system. They aren't going to be notceably bored when reading jury instructions at the end of a first degree murder trial. So, in short, #### you 12 Angry Men for perpetuating ugly and likely errant stereotypes about a system where most people involved want to see the right thing happen. The self-righteousness of Henry Fonda having to save it is so self-indulgent Hollywood elitism that it makes me almost want to be sympathetic to Trump for some irrational reason. After all, this movie, unlike My Cousin Vinny, takes itself so seriously that the viewer should not overlook its flaws. 

Zow - nice rankings and good call on Presumed Innocent and To Kill A Mockingbird.

Another stacked category.

:thumbup:

• Smile
Zow said:

The final four: 

1. A Few Good Men - One of my favorite movies of all-time and, as a defense attorney, easily the most fictional courtroom drama that I think defense attorneys can identify with (for me, right down to the need to be good at softball). The interplay between Jack and Caffey - right down to the competitiveness about trivial things - is realistic and a relationship that develops between prosecutors and defense attorneys who often work the same cases. Caffey pushing cases by plea bargain is consistent with the fact that ~95% do settle by plea bargain and there are a lot of young defense attorneys that initially handle low-level misdemeanor cases whose main job is to chip away at plea offers in small stakes cases. However, my favorite scene in the movie is the scene where Caffey visits his client after he gets Jack to give him the plea offer he wants. Caffey, knowing that his hard work produced this option - and wisely knowing that from a risk-benefit analysis the plea was very favorable - happily tells Dawson about the offer he got it and expects him to be at least appreciative and then strongly consider it. Dawson, in true irrational client fashion, basically tells him to #### off then critcizes Caffey's drive while essentially playing the "on principle" card. I imagine from the neutral viewer's perspective that there was more sympathy for Dawson in the scene than Caffey since, you know, Dawson is innocent and all that (note: he wasn't and the jury verdict was spot on). But that scene really did a nice job of bringing to light one of if not the hardest parts of the job - advising a possibly innocent client to take a plea offer that you know is in his best interests only to have that client turn down the offer (while simultaneously not even appreciating the hard work that went into obtaining it), and then turning to you to literally save his life.  People will commonly ask how a defense attorney can defend an obviously guilty person but that situation is far easier. It's the situations like this one, where the case lies in the gray area of guilt v. innocence, where the stakes are high, where you know losing is a real possibility due to the evidence likely to be presented at trial, and you're the only thing standing between your client and the rest of his life in prison. This is the scenario that keeps one up at night. This is the scenario that makes it hard to plug along and keep at it 100% when the client hasn't listened to you. I've been in this situation a number of times. I'm currently dealing with this exact situation. I have won trials where I still maintain the client should have taken the plea agreement. Here, despite the end of the movie, the trial outcome, and all the Hollywood righteousness that went along with it, Dawson and Downey should have listened to Caffey and taken the plea. And I really appreciate the movie had such a scene to somewhat explain this difficult position that Caffey was in. 

The remainder of the movie is, of course, filled with very good scenes. It demonstrates the trial psychosis attorney experience on the eve of trial. Galloway's disdain for Caffey and the whole plea bargaining process is a nice embodiment of a brand new defense attorney who doesn't yet understand the system.  I appreciated the scene with the baseball bat where Caffey discovers a small but key fact after his umpteenth review of the evidence (I've had a similar aha moment come after looking at the crime scene photos for the umpteenth time). The courtroom scenes themselves generally do a nice job adhering the rules of procedure and evidence. The "strenously object" scene is funny from a legal nerd perspective (although, frankly, that issue should have been dealt with in a motion in limine). And, of course, the confrontation of Jessep via cross-examination is riveting.  My only two nitpicks of this movie - and they are small - is that 1) Caffey likely wouldn't have been able to drop his caseload so suddenly to focus on just one case; and 2) while I'm not as familiar with the military justice process, the trial was set awfully quickly for a case of such high stakes. Most criminal cases don't happen so swiftly. 
Maybe it was explained in the film and I've forgotten but.....

Why didn't they put Downey on the stand? 

KarmaPolice said:
:lol:  

Its been so long since we drafted, I don't remember what i actually took for that category.  
I took Judgment at Nuremberg.  I would have taken My Cousin Vinny as my favorite.  I figured Judgment had the advantage of actually having happened.  But I still prefer Mona Lisa Vito.

Zow said:

1. A Few Good Men - One of my favorite movies of all-time and, as a defense attorney, easily the most fictional courtroom drama that I think defense attorneys can identify with (for me, right down to the need to be good at softball). 

