What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Next 100 Songs from 1975, aka Sanbornpalooza. #1: Black Friday (2 Viewers)

95. This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) -- Natalie Cole (from Inseparable)

Infectious keys and punchy horns drive one of 1975's R&B standouts, which was the first major hit for Nat King Cole's daughter. I remember having the "from now on" coda in my head a lot as a child. Bonus points for being the theme song of eharmony, where I met my wife. 
catchy tune, but i have entirely different associations...

dont hit this, i beg you

cant think of Miss Cole without immediately flashing to ol' UMass stories of her bartering her celebrity daughterness to fuel her drug habit

95. This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) -- Natalie Cole (from Inseparable)

Infectious keys and punchy horns drive one of 1975's R&B standouts, which was the first major hit for Nat King Cole's daughter. I remember having the "from now on" coda in my head a lot as a child. Bonus points for being the theme song of eharmony, where I met my wife. 
I immediately thought of the commercial when I saw this, but couldn’t place the product - thanks for saving me the Google.

93. It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) -- AC/DC (from TNT (Australia, 1975) and High Voltage (rest of the world, 1976))

This song has a convoluted release history. It appeared in 1975 on TNT, their second Australian album. A year later, selected tracks from their first two Australian albums, including this one, were released to the rest on the world as High Voltage. I'm counting it. 

Now that we're done with the logistics, can we mention about how THEY MADE BAGPIPES ROCK? How is that even possible? The bagpipes (played by Bon Scott!) even trade solos with Angus Young at points. Otherwise, everything people came to love about AC/DC was already there: killer riffs, propulsive drums and everyman lyrics. 

Last edited by a moderator:
94. It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll -- AC/DC (from TNT (Australia, 1975) and High Voltage (rest of the world, 1976))

This song has a convoluted release history. It appeared in 1975 on TNT, their second Australian album. A year later, selected tracks from their first two Australian albums, including this one, were released to the rest on the world as High Voltage. I'm counting it. 

Now that we're done with the logistics, can we mention about how THEY MADE BAGPIPES ROCK? How is that even possible? The bagpipes (played by Bon Scott!) even trade solos with Angus Young at points. Otherwise, everything people came to love about AC/DC was already there: killer riffs, propulsive drums and everyman lyrics. 
There’s a pretty good promo video for this when they’re just playing in the streets

https://youtu.be/-sUXMzkh-jI

There’s a pretty good promo video for this when they’re just playing in the streets

https://youtu.be/-sUXMzkh-jI
Thanks for tracking that down! I saw it mentioned on Wiki. Which also said that Scott would play the bagpipe part onstage until late 1976, when he left his bagpipes by the edge of the stage and fans seized and destroyed them. After that, the bagpipe parts were replaced with more Angus Young solos. 

92. Black Diamond (Live) -- Kiss (from Alive)

I generally didn't consider tracks from 1975 live albums, but like Tim, I made an exception for Alive. In my case, it was for two reasons: It sounds a hell of a lot better than their thinly-produced first three studio albums, and it took their popularity to a new level. For many of the tracks, these are the definitive versions. 

Black Diamond is one of my favorite Kiss songs. The song is muscular and tuneful, with none of the triteness and ridiculousness that they could bring sometimes, and the instrumental fireworks that start at 3:35 are jaw-dropping. I was particularly impressed when I saw this at the end of a video compilation of Midnight Special performances from 1975 (starts at 55:22): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ups_fp437E

93. Black Diamond (Live) -- Kiss (from Alive)

I generally didn't consider tracks from 1975 live albums, but like Tim, I made an exception for Alive. In my case, it was for two reasons: It sounds a hell of a lot better than their thinly-produced first three studio albums, and it took their popularity to a new level. For many of the tracks, these are the definitive versions. 

