What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Johan Santana rumor mill (1 Viewer)

With the curious move of the Angels signing Torri Hunter, I wonder if they can make an offer involving Willits, Weaver, and a couple top prospects. The Angels have a ton of pieces here to make a deal work.

And just to add, I don't think big time pitching prospects have to be the centerpiece of the deal for the Twins. They have some solid young arms and Liriano is coming back. They need some serious offensive help, so a regular young starter, and a big time prospect on the cusp of the majors are probably what's needed as the backbone of the deal.

Santana trade talks stirWednesday, November 21st, 2007 From Buster Olney’s blog today:• Rival general managers say that in recent days, Minnesota’s Bill Smith is quietly gauging the market for left-hander Johan Santana, determining what deals he might have, in the aftermath of the report that Santana turned down a five-year, $93 million offer from the Twins. The Mets will be among the most aggressive teams in any Santana bidding.We have yet to receive those same indications from other teams, but I believe it’s only a matter of time before the game is abuzz with serious Santana trade speculation, especially heading into the winter meetings.Latest on the local front on Santana
If they want to include Reyes or Wright, I think they'd be the front runners.If they don't, they simply don't have the horses to make this one go I don't think. If motivated, the Sox are tough to beat with Bucholz, Elisbury plus. And its really crappy if the Twins move him.
The Sox won't part with Ellsbury. From what I've seen, it would be Lester OR Buchholz, Crisp, and a minor league prospect.
Lester/Crisp/prospect is not even close to a good deal for the Twins. Switch out Lester for Buchholz and the deal gets much better, but still not a fantastic deal.The Sox would certainly include Ellsbury in the right deal. Whether that happens is certainly in doubt, but I think it is crazy talk to assume that 1 decent month in September, and 2 excellent weeks in the playoffs is enough for the front office to deem him untouchable. Ellsbury could turn into a fantastic player...although more likely he turns into what Coco was in Cleveland. If the Sox think that Crisp can turn into 90% of the hitter he was 2 years ago, that coupled with his superb defense makes him a hugely valuable player.

:confused: at these people pimping Coco Crisp as if he were an important piece of a Santana deal. Coco's about as important to a Sox deal for Santana as Melky would be to a Yankees deal.....i.e.... not very important. It's going to take two blue chips (of the Chamberlain,Hughes,Ellsbury,Bucholz vein) for Santana.

Do the math: Twins, Santana a long ways off

The team's five-year, $93 million offer this month fell well short of what the two-time Cy Young Award winner is seeking.

By Joe Christensen, Star Tribune

The Twins have begun listening to trade talks involving Johan Santana after exchanging recent contract proposals with the two-time Cy Young Award winner and blinking at his asking price.

According to people familiar with the discussions, the Twins made Santana a five-year, $93 million offer this month, and Santana's camp countered with a request for about $126 million.

The Twins told Santana's agent, Peter Greenberg, they were willing to top the five-year, $91.5 million deal the Cubs gave pitcher Carlos Zambrano in August.

But Greenberg countered by citing the seven-year, $126 million deal the Giants handed Barry Zito last December.

The Twins insist all hope of signing Santana isn't lost, that a compromise could eventually be reached, but other teams have found he is no longer off limits in trade discussions.

On Wednesday, word of Santana's availability remained mostly a whisper in major league circles, but it's expected to become a roar before the winter meetings, Dec. 3-6.

The suitors could include the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Angels.

Earlier this month at the general managers' meetings, Twins GM Bill Smith repeatedly said the goal was to sign Santana, not trade him.

Asked Wednesday if that stance had changed, Smith said: "I'm not commenting on contracts or trades. There's no benefit to the club, the player, or the agent. So I take the fifth."

Greenberg also declined comment.

The Twins were not surprised by Santana's request.

Zito's contract, negotiated by agent Scott Boras, is the largest ever signed by a pitcher.

Santana, 28, is eligible for free agency after next season, and privately, the Twins acknowledge he is superior to Zito, 29, a fellow lefthander.

But if Santana is determined to become the highest-paid pitcher in baseball, trading him could prove difficult.

For the Twins to get the return they'd want -- likely three or four high-quality young players -- the other team would need assurances it could keep Santana beyond 2008.

With a complete no-trade clause, Santana would have serious leverage, but there is no guarantee any team would give him Zito-type money.

