What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Hunger Games (1 Viewer)

Just going to go on record here that this movie is going to make boatloads.

I have a preteen son, a mid-teen daughter and a wife that all want to go see this asap.

It's going to attract a very wide range of audience, could see this being the highest grossing movie of the year (admittedly, I don't know what other movies are coming out, but the only anticipated release I could think of off the top of my head I think has a chance to do better will be "The Hobbit")

:blackdot:

Just going to go on record here that this movie is going to make boatloads.I have a preteen son, a mid-teen daughter and a wife that all want to go see this asap.It's going to attract a very wide range of audience, could see this being the highest grossing movie of the year (admittedly, I don't know what other movies are coming out, but the only anticipated release I could think of off the top of my head I think has a chance to do better will be "The Hobbit") :blackdot:
Avengers

Just going to go on record here that this movie is going to make boatloads.I have a preteen son, a mid-teen daughter and a wife that all want to go see this asap.It's going to attract a very wide range of audience, could see this being the highest grossing movie of the year (admittedly, I don't know what other movies are coming out, but the only anticipated release I could think of off the top of my head I think has a chance to do better will be "The Hobbit") :blackdot:
Avengers
This movie is going to out-do avengers easily.I could see it breaking a bunch of records. It's going to get all the Twilight audience, and a ton of adults too. I had no desire to ever see twilight, but I really want to go see this movie.If the movie is actually a great movie, and one of those that kids go to see 2 and 3 times, it could easily be the top grossing movie of the year, or the last few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avengers
This movie is going to out-do avengers easily.I could see it breaking a bunch of records. It's going to get all the Twilight audience, and a ton of adults too. I had no desire to ever see twilight, but I really want to go see this movie.If the movie is actually a great movie, and one of those that kids go to see 2 and 3 times, it could easily be the top grossing movie of the year, or the last few years.
I have no doubt that it will be a major money maker, dont get me wrong, however look at these numbers in North America alone. The super heroes already have a well established fan base and would shock me if the movie earns less then $350 million. Maybe Hunger Games gets there also but we will see. Again, I am a fan and will wait to see it next week some time. Im pulling for it (and Im pulling for them to make the 2nd and 3rd stories a bit better)Capt America- $368.6Iron man- $318,412,101 Iron man 2- $312,433,331Thor- $181,030,624Hulk- 263,427,551

I've read all 3 books and agree with the sentiment that the first one was good and they then went downhill and I had a hard time finishing the 3rd. However, I'm really looking forward to the movie. I think the movies of books 2 & 3 will be better than the books as they both have the makings for an exciting movie and they can cut out all the nonsense.

Action movie with hot girl killing people that appeals to teens, housewives, and men. Boatloads of Money will be made!

2) I liked it the first time I saw it, when it was called Battle Royale.
I thought the exploding collar idea was great when Stephen King wrote it in The Running Man in the 80s.
Very true. Take that, mix in some of The Long Walk, saute with a bit of Battle Royale, add a healthy amount of Twilight, and you have The Hunger Games.
You seem to know a lot about a book that you have never read.

I'm a 7th grade teacher and often find myself reading books that I hear my kids talking about.....really enjoyed this series.....loved both book one and two in this series, liked book three but not nearly as much as the first two. I don't think that is because it was a bad book at all....just so different from the other two. I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

I'll tell you where a lot of money is being made is people jumping on the books due to the movie coming. My wife is one of those and I know some others at school.

Hoping it's good!!

I thought the exploding collar idea was great when Stephen King wrote it in The Running Man in the 80s.
Very true. Take that, mix in some of The Long Walk, saute with a bit of Battle Royale, add a healthy amount of Twilight, and you have The Hunger Games.
I know lots of adults who gush about it all the time, along with Twilight and Harry Potter, hence my initial post.

I know lots of adults who gush about it all the time, along with Twilight and Harry Potter, hence my initial post.
You never read Harry Potter either I imagine. It was a mostly excellent series of books.I never really heard much good about Twilight nor did I hear how it was a cross generational phenomenon. Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner is what drew the adult women to see the films, I don't think those women were reading the books, which contain a very negative opinion of independent women. And certainly very few teenage or adult men were reading them, so I am not sure why you would put it in the same category.Frankly when I first started to read the Hunger Games I was shocked to find out that people were letting their children read these books as they are extraordinarily violent. Easily on a Battle Royale level of bloody and gruesome. I would not be happy to have my 12-13 year old be reading that kind of violent content. But I find that many parents are very permissive with their children and, IMO, often choose to follow the path of least resistance rather than making difficult choices that will cause the child to push back even a little bit.

