What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (2 Viewers)

Oh, meant to add! Notable mentions, be they in a different category or not picked:

• The Lion King

would have taken third place from the ogre

[*]Beauty and the Beast

• got nommed by the Academy for a reason!

[*]Grave of the Fireflies

• heartbreaking story of the aftermath of Hiroshima

[*]Ghost in the Shell

• awesome 90s sci-fi

[*]Frozen

• legit think it's a return to what made 90s Disney animation great

[*]Finding Nemo

• Pixar's best art direction

I completely agree with this an am pleasantly surprised it scored so well.  Although, I would put it up this high I didn't think a judge would.  As I put in my write up when we made this selection I have watched this probably more than any other movie ever because it was my daughters favorite movie when she was 4-6 yrs old.  The best part of Shrek is it's rewatchability.  Every time I watched it there was something I missed going on in the background that was hilarious.  There is so much going on and it's just a very enjoyable movie to watch. 
I think I could say that about most of the movies on the list though. 

Not that I dont like Shrek, just think it's an average fun movie, but one that our family didn't watch much for some reason.  

In June 2008, the American Film Institute presented a list of its "10 Top 10"—the best ten films in each of ten classic American film genres—after polling over 1,500 people from the creative community. Bambi placed third in animation
I learned the hard way that these kinds of accolades meant very little in this exercise. In brief: sometimes chalk was rewarded ... but more often than not, it seems that it wasn't.

I completely agree with this and I am pleasantly surprised it scored so well.  Although, I would put it up this high I didn't think a judge would.  As I put in my write up when we made this selection I have watched this probably more than any other movie ever because it was my daughters favorite movie when she was 4-6 yrs old.  The best part of Shrek is it's rewatchability.  Every time I watched it there was something I missed going on in the background that was hilarious.  There is so much going on and it's just a very enjoyable movie to watch. 
Shrek and its sequels were likewise in my kids' wheelhouse. While they're both now way too cool for cartoons ... both will still check out Shrek every now and again.

And yeah, the wife and I still watch it sometimes even with no kids around.

I completely agree with this and I am pleasantly surprised it scored so well.  Although, I would put it up this high I didn't think a judge would.  As I put in my write up when we made this selection I have watched this probably more than any other movie ever because it was my daughters favorite movie when she was 4-6 yrs old.  The best part of Shrek is it's rewatchability.  Every time I watched it there was something I missed going on in the background that was hilarious.  There is so much going on and it's just a very enjoyable movie to watch. 
There are definite easter-eggy type details in Shrek that show up with each viewing. But the characters are so ugly and All-Star is awful.

Having said that, the rankings were explained well and am happy with the value I got from Princess Mononoke.

Oh, update on movies I've viewed based upon the draft list.

Intended to start with Network but wasn't on any of my streaming services. Rain check!

Casablanca has instantly become one of my favorites. I had seen it before but I was way younger, I think it was a school assignment or something. Just loved how much wit permeated the film, along with the great sense of conflict that lies within Rick. Thumbs up!

I had shamefully never seen Alien and was really impressed by the practical effects and very straightforward yet effective (I think that's the word I'm looking for) story told. Thumbs up.

All the President's Men was a little tough to follow, I found myself having to rewatch scenes if I even turned my attention away for just a second. But, once it was all put together I found it very compelling about how hard it is to do journalism correctly, especially in light of our current gotcha-quote news landscape of today. Thumbs up.

Vertigo tonight.

I had shamefully never seen Alien and was really impressed by the practical effects and very straightforward yet effective (I think that's the word I'm looking for) story told. Thumbs up.
I watched that movie probably a little too young. The chestburster scene, of course, is the famous one. But you know which scene gave the creepiest willies as a kid? Ripley not-so-gently removing Ash's head and that "milk" dripping everywhere. And then she talks to his disembodied head.  :scared:

I watched that movie probably a little too young. The chestburster scene, of course, is the famous one. But you know which scene gave the creepiest willies as a kid? Ripley not-so-gently removing Ash's head and that "milk" dripping everywhere. And then she talks to his disembodied head.  :scared:
Yes, the science officer scene was trippy! It was kinda funny watching them position the mask(?) just right so they could then get Ash's actor in place to talk with them for his death rattle.