The Mets, for example, might have the burning need for a front-line starter. They might have young prospects to package for the Twins (including outfielders Carlos Gomez, Fernando Martinez and Lastings Milledge).

But even with a similar need for pitching last offseason, the Mets drew a line in the sand with Zito. Their best offer was for five years and $75 million.

The current free agent pitching market is thin, but Santana isn't the only pitcher on the trade market. Teams also have inquired about Baltimore's Erik Bedard, Florida's Dontrelle Willis and Oakland's Joe Blanton and Dan Haren.

Unlike Santana, none of those others can become a free agent after 2008.

Smith has said he isn't afraid to take Santana into the season with the contract issue unresolved. The Twins could pair Santana with All-Star lefthander Francisco Liriano, hoping to rekindle their magic of 2006.

And if they fall from contention, they could always move Santana at the trade deadline.

Either way, unless Santana lowers his asking price considerably, the chances he'll remain with the Twins in 2009 seem increasingly remote.

Nathan discussions

Indications are the Twins also exchanged recent contract proposals with closer Joe Nathan.

Like Santana, Nathan is a free agent after 2008, so if the sides can't reach a deal, the Twins could begin entertaining trade offers on both fronts.

Mariano Rivera raised the bar for all closers when he signed his recent three-year, $45 million deal with the Yankees.

Joe Christensen • jchristensen@startribune.com

Looks like if your team needs pitching contact the Minnesota Twins

the moops said:
Santana trade talks stirWednesday, November 21st, 2007 From Buster Olney’s blog today:• Rival general managers say that in recent days, Minnesota’s Bill Smith is quietly gauging the market for left-hander Johan Santana, determining what deals he might have, in the aftermath of the report that Santana turned down a five-year, $93 million offer from the Twins. The Mets will be among the most aggressive teams in any Santana bidding.We have yet to receive those same indications from other teams, but I believe it’s only a matter of time before the game is abuzz with serious Santana trade speculation, especially heading into the winter meetings.Latest on the local front on Santana
If they want to include Reyes or Wright, I think they'd be the front runners.If they don't, they simply don't have the horses to make this one go I don't think. If motivated, the Sox are tough to beat with Bucholz, Elisbury plus. And its really crappy if the Twins move him.
The Sox won't part with Ellsbury. From what I've seen, it would be Lester OR Buchholz, Crisp, and a minor league prospect.
Lester/Crisp/prospect is not even close to a good deal for the Twins. Switch out Lester for Buchholz and the deal gets much better, but still not a fantastic deal.The Sox would certainly include Ellsbury in the right deal. Whether that happens is certainly in doubt, but I think it is crazy talk to assume that 1 decent month in September, and 2 excellent weeks in the playoffs is enough for the front office to deem him untouchable. Ellsbury could turn into a fantastic player...although more likely he turns into what Coco was in Cleveland. If the Sox think that Crisp can turn into 90% of the hitter he was 2 years ago, that coupled with his superb defense makes him a hugely valuable player.
It's been widely reported around here that Crisp won't be around and Ellsbury will be starting next year. Theo has pretty much said this from the time the Series was over. They now say there is a slim chance they may keep Crisp as a 4th outfielder, but I don't see Ellsbury going anywhere unless they had an insane value trade (which will never happen).

I am confident in stating that the Red Sox will have completed a deal for Santana by late next week. All indications are that the deal may go down by Tuesday.

I am confident in stating that the Red Sox will have completed a deal for Santana by late next week. All indications are that the deal may go down by Tuesday.
:shock: that means the Yanks will be calling by Mon pm and selling te farm again - Santana is the one guy I wouldn't rip them for dealing some of their blue chip pitchers...

Twins won't make same mistake with Santana

With Torii Hunter already gone, the Twins appear determined not to let their ace walk away as well -- meaning a trade could be in order.

By Joe Christensen, Star Tribune

There were lessons to be learned for the Twins this week, as center fielder Torii Hunter left them to sign his $90 million deal with the Angels.

Lessons about being proactive. Lessons about dealing with star players long before free agency.

Unfortunately, with Johan Santana, it's already too late.

Santana can become a free agent after next season, and the Twins seem determined not to let the same thing happen with him.

That doesn't mean they will keep Santana. They are seriously considering trading their ace lefthander.

