What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ONE person who if hired, can virtually (1 Viewer)

MrPack

reformed delinquent
Steve Mariucci.This is from a Milwaukee news station who is in Hattiesburg MS. A member of his family came out and said the Packers hiring of ONE person can virtually guarantee he will be back. This was also confirmed by his agent Bus Cook in an interview last night. That person is Steve Mariucci.The only way I can see the hiring of Mooch is that packers hire a DEF Coordinator, and he in turn hires Mooch as his OC. No way will Thompson hire Mooch as HC.

Interesting. Well, I wouldn't mind a Bates/Mariucci combo. Mariucci is a pretty good offensive mind. Not sure I'd want him as a head coach, but if Bates were in charge, I'd like it.

Wow, I was going to say Mooch myself. Good post. I think you are absolutely right. I think Mooch might be a little disheartened by the NFL right now. I could see him taking the Michigan or Michigan state job when both of those guys get fired.

Agreed. I've been a proponent of this kind of move for a while now - in fact, since Mooch was thrown under the bus by DET.

Talk today of Mike McCarthy...while I don't think the Packers should look in his direction, there's no question they're doing so with an eye toward making Brett happy IMHO.

Steve Mariucci.

This is from a Milwaukee news station who is in Hattiesburg MS. A member of his family came out and said the Packers hiring of ONE person can virtually guarantee he will be back. This was also confirmed by his agent Bus Cook in an interview last night. That person is Steve Mariucci.
And once again Favre tries to choose who will coach the Packers.

Steve Mariucci.

This is from a Milwaukee news station who is in Hattiesburg MS. A member of his family came out and said the Packers hiring of ONE person can virtually guarantee he will be back. This was also confirmed by his agent Bus Cook in an interview last night. That person is Steve Mariucci.
:rolleyes:

Steve Mariucci.

And once again someone says something stupid and completely ignorant about something involving Favre.Once again? When did he do it the first time?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I like Mooch and I think he's a good coach -- certainly better than he displayed in Detroit (where a lot of the problems this season were a result of his horrible play-calling). That said, he isn't the toughest guy on his players and I believe the Packers need a take-charge type of head coach and someone who is willing to drop the hammer -- especially on Favre should he decide to return. I just don't know if I want Mooch to be the guy for the job (and based on the Packers not contacting him yet it appears Thompson isn't overally enamored with him either). I wouldn't be totally against it but the stench of that Detroit flop is still pretty strong.

If Ted Tompson is making his decision on coach based on what will make Brett happy, he's dumber than I thought.

If Ted Tompson is making his decision on coach based on what will make Brett happy, he's dumber than I thought.
I'm not sure how bright Thompson is or isn't just yet. We'll learn plenty about him this off-season. But I agree, the worst thing Thompson can do is make this decision based on what Favre wants.

I'm not sure how bright Thompson is or isn't just yet. We'll learn plenty about him this off-season. But I agree, the worst thing Thompson can do is make this decision based on what Favre wants.
While the jury is still out, his first draft yielded some immediate dividends, and he discovered a few diamonds in the rough when injuries were hurting the team. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt based on that.

Once again? When did he do it the first time?
There were reports at various times about how he didn't want to play for the Packers if Sherman wasn't there. It was just lobbying for them to keep Sherman. I don't blame him for wanting input on who coaches the team; I'm sure a lot of players would like that kind of input. But players don't generally get to choose the coaches. And this story about a family member and his agent both saying he'll stay if Mariucci is hired is just Favre's attempt at doing that --- choosing the next coach.

Once again?  When did he do it the first time?
There were reports at various times about how he didn't want to play for the Packers if Sherman wasn't there. It was just lobbying for them to keep Sherman. I don't blame him for wanting input on who coaches the team; I'm sure a lot of players would like that kind of input. But players don't generally get to choose the coaches. And this story about a family member and his agent both saying he'll stay if Mariucci is hired is just Favre's attempt at doing that --- choosing the next coach.
Actually, as Favre clarified at the end of the season, what he said was he didn't want to learn a new offensive system. It had little to do with Sherman. But of course, the Favre haters gotta hate......

Steve Mariucci.

The only way I can see the hiring of Mooch is that packers hire a DEF Coordinator, and he in turn hires Mooch as his OC. No way will Thompson hire Mooch as HC.
I thought you was going to say Terrel Owens :unsure:

Once again? When did he do it the first time?
So...there being reports of this is now him chosing a coach?And the reports and his quotes were that his decision to come back would have many factors...among them coaching. Losing Sherman means he might have to learn a new system and he was not sure he wanted to do that at this point in his career.

