What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Joker (w/ Joaquin Phoenix) (2 Viewers)

This looks interesting.  Will probably watch when it comes to DVD.

As for previous jokers, I question anyone's judgement who doesn't have Ledger as their #1. 

"Let's do a Joker origin story that's a King of Comedy/Taxi Driver mashup" is what happens when filmmakers get together to smell their own farts for years at a time.

Just checked so to be fair he directed all three Hangover films as well as Old School. I really liked...two of those.

Just checked so to be fair he directed all three Hangover films as well as Old School. I really liked...two of those.
I was being a Richard and left off the good ones.  Just saying it's an odd choice of directors, especially on the heels of fanboy fave Nolan.  

I would be in for a King of Comedy/Taxi Driver mash up toned movie normally - just not in the form of a comic book movie, and not with the people involved. 

Based SOLELY on previews, joaquin is the best ever Joker. 

He just has it. THIS is what i always envisioned the real joker to be. Heath was unreal, dont get me wrong, but TOO evil. 

Joaquin seems to be giving it that balance of awkward beat down outcast and evil menace. I like it. 

ghostguy123 said:
As for previous jokers, I question anyone's judgement who doesn't have Ledger as their #1. 
Mark Hamill is #1 Joker

Kevin Conroy is #1 Batman

I'm willing to die upon this hill... 

Trailer looks decent, more open to seeing it now. 

Based SOLELY on previews, joaquin is the best ever Joker. 

He just has it. THIS is what i always envisioned the real joker to be. Heath was unreal, dont get me wrong, but TOO evil. 

Joaquin seems to be giving it that balance of awkward beat down outcast and evil menace. I like it. 
I think we can just go ahead and hand him the Oscar now. 

This looks like a continuation, or I guess prequel, to Ledger’s version of the Joker...not saying that from a good or bad angle, that’s just what it looks like

I don’t see a lot of movies in the theater so I most likely won’t see this for a a while but looks really interesting.  Somebody mentioned not liking having an origin story for Joker but I do - I wonder if this will be the new trend in superhero movies - villain origin stories.  I could get onboard with that.

Some more detail about the film.

Still, it's not the origin story that most will want.
1. Thanks for posting the link; a movie like this definitely needs some exposition so that it receives a fair chance. As a result, I'm more interested enough to try and catch it in the theaters when it comes out.

2. I have a gut feeling the comparisons to Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy are going to be superficial at best, in that they'll share a similar setting. Other than that I see it as an attempt to hype DeNiro being in it.

3. One of the things about Batman that I came to appreciate only later was that at its core it's 'noir' storytelling, and so to me it seems fitting that the greatest villain in that world gets his own story in that similar yet off-kilter vein.  From what little we get in the previews, this seems to have that potential.  I just hope it's done right.

4. Best part for me was the video says the intention is that this is a one-off story.  I think if they try to go beyond that, they'll take away too much of the greatness of the character.

ETA: 5. It's not the origin that most will want, but it's the origin that most will need.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Thanks for posting the link; a movie like this definitely needs some exposition so that it receives a fair chance. As a result, I'm more interested enough to try and catch it in the theaters when it comes out.

2. I have a gut feeling the comparisons to Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy are going to be superficial at best, in that they'll share a similar setting. Other than that I see it as an attempt to hype DeNiro being in it.

3. One of the things about Batman that I came to appreciate only later was that at its core it's 'noir' storytelling, and so to me it seems fitting that the greatest villain in that world gets his own story in that similar yet off-kilter vein.  From what little we get in the previews, this seems to have that potential.  I just hope it's done right.

4. Best part for me was the video says the intention is that this is a one-off story.  I think if they try to go beyond that, they'll take away too much of the greatness of the character.
Problem is every Batman movie has used the same exact origin tenants. Joker has an origin and this isn't it. There are significant liberties being taken with one aspect, the comic, and isn't including any of the other the core tenants of it.

There has not been a modern day, ie 80s and forward, that he is not a dark and flat out psychopath. This has zero of that feel.

Problem is every Batman movie has used the same exact origin tenants. Joker has an origin and this isn't it. There are significant liberties being taken with one aspect, the comic, and isn't including any of the other the core tenants of it.

There has not been a modern day, ie 80s and forward, that he is not a dark and flat out psychopath. This has zero of that feel.
From what I got in that video that Mario Kart linked, it doesn't seem like the intention is to necessarily make this the definitive origin story. That's a conceit that, after seeing more of what went into making this movie, I'm willing to accept.  Doesn't mean it gets a free pass, just that I'm willing to give them more of a chance to see what they do with the material.  But then again, I really liked Gotham, so I'm probably not the most discerning of Batman fans.