According to people familiar with the talks, Santana actually gave the Twins his blessing to begin exploring trade options after recent negotiations proved how difficult it will be to reach an agreement.

New details emerged Friday, as a person close to the discussions said the Twins' five-year, $93 million offer was actually the equivalent of a four-year, $80 million extension.

The team wanted to negate the final year of Santana's current deal, which will pay him $13.25 million this season, and begin the new five-year contract.

The Star Tribune reported this week that Santana countered by asking for $126 million, but the person close to the talks said Santana actually countered with a request for a six-year extension.

He didn't request a dollar amount, but both sides realized they were two years and upward of $40 million apart.

Santana approved the team's trade attempts, knowing he will have the final say because of his complete no-trade clause.

In coming days, the Twins are expected to receive proposals from the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Dodgers and possibly other teams, as the industry weighs the heavy price of landing the two-time Cy Young Award winner.

The Twins want at least three premium young players for Santana, and they hope to address their gaping holes at third base or center field.

That could prove tricky, however, as any team that trades for Santana would likely need to sign him to a new deal, with some predicting he will ask for $25 million per year.

That price tag might make the Twins shudder, but few thought Hunter's new salary could reach $18 million per year.

Things could have been different if the Twins had taken a different approach last winter, when Hunter and Santana were both clamoring for contract extensions.

People familiar with the players' thinking say the center fielder would have agreed to a five-year, $65 million contract last offseason. That's quite a bargain compared to what the Angels just gave him.

But the Twins chose to pick up Hunter's $12 million option and let him walk the plank toward free agency.

Meanwhile last winter, Santana was looking for a five-year, $100 million extension. He was under contract for two more years, so the total package would have been almost identical to the seven-year, $126 million deal Barry Zito signed with the Giants.

Now, the Twins could try offering that same $100 million extension and Santana wouldn't take it.

The closer players get to free agency, the less risk they have of getting injured and spoiling their chances at a big fortune. Insiders say Hunter was the one keeping the Twins at arm's length during the season, when the team was finally ready to negotiate.

This week, Hunter said the Twins are at a pivotal crossroads with Santana.

"Either you step up this offseason," he said, "or Johan might be out."

The Twins argue that they were proactive with both Hunter and Santana earlier in their careers.

They gave Santana his current four-year, $40 million contract after he won the Cy Young in 2004.

And Hunter was coming off his 2002 All-Star season when the Twins signed him to a four-year deal with an option for 2007. When they picked up that option, it brought the total value of the contract to $44 million.

"I don't have any regrets [with Hunter] because we made him a huge offer five years ago," Twins General Manager Bill Smith said. "He had a tremendous year in '06. We picked up the option. I think everybody got out of that deal what they anticipated."

One of the Twins' quiet strengths is their ability to avoid bad contracts. Outside of Joe Mays, they have signed few players for deals that wasted several million dollars.

But the Hunter saga proved it's sometimes wise to take the gamble. It's too late for the Twins with Santana, but they can apply those lessons with Justin Morneau and Michael Cuddyer.

Joe Christensen • jchristensen@startribune.com

Santana, 28, is eligible for free agency after next season, and privately, the Twins acknowledge he is superior to Zito, 29, a fellow lefthander.

With a complete no-trade clause, Santana would have serious leverage, but there is no guarantee any team would give him Zito-type money.

The Mets, for example, might have the burning need for a front-line starter. They might have young prospects to package for the Twins (including outfielders Carlos Gomez, Fernando Martinez and Lastings Milledge).

But even with a similar need for pitching last offseason, the Mets drew a line in the sand with Zito. Their best offer was for five years and $75 million.
The bolded parts are why many writers don't have a clue...1) Acknowledge??? Yeah, EVERYONE knows Santana is great

2) No guarantee Santana would get Zito money??? Are you kidding...That is a steal for Santana

3) Every team in contention (or even not) has a burning for a front line starter, especially if he is an uber stud. Beckett was the main reason why the RedSox won and with the idiotic playoff schedules with days off all over the place a stud is even more valuable

4) The Mets drew the line with Zito because he is a solid pitcher, not a stud.

Don't you think the Red Sox would love to pair Santana and Beckett? The Yanks get Santana and they will probably win the WS..seriously. The Mets get Santana and they will be awfully tough.

