What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (1 Viewer)

Lists are starting to pick up steam. Received three this morning. At some point I'm going to need to start collating the data and coming up with contest questions. Oh, and do my own list. :)
This is going to sound bad on my part, but I haven't haven't submitted my list yet because I haven't figured out how to post spotify links; I've only posted youtube links in previous countdowns. I do have youtube links for the ones that aren't on spotify, do you want youtube links for all of them instead?

Lists are starting to pick up steam. Received three this morning. At some point I'm going to need to start collating the data and coming up with contest questions. Oh, and do my own list. :)
This is going to sound bad on my part, but I haven't haven't submitted my list yet because I haven't figured out how to post spotify links; I've only posted youtube links in previous countdowns. I do have youtube links for the ones that aren't on spotify, do you want youtube links for all of them instead?

Either one is fine, so if easier to send me Youtube links, just do that. Hawks and/or KP will make the playlists on Spotify but are good at looking for the songs. They'll find them if they're there; otherwise that song just won't be on the daily playlist.

What is the difference? It is just a cut and paste maneuver as with any link. Or, are you saying you are not on Spotify and thus don't have access to the links there? If you are on Spotify and just haven't found the links, click the three dots to the right next to the song's run time...go to share...copy song link.

What is the difference? It is just a cut and paste maneuver as with any link. Or, are you saying you are not on Spotify and thus don't have access to the links there? If you are on Spotify and just haven't found the links, click the three dots to the right next to the song's run time...go to share...copy song link.
I have a spotify account and you just taught me something. :bag:

I have a spotify account and you just taught me something. :bag:

It took me embarrassingly long with my Spotify account to learn this, too.

Go to your home screen. Look to the left of the home screen and right-click on the "Playlists" tab that should be there. You can then "Create Playlist" from that option. You should then be brought to a page that says "My Playlist" and be given a search prompt whereby you can add songs to a blank list.

Are you using your phone? I'm talking desktop here.

Go to your home screen. Look to the left of the home screen and right-click on the "Playlists" tab that should be there. You can then "Create Playlist" from that option. You should then be brought to a page that says "My Playlist" and be given a search prompt whereby you can add songs to a blank list.

Are you using your phone? I'm talking desktop here.
I'm sitting at the computer now. This sounds doable. Thanks.

We have a pretty major computer set-up here. Mr R has a Nerdtron 6000 monitor. It's very nice.

Wait, this thing hasn't even started yet?? ;)
Just pick the bong up if you’re getting impatient. :laugh:
Done- now what?

I could work on my next wave of playlists. I think I have about 20 finished so far and 30 others in the works. :lmao:

At this rate I am going to have to do my own MAD31 thread of all my playlists. Or get about 20 aliases.

Wait, this thing hasn't even started yet?? ;)
Just pick the bong up if you’re getting impatient. :laugh:
Done- now what?

I could work on my next wave of playlists. I think I have about 20 finished so far and 30 others in the works. :lmao:

At this rate I am going to have to do my own MAD31 thread of all my playlists. Or get about 20 aliases.
Have you considered decaf?
Lol. I have a lot of time to listen to music when I stop listening to 100s of hours of podcasts. Just been enjoying deep diving into bands and making playlists for people. The college kids at work have gotten me making some too as we talk about music.

As I joked with rock, I am in a better mood this last year, especially at work when I listen to much more music, so I've been embracing it. Covers is where I draw the line though. ;)

Covers is where I draw the line though.
This doesn't really make sense to me, as "covers" isn't really a genre or any particular sound. They can cover all musical grounds and many times you may not even know it's a cover.

Do you dislike artists that don't write their own songs? I don't see a discernable difference.

This doesn't really make sense to me, as "covers" isn't really a genre or any particular sound. They can cover all musical grounds and many times you may not even know it's a cover.

Do you dislike artists that don't write their own songs? I don't see a discernable difference.
One particular song in my playlist is the source of many covers, and while running down my favorite cover of said tune, I discovered it too was a cover.

Dislike is a strong word, but I think about them differently, yes. Yes, I realize there are songs I love now that I don't know is a cover. Yes, I openly admit I am very inconsistent in my likes/dislikes for covers, but often it is a very strong reaction in the negative, as was the case in the MAD31s Part 2. Yes, I will **** off from this thread, sorry. I was bored today waiting at a car appointment and do plan on staying away while this is going on. I just thought it had started as was curious on what was taken as I waited.

One thing I like about covers is that listening to them is like following a thread through music history. I've enjoyed many trips down the rabbit hole tracking down prior versions of favorite songs. The converse as well, sometimes -- seeing how modern artists interpret older works.

I'll throw my hat into the ring here. Unless a cover takes a wildly different arrangement or is from a different genre, I often find myself saying, "So what? You didn't write it!" That is, unless the performance is somehow noteworthy. I have a few similarly-arranged, similar-genre covers that made it into the Top 31 based on performance.