From a fantasy perspective, if Mooch becomes the coach, be sure to down grade all Packer RBs. Hell, while you're at it down grade all Packer skilled players. Mooch = Cancer to Fantasy Football.

I'm not sure I think it's a wise decision to hire a coach that doesn't fit the team's recent, successful style of play just to keep around your iconic yet ineffective QB.Brad Childress is probably the guy I'd want in this situation.Colin

I'm not sure I think it's a wise decision to hire a coach that doesn't fit the team's recent, successful style of play just to keep around your iconic yet ineffective QB.

Brad Childress is probably the guy I'd want in this situation.

Colin
Not so sure about Childress...from what I hear he is more window dressing in Philly with Reid running the show.

I'm not sure I think it's a wise decision to hire a coach that doesn't fit the team's recent, successful style of play just to keep around your iconic yet ineffective QB.
I'm a reasonably intelligent guy Colin :) but I read this sentence four times and still couldn't figure it out. Are you saying you think it's a bad move to hire someone who doesn't fit the offense? If so, how would that placate Favre, who has made it clear he doesn't want to learn a new system?

Colin
Childress missed his interview with the Packers yesterday because he was still getting the full-court press applied to him by the Vikings. That may be an indication where his interest lies.

This thread title lead me to believe that the Packers were hiring Deanna Favre as their new offensive coordinator. I came inside to see, but was let down. :(

I'm a reasonably intelligent guy Colin :) but I read this sentence four times and still couldn't figure it out. Are you saying you think it's a bad move to hire someone who doesn't fit the offense? If so, how would that placate Favre, who has made it clear he doesn't want to learn a new system?

Colin
Childress missed his interview with the Packers yesterday because he was still getting the full-court press applied to him by the Vikings. That may be an indication where his interest lies.
Turns out that was indeed the case as Childress is now the Vikings' HC.And Aaron, I'm in full agreement with you about Phillips. That would be a horrible hire by Thompson. The two do have a history together which is why he's being considered. But no way do I want to see the Packers hire a retread like Wade Phillips.

