What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

Come on, who cares how the judges rank them. It’s all for fun! 
I will be fully honest - my competitive ####### nature comes out even for "fun" stuff like this.  ;)  

I'll do it, but I will probably get pissy that PTA and Kubrick get pooped on and Scorsese gets too much love.  

I will be fully honest - my competitive ####### nature comes out even for "fun" stuff like this.  ;)  

I'll do it, but I will probably get pissy that PTA and Kubrick get pooped on and Scorsese gets too much love.  
Presumably most of the movies drafted will be good so it's not like Boogie Nights is going to get ranked below Captain Ron. Plus, I think people judging need to be objective. The Lions are my favorite football team and I hate the rest of the NFC North but I would rank Brett Favre and Aaron Rogers over Matt Stafford, I acknowledge Moss was better than Calvin. It's only when we get to Payton vs Barry that I may allow my personal bias to break a tie on 2 near equals. 

What about a "Greatest Scene" type category? That might allow some less than "great" movies that might not get drafted to have some shine with a particularly great 4-5 minutes.
You didn't get enough of the Greatest Moment categories in the sports draft?  hahhahaa

I know very little about movies and their bigger meanings or symbolic measures.  I will be following along and wouldn't mind having a rooting interest by pairing up if someone wanted very isolated help in the few categories I might have seen movies in...hahahaha

I know very little about movies and their bigger meanings or symbolic measures.  I will be following along and wouldn't mind having a rooting interest by pairing up if someone wanted very isolated help in the few categories I might have seen movies in...hahahaha
You seem a decent fellow. If there are a few categories you have strong feelings about, I could make your pick my pick. From participating in the FBG Movie Club, I've learned I'm not nearly the film buff I once thought I was, so extra help wouldn't hurt.

I’m going to commit to watching all of the Greatest Movies category as we draft.

I’m also not a movie buff so willing to partner up.

I acknowledge Moss was better than Calvin. 
Whoa. Slow down or you're gonna break something. Moss quit on at least two teams and was summarily dismissed from a third. If anything, his history has been whitewashed like no other in football. I usually don't bag Moss, because I think media narrative is stupid and production reigns supreme, but his own teams were telling us something about his play. 

Calvin was the ultimate team guy in a diva position and should be in the HoF if we respect meteors at all.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Presumably most of the movies drafted will be good so it's not like Boogie Nights is going to get ranked below Captain Ron. Plus, I think people judging need to be objective. The Lions are my favorite football team and I hate the rest of the NFC North but I would rank Brett Favre and Aaron Rogers over Matt Stafford, I acknowledge Moss was better than Calvin. It's only when we get to Payton vs Barry that I may allow my personal bias to break a tie on 2 near equals. 
Well, then I hope more like you judge vs a knucklehead like AD who thinks PTA sucks. ;)

Come on  @krista4 and @wikkidpissah - join the fun
I'll definitely be here and following along when I can, and sorry for being cranky last night - tim does a great job with these and I always love them.  But I don't have time for it right now - doing the jukebox draft, working on my post-Beatles Beatles rankings which are a full-time job, oh also a real full-time job, training for a thing, and going out of town with no internet starting in a week.

As for my earlier criticism, I could see why documentaries are more limited (though I wish they weren't) but still feel like "foreign" is just so vast it could easily take up multiple categories.  Seems the categories are pretty set, but an idea would be a split between European and Other, or Asian and Other, or...  But I'm the one whose shtick was to take all foreign films the last time we did this draft.  :lol:  

Unlike the sports draft, this will have picks that could fall in to multiple categories.  I’m assuming moving films around is kosher, even multiple times?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlike the sports draft, this will have picks that could fall in to multiple categories.  I’m assuming moving films around is kosher, even multiple times?
Kinda my thoughts as well. Depending on how things shake out moving a film to get most value will be a highly used strategy 

I like 80s' comment and think @krista4 should participate and lay down an all foreign movie draft on us.  
I would probably do this for funsies if we were two weeks from now.  I just can't spend the time until then.  If this is still going, which I guess at 50 rounds it would be(?), maybe I"ll come in late and drop a bunch of foreign junk on you.  :)  

One thing I would like to suggest to highlight newer stuff would be similar to legendary movie star/modern movie star, have legendary director/modern director.   Similar concept - first movie was made 1980+.  

Personally, I would scrap "artistic" because I have 0 clue what you mean, move Action up there with the genres, and have that extra spot for modern director.  

One thing I would like to suggest to highlight newer stuff would be similar to legendary movie star/modern movie star, have legendary director/modern director.   Similar concept - first movie was made 1980+.  

Personally, I would scrap "artistic" because I have 0 clue what you mean, move Action up there with the genres, and have that extra spot for modern director.  
Hmm. OK

Similar concept - first movie was made 1980+.  
There is a problem here: certain directors and movie stars straddle the line with great films both before and after 1980. If you draft one of these you get ALL of their films both before and after but you need to decide whether to put them in the legendary or modern category. 

There is a problem here: certain directors and movie stars straddle the line with great films both before and after 1980. If you draft one of these you get ALL of their films both before and after but you need to decide whether to put them in the legendary or modern category. 
I guess.   If I were judging, I would weight accordingly through.  

Maybe 90s+?  Just drunken spitballing here.  

Similar concept - first movie was made 1980+.  
I think Karma's wondering the same thing I was wondering on Pg 1 -- why are movie star categories split legends/modern, but the director category is just legends?

If you have an underlying reason that it made sense to do it that way, just lay it out for the house. I can thing of one pro: directors tend to have much longer primes than movie stars. A second pro: 1980 is fairly close to the time when the studio system's hold on talent stopped reverberating in Hollywood (i.e. the prime years of the last of the studio-system actors were essentially over).

I get what tim is saying, and I don't think it's spoiling anything to bring up huge names, so I will say Scorsese again.  IF we split up director, whoever takes him has to decide if he goes in the legendary or modern category.  So do Goodfellas/Wolf of Wall Street/The Departed get taken of the equation for judges, or do Raging Bull and Taxi Driver? 

Get all of their films? You don’t mean to say if someone drafts Tom Hanks that Saving Private Ryan and Forrest Gump and all his movies are off limits now?

My take on legendary vs modern 

Legendary had to start their career before 1980, modern started after 1980. Thats just based on their first credited role as an actor or director. 

Users who are viewing this thread