Black Diamond is one of my favorite Kiss songs. The song is muscular and tuneful, with none of the triteness and ridiculousness that they could bring sometimes, and the instrumental fireworks that start at 3:35 are jaw-dropping. I was particularly impressed when I saw this at the end of a video compilation of Midnight Special performances from 1975 (starts at 55:22): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ups_fp437E
I may have mentioned this one in Tim's countdown. My favorite Kiss song for sure - as you say, this towers above many of their trite songs. And I'm a big fan of Peter Criss's raspy vocals.

I may have mentioned this one in Tim's countdown. My favorite Kiss song for sure - as you say, this towers above many of their trite songs. And I'm a big fan of Peter Criss's raspy vocals.
I'm not sure if I could handle a whole album of Criss vocals, but his voice is particularly well-suited for this one. 

As an aside, what gems Midnight Special, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, the Beat Club, etc. were. Just don't make 'em like that any more. I like to dig through a lot of those old performances on YouTube.

I'm not sure if I could handle a whole album of Criss vocals, but his voice is particularly well-suited for this one. 
Totally agree - I think it was good that they gave him one or two per album. "Hard Luck Woman" and "Baby Driver" were standouts, and I guess we have to throw "Beth" in there, too.

93. Black Diamond (Live) -- Kiss (from Alive)

Pip, did you know you can simply right click on the video on YouTube and click "copy link from current time"? That will get you right to the heart of whatever you want to post. Surely it's not a pain to just fast forward as the listener, but given you link so often, I just thought you might like to know if you already don't.

And Kiss was my favorite band when I was five. Then a dalliance again in high school with the older stuff. My favorite song has always been "Gold Gin."

Pip, did you know you can simply right click on the video on YouTube and click "copy link from current time"? That will get you right to the heart of whatever you want to post. Surely it's not a pain to just fast forward as the listener, but given you link so often, I just thought you might like to know if you already don't.

And Kiss was my favorite band when I was five. Then a dalliance again in high school with the older stuff. My favorite song has always been "Gold Gin."
Cold Gin and Black Diamond are two of my favorites from Kiss.   I despise their goofy songs with a passion.  

As an aside, what gems Midnight Special, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, the Beat Club, etc. were. Just don't make 'em like that any more. I like to dig through a lot of those old performances on YouTube.
Me too! I got on a whole kick a few months ago with the Midnight Special yearly compilations. 

I did not know that. Thanks. 

We just had two metal songs, and now the next four entries will be from vastly divergent genres.

91. The Hissing of Summer Lawns -- Joni Mitchell (from The Hissing of Summer Lawns)

The Rolling Stone narrative is that Hissing is where Joni started making unapproachable music. That's horse####. There are more touches of jazz, African music and other non-folk genres than what she had done previously, but her lyrics remained stunning, her melodies remained strong and most of the songs' arrangements weren't that much different from what she did on immediate predecessor Court and Spark, her most popular album. The title track is a gut-wrenching account of a suburban woman trapped in a loveless marriage who only stays because of the material things her husband bestows upon her (and societal pressure).

He gave her his darkness to regret
And good reason to quit him
He gave her a roomful of Chippendale
That nobody sits in
Still she stays with a love of some kind
It's the lady's choice
The hissing of summer lawns

&

The vocal is one of Joni's saddest, and the interjections of "Darkness!" are just chilling. 

Thought that might have been Jaco Pastorius on bass, but looked it up and he didn't guest with Joni until the following year.
Correct. Jaco first appeared on Hejira. He and some other jazz guys were in her backing band for the Shadows and Light live album and video, which is great stuff. The video is on YouTube in its entirety.