Oh, meant to add! Notable mentions, be they in a different category or not picked:

• The Lion King

would have taken third place from the ogre

[*]Beauty and the Beast

• got nommed by the Academy for a reason!

[*]Grave of the Fireflies

• heartbreaking story of the aftermath of Hiroshima

[*]Ghost in the Shell

• awesome 90s sci-fi

[*]Frozen

• legit think it's a return to what made 90s Disney animation great

[*]Finding Nemo

• Pixar's best art direction
What about Wallace and Gromit:  The Curse of the Were-Rabbit?

The Modern Lead Male Actor is up next. I took into account of course how many iconic characters they have portrayed in the history of movies. How well they did at the box office. The quality of their movies. A lot of factors. And to be frank....this as the toughest category to rank. All of these actors are high quality, and have several iconic characters. Some more than others of course. Also the depth of their roles, the popularity of the movies. A lot fo pop culture involved in this category as well as pure talent to judge.

16 - Harrison Ford - triplemania - Han Solo, Indiana Jones.....need I say anymore? Ford has not only cemented himself as one of the greatest action heros of space and fortune and glory, he has shown his range with other films as well. Blade Runner is another iconic role for Ford. How about His turn as A Detective in Witness, Regarding Henry (Love this movie), and his turn as Jack Ryan in a trilogy of films. The President in Air Force One.....and let’s not forget his turn as Dr Richard Kimel in the fantastic The Fugitive. But Han Solo? Indiana Jones? Slam Dunk.

15 - Jack Nicholson - Dr Octopus -  So many amazing roles such as Easy Rider, Chinatown, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, The Shining, Batman, A Few Good Men, Wolf, As Good As It Gets and of course The Departed. Jack has cemented himself as a Hollywood legend that is impossible to deny. He has such a trademark delivery and style.

14 - Clint Eastwood - Doug B - The list of films and characters is too long to post. We have a true American movie star icon here. Starting with his breakthrough roles in the Man with No Name trilogy (Joe, Manco, Blondie) Dirty Harry, The Outlaw Jose Wales, The greatest bare knuckled fighter in film history (Philo Beddo) to his finest performance IMO as William Munny, Clint is as American to movies as baseball and apple pie are to the USA. A true icon.

13 - Tom Cruise - Karma Police -  Tom has so many great movies to his credit and continues to produce (looking forward to Maverick Top Gun one day). We can sit and list them all....but we don’t have too. A ton of memorable characters and movies that stand the test of time. So how about Top Gun, Rain Man, Born On The 4th Of July, A Few Good Men, The Firm, Interview With The Vampire, Mission Impossible series, Jerry Maguire, The Last Samurai, War Of The Worlds, and more recently Edge Of Tomorrow and the Jack Reacher flicks. Tom has a huge list of iconic roles. 

12 - Leonardo DeCaprio - EYLive This may surprise some....but not me. Leonardo has firmly established himself as a massive star. From his early roles to his heavyweight monsters like Catch Me If You Can, Blood Diamond, Inception, The Revenant, Gangs Of New York, Shutter Island, The Wolf Of Wall Street, ....this guy is the real deal. Love his work. He to me is right now.....the best modern day actor we have and he has a lot of game left to pick up some hardware in the Academy department. He finally got one for The Revenant but he was deserving even before that role. 

11 - Brad Pitt - jwb - Ahhhh such a great co-star. And when he get’s leads he also kills it. And is there a film where he is not eating something almost all the time in recent memory? Anyway....we can list films, but his star power speaks for itself. Some of my personal favorites are Interview With The Vampire, Kalifornia, True Romance (FLOYD!!), Oceans 11, Seven, 12 Monkeys, Inglorious Bastards, Moneyball, World War Z10 - Will Smith - ilov80’s - talk about a guy who not only has some monster box office smashes.....it is his more dramatic roles that really put it him into this spot with Concussion and The Pursuit of Happyness. Brilliant. I wish I could rank him a little higher....but what is ahead of him just had more meat. But Will Smith has really done a great job of making so many memorable roles. He has plenty left in the tank too. 

