What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (5 Viewers)

I'm just putting together the #3s and they are weird. More new-to-the-countdown songs than we've seen in ages. Let the wackiness ensue.

18 new songs tomorrow. Not new covers of songs we've seen already, but entirely new songs to the countdown.

Also there's an artist covering another artist who had previously shown up as covering them. I haven't kept track but wonder how many of those we have.

Guess what I heard on the car radio today while driving back from the doctor?!?!
:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
Whistling tunes, we hide in the dunes by the seaside
:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
Whistling tunes, we're kissing baboons in the jungle
It's a knockout
If looks could kill, they probably will
In games without frontiers, war without tears
If looks could kill, they probably will
In games without frontiers, war without tears

Games without frontiers, war without tears

ShE's So pOpULar
sHe'S sO PopULar
ShE's So pOpULar
SHe'S sO PopULar
ShE's So pOpULar
SHe's sO PopULar
ShE's So pOpULAr
.... .. .......
Why? Why?

Mr R thinks you're just screwing with me.

I'm just putting together the #3s and they are weird. More new-to-the-countdown songs than we've seen in ages. Let the wackiness ensue.

18 new songs tomorrow. Not new covers of songs we've seen already, but entirely new songs to the countdown.

Also there's an artist covering another artist who had previously shown up as covering them. I haven't kept track but wonder how many of those we have.
That's mine! :excited:

10 favorites that aren't repeats and I haven't commented on yet...

America the Beautiful - Ray Charles
So Long, Marianne - Courtney Barnett
Bad Time - The Jayhawks
I Wanna Holler (But the Towns too Small) - The Detroit Cobras
You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go - Miley Cyrus
Ohio/Machine Gun - The Isley Brothers
Ceremony - Galaxy 500
Chain of Fools - Clint Black and The Pointer Sisters
Hey Jude - Wilson Pickett
Tropical Loveland - The Chills

Twenty-Nine-Point Selections:
PART ONE:

Uruk-Hai:

Autumn Leaves - Eva Cassidy (Jo Stafford)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: first vote

titusbramble:

This Is How It Feels - Carter USM (Inspiral Carpets)
Original artist: five votes – first vote

Pip’s Invitation:

I'm a Man – Chicago Transit Authority (The Spencer Davis Group)
Song: four votes – Chicago Transit Authority (4)
Cover artist: three votes - I'm a Man (4)
Original artist: three votes - I'm a Man (4)

Dr. Octopus:

Mr. Tambourine Man - The Byrds (Robert Zimmerman)
Song: three votes – The Byrds (3)
Cover artist: five votes – Mr. Tambourine Man (3); My Back Pages (1); Turn, Turn, Turn (1)
Original artist: 56 votes – All Along the Watchtower (10); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Mr. Tambourine Man (3); Make You Feel My Love (2); I Shall Be Released (2); Highway 61 Revisited (1); You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (1); Masters of War (1); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); One More Cup of Coffee (1); My Back Pages (1); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); If Not for You (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

simey:

Angel from Montgomery - Bonnie Raitt (John Prine)
Song: four votes – Bonnie Raitt (3); Susan Tedeschi (1)
Cover artist: five votes – Angel from Montgomery (3); Not the Only One (1); Standing in the Doorway (1)
Original artist: five votes – Angel of Montgomery (4); Speed of the Sound of Loneliness (1)

Just Win Baby:

The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana (David Bowie)
Song: three votes – Nirvana (3)
Cover artist: eight votes – The Man Who Sold the World (3); Where Did You Sleep Last Night (3); D-7 (1); Love Buzz (1)
Original artist: six votes – The Man Who Sold the World (3); Ziggy Stardust (2); Queen Bitch (1)

Galileo:

Catfish John - Grateful Dead (Johnny Russell)
Cover artist: 12 votes – New Minglewood Blues (2); Catfish John (1); Dear Mr. Fantasy/Hey Jude (1); Me and My Uncle (1); Morning Dew (1); Jack-A-Roe (1); Turn on Your Love Light (1); Promised Land (1); Not Fade Away (1); Mama Tried (1); Big River (1); Monkey and the Engineer (1)