Correct. Jaco first appeared on Hejira. He and some other jazz guys were in her backing band for the Shadows and Light live album and video, which is great stuff. The video is on YouTube in its entirety.
The album didn't have Jaco, but as always, she had a great supporting cast. From Wiki: 

Joni Mitchell – vocals, acoustic guitar (tracks 1–4, 9), Moog (2), piano (5, 9), keyboards (7), ARP and Farfisa (10)

Victor Feldman – electric piano (1, 5), congas (4), vibes (5), keyboards and percussion (6)

Joe Sample – electric piano (3), keyboards (8)

Larry Carlton – electric guitar (3–5, 09)

Robben Ford – electric guitar (1), Dobro (4), guitar (8)

Jeff Baxter – electric guitar (1)

James Taylor – background vocals (1), guitar (6)

David Crosby and Graham Nash – background vocals (1)

Max Bennett – bass (1, 5–8)

Wilton Felder – bass (3, 4)

John Guerin – drums (except 2), Moog and arrangement (6)

The Warrior Drums of Burundi (2)

Chuck Findley – horn (3), trumpet (6, 8), flugelhorn (7)

Bud Shank – saxophone and flute (3, 6), bass flute (7)

Dale Oehler – string arrangement (5)

We just had two metal songs, and now the next four entries will be from vastly divergent genres.

92. The Hissing of Summer Lawns -- Joni Mitchell (from The Hissing of Summer Lawns)

The Rolling Stone narrative is that Hissing is where Joni started making unapproachable music. That's horse####. There are more touches of jazz, African music and other non-folk genres than what she had done previously, but her lyrics remained stunning, her melodies remained strong and most of the songs' arrangements weren't that much different from what she did on immediate predecessor Court and Spark, her most popular album. The title track is a gut-wrenching account of a suburban woman trapped in a loveless marriage who only stays because of the material things her husband bestows upon her (and societal pressure).

He gave her his darkness to regret
And good reason to quit him
He gave her a roomful of Chippendale
That nobody sits in
Still she stays with a love of some kind
It's the lady's choice
The hissing of summer lawns

&

The vocal is one of Joni's saddest, and the interjections of "Darkness!" are just chilling. 
i cant really say this because of Blue, but THIS is where Joni begins for me (and not because it was the album which made Jaco necessary). Summer Lawns is one of the most important albums of my life.

i had been a songbird/performer from the start, could imitate Satchmo when i was four, then was laid low by a stagefright incident when i was 10 and a truly dramatic case of voice change in my teens. i didnt sing at all for years until i found myself out on rock & roll tours (long story) and got to jam vocally with some of my idols. that gave me the confidence to sing again but my vocal register was too deep to sing along with the radio. i developed a way of singing which hopped between harmonizing an octave down from the traditional 3rd above and an actual 3rd below. this turned me into a virtual harmonizing machine, which has carried me to this day as a singer and caused me to make enough musical conjugations that i was able to become a decent songwriter when i needed to.

but the ultimate distillation occurred when i heard this album. I found myself liking it more than most Joni records and, after several listens, had a harmonic singalong to it as i did w all my favorite records, but i noticed something truly different about this one. i called my high school sweetheart, a true singing talent (who was also superhot and would have been a star if she didnt insist upon playing piano - which she was completely terrible at - when she sang publicly) and still the most naturally original harmonizer i ever heard. i told her that i'd been singing along to Summer Lawns and found that my harmonies sounded more like traditional lead lines.

"oh, yeah, that's Joni - she's been doing that for years. writing a song, finding the harmony, then throwing out the original. ever since she was with James Taylor. that's why Blue was so different - she'd been harmonizing to JT so much it changed her melodies. everyone had harmonized to her before that""

i was blowed away, and it caused me to experiment further, to experiment w harmonies to see how many i could turn into alternate leads. the tricks i learned have led to my most joyous memories as a singer - to have a real musician stare at me like a Martian because my harmony has both supported and competed with what they were singing. boy, music is fun!

