What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Oscars Do-Over: 90-94/ Master Thread (3 Viewers)

Best Picture of 1993

• Jurassic Park

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Schindler's List

Votes: 71 57.7%
  • Philadelphia

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • The Remains of the Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Fugitive

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Groundhog Day

Votes: 16 13.0%

• Total voters
I won’t spoil it but they come up with the absolute description of QT and it made so much more sense of his work for me.
Without spoiling, can I ask if you are a QT fan - or maybe I should phrase it - where do you stand on him?

I know I just posted earlier that I prefer not to think of him - well, that was snark - I am curious about how others feel.

He just never spoke to me, other than the 3 movies I listed above.

Am I misguided?

Without spoiling, can I ask if you are a QT fan - or maybe I should phrase it - where do you stand on him?

I know I just posted earlier that I prefer not to think of him - well, that was snark - I am curious about how others feel.

Am I misguided?
As a person I can’t stand him. As a movie maker, he’s very talented and his movies are usually fun. However, his movies won’t ever make any list of my favorite or best. The Kill Bill films were probably my favorites. 

The Autobiography changed my life more than any other book. Malcolm X, abolitionist Angelina Grimke and Voltaire are my three great historical heroes, mostly because their ultimate self-belief changed the world. Denzel Washington is also verrrrry happy with who he is in a way quite similar to Brother Malcolm, so was the perfect choice to portray him. The rest is movie-making and movie-making puts narrative truth over actual truth, but the spirit of the life is right.
Well crap.  I read the earlier discussion and literally thought, "Hey, here's something I know more about than wikkid!  I can add value!"  My college focus was in particular on 20th century American history and politics.*  And like wikkid, Malcolm X is a hero of mine and someone I've studied a lot.  But once again wikkid summed it up better and more succinctly than I could, so again...I agree with wikkid.

(And I'm pretty happy to learn we share a hero.)

*And even more specifically focused on the civil rights movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well crap.  I read the earlier discussion and literally thought, "Hey, here's something I know more about than wikkid!  I can add value!"  My college focus was in particular on 20th century American history and politics.*  And like wikkid, Malcolm X is a hero of mine and someone I've studied a lot.  But once again wikkid summed it up better and more succinctly than I could, so again...I agree with wikkid.

Awesome, K.

In relation to my question to 80's - bout formal history and such - how was Malcolm treated during your college years?

More fairly than we have found in other areas?

Awesome, K.

In relation to my question to 80's - bout formal history and such - how was Malcolm treated during your college years?

More fairly than we have found in other areas?
I was at Wellesley, so I'm not sure it's representative.  He was revered.

What’s your opinion on the first nine Malcolms?
Good idea; I'll fire up a ranking thread.

You may like this, then. I ran away from home a month into my jr year in HS and didn't return to school til February of my class's senior year. My favorite teacher, a man who played jazz piano & hustled pool til he was 40, then went to school to become a teacher, knew from my first academic go-round that school was always going to be useless to me but didn't want my long absence to hurt my future (i dont even know if there were GEDs then, but Mr Rabin wanted me to graduate w my class). He negotiated an independent study for me that he would proctor which, along with completing my senior classes in 3 months, would allow me enough credits to graduate.

He told me to pick 2 or 3 subjects and write hard, like my life depended on it. I'd never done that. I had spent most of my runaway time on the West Coast (as any smart hobo does) and had been radicalized and impressed ALL to Hell by the Black Panthers, whose breakfast programs i worked at every time they let me. So i wrote hard - two long papers on........wait for it..........The Assassination of Fred Hampton and the Origin & Use of the Word Mother####er. This was a suburban Boston high school. If I had any other proctor, i'd have been assassinated myself instead of graduated. But i've written as hard as i can ever since, for Mr Rabin.

You may like this, then. I ran away from home a month into my jr year in HS and didn't return to school til February of my class's senior year. My favorite teacher, a man who played jazz piano & hustled pool til he was 40, then went to school to become a teacher, knew from my first academic go-round that school was always going to be useless to me but didn't want my long absence to hurt my future (i dont even know if there were GEDs then, but Mr Rabin wanted me to graduate w my class). He negotiated an independent study for me that he would proctor which, along with completing my senior classes in 3 months, would allow me enough credits to graduate.