Don Quixote:

Jolene - The White Stripes (Dolly Parton)
Song: five votes – The White Stripes (4); Left Hand Solution (1)
Cover artist: six votes – Jolene (4); One More Cup of Coffee (1); I Just Don’t Know What to Do with Myself (1)
Original artist: six votes – Jolene (5); I Will Always Love You (1)

simsarge:

Pretty Lady - Canadian Cover Crew (Lighthouse) NOT ON PLAYLIST

Charlie Steiner:

Misirlou - Martin Denny (Traditional)
Original artist: N/A

JMLs secret identity:

Slipping Through My Fingers - Meryl Streep (Abba)
Original artist: 28 votes – Slipping Through My Fingers (1); Tropical Loveland (1); Arrival (1); Like an Angel Passing through My Room (1); Chiquitita (1); Thank You for the Music (1); Hey Hey Helen (1); I Have a Dream (1); The Winner Takes It All (1); The Day Before You Came (1); Hasta Manana (1); Thank Abba for the Music Medley (1); Summer Night City (1); Eagle (1); Bang en Boomerang (1); Dancing Queen (1); Super Trouper (1); Knowing Me, Knowing You (1); Mamma Mia (1); The Name of the Game (1); Ring Ring (1); Rock Me (1); Does Your Mother Know (1); Angel Eyes (1); Our Last Summer (1); When All Is Said and Done (1); Waterloo (1); Voulez Vous (1)

zamboni:

Theme for an Imaginary Western - Mountain (Jack Bruce)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil (first released by Pat Boone, first recorded by Tim Buckley)

Ilov80s:

Don't Look Back Them/Van Morrison (John Lee Hooker)
Cover artist: first vote for Morrison; Them: two votes – Don’t Look Back (1); It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue (1)
Original artist: two votes – Don’t Look Back (1); One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer (1)

Eephus:

How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - Al Green (Bee Gees)
Cover artist: three votes – Funny How Time Slips Away (2); How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (1)

The Dreaded Marco:

Sweet Jane - Cowboy Junkies (Velvet Underground)
Song: two votes – Cowboy Junkies (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Sweet Jane (2)
Original artist: two votes – Sweet Jane (2)

New Binky the Doormat:

All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan)
Song: nine votes – Jimi Hendrix (4); Bear McCreary (2); Dave Matthews Band (2); U2 (1); Neil Young & Booker T. and the MGs (1)
Cover artist: nine votes – All Along the Watchtower (4); Hey Joe (4); The Star Spangled Banner (1)
Original artist: 56 votes – All Along the Watchtower (10); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Mr. Tambourine Man (3); Make You Feel My Love (2); I Shall Be Released (2); Highway 61 Revisited (1); You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (1); Masters of War (1); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); One More Cup of Coffee (1); My Back Pages (1); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); If Not for You (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

Andy Dufresne:

My Body Is a Cage – Peter Gabriel (Arcade Fire)

Twenty-Nine-Point Selections:
PART TWO:

Hawks64:

A Pirate Looks at Forty - Jack Johnson, Dave Mattews, Tim Reynolds (Jimmy Buffett)
Cover artist: Matthews: 20 votes – All Along the Watchtower (2); A Pirate Looks at Forty (1); Sledgehammer (1); Rye Whiskey (1); Waste (1); Cortez the Killer (1); The Maker (1); Long Black Veil (1); Exodus (1); Down by the River (1); Take Me to Tomorrow (1); Time of the Season (1); Still Water (1); Melissa (1); Super Freak (1); Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) (1); Burning Down the House (1); Kashmir (1); In My Life (1)
Johnson: two votes – A Pirate Looks at Forty (1); I Shall Be Released (1)
Reynolds: three votes – A Pirate Looks at Forty (1); Down by the River (1); Kashmire (1)

rockaction:

Sloop John B – The Beach Boys (traditional/first known release by The Weavers)
Song: two votes – The Beach Boys (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Sloop John B (2)
Original artist: N/A

