What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (5 Viewers)

zamboni:

I'm a Man - Chicago (The Spencer Davis Group)
Song: three votes – Chicago (2)
Cover artist: three votes - I'm a Man (3)
Original artist: three votes - I'm a Man (3)
I really wanted to use Leonid’s spot-on cover of Chicago’s cover of Spencer Davis, but unfortunately that version is not on Spotify.

Damn do they nail it though.
The guy in the denim jacket looks like Bon Scott. The female singer is absolutely stunning.

28 Points - Tropical Loveland - The Chills (Abba)
Original

Australia was the first country to go gaga over Abba after Sweden. It was like Beatlemania. I was very young when it was happening, but vividly remember the madness on TV. Songs that werent hits anywhere else were massive there. The filmclip for this song was filmed in Australia. After Fernando hit number one for over 4 months, the romance with the band was over. People were heartily sick and tired of them.

Cover

When I decided on Abba, I thought I had an ace up my sleeve. New Zealand record label Flying Nun did a tribute album to Abba (Abbasolutely) featuring their labels artists singing Abba songs. Only problem was I had sold the CD. Youtube only had 10 of the 14 tracks. All are pretty average or worse but I remembered liking the cover of Tropical Loveland. Couldnt find the cover, but I found another NZ band doing it, The Chills. It was even better than the one I couldnt find. It has less than 200 views on youtube…i think. Its an absolute cracker.

Abba - 18 - Cover 10.
Such a sweet cover that has so little exposure. Its one if the best Abba covers ive heard and wins this round

Next Up, we Hollywood the list up with a heartfelt song and a heartfelt cover

28 Points - Hooked on a Feeling - Blue Swede (B.J. Thomas)
Original

Songwriter Mark James has had at least 3 songs on this thread despite not being name checked to my recollection. I have two of them on my list. Always on My Mind is one of his, as is Suspicious Minds and this one. Hooked on a Feeling. B.J. Thomas….am i imagining it or was he one of the most anonymous hitmakers of all time? Over a dozen top 40 hits in the US including number one with Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head. When he died he didnt even get a mention in the RIP thread…i think. His hits in the US were farmed out to other artists internationally. His Raindrops made #39 in the UK, while Sasha Distel, a French singer took it to #10 there. In Australia little Johnny Farnham took it to #1.

Cover

We have the original and many standard covers of it and then we have the Ooga Chaka version. Jonathan King, an inventive artist, who also translated Umberto Tozzis Gloria into english which eventually found its way to Laura Branigan. He used Johnny Prestons Running Bear chant from 1959 and adapted it to his cover of Hooked on a Feeling. It charted ok in the UK, but Swedish band Blåblus then recorded and amped up the Ooga Chaka chant. The record company sensing a massive hit, asked the band to change their name from Blåblus to Blue Swede. Reservoir Dogs and Guardians of the Galaxy introduced this version to two further generations of fans.

Originals 9 - Covers 19. The cover, through evolution clearly wins here. The original is a standard that is a fine song in its own right, but the ooga chakas are just stunning

Next Up, the last song on my list we havent seen before. Its amazing what a unique and talented vocalist can do to a song

simsarge:

Stairway to Heaven - Heart (Led Zeppelin)
A truly remarkable performance. The song on Spotify alone doesn’t do it justice though without the video of it being performed. Seeing Jason Bonham connect with Plant/Page/JPJ, along with seeing on their faces how deeply moved they are, chokes me up.

simsarge:

A truly remarkable performance. The song on Spotify alone doesn’t do it justice though without the video of it being performed. Seeing Jason Bonham connect with Plant/Page/JPJ, along with seeing on their faces how deeply moved they are, chokes me up.

That band was full of ringers - people who always play these kinds of tributes. I think Blue Lou Marini is in there, and I've seen most of those guys in other places.

I'm projecting here, but Plant seems less enthused than Page & Jones do.

simsarge:

That band was full of ringers - people who always play these kinds of tributes. I think Blue Lou Marini is in there, and I've seen most of those guys in other places.

Maybe a personality thing because Plant had tears well up in his eyes the whole time and brushed away tears at the end.

simsarge:

Maybe a personality thing because Plant had tears well up in his eyes the whole time and brushed away tears at the end.
Also you see Taylor Hawkins at the end. 😢

simsarge:

Yeah, I'm probably wrong on that. As I said, it's most likely me projecting since Plant has done the most to distance himself from Zep.

Uruk-Hai:

Blue Skies - Willie Nelson (Ben Selvin)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: three votes – Blue Skies (1); Just Breathe (1); Whiskey River (1)
Original artist: first vote
Convincing me that Willie Nelson isn't the best cover artist in recorded music history would take some doing. The sheer volume and quality of those songs is amazing.