Update on the Packers. According to this article, Childress left Philly thinking GB would be the best place for him but took the Minn job due to the full court press they put on and no guarantee he'd be hired by GB.Childress held over in talks with VikingsBy TOM SILVERSTEINtsilverstein@journalsentinel.comPosted: Jan. 5, 2006Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers won't get a chance to find out whether Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress would have been a good fit for their vacant head coaching job, but it doesn't mean they are out of options. On Thursday, general manager Ted Thompson interviewed Dallas assistant head coach Sean Payton, one of the more promising offensive coaches he'll meet during the hiring process. Payton has strong ties to Dallas coach Bill Parcells and would offer Thompson the young, personable leader he is seeking to inject life into the team.It's unclear how his interview went, but from most accounts Payton impressed officials with his intelligence and football acumen.Childress was supposed to interview with Thompson on Wednesday but the Minnesota Vikings got serious in their pursuit of him after an interview Tuesday and convinced him to stay while they conducted interviews with other potential candidates.According to an NFL source, Childress, a former University of Wisconsin assistant coach, left Philadelphia thinking Green Bay might be the best place for him, but the Vikings' urgency to complete a deal was too much to pass up. Unsure whether the Packers would hire him, Childress went for the sure thing with the Vikings.Minnesota has not officially announced Childress' hiring and the Eagles coach still has an interview scheduled with the Packers on Tuesday, but sources said an agreement with the Vikings would be wrapped up soon. Acquaintances of Childress' say one of the first people he'll hire for his coaching staff is Packers quarterbacks coach Darrell Bevell, who played under Childress at Wisconsin.Bevell's contract is set to expire and he will soon be free to join Childress. Since Thompson is focusing mostly on offensive assistant coaches, it's likely former coach Mike Sherman's entire offensive staff will be different next season.If Thompson is serious about wanting quarterback Brett Favre to return, Payton might be the man he is looking for. The 42-year-old Payton played quarterback in college and the pros, served as quarterbacks coach under West Coast-offense disciples Ray Rhodes and Jon Gruden in Philadelphia and held offensive coordinator positions under Jim Fassel in New York and Parcells in Dallas.Payton helped resurrect the quarterback careers of Kerry Collins in New York and Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe in Dallas. He also managed to coax a 3,000-yard season out of young Cowboys QB Quincy Carter in his first season as passing game coordinator.His years with Gruden and Fassel prepared him for the West Coast offense and his years with Parcells were invaluable in learning the running game, play-calling and player motivation. His interview with Thompson will be a big determining factor in whether he becomes a finalist."He's the new breed guy coming up," said a close friend of Payton's. "He's a head coach. He has no time for drama and everything else. He just wants to coach. He's interested in living a very balanced life."Early in Payton's tenure in Philadelphia, he worked with former Packers quarterback Ty Detmer and there's a chance he would ask Detmer to become a part of his staff if named head coach. Detmer, a backup in Atlanta, just finished his 14th season in the National Football League and if he doesn't return, is expected to go into coaching.The combination of Payton and Detmer, the latter of whom came to Green Bay the same year Favre did and spent four years as his backup, might be enough to entice Favre to come back for another season. Payton's expertise in coaching quarterbacks might be what Favre needs to bounce back from his worst season."Sean can show to Brett, 'This is where Kerry Collins was, this is where Drew Bledsoe was and this is how I got them to do what they should be doing,' " the friend said. "That's one guy who could point to that."Whether Payton is ready to assume the role of a head coach is something Thompson will have to determine. It's unclear if Payton has additional duties as assistant head coach under Parcells, but he has been considered for a head-coaching job before - with the Oakland Raiders two years ago - and Wednesday had an introductory interview with the New Orleans Saints in San Antonio about their opening.He is expected to meet with them again in New Orleans."I don't want Payton to leave; he's a great coach," Cowboys guard Marco Rivera, a former Packer, told the Dallas Morning News. "I couldn't imagine trying to replace that guy. I've only had one year with him, and I'm already excited about next year."He sees the game of football with a different attitude. He has a brilliant mind for offense, and he knows how to convey that to players." Cleveland offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon, meanwhile, is expected to formally interview today. He comes with a reputation for being a disciplinarian, much in the mold of his former coach, Parcells. He has served as offensive coordinator in Dallas, Detroit and Cleveland and comes with a strong offensive background.Meanwhile, the Packers are expected to interview Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera on Saturday in Chicago. They will probably interview San Francisco offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy on Sunday in Green Bay.Also, it doesn't appear Sherman is interested in replacing Childress in Philadelphia, where he would be reunited with close friend Andy Reid. Sherman told WTMJ radio Thursday that he was interested in returning to football only as a head coach. The Eagles are expected to interview Kansas City offensive coordinator Al Saunders this weekend.

There's a lot of talk out of Green Bay that Wade Phillips is getting a serious look.
:fishing: Maybe you should live around these parts before you make ridiculous statements.

From a fantasy perspective, if Mooch becomes the coach, be sure to down grade all Packer RBs. Hell, while you're at it down grade all Packer skilled players.

Mooch = Cancer to Fantasy Football.
So you are saying that we should downgrade BOTH of the Packers Skilled players?!? :P

There's a lot of talk out of Green Bay that Wade Phillips is getting a serious look.
:fishing: Maybe you should live around these parts before you make ridiculous statements.
Adam Schefter reported that he was a strong candidate there due to Thompson's close relationship with his father.

Adam Schefter reported that he was a strong candidate there due to Thompson's close relationship with his father.
Yup. It's been reported by Packer beat writers as well.

Are you serious? There was just an article yesterday in the prezz gazette saying Phillips was coming in for an interview and that Thompson was saying he wasn't doing it just as a favor. Oh and for the record I do "live around these parts". http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_24141275.shtml

And Aaron, I'm in full agreement with you about Phillips. That would be a horrible hire by Thompson. The two do have a history together which is why he's being considered. But no way do I want to see the Packers hire a retread like Wade Phillips.
Come on now, his career record is 48-39 with 3 playoff appearances in his 4 full seasons as a coach. That's a FAR better resume than such "retreads" as Mike Shanahan, and Bill Bellichick.Phillips went 29-19 with a Buffalo squad that was 6-10 before he got there and 3-13 after he left. He want 16-16 with a Denver team that was 8-8 before he got there and 8-8 after he left (coached by two guys who both have a great shot at making the HoF). He also went 2-1 with an Atlanta team that was 3-10 without him. And just look what he's done to SD's defense.

Phillips has never been a bad coach, he's just never been given an honest opportunity. He's been labeled as an "interim" coach more times than anyone else in NFL history. It's about time he got a job without the "interim" tag, so that we can see what he could do.

Users who are viewing this thread