But that doesn't mean I don't like covers. Like 'em just fine. Just think that unless there's something that stands out about them in a good way then there's really no point in listening. As far as reasons for playing them, I dig when the artist just loves the song or seeks to take an underappreciated, unloved song and bring it to the fore. I understand and dig that, too.

But a perfunctory cover to appease a label or an audience? No thanks.

Yes, I will **** off from this thread, sorry.
Yeah, I wasn't in anyway saying that you couldn't express that or should leave the thread - I was just trying to understand it.
No, I am self policing because I know I can get negative, and I don't want to ruin the mood in a music thread. Sorry if it felt like it was directed to you. I was planning to stay away once it got going officially.

Rock's post above echoes my thoughts. I do really like some covers, say Hard to Handle. But they are never something I seek, and never seem to be my favorites when I rank songs from an artist. A funny example is The Black Keys, I love them and listen to most of the albums start to finish. When I was working on a playlist for them a few months, after I was looking on wiki I seemed to naturally avoid their covers on the early albums, even when I didn't know they were covers.

I joked about Deep Purple a couple weeks ago, but that is an example where I have very negative reaction - when I feel a cover song sticks out like a sore thumb on an album and feels like a $ decision more than a musical one. This is how I feel about Dino Jr's version of Just Like Heaven. Not terrible, I would just rather not have that on the album or a different song in it's place. It also feels like when I REALLY dislike a song, chances are it's a cover. There are several that are loved, and I expect to be very popular in here, hence my self enforced ban.

The ones I really like are either: not a song I knew beforehand, improve on something from the original (IMO, of course), or take it to a weird or interesting place (but that is also risky as well). I cited Nina Simone's version of To Love Somebody as one that qualifies for #2 there. That groove and her voice improved on the original quite a bit to my ears. A weird one I always liked was Tori Amos' version of Raining Blood. My preference is that covers are for soundtracks, b-sides, live shows, or albums like Nativity in Black where it's a tribute album.

Alright, have my list. Now I just need to send it in this weekend.

I actually thought of a songwriter that might rival the one you were referring to earlier in the thread (I think I know who that is) if we're going by universally loved and off-the-beaten-path covers.

My favorite covers tend to be ones that are different enough from the original but keep enough of what made the song good in the first place. Most of my list can fit that description in some way. There is one song whose cover is not all that different from the original and I will explain why I picked it when it comes up.

Unlike the prior countdowns, I might or might not post a new entry every day - we'll see how the timing shakes out in terms of everyone's ability to listen to the playlists. Of course, because of the duplication in our lists, these playlists don't take quite as long to get through.

@John Maddens Lunchbox
Surprisingly I read and understood that.
I just thought you may have had greater clarity on how you are going to approach listing them.
The balance of people wanting to take their time going through playlists and people getting bored is a fine one.

I dont have any answers as to what works best.

Unlike the prior countdowns, I might or might not post a new entry every day - we'll see how the timing shakes out in terms of everyone's ability to listen to the playlists. Of course, because of the duplication in our lists, these playlists don't take quite as long to get through.

@John Maddens Lunchbox
Surprisingly I read and understood that.
I just thought you may have had greater clarity on how you are going to approach listing them.
The balance of people wanting to take their time going through playlists and people getting bored is a fine one.

I dont have any answers as to what works best.

Perhaps you didn't understand it if you thought I'd have more clarity now, since the gist of it was that we'll play it by ear ("see how it shakes out in terms of everyone's ability to listen"). ;) You're right that it can be a tough balance. We'll see how it goes. I also might not have the time to post every day in any case.

Covers are the lifeblood of why music matters. They're why - whether you know it or not - you have your favorite artist(s).

As is usual for me, I blame Rolling Stone for this. Their take on music history has become so ingrained into music-listeners DNA, they don't even know it's there. A song isn't "real" unless it's written and performed by some tortured soul in his/her mom's basement.

Screw that. Give me a good performance and an interesting twist on something already known. Or, just perform a really good song. "Standards" are standards for a reason.

Covers are the lifeblood of why music matters. They're why - whether you know it or not - you have your favorite artist(s).

As is usual for me, I blame Rolling Stone for this. Their take on music history has become so ingrained into music-listeners DNA, they don't even know it's there. A song isn't "real" unless it's written and performed by some tortured soul in his/her mom's basement.

Screw that. Give me a good performance and an interesting twist on something already known. Or, just perform a really good song. "Standards" are standards for a reason.
I'm sure we'll all encounter familiar versions of songs that we didn't even realize were covers - that's also part of the fun of this countdown.

I'm sure we'll all encounter familiar versions of songs that we didn't even realize were covers - that's also part of the fun of this countdown.
I think I have a couple that, while both the cover artist and the covered artist are really famous, offer up something different.

I left off some of the most famous covers. Not to be a snob, but because I know they'll get plenty of play from others.

Users who are viewing this thread