10 - Will Smith - ilov80’s - This guy is a massive star. I think we all know that. However two roles that really put him here for me were The Pursuit of Happyness and Concussion. I love his dramatic roles. It shows just ow much range Will Smith has. He has a lot left in the tank too.

9 - Denzel Washington - Andy Dufrense -  Denzel is so passionate in how he approaches his roles. I felt he was completely jobbed when he did not win Best Actor for The Hurricane. What a monumental role that was IMO. They gave him a make up award for the lessor Training Day (it was good....but not Ruben The Hurricane Carter good). Denzel can show plenty of range as an action hero, dramatic actor to his awesome turn as a vengeful killer in Man On Fire. He has been in so many great roles....too many to list here. 

8 - Sean Connery - mphtrilogy - Bond......James Bond. The best Bond of them all, Connery has played some other outstanding roles besides 007. A Bridge Too Far, Highlander, The Untouchables, Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, The Hunt For Red October, and The Rock. 

7 - Sylvester Stallone - Joffer - Rocky, Rambo and that is all we have to say. And I like the character of Rocky and Rambo better than our next great action movie star. But Sly also had some other cool roles. How about Nighthawks, Victory, Over The Top (Lincoln Hawk baby!!!), Lock Up, Cliffhanger, John Sparten in Demolition Man, and a very underrated role for him as Sheriff Freddy Heflin in Copland. 

6 - Arnold Schwarzenegger -  The Winz - "I’ll Be Back” And with that A star was born. The Terminator which spawned multiple sequels is a beloved sci-fi series. But he also made some other highly memorable films in The Running Man, Total Recall, Predator, some great comedy in Twins, Kindergarten Cop, True Lies (one of my favs). He came long way from the likes of Conan (Love the first one), Commando and Raw Deal. 

5 - Johnny Depp - Tim - Arrrrr Jack Sparrow arrrrrrr. Johnny is a gifted actor. He has had several great roles but none more iconic than Captain Jack Sparrow. But most of the sequels....were ho hum. Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, Sweeny Todd and Will Wonka are some stand out films and roles he has had.

4 - Christian Bale - tuffnut - The Dark Knight Trilogy is to date the best superhero films I have ever seen. My favorite role though from Bale is no doubt American Psycho.

3 - Robin Williams - Gally Steiner - Robin has some brilliant moments throughout his film career....but that is really it. Some moments. He never had a lot of iconic roles nor films. Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam, Aladdin, are all very enjoyable movies. Mrs Doubtfire and The Bird Cage are my favorite and most memorable roles with Robin. I was never a fan of Good Will Hunting as a film. Williams was solid....the movie was pretty meh for me. Again though....nothing that was every truly iconic. 

2 - Sean Penn - Higgins - When Jeff Spicoli is easily my all time favorite character of Sean Penn......yeah your in trouble. He has made and had some other very good roles.....but on this list? Man he is not in the league of iconic roles as others ahead of him.....and that was his choice. He is from what I understand a massive PITA to work with and simply chose the path of more for the art than the fame. Make no mistake he is a great actor. A better actor than Sly or Arnold...LOL I know that. But his movies simply do not even hold a candle......there is no iconic role except for......that classic 80’s surfer pot head Jeff Spicoli (which is a great role and I love Fast Times big time....it was my youth that movie to a tee).  Anyway.....no denying the talent. Just the sizzle. Nothing there man.

1 - George Clooney - Mrs.Rannous - What a bore. He has some stand outs like Danny Ocean in Oceans 11 (the sequels sucked). Also I really enjoyed him in the Perfect Storm.But like Sean Penn.......simply nothing here that will stand the test of time (other than Jeff Spicoli). His turn as Batman was god awful and one of the grossest miscast’s of a superhero in superhero movie history. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Three animated movies I thought might be picked. Each of which could have been taken for other categories. Hags, how might these have fared (if you've seen them):

South Park

Persepolis

Waltz With Bashir

The Modern Lead Male Actor is up next. I took into account of course how many iconic characters they have portrayed in the history of movies. How well they did at the box office. The quality of their movies. A lot of factors. And to be frank....this as the toughest category to rank. All of these actors are high quality, and have several iconic characters. Some more than others of course. Also the depth of their roles, the popularity of the movies. A lot fo pop culture involved in this category as well as pure talent to judge.
I just wanted to check that this ranking is for Movie Star and not GOAT Actor, right?