Scoresman:

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper (Robert Hazard)
Song: two votes – Cyndi Lauper (2)
Cover artist: four votes – Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (2); Change of Heart (1); Money Changes Everything (1)
Original artist: two votes – Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (2)

Raging weasel:

The Green Manalishi – Judas Priest (Fleetwood Mac)
Song: second vote – Judas Priest (2)
Cover artist: two votes – The Green Manalishi (2)
Original artist: six votes – Oh Well (2); The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown) (2); Black Magic Woman (1); Landslide (1)

scorchy:

Sympathy for the Devil - Jane’s Addiction (The Rolling Stones)
Original artist: 10 votes – (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (3); Dead Flowers (2); Sympathy for the Devil (1); Loving Cup (1); Wild Horses (1); Street Fighting Man (1); Honky Tonk Women (1)

Mrs. Rannous:

Hazy Shade of Winter - The Bangles (Simon and Garfunkel)
Song: six votes – The Bangles (6)
Cover artist: six votes – Hazy Shade of Winter (6)
Original artist: 16 votes – Hazy Shade of Winter (6); The Sound of Silence (5); Mrs. Robinson (3); America (2)

Mt. Man:

Hurt - Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails)
Song: four votes – Johnny Cash (4)
Cover artist: 10 votes – Hurt (4); I See a Darkness (2); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); In My Life (1); Girl from the North Country (1); Rowboat (1)
Original artist: four votes – Hurt (4)

Mister CIA:

Gentle on My Mind - Glen Campbell (John Hartford)
Cover artist: three votes – Gentle on My Mind (1); By the Time I Get to Phoenix (1); Times Like These (1)

Val Rannous:

The Sound of Silence - Disturbed (Simon and Garfunkel)
Song: five votes – Disturbed (5)
Cover artist: five votes – The Sound of Silence (5)
Original artist: 16 votes – Hazy Shade of Winter (6); The Sound of Silence (5); Mrs. Robinson (3); America (2)

landrys hat:

Heart It Races - Dr. Dog (Architecture In Helsinki)

shuke:

Dear Mr. Fantasy/Hey Jude - Grateful Dead (Traffic/The Beatles)
Song: Fantasy: two votes – Grateful Dead (1); Southern Culture on the Skids (1)
Jude: two votes – Grateful Dead (1); Wilson Pickett (1)
Cover artist: 12 votes – New Minglewood Blues (2); Catfish John (1); Dear Mr. Fantasy/Hey Jude (1); Me and My Uncle (1); Morning Dew (1); Jack-A-Roe (1); Turn on Your Love Light (1); Promised Land (1); Not Fade Away (1); Mama Tried (1); Big River (1); Monkey and the Engineer (1)
Original artist: Traffic: three votes - Dear Mr. Fantasy (2); The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys (1)
Beatles: 34 votes – We Can Work It Out (4); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (3); In My Life (3); Hey Jude (2); Here Comes the Sun (2); Yesterday (2); Come Together (2); Got to Get You into My Life (2); And I Love Her (1); Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey (1); A Day in the Life (1); Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (1); She Came in through the Bathroom Window (1); I Am the Walrus (1); Eleanor Rigby (1); Helter Skelter (1); Drive My Car (1); Dear Prudence (1); Across the Universe (1); She Said She Said (1); I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (1); Let It Be (1)

Doug B:

Dreams I'll Never See - Molly Hatchet (The Allman Brothers Band)
Original artist: two votes – Dreams I’ll Never See (1); Melissa (1)

DrIanMalcolm:

Got to Get You Into My Life - Earth Wind & Fire (The Beatles)
Song: two votes – Earth Wind & Fire (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Got to Get You into My Life (2)
Original artist: 34 votes – We Can Work It Out (4); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (3); In My Life (3); Hey Jude (2); Here Comes the Sun (2); Yesterday (2); Come Together (2); Got to Get You into My Life (2); And I Love Her (1); Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey (1); A Day in the Life (1); Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (1); She Came in through the Bathroom Window (1); I Am the Walrus (1); Eleanor Rigby (1); Helter Skelter (1); Drive My Car (1); Dear Prudence (1); Across the Universe (1); She Said She Said (1); I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (1); Let It Be (1)

