What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Next 100 best movies from the 80's (1 Viewer)

Sorry to ask again but did Parenthood make this list? Didn't make the last one. Makes me rethink everything about myself if that's not a top 200 movie. The formatting on the first post is awful.
You know, GM, these days you need a license to drive a car, or catch a fish. Hell, you need a license to buy a dog but they'll let any butt-reaming ******* make a top 100 80's movies thread.

Parenthood was a terrific 1980s movie and I disagree with anybody anywhere that won't include it in a top 100. What's the matter with some of you?
Had it in my head that it was 90s and didn’t verify. Probably would have made mine

Here’s some other I had ranked that didn’t make it

Bachelor Party
Little Shop of Horrors
Dune
The Man With Two Brains
Cujo
Honey I Shrunk The Kids
Conan the Barbarian
Running Man
Over The Top
Mr. Mom
Texas Chainsaw 2
Puppetmaster
I’m Gonna Get You Sucka
Critters
UHF
Caddyshack 2
Krull
Mannequin
Akira
Swamp Thing
Teen Wolf
Child’s Play
Adventures in Babysitting
Creepshow 2
Monster Squad
Lethal Weapon 2
Just One Of The Guys
Walk Like A Man
Cannonball Run
Children of the Corn
Explorers
Flight of the Navigator
Bloodsport

Also

Blind Fury
Skin Deep
Spies Like Us
Throw mama from the train
Night of the Creeps
Night of the Demons
House
The Gate
Cats Eye
Fright Night
Monkey Shines
Legend
Little Monsters
Excalibur
An American Tail
Last Starfighter

Out of those these are worthy of comment

Little Shop of Horrors - “feed me Seymour “

The Man With Two Brains - “I couldn’t **** a gorilla “ might be the funniest line Steve Martin has ever spoken

Over the Top - I mean how did a movie about arm wrestling get the green light

Mr. Mom - “you can’t feed a baby chili”

Puppetmaster - haven’t seen any of these in years, but I liked the scary little puppets

I’m gonna get you sucka - KP mentioned this one, I haven’t seen in years but I remember it being pretty funny

Critters - watched this one a few years ago, still holds up pretty good. Leo DiCaprio stars in part 3 and part 4 is in space with Angela basset. You know a horror franchise has staying power when they go to space

UHF - “red snapper, very tasty!”

Few more

Krull - so bad but good

Mannequin - I don’t know why I liked this but I did. Maybe because I liked Todays Special growing up?

Akira - had it on my list @hagmania just not high enough

Just one of the guys the ball scratching scene

Walk Like A Man - Howie Mandell raised by wolves

Skin Deep - all I really remember was the glow in the dark rubbers fight

Night of the Creeps - kind of a body snatchers ripoff but pretty creepy

Night of the Demons - remember this one being scary as a kid no idea how it holds up

Eight Men Out
Much better baseball movie than The Natural.
The great thing about baseball movies is...we have so many different takes and stories. The Natural is a story all in it’s own. Eight Men Out a totally different motif. Factual and the dark side of sports. Major League.....pure comedy. Bull Durham just such a great take on minor league ball and the bus league life. Field of Dreams...the magic of baseball. The Sandlot......the joy of being 12 and playing baseball with your friends literally everyday in the summer and getting into trouble.

You can’t go wrong with any of them.....all of them fantastic sports movies on America’s past time. I love em all.

Eight Men Out
The great thing about baseball movies is...we have so many different takes and stories. The Natural is a story all in it’s own. Eight Men Out a totally different motif. Factual and the dark side of sports. Major League.....pure comedy. Bull Durham just such a great take on minor league ball and the bus league life. Field of Dreams...the magic of baseball. The Sandlot......the joy of being 12 and playing baseball with your friends literally everyday in the summer and getting into trouble.

You can’t go wrong with any of them.....all of them fantastic sports movies on America’s past time. I love em all.

... or the poignant human drama of mortality in "Bang The Drum Slowly" - that's a world unto itself.

Here’s some other I had ranked that didn’t make it

Bachelor Party
Little Shop of Horrors
Dune
The Man With Two Brains
Cujo
Honey I Shrunk The Kids
Conan the Barbarian
Running Man
Over The Top
Mr. Mom
Texas Chainsaw 2
Puppetmaster
I’m Gonna Get You Sucka
Critters
UHF
Caddyshack 2
Krull
Mannequin
Akira
Swamp Thing
Teen Wolf
Child’s Play
Adventures in Babysitting
Creepshow 2
Monster Squad
Lethal Weapon 2
Just One Of The Guys
Walk Like A Man
Cannonball Run
Children of the Corn
Explorers
Flight of the Navigator
Bloodsport
Ugh. Fix your formatting!! ;)

Also

Blind Fury
Skin Deep
Spies Like Us
Night of the Creeps
Night of the Demons
House
The Gate
Cats Eye
Fright Night
Monkey Shines
Legend
Little Monsters
Excalibur
An American Tail
Last Starfighter
Oh, hell yeah! I totally forgot about this gem. I always forget it's a Romero movie, too.