He told me to pick 2 or 3 subjects and write hard, like my life depended on it. I'd never done that. I had spent most of my runaway time on the West Coast (as any smart hobo does) and had been radicalized and impressed ALL to Hell by the Black Panthers, whose breakfast programs i worked at every time they let me. So i wrote hard - two long papers on........wait for it..........The Assassination of Fred Hampton and the Origin & Use of the Word Mother####er. This was a suburban Boston high school. If I had any other proctor, i'd have been assassinated myself instead of graduated. But i've written as hard as i can ever since, for Mr Rabin.
When I do my thread ranking all of your stories, this one is going to be near the top.   :heart:  

Am I misguided?
Overall, I think he is overrated by the masses.  I get the pull - he writes great dialogue, the movies are fun for the most part, and he has a way to incorporate a kickass soundtrack to his most of his movies.   I do think a few of his movies are great (RD, Jackie, most of Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction).    Like I said in my other post, to me he is just not able to take his movie geekdom to the next level and produce movies that have a feel that are exclusive to him.   As much as I don't love him as much as others, Scorsese is in the similar vein with better execution.  Both he and QT are movie nerds to the utmost, but while Scorsese was able to harness that into movies that have distinct look and feel, QT's movie still just feel like splatter painting of him trying to cram in as many styles as he can - Kill Bill is the worst example of this.  He had a stellar run with his first 3 movies, but then seemed to get in his own way as he tried to prove to the world that he was the biggest movie geek of all and he has watched way cooler b-movies than anybody.   I had hopes from the 2-3 amazing scenes in Inglorious Basterds (opening scene and bar scene notably) that he had one epic movie left in the tank, but Hateful Eight destroyed that for me as he regressed back to the more schlocky stuff that doesn't resonate as much with me.  

...he writes great dialogue,...
Yes. This is what really eventually swayed me towards RD for this poll.

...kickass soundtrack...
👍

Inglorious Basterds
Oh ####! I forgot about this one. I like it too.

like splatter painting of him trying to cram in as many styles as he can - Kill Bill is the worst example of this. 
:hifive:

Regarding the rest - excellent - thanks.

You not only share my opinion of his 4 best movies - (to me - us?) - but you also have explained, much better than I even had in my head - how I feel.

Very glad I am not alone.

Thnx KP.

I think Reservoir Dogs is just ok. Tarantino has some great dialogue (Quarter Pounder in Pulp Fiction comes to mind) but a lot of his dialogue makes me cringe. RD and PF have some really cringe-worthy stuff that I didn't like at the time and really sounds awful now. He strikes me a bit as a guy who writes some things to be edgy and it often comes off as racist or misogynist but he knows he has can write it off as art, as how people really talk and just part of his characters, not him. I just don't care for the guy but I can not deny the entertainment value of his movies. He's art-house/independent Michael Bay. There is no substance to anything he does but it always has the right look and right song. 

... He strikes me a bit as a guy who writes some things to be edgy and it often comes off as racist or misogynist but he knows he has can write it off as art, as how people really talk and just part of his characters, not him.... 
Excellent point. I definitely cringed a lot during my re-watch. 

There is no substance to anything he does but it always has the right look and right song. 
Is this about Bay or QT? 

If QT, could you elaborate a little more. 

The reason I ask, is that a large portion of my RD vote was earned for what I interpreted as deep philosophic subtext. 

I've lived long enough to remember reading way too deep into many things. It is trick of my mind that I have fallen for before. 

Perhaps I am giving too much credit. 

I think Reservoir Dogs is just ok. Tarantino has some great dialogue (Quarter Pounder in Pulp Fiction comes to mind) but a lot of his dialogue makes me cringe. RD and PF have some really cringe-worthy stuff that I didn't like at the time and really sounds awful now. He strikes me a bit as a guy who writes some things to be edgy and it often comes off as racist or misogynist but he knows he has can write it off as art, as how people really talk and just part of his characters, not him. I just don't care for the guy but I can not deny the entertainment value of his movies. He's art-house/independent Michael Bay. There is no substance to anything he does but it always has the right look and right song. 
I'm more than willing to turn QT-bashing duties over to 80s - we had multi-page threads about it on FFA earlier in the decade and i was pretty much the only against. My take was that he was the ultimate fanboy - saw all the babysitter movies of the 80s and learned how to become someone others might think was cool from honking snippets from blaxploitation, kung fu & british gangster flix.

Overall, I think he is overrated by the masses.  I get the pull - he writes great dialogue, the movies are fun for the most part, and he has a way to incorporate a kickass soundtrack to his most of his movies.   I do think a few of his movies are great (RD, Jackie, most of Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction).    Like I said in my other post, to me he is just not able to take his movie geekdom to the next level and produce movies that have a feel that are exclusive to him.   As much as I don't love him as much as others, Scorsese is in the similar vein with better execution.  Both he and QT are movie nerds to the utmost, but while Scorsese was able to harness that into movies that have distinct look and feel, QT's movie still just feel like splatter painting of him trying to cram in as many styles as he can - Kill Bill is the worst example of this.  He had a stellar run with his first 3 movies, but then seemed to get in his own way as he tried to prove to the world that he was the biggest movie geek of all and he has watched way cooler b-movies than anybody.   I had hopes from the 2-3 amazing scenes in Inglorious Basterds (opening scene and bar scene notably) that he had one epic movie left in the tank, but Hateful Eight destroyed that for me as he regressed back to the more schlocky stuff that doesn't resonate as much with me.  
:thumbup:

I think that your take on QT is right on here. And The Hateful Eight was at least one hour too long and a weak rehash of his other films.