As for what the teams give up, usually they are good minor leaguers (could be studs) and not parts of the championship run. Oh and of course any trade is contingent on signing to a long term deal.

I see the Yanks getting very aggressive, but Joba won't be traded and I could see Melky Cabrera (who is only 24) and Hughes/Kennedy going along with another minor leaguer.

The Red Sox have Pedroia and Ellsbury but cheap and good players are very valuable and I would think they would much rather trade their best minor league prospects.

I am a Yankee fan.

The bolded parts are why many writers don't have a clue...1) Acknowledge??? Yeah, EVERYONE knows Santana is great

2) No guarantee Santana would get Zito money??? Are you kidding...That is a steal for Santana

3) Every team in contention (or even not) has a burning for a front line starter, especially if he is an uber stud. Beckett was the main reason why the RedSox won and with the idiotic playoff schedules with days off all over the place a stud is even more valuable

Don't you think the Red Sox would love to pair Santana and Beckett? The Yanks get Santana and they will probably win the WS..seriously. The Mets get Santana and they will be awfully tough.

As for what the teams give up, usually they are good minor leaguers (could be studs) and not parts of the championship run. Oh and of course any trade is contingent on signing to a long term deal.

I see the Yanks getting very aggressive, but Joba won't be traded and I could see Melky Cabrera (who is only 24) and Hughes/Kennedy going along with another minor leaguer.

The Red Sox have Pedroia and Ellsbury but cheap and good players are very valuable and I would think they would much rather trade their best minor league prospects.

I am a Yankee fan.
Good postingFrom what I see locally, I think the team that gets Santana will be the Mets, why? The Mets have some really good talent in their farm system, the Twins are looking for Blue Chip, "can't Miss" prospects, that they don't have to pay a lot of money to start with.

The Twins are really gearing up for their new ball park which opens 2010, I think they trade Santana for the BEST prospects they can get, and groom those prospects for 2010. I see this trade happening during the 2008 season, unless someone blows them away during the winter meetings.

Gopher State said:

I am a Yankee fan.
Good postingFrom what I see locally, I think the team that gets Santana will be the Mets, why? The Mets have some really good talent in their farm system, the Twins are looking for Blue Chip, "can't Miss" prospects, that they don't have to pay a lot of money to start with.

The Twins are really gearing up for their new ball park which opens 2010, I think they trade Santana for the BEST prospects they can get, and groom those prospects for 2010. I see this trade happening during the 2008 season, unless someone blows them away during the winter meetings.
I get the feeling the Mets would be the front runner as well and that is mostly because they appear to have more prospects that they are willing to get rid of. Now the only thing that matters though is how Minnesota values the prospects thrown their way. They may feel that "Hughes" is the best prospect anyone throws at them and they make a deal with in mind. To me that is the key factor as the Yanks will be aggressive and I would expect the Red Sox and Mets as well (Dodgers because of Torre deserve mention)

"Our colleague Peter Gammons is hearing that the Twins want this three-player package from the Yankees, in any Santana conversation: pitcher Phil Hughes and center fielders Melky Cabrera and Austin Jackson."

"Our colleague Peter Gammons is hearing that the Twins want this three-player package from the Yankees, in any Santana conversation: pitcher Phil Hughes and center fielders Melky Cabrera and Austin Jackson."
If true, I'd sign up for that as a Yankee fan. Get to keep Joba and Kennedy? Yeah, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Id do this deal but the Yanks would HAVE to sign a CF

Id do this deal but the Yanks would HAVE to sign a CF
There are still several out there, but they will have to pay 10 mil +. Aaron Rowand would make the most sense, if the Yanks want to pony up some $$$$, and with the way they are spending this offseason, it wouldn't surprise me if they go after him.

The local word in Minny is the Yanks would have to give up Hughs, Kennedy, Cabera,Tabata. I don't think the Yanks will do this, so I think the mets end up with Santana.