Chaos34:

Stop Your Sobbing - The Pretenders (The Kinks)
Cover artist: two votes – Stop Your Sobbing (1); Forever Young (1)
Original artist: 12 votes – You Really Got Me (7); Stop Your Sobbing (1); David Watts (1); Act Nice and Gentle (1); Apeman (1)

higgins:

Cause We've Ended As Lovers - Jeff Beck (Stevie Wonder)
Song: two votes – Jeff Beck (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers (2)
Original artist: 10 votes – Higher Ground (5); Cause We’ve Ended as Lovers (2); Boogie on Reggae Woman (1); Superstition (1); Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You) (1)

Oliver Humanzee:

Highway 61 Revisited - PJ Harvey (Bob Dylan)

krista4:

My Little Red Book – Love (Manfred Mann)
Song: two votes – Love (2)
Cover artist: two votes – My Little Red Book (2)
Original artist: three votes – My Little Red Book (2); Fox on the Run (1)

The 28 pointers

known and liked covers

Man who sold the world
Gallows Pole - didn't know it was a cover
Stairway to Heaven

Liked covers of known songs

Ohio/Machine Gun
Back in the high life Again
Sledgehammer
Chain of Fools- as a youngster thought it was "Jane, Jane,Jane Jane's a fool"
America the Beautiful
Hey Jude- may be better than the original
Into the Mystic
Everybody's Talkin

New to me likes

You're gonna make me Lonesome...
Streets of Baltimore
Bad Time
Ceremony
I wanna Holler....
So long, Marianne
Milk cow Blues

zamboni:

Theme for an Imaginary Western - Mountain (Jack Bruce)
I've used this one in previous countdowns. A rare lead vocal performance by bass player Felix Pappalardi, who had previously produced Cream and brought Jack Bruce's solo original (also produced by Felix) to Mountain. The vocals and bass playing are sensational, but it's Leslie West's soaring solos at the end that ultimately catapult the tune. A big part of what makes this song so mournful is Felix's ultimate demise 13 years later, when he was shot and killed by his jealous wife.

ETA: Felix also produced The Youngbloods' first album, including the great "Get Together".

Mister CIA:

:wub:
I'm happy to see this appear. It's my favorite song by Glen. I took it in the US MAD, so I took a different tune in this one. I love the intro with the guitar and banjo, which sets the pace for the whole song. I love Glen's vocals, the lyrics, all of it. Leon Russell helped arrange and conduct the song, and he played piano on the album. Leon was part of the Wrecking Crew way back in the day with Glen, and there is also three other past WC guys on this album, which are Joe Osborn, Jim Gordon, and James Burton. That's Doug Dillard picking the banjo. John Hartford, who wrote this song and did the original, can pick a banjo, too.

29 Points - Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil (Pat Boone/Tim Buckley)
Original

The original is hard to attribute. Boone did the first recorded version, but Buckley did a version on the Monkees TV show that predates Boones version. By the time Buckley recorded it, the lyrics were slightly different. Also the recorded version by Buckley was not as raw. Most effective covers were based on the purer Monkees TV version. Boones version is a turd.

Cover

There have been many versions since, but most are based on this excellent cover done by This Mortal Coil. Featuring the amazing and unique voice of Elizabeth Fraser, this haunting version just astounds me. Fraser and her Cocteau Twins collaborator Robin Guthrie got together with producer, label exec Ivo Watts-Russell to form This Mortal Coil. This version of the song was in the UK indie charts for 2 years. Only Bauhaus’s Bela Legosis Dead, New Orders Blue Monday and Joy Divisions Love Will Tear Us Apart lasted longer. This cover was responsible for a reappraisal of the work of Tim Buckley and gave Jeff Buckley, his son a foot into the music industry.