This one was a standard long before Willie covered it, but I will always think of it as a Willie Nelson Song.
Stardust is a great album. I love hearing Willie do the standards. The album reminds me of my mom playing it in the house back in the late 70s. Trigger has a nice solo on "Blue Skies."

Couple of repicks of songs I chose earlier in the playlist that I wasn't expecting, at least not this high
I think I was one of those with The Pogues’ Dirty Old Town. When I was pulling together, I was definitely leaning into what I’m currently listening or re-listening to. Although The Pogues were constants in my rotation, that became a bit heavier after Shane MacGowan’s death; so, this one became a bit more top of mind as I was pulling together.

Yeah, I'm probably wrong on that. As I said, it's most likely me projecting since Plant has done the most to distance himself from Zep.
Plant was adamant that Led Zeppelin was over when his best friend and band mate John Bonham died.

I read an interview with him a couple years ago. I just looked it up, and I'll summarize some of it. He talks about them meeting when he was 16. Plant said about Bonham, “He was big, he had this way about him and he said ‘look you’re going somewhere really special, but you will never get there without me’ and he was right. John and I walked a million miles together.” He said he was intimidated by Page and John Paul Jones when he and Bonham joined Led Zeppelin. He said he and Bonham were from Black Country, and Page and JPJ were more accomplished, but when they started playing together “it was like all the doors and windows in the house of cards were open, we just blew right through the walls of the cellar and right through the world.” He went on and talked about when his 5 year old son died from a stomach virus, and Bonham and his wife helped him and his wife grieve. Then he talked about when Bonham died of alcohol poisoning. “I drove down with him on the day of the rehearsal and I drove back without him. He was an incredible character and so encouraging for me despite the fact he was always taking the mickey out of me and I loved him desperately. We really were kids and we grew up not having a clue about anything at all, just the two of us, loud, confident and mostly wrong and it was really good. We covered most of the squares on the board as time went by, I do miss him.”

Anyway, Plant was fighting back those tears while Heart was playing Stairway to Heaven, which included John Bonham's son on the drums. I bet his thoughts were filled with memories of his late BFF.

4. City of New Orleans - The Seldom Scene (Steve Goodman)

I feel like one of my last four has been selected before
City of New Orleans - The Seldom Scene (Arlo Guthrie) -- I think we got this in their MAD countdown.
You are correct, sir.

Apologies to @krista4 for not catching my mistake earlier, regarding the original artist. Goodman wrote the song, and his version was released a year before Guthrie's version. 99.99% of the Seldom Scene's catalog is covers, and while it's not my favorite, it is a more commonly known song than most of their others, and many of you should already know Guthrie's version for comparison.

Don Quixote:

Killing Me Softly - The Fugees (Lori Lieberman)

If I weren't avoiding duplicates from earlier M-AD countdowns, this would have been in my top five. :wub:

The Dreaded Marco:

Don't You Evah - Spoon

rockaction:

Louie Louie – The Kingsmen

Scoresman:

Alone - Heart (i-Ten)

Mt. Man:

Shambala - Three Dog Night (B.W. Stevenson)

Doug B:

What a Fool Believes - The Doobie Brothers (Kenny Loggins)

higgins:

Not the Only One - Bonnie Raitt (Paul Brady)

I didn't know any of the six above were covers. :bag:

Thoughts on new-to-me #5s:

Phil Collins does an excellent, heartfelt cover of "Burn Down the Mission."
The Melbourne Ska Orchestra cover of "Get Smart" was a ton of fun.
The Band can do no wrong, and "Atlantic City" was a great choice for them.
I think Dave Matthews Band's "Rye Whiskey" was my favorite cover from them so far.
Waylon Jennings sounds fantastic on "Suspicious Minds." (I'm Thumpering the Jessi Colter part.)

And I'm never going to skip Charles Bradley's "Changes" no matter how many times it comes up.

Last edited:
Uruk-Hai:

Blue Skies - Willie Nelson (Ben Selvin)

@Uruk-Hai , surprise!

Ilov80s:

I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston (Dolly Parton)

I know mostly you're old dudes, but this is the one I was surprised we hadn't previously seen. Where are my Rannouses, who love the big production numbers and stunning vocals?
I don't care much for Whitney Houston. Listening to her oversing her way through stuff is torturous for me. I'd much rather hear Miss Dolly.

There’s a big “(2001)” that’s missing there in that song description. Otherwise it’s Richard Strauss, the 20th century German composer.

Bum bum banna!
Bum bum bum bum bum bum bum
Bum bum banna!

Just got back from seeing The Zombies. They put on a damn good show for a bunch of old dudes. Summertime (cover) was played.

No kidding! That’s fantastic! Did they play anything else you recognized?

I heard that Colin Blunstone went through serious vocal classes and training to be able to sound as good as he does at his age.

Just got back from seeing The Zombies. They put on a damn good show for a bunch of old dudes. Summertime (cover) was played.