The local word in Minny is the Yanks would have to give up Hughs, Kennedy, Cabera,Tabata. I don't think the Yanks will do this, so I think the mets end up with Santana.
1. There's no way the Twins are getting 4 top tier prospects. 2. The Mets don't have 3 much less 4 top-tier prospects to deal unless you want 3 OFs in Milledge, Gomez, and Martinez. They really don't have have any grade A pitching prospects either since Humber has been bad lately. The Mets farm system us really down.Really the only 4 teams with the resources and ML ready prospects to get this deal done are the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, and Angels.

never
I agree I don't think the Yanks will get Santana. The Twins have some quality young pitchers, but we need help in the OF, thats why I think the Mets are the front runner with Gomez, Martinez, Milledge combination package with two of three or maybe even all three with another prospect.IMO I think Santana starts the season with the Twins, plays/pitches like someone going for a big contact (like Hunter did this past year) as the trading deadline approaches the team that wants to win today will give up some of their future stars. I see this being the Mets. No doubt Santana will be the difference maker for someone this year, just who?

I love Santana, recognize how great he is, don't overrate the Yankees young talent, but still, I think I have to walk away from Hughes, Kennedy, Tabata and Cabrera...

I think that's one pitcher too many...

I love Santana, recognize how great he is, don't overrate the Yankees young talent, but still, I think I have to walk away from Hughes, Kennedy, Tabata and Cabrera...I think that's one pitcher too many...
exactly. I'd do both OF's and one of the pitchers, but not both. Thats not worth it, especially since the yanks will have to go get a CF. I know nothing about Tabata, other than that he's a top prospect. Anyone seen him play? What does he project to? I dont see the Mets getting Santana, not with the way that Humber and Pelfrey have nosedived in the past year.

never
but we need help in the OF, thats why I think the Mets are the front runner with Gomez, Martinez, Milledge combination package with two of three or maybe even all three with another prospect.
I keep hearing the Twins are looking for positional players and not just young pitchers in return.IF that is the case the Mets would match up well.Fernando MartinezCarlos GomezAaron HeilmanMike Pelfreyfor Santana and a long term deal in place before any players are swapped.SoldDone dealWhere do I sign?

New Santana details emerge

Monday morning Twins briefing

Monday, November 26th, 2007

La Velle and I are keeping our ears to the ground for any developments on the Johan Santana trade front. Ken Rosenthal reported the Twins are asking for one major league star — think Jose Reyes or Robinson Cano — along with multiple prospects in their Santana discussions.

I think it’s right for the Twins to ask for those stars, but I don’t think they’d get much in the way of additional prospects in that type of a deal. Hard as this might be to grasp, a Cano for Santana deal might be more of a 1-for-1 because Cano won’t be a free agent until after 2011 and Santana can hit the market next fall.

We continue to hear major league insiders talk about how reluctant teams will be to give up three premium young players while still needing to pony up a six-year, $120 million contract extension to keep Johan from free agency. I think the Twins will know by the end of the winter meetings (which run Dec. 3-6) whether they can get enough to justify trading him.

The latest out of Minny on the Santant trade front.

New Santana details emerge

Monday morning Twins briefing

Monday, November 26th, 2007

La Velle and I are keeping our ears to the ground for any developments on the Johan Santana trade front. Ken Rosenthal reported the Twins are asking for one major league star — think Jose Reyes or Robinson Cano — along with multiple prospects in their Santana discussions.

I think it’s right for the Twins to ask for those stars, but I don’t think they’d get much in the way of additional prospects in that type of a deal. Hard as this might be to grasp, a Cano for Santana deal might be more of a 1-for-1 because Cano won’t be a free agent until after 2011 and Santana can hit the market next fall.

We continue to hear major league insiders talk about how reluctant teams will be to give up three premium young players while still needing to pony up a six-year, $120 million contract extension to keep Johan from free agency. I think the Twins will know by the end of the winter meetings (which run Dec. 3-6) whether they can get enough to justify trading him.

The latest out of Minny on the Santant trade front.
Geez those two things are about as mutually exclusive as one can get, but I can't blame his suitors for trying (thankfully for Twins fans, your GM is smart). Even if these teams waited until next offseason whatever team signed him would still lose a draft pick by signing him. Granted that pick/player is probably 2-4 years away from contributing, but it's still worth something (plus Minny would get a compensation pick which is why they need 3 or 4 prospects since they'd get 2 additional prospects in the draft by simply letting Santana walk and is one of the reasons they let Hunter walk). I still don't think the Mets are a good fit (i.e. I think their prospects suck for the most part), but if they're willing to deal Reyes and Gomez I'd be interested too. Same if the Yankees were willing to part with Cano and someone like Kennedy.