Originals 9 - Covers 20. Despite Buckleys excellent original Monkees TV version, the Elizabeth Fraser vocal is one of my fave songs of all time. Just brilliant

Next Up, we have seen this a few times of late. Whats one more?

29 Points - Slipping Through My Fingers - Meryl Streep (Abba)
Original

This was written with the daughter of Bjorn and Agnetha in mind, Linda Ulvaeus. She was growing up faster than her parents would like and like most parents, time flies too quickly. The song became a key part of the musical Mamma Mia and subsequently the movie. As a father, especially of two daughters Listening to the lyrics is an emotional experience and wonderfully told from the parents perspective.

Cover

As the whore mother in the Mamma Mia movie, Meryl Streep had to put her skills to full use in many ways. Including her singing voice. Her emotional version of the song is beautiful and while her voice has flaws, the delivery is spot on. Never fails to make an impact and its one of the first songs i thought of for this countdown. Apparently Elvis Costello as his Declan McManus persona or vice versa, does a nice version as well.

Abba - 18 - Cover 11.
Streeps emotional delivery wins the day here. Covers are catching up.

Next Up, a classic Abba song done in the unique style of the band covering it. This is one of the most revered music acts of all time. They only have three studio albums and all reached UK#2 with many awards. They barely have enough songs to fill a zegras 31 song rundown.

3. Miserlou - Martin Denny (Traditional)

1. Any fans of the **** Dale version featured in Pulp Fiction could have selected it, as its origin traces back to the Arab, Greek and Jewish cultures.

2. This version is an example of a musical style I never knew before - Exotica. It evokes in my mind a traveling caravan passing an oasis in the desert despite being made completely in a studio with artificial sounds in place of the real things.

3. This version once again reinforces my belief that Mad Men may be the most perfectly crafted TV show of all time. The song appears at what turns out to be a pivotal moment in Don Draper's story arc, as it coincides with the appearance of the 'jetsetters' whose lives on the surface are very appealing to him, and he abandons his job and family to join them, until he realizes via a cracked plastic cup that their life is not all it seems. This song, 'exotic' in sound only that was completely fabricated in the recording studio, is a perfect analog to this sub-plot, yet we only know this if we're familiar with these details. I have focused on many such details throughout the show's run and always find some deeper layer(s) that makes it a perfect fit for its place in the show.

Mister CIA:

:wub:
I'm happy to see this appear. It's my favorite song by Glen. I took it in the US MAD, so I took a different tune in this one. I love the intro with the guitar and banjo, which sets the pace for the whole song. I love Glen's vocals, the lyrics, all of it. Leon Russell helped arrange and conduct the song, and he played piano on the album. Leon was part of the Wrecking Crew way back in the day with Glen, and there is also three other past WC guys on this album, which are Joe Osborn, Jim Gordon, and James Burton. That's Doug Dillard picking the banjo. John Hartford, who wrote this song and did the original, can pick a banjo, too.
Oh man, could he (John Hartford) play the banjo. Probably the GOAT, especially if you factor in the songwriting. Exhibit A

My favorite performance of Gentle on my Mind

29 Points - Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil (Pat Boone/Tim Buckley)
Original

The original is hard to attribute. Boone did the first recorded version, but Buckley did a version on the Monkees TV show that predates Boones version. By the time Buckley recorded it, the lyrics were slightly different. Also the recorded version by Buckley was not as raw. Most effective covers were based on the purer Monkees TV version. Boones version is a turd.

Cover

There have been many versions since, but most are based on this excellent cover done by This Mortal Coil. Featuring the amazing and unique voice of Elizabeth Fraser, this haunting version just astounds me. Fraser and her Cocteau Twins collaborator Robin Guthrie got together with producer, label exec Ivo Watts-Russell to form This Mortal Coil. This version of the song was in the UK indie charts for 2 years. Only Bauhaus’s Bela Legosis Dead, New Orders Blue Monday and Joy Divisions Love Will Tear Us Apart lasted longer. This cover was responsible for a reappraisal of the work of Tim Buckley and gave Jeff Buckley, his son a foot into the music industry.