You never read Harry Potter either I imagine. It was a mostly excellent series of books.I never really heard much good about Twilight nor did I hear how it was a cross generational phenomenon. Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner is what drew the adult women to see the films, I don't think those women were reading the books, which contain a very negative opinion of independent women. And certainly very few teenage or adult men were reading them, so I am not sure why you would put it in the same category.Frankly when I first started to read the Hunger Games I was shocked to find out that people were letting their children read these books as they are extraordinarily violent. Easily on a Battle Royale level of bloody and gruesome. I would not be happy to have my 12-13 year old be reading that kind of violent content. But I find that many parents are very permissive with their children and, IMO, often choose to follow the path of least resistance rather than making difficult choices that will cause the child to push back even a little bit.
Condescending much? My 11-year old son wanted to read the book, so I made the point of reading it first so that I had a full appreciation of the subject matter. Told my son at that point that he should wait to read it. A year later, when he was 12, he and I talked about it, and we agreed together that he could read it. Are there some violent sequences? Yes. But I deemed the book to be suitable for my son at that point (though not a year earlier) based on his development and maturity.

Lions Gate stock is blowing up in anticipation of this movie....

LGF

Frankly when I first started to read the Hunger Games I was shocked to find out that people were letting their children read these books as they are extraordinarily violent. Easily on a Battle Royale level of bloody and gruesome. I would not be happy to have my 12-13 year old be reading that kind of violent content. But I find that many parents are very permissive with their children and, IMO, often choose to follow the path of least resistance rather than making difficult choices that will cause the child to push back even a little bit.
Condescending much? My 11-year old son wanted to read the book, so I made the point of reading it first so that I had a full appreciation of the subject matter. Told my son at that point that he should wait to read it. A year later, when he was 12, he and I talked about it, and we agreed together that he could read it. Are there some violent sequences? Yes. But I deemed the book to be suitable for my son at that point (though not a year earlier) based on his development and maturity.
I agree with bigbottom. The concept of the book is violent, but it didn't come across as over-the-top gory. If anything, the love story would probably be tough for an 11 or 12 year old to understand. In a world where the Star Wars movies are marketed to kids less than 10, you'd have to be pretty arrogant to discourage a 13 year old from reading a book they might enjoy.

You never read Harry Potter either I imagine. It was a mostly excellent series of books.I never really heard much good about Twilight nor did I hear how it was a cross generational phenomenon. Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner is what drew the adult women to see the films, I don't think those women were reading the books, which contain a very negative opinion of independent women. And certainly very few teenage or adult men were reading them, so I am not sure why you would put it in the same category.

Frankly when I first started to read the Hunger Games I was shocked to find out that people were letting their children read these books as they are extraordinarily violent. Easily on a Battle Royale level of bloody and gruesome. I would not be happy to have my 12-13 year old be reading that kind of violent content. But I find that many parents are very permissive with their children and, IMO, often choose to follow the path of least resistance rather than making difficult choices that will cause the child to push back even a little bit.
Pretty sure I wasn't talking about you.

I agree with bigbottom. The concept of the book is violent, but it didn't come across as over-the-top gory. If anything, the love story would probably be tough for an 11 or 12 year old to understand. In a world where the Star Wars movies are marketed to kids less than 10, you'd have to be pretty arrogant to discourage a 13 year old from reading a book they might enjoy.
12-18 year olds hacking each other to bits with axes and swords. 24 entrants with 23 guaranteed to die. Blood rain and suffocating acid gas. Cyborg monkeys and reanimated were-corpses (no respect for the dead) tearing children to bits. The list goes on and on.None of that is over the top gory?

IIRC, we read Lord of the Flies at about that time for school. Is it more violent than that?

IIRC, we read Lord of the Flies at about that time for school. Is it more violent than that?
Very much so.Poor Piggy.

12-18 year olds hacking each other to bits with axes and swords. 24 entrants with 23 guaranteed to die. Blood rain and suffocating acid gas. Cyborg monkeys and reanimated were-corpses (no respect for the dead) tearing children to bits. The list goes on and on.None of that is over the top gory?
Maybe I'm just sensitized, but I've read much gorier. The author didn't dwell on a lot of the details that could made it seem more violent. To me, it was presented more matter-of-factly.

Whether it is over the top gory is a matter of how those scenes were described. The one scene that was the most problematic to me was the scene where Katniss has the hallucination.

Whether it is over the top gory is a matter of how those scenes were described. The one scene that was the most problematic to me was the scene where Katniss has the hallucination.
Forgot about the hallucinations, that's another one. Collins described everything pretty graphically. You obviously discussed this with your kid, which I applaud, but these are very violent books from any perspective.

Wow, I didn't know this was going to turn into this type of thread. Finished it, anticipating reading the next two. When "banned book week" comes and some of you guys are complaining about this and that, I know who to laugh at as well as cry at due to the horrid nature of some violence and love.