Another horror movie I always dug back in the day was Witchboard. Probably crap if I watched it now though. Tawny Kitaen though. :wub:

Both are on Tubi. Double feature tonight, 80s nerds? :popcorn:

Few more

Krull - so bad but good

Mannequin - I don’t know why I liked this but I did. Maybe because I liked Todays Special growing up?

Night of the Demons - remember this one being scary as a kid no idea how it holds up

Now you guys are just throwing out titles.

Few more

Krull - so bad but good

Now you guys are just throwing out titles.
It beats talking about boring movies like The Natural. ;)

Eight Men Out

Even "The Scout" and "Little Big League?"

I was hinting at April Fools Day in the other thread. It made an amazing double feature with Bodies Bodies Bodies the other night.

Also

Blind Fury
Skin Deep
Spies Like Us
Night of the Creeps
Night of the Demons
House
The Gate
Cats Eye
Fright Night
Monkey Shines
Legend
Little Monsters
Excalibur
An American Tail
Last Starfighter
Oh, hell yeah! I totally forgot about this gem. I always forget it's a Romero movie, too.

Another horror movie I always dug back in the day was Witchboard. Probably crap if I watched it now though. Tawny Kitaen though. :wub:

Witchboard is awesome!!!

Progressive Entrapment!!

Also

Blind Fury
Skin Deep
Spies Like Us
Night of the Creeps
Night of the Demons
House
The Gate
Cats Eye
Fright Night
Monkey Shines
Legend
Little Monsters
Excalibur
An American Tail
Last Starfighter

Witchboard is awesome!!!

Progressive Entrapment!!
lol. You are going to get me to watch this thing tonight.

Yoooooooo, has no one mentioned Streets of Fire (A Rock n Roll Fable)? Really fun movie, young Willem Defoe as the bad guy, and the best Diane Lane you'll ever see. I love this move, and it's rewatchable.

Amazing opening scene
Man....it was so so corny!!! Definitly a fun 80’s movie......and that dude is forever.....Eddie!!!

And thats another one......Eddie and the Cruisers.....love that flick. True story.....went to a double feature with my dad back in 83 I think? Eddie and the Cruisers was the first movie and the feature film was Coal Miners Daughter. Another great movie that is a gem.

Yoooooooo, has no one mentioned Streets of Fire (A Rock n Roll Fable)? Really fun movie, young Willem Defoe as the bad guy, and the best Diane Lane you'll ever see. I love this move, and it's rewatchable.

Amazing opening scene
I don't know how this movie went off the rails. Maybe it took itself too seriously or was perceived that way?
What genre do you put it in? it was this weird 50's nostalgia, but through an 80's lens. So you had 50's greasers, and neon stages and skinny ties. But done on purpose, like an alternate reality. They never tell you where you are, it's Detroit/Chicago-ish, directed by Walter Hill, so it looks awesome. Music was amazing, Ry Cooder, The Blasters, even a great 80's One Hit Wonder by Dan Hartman.

80's cast? Amazing. Rick Moranis, the hooker from The Warriors, Bill Paxton gets punched out at LEAST twice in this movie, and that little weird girl that was in all the 80's movies, EG Daily. Lee Ving from Fear as the biker henchman. This movie rulez

Amazing opening scene
I don't know how this movie went off the rails. Maybe it took itself too seriously or was perceived that way?
It reminds me of a Meatloaf album, all the way down to the 2 Jim Steinman songs in the soundtrack.

Amazing opening scene
What genre do you put it in? it was this weird 50's nostalgia, but through an 80's lens. So you had 50's greasers, and neon stages and skinny ties. But done on purpose, like an alternate reality. They never tell you where you are, it's Detroit/Chicago-ish, directed by Walter Hill, so it looks awesome. Music was amazing, Ry Cooder, The Blasters, even a great 80's One Hit Wonder by Dan Hartman.

80's cast? Amazing. Rick Moranis, the hooker from The Warriors, Bill Paxton gets punched out at LEAST twice in this movie, and that little weird girl that was in all the 80's movies, EG Daily. Lee Ving from Fear as the biker henchman. This movie rulez
Well, it tells us at the very beginning, it's a Rock and Roll Fable. It's everything you describe and nothing more or less. It was Blackboard Jungle meets Wizard of Oz meets Heart of Darkness.

As for the cast, you didn't even mention the R n B backing trio of Robert Townsend, Mykleti (Forrest Gump's best good friend Bubba) Williamson and Grand L. Bush (Agent Johnson--no, the other one) . Just heavy hitters everywhere.

If you look up the term Guilty Pleasure in the dictionary, it's on page 1.

A couple of my favorites from the 80's that I haven't seen mentioned yet (and I'm not proposing should be in anyone else's top 100):

Heavy Metal
Even though I didn't take it for granted when it came out, I wish I could go to one more midnight showing and experience it all over again.

I thought it was here, but I guess @Loc-nar was on a different FF board.

Finally back in front of a computer, here are the rest of the movies I had ranked for this.

Weekend at Bernies
Halloween 3
The Blob
Star Trek 3: Search for Spock
Krull
Uncle Buck
Friday the 13th Part 3
Prince of Darkness
Excalibur
The Dead Zone
Romancing the Stone
Police Academy