Originals 9 - Covers 20. Despite Buckleys excellent original Monkees TV version, the Elizabeth Fraser vocal is one of my fave songs of all time. Just brilliant

Next Up, we have seen this a few times of late. Whats one more?
That was lovely. Thank you.

And Boone's version of anything is a turd. He is one of the world's most boring singers.

Original

This was written with the daughter of Bjorn and Agnetha in mind, Linda Ulvaeus. She was growing up faster than her parents would like and like most parents, time flies too quickly. The song became a key part of the musical Mamma Mia and subsequently the movie. As a father, especially of two daughters Listening to the lyrics is an emotional experience and wonderfully told from the parents perspective.
Wow. That's depressing.

Original

Wow. That's depressing.
Au Contraire.
We want our kids to be frozen in time at a certain age while they are still sweet and innocent, but we also want to see them grow up to be awesome adults. This song captures everything wonderful about this feeling

Sympathy for the Devil - Jane’s Addiction (The Rolling Stones)

Confession time again: I didn't know this was a cover until maybe 6 months after I first heard it. I was a huge Jane's evangelist soon after the release of Nothing's Shocking, but aside from my best friend, none of the jocks, hippies, or theater kids at my high school were buying in. My friends' sister was away at school and her boyfriend sent us a copy of their first release (called the XXX record). It was love at first listen, and Sympathy was my favorite track of the bunch. Quite a bit later, I scored a real copy of the CD and saw Jagger/Richards in the liner notes. Hmmm.... I asked my friend if he knew that the Jane's version was a cover and he was just as dumbfounded as me.

When I was making this list, I asked my wife (who still has her original store-bought cassette of XXX) if she had heard the Stones version before Jane's. Her response made me feel a little better: "Definitely not. The only Rolling Stones songs that I can remember hearing before that time [9th grade] were Start Me Up and Satisfaction."

Vindicated!!!

Confession time again: I didn't know this was a cover until maybe 6 months after I first heard it.

Yeah, it took the liner notes for me also. I was not a classic rock guy, and the radio I'd grown up listening to didn't play much in the way of the Rolling Stones.

eta* And I was certainly unaware about the Velvet Underground cover, which was something I wouldn't hear until a decade later.

Morrison put so much pathos into Don’t Look Back which is especially impressive given he was 20 years old and the song is about letting go of our youth, letting go of what we had and being content with what’s left.

If I could call back
All those days of yesteryear
I would never grow old
And I'd never be poor
But darlin', those days are gone

It means you and your wife were shelter children. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

I think that unless I'm missing a joke here the maybe real takeaway from this is that in middle-class suburbs around '88-'89 the Stones did not have a large footprint for people our age. They were known, for sure, but they were actually sort of bringing up the rear in the classic rock/local world I grew up in. The Who, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and other acts were the ones I remember my older peers liking. Steel Wheels put them back into consciousness and the conversation, and I remember the shirts popping up, but for me that served as more of a cautionary tale of why you don't play rock music when yr old than any great comeback.

Morrison put so much pathos into Don’t Look Back which is especially impressive given he was 20 years old and the song is about letting go of our youth, letting go of what we had and being content with what’s left.

If I could call back
All those days of yesteryear
I would never grow old
And I'd never be poor
But darlin', those days are gone

I thought you meant Jim and I had to scroll upthread to figure out what you were talking about. It's never just Morrison, bro—it's Van, man, and you will never get confusion among oldsters again.

Original

Wow. That's depressing.
Au Contraire.
We want our kids to be frozen in time at a certain age while they are still sweet and innocent, but we also want to see them grow up to be awesome adults. This song captures everything wonderful about this feeling
I didn't say it wasn't accurate.

A few thoughts on a few songs that aren't repeats this round...