No kidding! That’s fantastic! Did they play anything else you recognized?

I heard that Colin Blunstone went through serious vocal classes and training to be able to sound as good as he does at his age.
Oh yeah he sounded great. They played Time of the Season, Care of Cell 44, Rose For Emily and This Will Be Our Year from Odessey and Oracle. She's Not There, Tell Her No and You Really Got a Hold On Me/Bring It On Home To Me.

New-to-me covers from #4 that I very much enjoyed:

You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go - Miley Cyrus (Robert Zimmerman) -- As with many Dylan tunes, this one works well as a country song.
Tropical Loveland - The Chills (Abba) -- Quite pleasant.
Bad Time - The Jayhawks (Grand Funk Railroad) -- Accentuates the excellent melody.
Ceremony - Galaxie 500 (New Order) -- I wasn't sure what to make of this at first, but it won me over by the end.
Sledgehammer - Dave Matthews Band (Peter Gabriel) -- Remember how we talked about the vocal similarities between these two? Yeah, you can hear it here.
I Wanna Holler (But the Town’s Too Small) – Detroit Cobras (Gary “U.S.” Bonds) -- Great bundle of energy here.
Planet Caravan – Pantera (Black Sabbath) -- It was shocking enough to learn that Sabbath had a song like this in them, much less Pantera.
Chain of Fools - Clint Black and The Pointer Sisters (Aretha Franklin) -- Good times.
So Long, Marianne - Courtney Barnett (Leonard Cohen) -- Does ol' Lenny justice.
Milk Cow Blues - The Kinks (Sleepy John Estes) -- Pretty wild by British white-boy blues standards.
Into the Mystic - Michael McDonald (Van Morrison) -- McDonald is one of the few people that can stand with Van vocally on this.

And that'll be it as far as me being caught up, as I am leaving soon on a business trip. I'll get to the last three playlists when I can, but I have no idea how prompt I will be.

I just looked to see if The Zombies were coming to my town or state, and I didn't see anything. I wonder if they already came and went. I did see that they are playing on a Flower Power Cruise in March 22-29, 2025 leaving out of Florida. 😍🎵 ☮️ 🌸 🛳️

I just looked to see if The Zombies were coming to my town or state, and I didn't see anything. I wonder if they already came and went. I did see that they are playing on a Flower Power Cruise in March 22-29, 2025 leaving out of Florida. 😍🎵 ☮️ 🌸 🛳️
Link? Are they playing in VA anywhere? I'd love to see them.

Link? Are they playing in VA anywhere? I'd love to see them.
link to tour dates link to 2025 Flower Power Cruise. I don't see Virginia, but they may have already played there.

There’s a big “(2001)” that’s missing there in that song description. Otherwise it’s Richard Strauss, the 20th century German composer.

Bum bum banna!
Bum bum bum bum bum bum bum
Bum bum banna!

It's commonly referred to as 2001 in Phish setlists and community, but it's actually a cover of Deodato's reimagining of 2001.

Sorry I've been gone so long folks, missed most of this thread, even though this has been a fun exercise.

I've always liked Wilson Pickett's cover of Hey Jude, which changes the phrasing just enough to make it something very different.

And if you didn't listen to Aretha's Nessun Dorma, please do. You'll see why I had a hard time not making my list mostly just Aretha covers.

Sorry I've been gone so long folks, missed most of this thread, even though this has been a fun exercise.

I've always liked Wilson Pickett's cover of Hey Jude, which changes the phrasing just enough to make it something very different.

And if you didn't listen to Aretha's Nessun Dorma, please do. You'll see why I had a hard time not making my list mostly just Aretha covers.
Pickett was basically the vocal equivalent of a jackhammer, but he showed a lot of finesse (relatively speaking) on his cover of "Hey Jude" and still manages to get in one of the all-time screams ever.

Agreed on Franklin's "Nessun Dorma" - it's stunning.

#4 Where Did You Sleep Last Night? - Nirvana (Traditional)
Lead Belly - Spotify ; Youtube
Mark Lanegan -Spotify ;Youtube

In their Unplugged show, Nirvana credit Lead Belly for the inspiration to perform this song, and it's his interpretation of it that this version echoes the most. So the choice to include that as an "original" was pretty easy. Above is also Mark Lanegan's cover from 1990, where Cobain played guitar. The first version secondhandsongs lists is by "Dock" Walsh in 1926, though this song goes back at least fifty years before that.

This song was recorded in 1993, and was scheduled to be featured as a B-side to "Pennyroyal Tea" in 1994. Only... well, Cobain died in April of that year. That led to it being released as part of their Unplugged album in 1994. For the record, if I'd allowed myself more than one song per artist, Nirvana's version of "The Man Who Sold the World" probably would've been in the teens on my list. But it's this performance that (obviously) sticks with me a lot more. This was the last song the band did that night, though the story goes that the producer suggesting doing an encore. Cobain's response was "I don't think we can top that last song". I'd certainly have to agree.