90. Ice -- Crack the Sky (from Crack the Sky)

This album won all kinds of accolades in 1975, but barely anyone heard it. Crack the Sky, a five-piece from West Virginia, could be generalized as a prog band, but they also incorporated elements of power pop and what would eventually mutate into New Wave. Their debut album was widely praised by the music writers and the handful of others who heard it, but it was the first record issued on a fledgling label that had no idea what it was doing distribution-wise, so it was impossible to find in most places. The one city that received a lot of copies was Baltimore -- and that is where their strongest following developed, and continues to this day.

The debut album is wonderful from start to finish, but this one is my favorite track. The guitar figures at the beginning constantly swirl in my head. And I love songs that manage to sound simple and complex at the same time, as this one does. 

91. Ice -- Crack the Sky (from Crack the Sky)

This album won all kinds of accolades in 1975, but barely anyone heard it. Crack the Sky, a five-piece from West Virginia, could be generalized as a prog band, but they also incorporated elements of power pop and what would eventually mutate into New Wave. Their debut album was widely praised by the music writers and the handful of others who heard it, but it was the first record issued on a fledgling label that had no idea what it was doing distribution-wise, so it was impossible to find in most places. The one city that received a lot of copies was Baltimore -- and that is where their strongest following developed, and continues to this day.

The debut album is wonderful from start to finish, but this one is my favorite track. The guitar figures at the beginning constantly swirl in my head. And I love songs that manage to sound simple and complex at the same time, as this one does. 
Wow - nice pull. I’ve heard them a few times on SiriusXM Deep Tracks, but never really explored them further. Consider them to be explored.

91. Ice -- Crack the Sky (from Crack the Sky)

Funny because in college and for a while after I dated a girl from Maryland - and that's the only reason I heard of this band. They were to the Baltimore area what Zebra was to Long Island.

Funny because in college and for a while after I dated a girl from Maryland - and that's the only reason I heard of this band. They were to the Baltimore area what Zebra was to Long Island.
I only ever heard of them because two guys from Baltimore who were on a Phish board I used to frequent were always touting them. This was almost 30 years after the debut came out. At least I knew of Zebra at their apex because MTV often played the Who’s Behind the Door video.

Don Kirchner's Rock Concert (1973)  - Todd Rundgren and then brings on the new band, Todd Rundgren's Utopia.

ETA:  oops - here's the link  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJtA8PKK4AE

Here are songs I considered but didn't use by artists that appear in entries 100 to 90. In spoiler text for people who don' t want to know what didn't make it until the end

AC/DC:

T.N.T. (from TNT (Australia, 1975) and High Voltage (rest of the world, 1976))

"I'm a badass and get out of my way" would become a theme in metal, and this song was one of the pioneers. The simple, powerful riffs stay with you a long time, but the guitar freakery starting at 3:05 sets it apart from the standard hard-driving rock of the time. 

Brass Construction:

Peekin' (from Brass Construction)

This is written from the perspective of a peeping Tom, so needless to say, the lyrics have not aged well. The music is a different story. The groove is hard and the beat is thick. 

Crack the Sky:

Sea Epic (from Crack the Sky)

This sounds exactly like what you'd expect a song called Sea Epic by a prog band to sound like. Especially at the beginning, it reminds me of A Salty Dog by Procol Harum. It's also sung from the perspective of different characters -- think The Who's A Quick One While He's Away. 

I Don't Have a Tie (from Crack the Sky

This, on the other hand, has nothing to do with seas. It's a snappy proto-New Wave song with some unusual transitions and glorious guitar work at the end. 

Queen:

The Prophet's Song (from A Night at the Opera)

This had to have been one of the inspirations for Spinal Tap's Stonehenge, yes? I can't decide if it's brilliant or ridiculous. It's probably both.

Damn, I got all excited for a second when I saw "Ice" in the thread title, thinking it was the Camel song, but then I remembered that that song is from 1979, and that cuts that deep have no prayer in most of these countdowns. :(

Damn, I got all excited for a second when I saw "Ice" in the thread title, thinking it was the Camel song, but then I remembered that that song is from 1979, and that cuts that deep have no prayer in most of these countdowns. :(
If I ever do anything related to 1979, I'll look that one up. Unfortunately I am pretty unfamiliar with Camel. 