I'm more than willing to turn QT-bashing duties over to 80s - we had multi-page threads about it on FFA earlier in the decade and i was pretty much the only against. My take was that he was the ultimate fanboy - saw all the babysitter movies of the 80s and learned how to become someone others might think was cool from honking snippets from blaxploitation, kung fu & british gangster flix.
Yeah. I like what you are saying. 

It's weird. I don't like the guy at all. There are only 4 movies of his that I liked. None of those movies are even close to being considered an all time great on my personal list. 

Yet, I feel like I'm the fan in this very narrow & particular case. 

I'll ask you the same question I asked 80's.

Do you believe I am reading too deeply into my take on RD? 

I could be convinced, I believe - but I'm not yet there. 

No need for deep analysis - yes or no would give me enough to rethink & maybe re-watch (still rented I believe). 

Yeah. I like what you are saying. 

It's weird. I don't like the guy at all. There are only 4 movies of his that I liked. None of those movies are even close to being considered an all time great on my personal list. 

Yet, I feel like I'm the fan in this very narrow & particular case. 

I'll ask you the same question I asked 80's.

Do you believe I am reading too deeply into my take on RD? 

I could be convinced, I believe - but I'm not yet there. 

No need for deep analysis - yes or no would give me enough to rethink & maybe re-watch (still rented I believe). 
i see someone has humped one of the old QT threads because the prevue for Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is out, so you can read all everybody thinks of him in that. Very talented, heartless hack positioned so perfectly in the fanboy zeitgeist that his movies will outlast most of his generation's, no matter how more-deserving. Read the thread fo mo.

i see someone has humped one of the old QT threads because the prevue for Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is out, so you can read all everybody thinks of him in that. Very talented, heartless hack positioned so perfectly in the fanboy zeitgeist that his movies will outlast most of his generation's, no matter how more-deserving. Read the thread fo mo.
Thnx. 

Is this about Bay or QT? 

If QT, could you elaborate a little more. 

The reason I ask, is that a large portion of my RD vote was earned for what I interpreted as deep philosophic subtext. 

I've lived long enough to remember reading way too deep into many things. It is trick of my mind that I have fallen for before. 

Perhaps I am giving too much credit. 
Both. The movies are always cool. They have the right look and the right sound for what they are supposed to be but they always seem a bit soulless and done just for the spectacle of it all. 

Don't look Karma unless you want podcast spoiled 

Inglorious Basterds isn't a movie about WW2. It is a movie about movies about WW2. Kill Bill isn't a Kung-Fu movie, it is a movie about kung-fu movies. QT only sees the world through movies and all his movies are about other movies. Pastiche to the point of kitsch 

Both. The movies are always cool. They have the right look and the right sound for what they are supposed to be but they always seem a bit soulless and done just for the spectacle of it all. 

Don't look Karma unless you want podcast spoiled 

Inglorious Basterds isn't a movie about WW2. It is a movie about movies about WW2. Kill Bill isn't a Kung-Fu movie, it is a movie about kung-fu movies. QT only sees the world through movies and all his movies are about other movies. Pastiche to the point of kitsch 
Thnx. 

I won't comment on it, so as not to spoil. 

Wikkid has directed me to a great thread. I'll read up and report back on my education. It may be a while, so I won't reup the discussion, I'll just say whether I have been swayed on my vote. 

Can they be changed, or does it even matter for your goal? 

👍

Thnx. 

I won't comment on it, so as not to spoil. 

Wikkid has directed me to a great thread. I'll read up and report back on my education. It may be a while, so I won't reup the discussion, I'll just say whether I have been swayed on my vote. 

Can they be changed, or does it even matter for your goal? 

👍
Sure it can be changed. Obviously you can't revote in the poll but one vote wouldn't sway anything at this point anyway. 

Sure it can be changed. Obviously you can't revote in the poll but one vote wouldn't sway anything at this point anyway. 
Thanks again. 

My final thought for this round:

If this were k's Beatles thread, I would not be so anal about my vote. That thread was heavily about personal opinion & subjective experience.  In those situations, I really don't care if I read too deep into something.

I get what I get out of it - regardless of the creators intentions or whether they are even objectively good - however that be defined. As long as it is of value to me, I don't worry too much about the objective perspective. 

Here, as I understand (being new to movie threads), we are attempting to be more objective. In those situations, the creators intentions/goals/etc. matter to me - because part of success is hitting your mark. 