Your point about what the Joker is at his core is spot on, and a level of mystery about him needs to remain; my only thought is they want to show how he became that flat out psychopath (early guess from the trailers is that the world made him that way as opposed to him being born that way; that would be fitting considering the same can be said about Bruce Wayne and how he became Batman), and absolutely this is where they could get it horribly wrong.

Great! 

Weird take to say we’ve seen the same story multiple times and so we should see it again. I hope this entire movie tells the source material to piss off. 

Great! 

Weird take to say we’ve seen the same story multiple times and so we should see it again. I hope this entire movie tells the source material to piss off. 
He applied for the job of being a clown in a storm drain, but unfortunately he didn't send a follow up email within 24 hours of the interview, so they went with someone else.  His life spiraled after that.  

ETA: 5. It's not the origin that most will want, but it's the origin that most will need.
This is still DC studios, right?

it's awesome that we can now dismiss an entire movie and it's plot just by watching a trailer.
Why is that nay more irrational than concluding that a movie looks “awesome” from the trailer?

Admittedly, I didn’t need a trailer to tell me this isn’t my thing. I find all superhero origin stories tedious and I can’t imagine a less interesting origin story than this. 

Great! 

Then you don't have a Joker movie, you have some other movie. And honestly his backstory isn't interesting enough to warrant a stand alone movie about it.

Why is that nay more irrational than concluding that a movie looks “awesome” from the trailer?

Admittedly, I didn’t need a trailer to tell me this isn’t my thing. I find all superhero origin stories tedious and I can’t imagine a less interesting origin story than this. 
It's not, I think the people that piss and #### themselves over how great a movie is going to be based on a trailer are just as insane :shrug:   I've been burned enough times now by an awesome looking trailer that was the preface for a completely awful movie that I don't put a lot of stock in the trailers and just wait for word of mouth.

I didn't bother seeing Dr. Strange for awhile because I thought the trailer made it look like #### but then I started hearing that it was actually really good and so I checked it out and ended up liking it. Now that I think about it was the same deal for the first Kingsman, I didn't see it until it was on HBO because I thought it looked like a bond rip off :wall:

Then you don't have a Joker movie, you have some other movie. And honestly his backstory isn't interesting enough to warrant a stand alone movie about it.
The DC movie Universe is, as is their Comic Universe, a Multiverse.  There could be a thousand Joker origin stories and all of them would be valid.

It's an interesting take, particularly after the success of the rigid Marvel/Disney Universe......but being so far behind in development....DC has to take some chances. This movie looks like a chance well taken. 

The DC movie Universe is, as is their Comic Universe, a Multiverse.  There could be a thousand Joker origin stories and all of them would be valid.

It's an interesting take, particularly after the success of the rigid Marvel/Disney Universe......but being so far behind in development....DC has to take some chances. This movie looks like a chance well taken. 
I am pretty well versed in the DC universe. Been reading since the early 80s, funny how this version of the Joker hasn't been seen before.

DC should take the formula that Marvel has taken. Not every movie needs to be dark, that's what has killed them.

I am pretty well versed in the DC universe. Been reading since the early 80s, funny how this version of the Joker hasn't been seen before.

DC should take the formula that Marvel has taken. Not every movie needs to be dark, that's what has killed them.
The Ledger Joker hadn't been seen before. Leto's Joker hadn't been seen before. Tying Nicholson's Joker into Batman's parents death hadn't been seen before. While most acknowledge that The Killing Joke is the definitive Joker origin.  I don't think there's a character in comics more suited to have a (to quote Ledgers Joker) a "multiple choice" origin.  

I  think it would be a good idea to have a cinematic universe start in this way.  Start with the rise of a bad guy that provokes a hero to be created, in this case Batman,  to fight back.  Could be an intriguing twist. 

The Ledger Joker hadn't been seen before. Leto's Joker hadn't been seen before. Tying Nicholson's Joker into Batman's parents death hadn't been seen before. While most acknowledge that The Killing Joke is the definitive Joker origin.  I don't think there's a character in comics more suited to have a (to quote Ledgers Joker) a "multiple choice" origin.  
Leto's Joker was awful. I think Nicholson's was average at best and Ledger was spot on.

However all Jokers origins have similar tenants. Ordinary guy, maybe a bit odd, some criminal element, Ace Chemicals and Batman. This doesn't have the single two most important things to what turned Joker into Joker IMO. Ace and Batman. Without Batman I'd argue Joker never becomes Joker. There is no Batman here.

I also have a serious issue with the Titans on DC (it's horrible), many of the X-Men movies and a few other comic based movies that don't have a close tie to the origins of the characters.

Users who are viewing this thread