At #3, an artist I could've included dozens of covers from. Like for this selection, leaving other covers out was... well, shall we say "painful"?

Guess what I heard on the car radio today while driving back from the doctor?!?!
:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
Whistling tunes, we hide in the dunes by the seaside
Whistling tunes, we're kissing baboons in the jungle
It's a knockout
If looks could kill, they probably will
In games without frontiers, war without tears

Games without frontiers, war without tears

ShE's So pOpULar
sHe'S sO PopULar
ShE's So pOpULar
SHe'S sO PopULar
ShE's So pOpULar
SHe's sO PopULar
ShE's So pOpULAr
.... .. .......

Guess what I heard on the car radio today while driving back from the doctor?!?!
Whistling tunes, we hide in the dunes by the seaside
Whistling tunes, we're kissing baboons in the jungle
It's a knockout

Games without frontiers, war without tears

ShE's So pOpULar
sHe'S sO PopULar
ShE's So pOpULar
SHe'S sO PopULar
ShE's So pOpULar
SHe's sO PopULar
ShE's So pOpULAr
.... .. .......
As I was reading your post and pondering the possibilities, I got Rick-rolled by a Dr. Pepper commercial.

The #4s naturally had a good mix of the familiar, though it was the first time in a while where only 1 song on my playlist was on another. There still some big premiers here too, both songs I probably should’ve considered more and ones I didn’t know.

Recognized by title alone: 23
Sounded familiar: 3
Knew from M-AD Countdowns: 1
Didn’t Know: 7

Selected Favorites:
Blue Skies - Willie Nelson
I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston.
Planet Caravan - Pantera
The House of the Rising Sun - The Animals. Another song that didn’t make its way on my list but plausibly should have.
America the Beautiful - Ray Charles

Hadn’t heard before, but liked:
Streets of Baltimore - Gram Parsons
Ceremony - Galaxie 500
Back in the High Life Again - Warren Zevon
I Wanna Holler - Detroit Cobras
Chain of Fools - Clint Black, The Pointer sisters.

Special Shout-out:
City of New Orleans - The Seldom Scene. This version I know exclusively from the respective M-AD countdown, of course.

Man, that Warren Z cover of Steve Winwood is just so ####ing good. I've listened to it 5 or 6 times today.

And Streets of Baltimore was in constant rotation already. Long before I learned about Gram Parsons, I had already spent a lifetime with Charley Pride's version. I've experienced a half-dozen bands drop it into their setlists when playing Charm City, and can't say I remember a bad take.

#4 Where Did You Sleep Last Night? - Nirvana (Traditional)
Lead Belly - Spotify ; Youtube
Mark Lanegan -Spotify ;Youtube

In their Unplugged show, Nirvana credit Lead Belly for the inspiration to perform this song, and it's his interpretation of it that this version echoes the most. So the choice to include that as an "original" was pretty easy. Above is also Mark Lanegan's cover from 1990, where Cobain played guitar. The first version secondhandsongs lists is by "Dock" Walsh in 1926, though this song goes back at least fifty years before that.

This song was recorded in 1993, and was scheduled to be featured as a B-side to "Pennyroyal Tea" in 1994. Only... well, Cobain died in April of that year. That led to it being released as part of their Unplugged album in 1994. For the record, if I'd allowed myself more than one song per artist, Nirvana's version of "The Man Who Sold the World" probably would've been in the teens on my list. But it's this performance that (obviously) sticks with me a lot more. This was the last song the band did that night, though the story goes that the producer suggesting doing an encore. Cobain's response was "I don't think we can top that last song". I'd certainly have to agree.

At #3, an artist I could've included dozens of covers from. Like for this selection, leaving other covers out was... well, shall we say "painful"?
You just saved me a write up soon lol

Favorite new-to-me #4 covers:

Didn't know the original but liked the cover: "Tropical Loveland" by the Chills; "I Wanna Holler" by the Detroit Cobras; "Planet Caravan" by Pantera

Just darn good: "Ohio/Machine Gun" by the Isley Brothers; "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" by Miley freaking Cyrus; "City of New Orleans" by The Seldom Scene.

Now I'm all caught up! Until...checks calendar...tomorrow morning. :cry:

4. I Wanna Holler (But The Town's Too Small) - Detroit Cobras (Gary "U.S." Bonds)

I picked this simply because I love the original so much and the cover is also excellent even if a tad straightforward (it really can't be anything else—to choose to cover it is to be bound by its urgency). Bonds's original is a stomper and screamer. Love the organ in the original. The Cobras are up for the task with their cover and I think the original plus the cover made this an easy song for me to remember to take.

Users who are viewing this thread