Funny how Cano is overrated in FBGs minds (and according to some is worse than Weeks) yet hes rumored to be swapped straight up for the best pitcher in baseball by beat writers and MLB GMs. I wonder if the Twins would do a Santana for Weeks swap? ;)

According to John Heyman:

Minnesota would surely like to see any package begin with a young stud to replace Santana and another to replace Hunter. The Dodgers could blow away the field if they were willing to offer a combination of Billingsley and Kemp (who has the speed to play center), but L.A. has been fairly possessive of its better young players. Boston could try to entice Minnesota with either Clay Buchholz or Jon Lester plus Coco Crisp (Minnesota would surely prefer Jacoby Ellsbury, but the Red Sox would want to keep him out of the deal), while the Yankees would have to part with Phil Hughes or at least Ian Kennedy plus Melky Cabrera (the Yankees say Joba Chamberlain and Robinson Cano are off-limits, even for Santana) and the Mets could package Mike Pelfrey with one of three outfielders -- Lastings Milledge, Carlos Gomez or Fernando Martinez.
Personally Im praying for a Kennedy/Cabrera/Jackson or Tabata deal

Funny how Cano is overrated in FBGs minds (and according to some is worse than Weeks) yet hes rumored to be swapped straight up for the best pitcher in baseball by beat writers and MLB GMs. I wonder if the Twins would do a Santana for Weeks swap? :goodposting:
Cano is excellent (his only weakness is he is a hacker - even if no small thing) but the Yanks won't trade Cano for Santana as it defeats the purpose of what they are trying to do.That being said, the Yanks should be aggressive in going after Santana. the Hughes/Melky and a minor leaguer deal make more sense.Melky is an interesting one as I thought he would get some more power as he gets older, but while still very young, he is VERY weak from the right side of the plate. I also think he is slightly too slow to play CF at a high level. Finally, while he has a great arm that is accurate, anyone who understands the game knows he takes too long to get rid of the ball. the point is not to knock his throwing ability which is still good, but it is not elite because he takes too many steps top throw the ball (and yes I am aware of all the assists). One thing that is solid about Melky is that he can hang in there and foul off a lot of pitches. he is still a good prospect and already a very good 4th OF, but I think he is slightly below average overall in CF. His OPS of .718 is below average. His arm is really good, he gets decent jumps on balls, but his lack of top end speed limits his range.

According to John Heyman:

Minnesota would surely like to see any package begin with a young stud to replace Santana and another to replace Hunter. The Dodgers could blow away the field if they were willing to offer a combination of Billingsley and Kemp (who has the speed to play center), but L.A. has been fairly possessive of its better young players. Boston could try to entice Minnesota with either Clay Buchholz or Jon Lester plus Coco Crisp (Minnesota would surely prefer Jacoby Ellsbury, but the Red Sox would want to keep him out of the deal), while the Yankees would have to part with Phil Hughes or at least Ian Kennedy plus Melky Cabrera (the Yankees say Joba Chamberlain and Robinson Cano are off-limits, even for Santana) and the Mets could package Mike Pelfrey with one of three outfielders -- Lastings Milledge, Carlos Gomez or Fernando Martinez.
Personally Im praying for a Kennedy/Cabrera/Jackson or Tabata deal
:devil: I like Kennedy, but I still think he is a step down from Joba and Hughes.

Funny how Cano is overrated in FBGs minds (and according to some is worse than Weeks) yet hes rumored to be swapped straight up for the best pitcher in baseball by beat writers and MLB GMs. I wonder if the Twins would do a Santana for Weeks swap? :goodposting:
Straight up? Are you serious? The Yanks would do that deal in a heartbeat. That is not the rumor.

I'm saving some of these. Your baseball quotes are good comedy.

There is a lot of chatter in NY on the news about trading for Johan with prospects, my money is on him in pinstripes next season. The yanks need to sell tickets in their new stadium and they will break the bank (and sell the farm) to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's get in on record before a deal goes through.... what would be a good, fair deal for the Yankees to get Santana with because something is telling me that the Haters would say the Yanks got ripped if they got Santana for a bag of balls and the Babe Ruth outfit Costanza wore in Seinfeld.