Funny you say that - I was totally expecting Camel as well.

89. Grandaddy -- New Birth (from Blind Baby)

New Birth was a soul/funk band that was actually the fusion of three groups -- a vocal group, an instrumental group and a horn section. At their height they had 14 (!) members. The one to keep in mind is Leslie Wilson, the primary lead vocalist, a very talented and tremendously underrated singer. 

The band had quite a few successes on the R&B charts but less so on pop charts, but they released a number of powerful and memorable singles. A notable one that came out in '75 was Grandaddy, a tale of an ancestor with a checkered past in the vein of Papa Was a Rollin' Stone. It's bumpin'. Wilson delivers an expressive vocal with just the right amount of anguish, and the band grooves to great effect, with all kinds of intricate stuff going on in the background. I think the end of the long version even has an ocarina solo! 

Short version (this is what you hear on the album and the A-side of the single): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nGb2x6ZemA 

Long version (this is what you hear when you fuse the A-side and the B-side together): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO94Tzkn3e4 

Most of the songs in the 80s are what we now call classic rock. Starting with one not normally associated with this year.

88. Show Me the Way -- Peter Frampton (from Frampton)

This is not the version from Frampton Comes Alive that became a huge hit a year later, but it's very similar. The bass and drums are less forceful than the live version, as might be expected, but Frampton's vocal is the same, the harmonies are better, and the talkbox guitar is still doing its thing. 

Most of the songs in the 80s are what we now call classic rock. Starting with one not normally associated with this year.

89. Show Me the Way -- Peter Frampton (from Frampton)

This is not the version from Frampton Comes Alive that became a huge hit a year later, but it's very similar. The bass and drums are less forceful than the live version, as might be expected, but Frampton's vocal is the same, the harmonies are better, and the talkbox guitar is still doing its thing. 
I like this version as well - in some ways better than the uber-produced version on the live album.

Trying to figure out who's on Pete's T-shirt on the album cover. Kind of looks like Ringo, but don't think it's him. And I imagine not a mustachioed Steve Marriott.

89. Show Me the Way -- Peter Frampton (from Frampton)

The girls from my 6th grade Catholic school broke hymens over Frampton the live version.

I told you he would show up a lot.

87. Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown -- Neil Young and Crazy Horse (from Tonight's the Night

Or, as @krista4 would call this, Neil minus Neil. As explained in my Neil countdown, this song was co-written by Neil and Crazy Horse's Danny Whitten and performed on Neil's 1970 tour with Crazy Horse with Whitten on lead vocals. Neil conceived Tonight's the Night, a concept album about the seedier side of the counterculture, after the heroin-overdose deaths of Whitten and CSNY roadie Bruce Berry. Berry's story is told in the title track, which appeared on Tim's list, and Whitten is represented by a live version of this song, which is about scoring heroin, from the 1970 tour. The guitars are scathing and Whitten and Neil sing with anguish. 

I told you he would show up a lot.

88. Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown -- Neil Young and Crazy Horse (from Tonight's the Night

Or, as @krista4 would call this, Neil minus Neil. As explained in my Neil countdown, this song was co-written by Neil and Crazy Horse's Danny Whitten and performed on Neil's 1970 tour with Crazy Horse with Whitten on lead vocals. Neil conceived Tonight's the Night, a concept album about the seedier side of the counterculture, after the heroin-overdose deaths of Whitten and CSNY roadie Bruce Berry. Berry's story is told in the title track, which appeared on Tim's list, and Whitten is represented by a live version of this song, which is about scoring heroin, from the 1970 tour. The guitars are scathing and Whitten and Neil sing with anguish. 
Good job holding out on Neil until #88. :thumbup:  

Have always liked this one.

Users who are viewing this thread