3 - Robin Williams - Gally Steiner - Robin has some brilliant moments throughout his film career....but that is really it. Some moments. He never had a lot of iconic roles nor films. Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam, Aladdin, are all very enjoyable movies. Mrs Doubtfire and The Bird Cage are my favorite and most memorable roles with Robin. I was never a fan of Good Will Hunting as a film. Williams was solid....the movie was pretty meh for me. Again though....nothing that was every truly iconic. 
You are in more dire need of a ####### than any white man in history.

I've quit commenting. I appreciate the judging efforts ... I really do. I just invariably disagree with them -- pretty much every time, at least 2/3 of any given judge's rankings -- usually more. It is what it is and there's no point in cultivating bad feelings about it -- I like this crew (drafters, judges, commenters).

Full disclosure -- probably 3/4 of my picks have either been bottom 3, or else are huge classics that have been dinged a bunch of points for unknown reasons (I've spoken up about Fast Times at Ridgemont High, but stayed silent on other ones). Had I scored a bunch of double-figure films/people, I'd certainly feel differently.
This is the point where I am too.  I haven't agreed much about the rankings, but after the teen category fallout - like you said - there is no need for bad blood over fake movie drafting.  

I just realize that the results of this are arbitrary, up to the whims of the judges, and the outcomes would be very different with a different set of judges.  

At the end of the day, I got to talk about movies I love, and maybe 1 or 2 people will take a shot on one and like it.  It also made me watch some things I haven't seen at all or in a long time, so double bonus! 

When some drafters find themselves disagreeing with the judges almost every time and some don’t. This points out the exact subjective nature of art.

It is purely subjective. One mans trash is another's pleasure. Movies and music.....purely subjective. 

Hey all, I apologize that I have not provided any updates since last Tuesday irt the 60s, 70s and 80s categories. I have had a rough week and haven't had time to participate in any of my favorite threads.

I haven't posted here about it, but I've been living with and caring for my 82 year old Mom since December.

Her health has taken a down turn, and I've spent this past week trying to find adequate medical care that balances her needs with the risk of Covid for inpatient hospital treatment.

This has taken up all of my time, and we are still working on our options.

Thus, I've not watched any movies since Wednesday (Raiders of the Lost Ark).

I'm not saying that I can't fulfill my role, but - honestly - it is not on my to-do-list at the moment.

If people are anxious for results, I won't mind if other options are used, but if you all are cool with some uncertainty, I won't quit. I just can't promise any timeline.

I hope to learn more soon about Mom's options, and that should give me a better idea of my time in the coming days.

I'll update more when I can.

And, thanks for keeping me in good spirits here while the world has been pretty chaotic this year.

❤️
I'm the backup judge for the 60s.

I've got two movies to re-see for my last category Historical Drama and will be finishing and judging that category soon so I an take the 60s once that is done.

I am curious to hear what you think. It's not what I expected to be when I first saw it and it took time to grow on me. 
My impressions of my first viewing is I thought the film was very cruel. I'm also not exactly certain why the Midge character was given as prominent a role as she was; by the end of the disorienting ride, for some wild reason I expected the brassiere-with-the-cantilever-bridge-mechanics to play some equally weird part.

When some drafters find themselves disagreeing with the judges almost every time and some don’t. This points out the exact subjective nature of art.

It is purely subjective. One mans trash is another's pleasure. Movies and music.....purely subjective. 
But you judged acting ability and not stardom.  They aren't the same thing.  We had a category for that.

My impressions of my first viewing is I thought the film was very cruel. I'm also not exactly certain why the Midge character was given as prominent a role as she was; by the end of the disorienting ride, for some wild reason I expected the brassiere-with-the-cantilever-bridge-mechanics to play some equally weird part.
Yeah Midge is weird. She totally disappears for most of the movie. I really disliked Vertigo the first 2 times I saw it. It wasn’t until I saw it at the theater that it really struck me. The color and the obsession is fascinating but it’s not close to being the best Hitchcock film imo.