- Some of the Bee Gees songs had a soul and R&B influence to them, and Rev. Al Green really taps into that in his version of "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart."
- Eva Cassidy sure does a lovely version of "Autumn Leaves."
- "Sympathy" by Janes Addiction reminds me of college and Hilton Head, SC. I dig the cover.
- Them/Van's cover of "Don't Look Back" is great. When you hear John Lee Hooker's original, it sounds like a song that would fit Van Morrison's style, and it does perfectly.
- When I think of the Grateful Dead and songs they covered live, "Dear Mr. Fantasy" is always a top song that comes to mind.
- Speaking of the Dead, their version of "Catfish John" has a nice bounciness to it. It's kinda got a reggae groove. I like Johnny Russell's original, too, which is more countrified.
- "Misirlou" is a nice tranquil cover by Martin Denny.
- "This Is How it Feels" by Carter USM starts off sweet and contained, and then it takes off like a 🚀 🥁 love it.
- Peter Gabriel does his own theatrical dark version of "My Body is My Cage." It's right up his alley.
- The guitar alone makes Mountain's cover of "Theme for An Imaginary Western" worth hearing.
- Meryl sounds pretty good on ABBA's "Slipping Through My Fingers." I bet my dad has the soundtrack.
- The "Song to the Siren" cover by This Mortal Coil brings a power to the song.
- Mother, mother ocean.. :pirate:
- The Canadian Crew's cover of "Pretty Lady" is very well done. Everyone does a great job at that their parts in the song. Watching the video reminds me of Covid, and artists doing music on youtube.
- I like the "Heart it Races" cover by Dr. Dog better than the original.
- Molly Hatchett's lead singer has a distinct voice. I remember hearing their cover of "Dreams I'll Never See" on the radio more than the ABB's original. It's different than the ABB, and I like both versions.
- "Stop Your Sobbing" is a really good cover by The Pretenders on a really good album.
- PJ Harvey's cover of "Highway 61 Revisited - Demo" has a fuzzy, distorted, distant cool sound about it. OH likes his fuzz. He's the fuzz cuz.

It means you and your wife were shelter children. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

I think that unless I'm missing a joke here the maybe real takeaway from this is that in middle-class suburbs around '88-'89 the Stones did not have a large footprint for people our age. They were known, for sure, but they were actually sort of bringing up the rear in the classic rock/local world I grew up in. The Who, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and other acts were the ones I remember my older peers liking. Steel Wheels put them back into consciousness and the conversation, and I remember the shirts popping up, but for me that served as more of a cautionary tale of why you don't play rock music when yr old than any great comeback.
I was kinda kidding. k4 has joked in the past about being a sheltered child when talking about not being exposed to some popular music like during the 70s. That's why I referred to scorchy and his wife as "shelter children." I am surprised at the lack of Rolling Stones love from your age group in the 80s. Their Tattoo You album in 1981 was popular, and their 60s and 70s material was played often on the radio where I grew up, but I know that different places had different stations that played different music.

Twenty-eight pointers

This is what I'm here for:
Pip’s Invitation: Ohio/Machine Gun – The Isley Brothers (CSNY/Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsys)
The Dreaded Marco: Ceremony - Galaxie 500 (New Order)
Mister CIA: So Long, Marianne - Courtney Barnett (Leonard Cohen)

Other favorites:
Uruk-Hai: Blue Skies - Willie Nelson (Ben Selvin)
Dr. Octopus: You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go - Miley Cyrus (Robert Zimmerman)
simsarge: Stairway to Heaven - Heart (Led Zeppelin)
Charlie Steiner: City of New Orleans - The Seldom Scene (Steve Goodman)
JMLs secret identity: Tropical Loveland - The Chills (Abba)
zamboni: I'm a Man - Chicago (The Spencer Davis Group)
Eephus: Bad Time - The Jayhawks (Grand Funk Railroad)
rockaction: I Wanna Holler (But the Town’s Too Small) – Detroit Cobras (Gary “U.S.” Bonds)
landrys hat: Milk Cow Blues - The Kinks (Sleepy John Estes)
Doug B: America The Beautiful - Ray Charles (Traditional)
DrIanMalcolm: Hey Jude - Wilson Pickett (The Beatles)