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - From a social justice perspective, there may be no better story.

Pick: A Few Good Men 
I hated the fake interpersonal story of Demi Moore and Tom Cruise and despised concocted chummy buddy-buddy main charectors who are absolutely loved by everyone just because they are the main character with the sort of phoney and cringeworthy love interest that has zero chemistry.  When everyone 'seemed' to love Tom Cruise I hated him because he always played 'that guy', that stereotypical falsey-schmatzy hero in the movies.  I can't accept that utter BS character without ANY sort of build up other than a BS softball game to show-us the audience how cute and great the guy is, awwwwwwwww.  ARGGHHHHHHH!  No.  Absolutely not no.  Hate that character and Tom Cruise was always 'that guy' till the early 2000s when his characters became more complex and weren't 1 dimensional.  

You are coming at movie critiquing in a courtroom category from a niche POV but absolutely no way in Hades is that sort of phoney baloney horrible character as the uber-mensch uber-lawyer remotely believable or even likeable.  I can see where you might find it appealing but ugh barfapolooza-ville.  

To Kill A Mocking Bird was the first and only book (for nearly her entire life) for Harper Lee.  She hit a moon shot, one book one Pulitzer.  The POV of children is universal.  The fact that her real life next door neighbor was Truman Capote who she wrote-in as the character of Dill Harris is simply an amazing side story.  Harper took on the single biggest social injustice of racism as a Southern female.  She was on-set and a critical part of making the movie and it shows.  This wasn't done by a hack screen writer.

It has two of the best scenes in any movie with Scout in the middle of each where her childlike innocence plays a pivotal role.

The first is the lynching scene at the jail where she sees a crowd coming up to her father who is the only one to face the ugly mob and she diffuses the situation by simply saying to the lead thug Mr. Cunningham. 

Scout:
I said, 'Hey,' Mr. Cunningham. How's your entailment getting along?

Scout:
Don't you remember me, Mr. Cunningham? I'm Jean Louise Finch. You brought us some hickory nuts one early morning, remember? We had a talk. I went and got my daddy to come out and thank you. I go to school with your boy. I go to school with Walter; he's a nice boy. Tell him 'hey' for me, won't you? You know something, Mr. Cunningham, entailments are bad. Entailments...

Scout:
Atticus, I was just saying to Mr. Cunningham that entailments were bad but not to worry. Takes a long time sometimes...

Scout:
What's the matter? I sure meant no harm, Mr. Cunningham.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No shouting, none of that contrived Hollywood 'You can't stand the truth' histrionics.  Just a devastating pure childlike innocence.

Jesus, that may be the single best scene in any movie in history.

The other was the courtroom scene with Scout looking down after her father 'lost' the case but he didn't F'ng lose anything.

VIDEO

Great job, Woz. Lots of great movies in this category.

On Vinny, I get what they are trying to do with both playing into, and reversing, stereotypes, but it just too over the top for me. The writer grew up in California, and it has a bit too much of what a Californian’s idea of what people from New York and Alabama are like to me. Story kind of predictably shows a heavily stereotyped Italian-American couple (but still urban and modern) helping to educate and save a bunch of uneducated Southern yokels from convicting the wrong people (yokels is not the term that I would like to use and that I would ascribe, but how they are one-dimensionally portrayed in the movie).

12 Angry Men not as good from what a real courtroom would look, but it has a lot more character development and complexity.

• Smile
Great job, Woz. Lots of great movies in this category.

On Vinny, I get what they are trying to do with both playing into, and reversing, stereotypes, but it just too over the top for me. The writer grew up in California, and it has a bit too much of what a Californian’s idea of what people from New York and Alabama are like to me. Story kind of predictably shows a heavily stereotyped Italian-American couple (but still urban and modern) helping to educate and save a bunch of uneducated Southern yokels from convicting the wrong people (yokels is not the term that I would like to use and that I would ascribe, but how they are one-dimensionally portrayed in the movie).

12 Angry Men not as good from what a real courtroom would look, but it has a lot more character development and complexity.
My Cousin Vinny is a comedy- so of course it’s going to play around the edges of stereotypes for laughs. And I don’t think the southerners are all portrayed as “yokels”. The judge and the prosecutor are both more than competent.

Standing after 49 Categories (GOAT left):

1. ilov80s--485
  2. higgins--452
  3. tuffnutt--452
  4. Dr. Octopus--442
  5. triplemania--442
  6. joffer--436
  7. Andy Dufresne--419
  8. jwb--415
  9. Doug B--412
  10. EYLive--403
  11. Karma Police--401