I get that, trust me I do.    However, I have found myself thinking about that over the last few days I am am not sure we could do any other draft like this and get such a wide variety of results - why is that?  

Seems to be that for movies there is a pretty big gulf between the "critic" picks and the "popular" picks.   Is that because far fewer of us (people in general) have ever acted, been a part of movie, or even go farther than watching said movie?   I guess what I am saying is that is the music drafts we don't all like the same stuff, but there is still a fair consensus on the biggies like The Stones, The Beatles, etc.. people are likely to have heard songs older than that too.  We probably  wouldn't have a judge give a Zeppelin or Beatles album 2pts.    Same thing in sports, there is probably a disagreement a little bit, but not likely Brady or Babe Ruth is getting 2 pts.     So what I find interesting (Ok, i will be honest - frustrating most of the time ;)  ) is that is not the same for movies, especially the movies themselves.  You start crossing certain thresholds and you are more likely to get a :yawn:  , or that sucks, or I couldn't even watch that junk.     Is a big factor that more of us have played sports or played some kind of instrument?  I am guessing far more likely to read a book or watch a doc about music or sports than about movie.  Far more likely to watch sportscenter than At the Movies, etc...      

If there is a TV draft, is it going to be like this as well?  I have a feeling that is going to be closer in opinions too - ie I can't see Sopranos or The Wire getting 3 pts.   

A TV draft could be fun, my two cents would be list at least 5 criteria up front for the judging and have 3 judges who are participating in the draft that have some skin in the game and the two judges would rank the 3rd judges scores and vice a versa.  I think you would get a nice blend of critics and popular opinion based on the analysis that the participants would be using.  If you sign up, just sign up to be a 1/3 judge of a few categories as well.  Also takes the sting out of judging.

For this one, I just drafted my favorite movies and actors and really didn't analyze much for the popular rankings and my scoring reflects that, but I hope some folks may have found a nugget while reviewing that I have enjoyed over the years as I am a massive movie fan and like a lot of folks in this draft our tastes do vary quite a bit.

But you judged acting ability and not stardom.  They aren't the same thing.  We had a category for that.
Oh Stardom was the biggest driver. If this was acting ability Sly and Arnold would be bottom feeders. Come on. Your star power is driven by the characters you played and how they will be remembered. Clooney and Penn......seriously. Great actors. Forgettable movies and characters. I think I ranked them accordingly based on everlasting star power and movies that will be treasured throughout history. I love Robin Williams. I thought he was a brilliant comedian. One the best if not the best ever. But he did not make a slew of great films. The two characters I will always remember are Mrs Doubtfire and Armand Goldman. Not enough to rank ahead of the actors ahead of him despite how gifted he was.

In June 2008, the American Film Institute presented a list of its "10 Top 10"—the best ten films in each of ten classic American film genres—after polling over 1,500 people from the creative community. Bambi placed third in animation
Maybe we should have used this list, which also placed Shrek ahead of The Iron Giant, a film that didn't even crack the top 10.

:bowtie:

It's for fun, lads.

iTunes is fast becoming a great place to buy digital movies. I know "4k, blah, blah," but...it's got 4k versions of movies on digital that you can't get on 4k disc yet and might not ever.

For example, in the last week I've bought both Fargo and Robocop in 4k for $5 each. I can't imagine them looking better on a 4k disc when/if it comes out so I consider that a real bargain. 

Also have Wrath of Khan on 4k in iTunes and that might never come out on disc because for some reason Paramount doesn't care about OT Star Trek movies.

Short story with all this is that if your TV is 65"+, you will notice a difference with digital vs. disc. But for most people the digital version will suit just fine. 

I should get a referral bonus of some sort from Apple but here are some other titles that are currently $5 each in 4k:
Blade Runner

The Matrix Trilogy

It's a Wonderful Life

John Wick

Pan's Labyrinth

Silence of the Lambs

...and several others.

8 points - The Incredibles 

14 points - Shrek
The animation of Shrek is clumsy appearing 2-D compared to the multi-layered exciting 3-D world of the Incredibles.  