I already commented on this, right? Says first vote for this song. I love it and didn't know it was a cover.
Scoresman: Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez (The Knife)

Twenty-nine pointers

This is why I'm here:
Ilov80s: Don't Look Back Them/Van Morrison (John Lee Hooker)
Andy Dufresne: My Body Is a Cage – Peter Gabriel (Arcade Fire)

Obvious favorite:
Galileo: Catfish John - Grateful Dead (Johnny Russell)

Love so much:
zamboni: Theme for an Imaginary Western - Mountain (Jack Bruce)

Other favorite:
Mister CIA: Gentle on My Mind - Glen Campbell (John Hartford) although as documented in other threads, this has almost been ruined by overexposure in Cincinnati commercials

Never heard of original or cover and enjoyed both, also spell out the whole band name, coward:
titusbramble: This Is How It Feels - Carter USM (Inspiral Carpets)

Wait, what this is a cover???
rockaction: Sloop John B – The Beach Boys (traditional/first known release by The Weavers)
landrys hat: Heart It Races - Dr. Dog (Architecture In Helsinki)

Their Tattoo You album in 1981 was popular, and their 60s and 70s material was played often on the radio where I grew up, but I know that different places had different stations that played different music.

Oh, I figured you were kidding in a way, but I didn't know the reference. I thought you might be making an in-joke because "shelter children" seemed like it fit an in-joke I just didn't get.

As for the quoted, I totally believe that aspect of things. But then imagine I was eight in 1981 and listened to pure pop radio, so we didn't get songs like "Little T&A." We did get "Waiting On A Friend," though. We got that on the radio in droves. So really what you had is that scorchy and I, depending on what you listened to on the public airwaves, just came of adolescence in a Rolling Stones blind spot or gap of new material.

I think a lot of musical knowledge discrepancies have to do with age, class, and race, and that there's really no accounting for anybody's experience. Sometimes it just was.

Sorry I've fallen behind on the thread and playlists. I've been caretaking for my 92 year old father-in-law which has really cut into my listening and dog walking time.

Papa has had good days and bad days since getting out of the hospital last week but suffers from occasional sundowning symptoms and spells of paranoia. Mrs. Eephus and I have been helping her mom out in shifts with me spending nights over at their house. A lot of it consists of watching basketball and talking about whatever's on his mind. He seems to be in a good space when he went to bed so I'm hoping for a quiet night.

Sorry I've fallen behind on the thread and playlists. I've been caretaking for my 92 year old father-in-law which has really cut into my listening and dog walking time.

Papa has had good days and bad days since getting out of the hospital last week but suffers from occasional sundowning symptoms and spells of paranoia. Mrs. Eephus and I have been helping her mom out in shifts with me spending nights over at their house. A lot of it consists of watching basketball and talking about whatever's on his mind. He seems to be in a good space when he went to bed so I'm hoping for a quiet night.

Eephus, sending all the good vibes I can your way. Hoping for the best.

Re-reading. What did he go to the hospital for? If you had already talked about it or don't want to disclose, my apologies. I hope you and Mrs. Eephus are doing okay. Peace be to both of you and the rest of your family.

It's always a danger picking a cover this high up the ranking when I'm not even sure people will have heard the original, but hey, what the hell it's my list
I somehow have two Inspiral Carpets CD-singles - This Is How It Feels and Commercial Rain. The former was a bigger hit but the latter is straight fire. Carter USM's cover was surprisingly good. I spent a couple regrettable years sporting that Carter/PWEI grebo look. Were you a fellow traveler, titus?

It's always a danger picking a cover this high up the ranking when I'm not even sure people will have heard the original, but hey, what the hell it's my list
I somehow have two Inspiral Carpets CD-singles - This Is How It Feels and Commercial Rain. The former was a bigger hit but the latter is straight fire. Carter USM's cover was surprisingly good. I spent a couple regrettable years sporting that Carter/PWEI grebo look. Were you a fellow traveler, titus?

I was about ten at the time

Users who are viewing this thread