You never read Harry Potter either I imagine. It was a mostly excellent series of books.
OH COME ON!
No point in engaging you on this.
:lmao: Sorry.What's your favorite Dragon Riders book?
:fishy:
Eragon?
Keep trying you'll get something eventually.
You think I'm fishing? All I'm saying is that I don't understand why adults read kid-lit.

You never read Harry Potter either I imagine. It was a mostly excellent series of books.
OH COME ON!
Eragon?
You think I'm fishing? All I'm saying is that I don't understand why adults read kid-lit.
You are reaching here. You have never watched a movie intended for kids. The theme is a good one. I missed the memo that said adults need to read certain books while others are off limitsYou are better then this

Why do adults read kid-lit?

Cause most of it is much better than adult lit. I'm going to go pick up the latest shakesphere play tonight and recite it with my neighbors. Who's with me? It'll be a gas.

OH COME ON!
Eragon?
You are reaching here. You have never watched a movie intended for kids. The theme is a good one. I missed the memo that said adults need to read certain books while others are off limitsYou are better then this
Of course I've watched movies intended for kids. I have kids of my own. But I've never said "OMG I have GOT to see 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs!!!' What theme are you talking about? HP or Hunger Games? Either way I'm pretty sure whatever is in those books has been covered many times over in non-juvenile lit.And I'm not better than this.

OH COME ON!
Eragon?
And I'm not better than this.
It's true. He's not.Plus Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs got jobbed at the Oscars.

I liked Hunger Games. I liked Harry Potter. I also liked Grapes of Wrath, Slaughterhouse 5, and Catcher in the Rye. I like a good story, and as long as the writing isn't horrible (like Dean Koontz or James Patterson) I'll probably like any book with a good one.

OH COME ON!
Eragon?
You are fishing. So far that seems to be the bulk of what you do around here.And Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs was hilarious.STEVE!!!

OH COME ON!
Eragon?
You are fishing. So far that seems to be the bulk of what you do around here.
OK, guy.

I liked Hunger Games. I liked Harry Potter.
I rest my case.
Gonna have to agree with Frostillicus on this one. You don't always have to read Pulitzer Prize worthy literature. I am just finishing up Cloud Atlas, before that I read the Hunger Games. You read different novels when you are in different moods. Just as sometimes I enjoy a filet mignon when I'm hungry but can also be satisfied with a Big Mac. Let's not pretend you are on some intellectual plane above the majority of the posters here because you don't read YA.

OH COME ON!
Eragon?
You are fishing. So far that seems to be the bulk of what you do around here.
OK, guy.
I'm not your guy, buddy.

I liked Hunger Games. I liked Harry Potter.
I rest my case.
Gonna have to agree with Frostillicus on this one. You don't always have to read Pulitzer Prize worthy literature. I am just finishing up Cloud Atlas, before that I read the Hunger Games. You read different novels when you are in different moods. Just as sometimes I enjoy a filet mignon when I'm hungry but can also be satisfied with a Big Mac. Let's not pretend you are on some intellectual plane above the majority of the posters here because you don't read YA.
Not pretending at all.

OH COME ON!
Eragon?
PrettY simple. You have kids you want to monitor what theyre exposed to or you just like a good story. I liked "Shrek" and "the incredibles" pretty sure they weren't aimed at 40 yr olds

OH COME ON!
Eragon?
PrettY simple. You have kids you want to monitor what theyre exposed to or you just like a good story. I liked "Shrek" and "the incredibles" pretty sure they weren't aimed at 40 yr olds
That's not what I'm talking about. And Shreck, the Incredibles, and Toy Story were actually aimed at adults in some ways. And there is a big difference between a 35 year old watching a 90 minute movie and spending days/weeks reading The Hardy Boys.

In middle school/high school, I read every single Louis L'Amour book printed...

I can still read them today and enjoy them.. as with "Where the red fern grows"..

I also loved "The Dark Tower" series by King and have read the whole series 3 or 4 times.

I LIKED Hunger Games.. it was a very easy read and entertained me. :shrug:

Edit to add:

For the record, I didn't know it was a "Young Adult" book before I read it.. I only found out after.

Still didn't diminish how much I enjoyed it.

OH COME ON!
Eragon?
That's not what I'm talking about. And Shreck, the Incredibles, and Toy Story were actually aimed at adults in some ways. And there is a big difference between a 35 year old watching a 90 minute movie and spending days/weeks reading The Hardy Boys.
I'm just finishing up the thriller "Hop on Pop." I thought its misandrous themes were a little mature for young audiences

So we've got some folks arguing that the books are too adult for kids and others arguing that they're too youthful for adults.

Users who are viewing this thread