We're talking mid-80s MTV video quality CGI quality compared to the Pixar creation.  The Incredibles story is much more creative, the characters have depth that we do not typically see in animation.  They nail the personalities of the kids and I F'ricken love the Edith Head Character that goes over most younger people's heads.  The 50s vibe is captured perfectly.  I just love the Incredibles.

The animation of Shrek is clumsy appearing 2-D compared to the multi-layered exciting 3-D world of the Incredibles.  

We're talking mid-80s MTV video quality CGI quality compared to the Pixar creation.  The Incredibles story is much more creative, the characters have depth that we do not typically see in animation.  They nail the personalities of the kids and I F'ricken love the Edith Head Character that goes over most younger people's heads.  The 50s vibe is captured perfectly.  I just love the Incredibles.
NO CAPES!!!

Edna Mode is actually voiced by director Brad Bird.

I get that, trust me I do.    However, I have found myself thinking about that over the last few days I am am not sure we could do any other draft like this and get such a wide variety of results - why is that?  

Seems to be that for movies there is a pretty big gulf between the "critic" picks and the "popular" picks.   Is that because far fewer of us (people in general) have ever acted, been a part of movie, or even go farther than watching said movie?   I guess what I am saying is that is the music drafts we don't all like the same stuff, but there is still a fair consensus on the biggies like The Stones, The Beatles, etc.. people are likely to have heard songs older than that too.  We probably  wouldn't have a judge give a Zeppelin or Beatles album 2pts.    Same thing in sports, there is probably a disagreement a little bit, but not likely Brady or Babe Ruth is getting 2 pts.     So what I find interesting (Ok, i will be honest - frustrating most of the time ;)  ) is that is not the same for movies, especially the movies themselves.  You start crossing certain thresholds and you are more likely to get a :yawn:  , or that sucks, or I couldn't even watch that junk.     Is a big factor that more of us have played sports or played some kind of instrument?  I am guessing far more likely to read a book or watch a doc about music or sports than about movie.  Far more likely to watch sportscenter than At the Movies, etc...      

If there is a TV draft, is it going to be like this as well?  I have a feeling that is going to be closer in opinions too - ie I can't see Sopranos or The Wire getting 3 pts.   
I think another thing is that the categories are treated differently as well.  There is some interpretation on what the judge thinks a category should have.  That also could lead to quite the discrepancy as well.  For instance Todem perfectly stated that Raging Bull was a better movie than some ahead of it in the sports category but it wasn't a better a sports movies for what he felt a sports movie should be.   So when you add that detail it enlarges that possible discrepancy even more since not everyone will have that same definition of a movie type. 

All in all it has been a good judging effort by all the judges.  They have all put in the effort and came up with what they thought was the way to judge.  No right or wrong (although there has been a lot of wrong when it comes to the Gallstein picks....hahahaha) just different.  It's been fun. 

dang - i was waiting for @Mrs. Rannous to make a giant stink about Clooney - the Harrison Ford for his gen of directors (Soderbergh, Coens) - getting last place so i could make a point about Brad Pitt - half the actor his Oceansmate is - being the Sarah Jessica Parker/Carrie Bradshaw of the latchkey kids. dang!

Yeah Midge is weird. She totally disappears for most of the movie. I really disliked Vertigo the first 2 times I saw it. It wasn’t until I saw it at the theater that it really struck me. The color and the obsession is fascinating but it’s not close to being the best Hitchcock film imo.
I've percolated on the movie and do think Hitchcock and Stewart did a great job of portraying the manifestation and consequences of desperation. And the last twenty minutes, especially the final scene, is super suspenseful. Thought process while watching: "OK, yeah this is kinda creepy, but we drafted this for suspense... where's the- OH. Oh ####."

Almost done watching the few in the 2000s categories I hadn’t seen. Anybody know where I can view synecdoche, New York? 

Almost done watching the few in the 2000s categories I hadn’t seen. Anybody know where I can view synecdoche, New York? 
I use the JustWatch app to see if something's available. Looks like for that one, it's not available for free anywhere but can be rented from any of the streaming services like Amazon, iTunes, Google, Youtube, FandangoNow, Vudu, Microsoft, or DirectTV. 

Users who are viewing this thread