There is a lot of chatter in NY on the news about trading for Johan with prospects, my money is on him in pinstripes next season. The yanks need to sell tickets in their new stadium and they will break the bank (and sell the farm) to do so.
Pretty sure they're going to have very few problems selling tickets. This wouldn't be a ticket-selling maneuver, it'd be to try and finally get a guy who can be relied upon to win Game 1. And from what we've been hearing, the breaking the bank part is accurate but the selling the farm part not so much.

Funny how Cano is overrated in FBGs minds (and according to some is worse than Weeks) yet hes rumored to be swapped straight up for the best pitcher in baseball by beat writers and MLB GMs. I wonder if the Twins would do a Santana for Weeks swap? :lmao:
Straight up? Are you serious? The Yanks would do that deal in a heartbeat. That is not the rumor.
:unsure:
while the Yankees would have to part with Phil Hughes or at least Ian Kennedy plus Melky Cabrera (the Yankees say Joba Chamberlain and Robinson Cano are off-limits, even for Santana

Funny how Cano is overrated in FBGs minds (and according to some is worse than Weeks) yet hes rumored to be swapped straight up for the best pitcher in baseball by beat writers and MLB GMs. I wonder if the Twins would do a Santana for Weeks swap? :unsure:
I'm saving some of these. Your baseball quotes are good comedy.
:lmao: You really are a major ##### sometimes. I got this straight from the Minny beat writer posted above. Im not making this up. You seriously think Weeks is better than Cano? Now thats good comedy.
Hard as this might be to grasp, a Cano for Santana deal might be more of a 1-for-1 because Cano won’t be a free agent until after 2011 and Santana can hit the market next fall.

Funny how Cano is overrated in FBGs minds (and according to some is worse than Weeks) yet hes rumored to be swapped straight up for the best pitcher in baseball by beat writers and MLB GMs. I wonder if the Twins would do a Santana for Weeks swap? :lmao:
:unsure:
while the Yankees would have to part with Phil Hughes or at least Ian Kennedy plus Melky Cabrera (the Yankees say Joba Chamberlain and Robinson Cano are off-limits, even for Santana
Just because the Yankees have declared Cano off limits doesn't mean that the Twins would accept him straight up for Santana.

Funny how Cano is overrated in FBGs minds (and according to some is worse than Weeks) yet hes rumored to be swapped straight up for the best pitcher in baseball by beat writers and MLB GMs. I wonder if the Twins would do a Santana for Weeks swap? :rolleyes:
;)
Just because the Yankees have declared Cano off limits doesn't mean that the Twins would accept him straight up for Santana.
If you read my original post you didnt see me say that anywhere.

Funny how Cano is overrated in FBGs minds (and according to some is worse than Weeks) yet hes rumored to be swapped straight up for the best pitcher in baseball by beat writers and MLB GMs. I wonder if the Twins would do a Santana for Weeks swap? :rolleyes:
;)
It sure seems to be what you're implying from the quoted posts above.

:goodposting:
Yeah it does. But when you point it out (and this is like the umteenth time he has does this) then he calls you, me, and anyone else a "major ###." :shrug:Oh and I never said Weeks was better than Cano. I also never said Cano was a gold glover either thank God. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
They could win 60 games a season and they're still guaranteed 3 seasons of sellouts to kick off the new ballpark.

They could win 60 games a season and they're still guaranteed 3 seasons of sellouts to kick off the new ballpark.
No question about it, IMO. I'd bet that seats in the new Yankee stadium will be damned near impossible to get for a while.

:excited:
Cano is not off limits, neither is Joba. If the Twins asked for just Joba, the Yanks would do that deal and not even hesitate....same with Cano. Are you serious?There are very few players teams would not trade for the best pitcher in baseball. Cano slugs excellent for a 2B, he is a very good ball player, who is only 25 years old. Joba showed in limited action that he is ready for the majors. But this is Johan Santana we are talking about. I can't believe how much people are underestimating what he is worth to a team...and therefore what they think he should be traded for.

No Im saying newspaper writers and other GMs are saying a one for one swap of Cano and Johan is possible.

Yeah it does. But when you point it out (and this is like the umteenth time he has does this) then he calls you, me, and anyone else a "major ###." :shrug:Oh and I never said Weeks was better than Cano. I also never said Cano was a gold glover either thank God. :lmao:
Dont get it twisted. I was just calling you that as you seem to love to jump all over me in every forum just cuz you dont agree with my opinions or predictions.

Users who are viewing this thread