I don't wanna credit something for my mistaken understanding of that process. 

🙂

A lot of his dialog is way too contrived and forced. 

But then a lot of it is as good as 

"Cough up a buck, ya cheap *******, I paid for your ####### breakfast...Never mind what you normally would do. Just cough up your ####### buck like everybody else."

Knowing that there's more to it than what's on the page - it's a vehicle to be driven by the actor he knows is going to deliver that line exactly as he imagined it. And when it plays out on screen, it's pretty magical.

Knowing that there's more to it than what's on the page - it's a vehicle to be driven by the actor he knows is going to deliver that line exactly as he imagined it. And when it plays out on screen, it's pretty magical.
I know I said I had made my final comment for this round ...I apparently lied. 

Now, thanks for this. After our exchange on Siddhartha, I got a high opinion of your opinion when it comes to what I've been thinking about here. 

As I said earlier, I'm currently reading the recently bumped QT thread. I'm still early in but for where I am at, your posts have resonated very close to mine. 

I'm not asking ya to explain any further, cause I've still got more to read. 

But, when I finish my read - if I have more questions, what is the best way to ask. 

Definitely not here, we'll be onto other years. 

Should I just add my questions to the bumped thread, or would that be considered hippling? 

I've still got some things to figure out here. 

Thnx. 

If you're asking me, I don't have a whole lot else to say about Tarrantino. I think he's overrated, but sometimes he nails it. I really like Reservoir Dogs, like True Romance (though that's not 100% QT),  kinda like Jackie Brown, am sick of Pulp Fiction, and the rest of the stuff of his I've seen I find middling to poor.

I think FGB and the Oscars went two for two here. While the FBG voters did not quite call this the runaway that Goodfellas and Silence of the Lambs were, these wins were still decisive. 

1992 Best Picture: Unforgiven

It's a hell of a thing, killing a man.

The Duck of Death

Free Ones 

A sociopathic killer comes back to kill again. That was part of the story of last year’s winner Silence of the Lambs and it is the main plot of this years winner Unforgiven. Lecter stopped killing because he was captured by the law. Munny did so with self-control, sobriety and love. While Will seems more human, he may really be worse. Hannibal Lecter was sick and obsessed with murder. Will Munny never even knew why he killed anyone. Boredom? Thin skinned? It wasn’t even fun for him-  just was something to do. 

While it has major similarities to Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven shares even more with one of the classics of the Western genre: Fred Zinnemann's High Noon. Unforgiven is an anti-High Noon. Gary Cooper's Will Kane was a good man, making a last stand to preserve his own honor and save his town. Clint Eastwood's Will Munny went to threaten the town as a bad man out for a reward. It’s almost like a version of High Noon told from the eyes of Frank Miller.

The magic of movies are that they can take even the scariest of humans and coax out sympathy,interest and admiration. Especially when directed with such care as Eastwood has. 

1993 Best Picture: Schindler’s List

It’s a movie that is so well made and covers such a heavy topic that I don’t think I could do it justice with a review. If you haven’t seen it, see it. If you haven’t seen it in awhile, watch it again. It is one of the few movies that I think every American has to see. 

Sehorn

Voted:  A Few Good Men and Schindler's List

With the first set, I'm now 2-4.  Good picks.

Man, I'm 0-4.
A few of the years  were tough choice for me, but the FBG spoke enough that I wasn't convinced to sway from my original pick. I strongly  considered Malcolm X for 92 though. 

If you're asking me, I don't have a whole lot else to say about Tarrantino. I think he's overrated, but sometimes he nails it. I really like Reservoir Dogs, like True Romance (though that's not 100% QT),  kinda like Jackie Brown, am sick of Pulp Fiction, and the rest of the stuff of his I've seen I find middling to poor.
Ah thnx dude. 

I reread my post and I see that I did a poor job of communicating. 

I'll try to clarify. 

I posted that just to let you know that I liked your view. But, when reading now, I see it sounds like I am asking you how to ask you - specifically - another question. 

My intent was to ask the thread as a whole - "... If I want to ask more questions on the QT topic, what is the best way to go about it?" 

I'm new to some of this etiquette. But, I now know: if I want to learn more about board views on certain topics (QT in this instance), it would be helpful to find existing threads that go deeper into it than a thread like this is designed for. Wikkid pointed me to the QT thread. I'm reading it now. 

What I want to know more about is:

1) if I have a question, should I ask direct it to the general population of the old QT thread? 

2) would that be poor form if it is a topic that has been long dead? 

3) if it is poor etiquette, is there another method that is more appropriate? 

I am asking now, before 80's fires up the next poll, so that I can avoid it when there are better things to discuss. 

Further, if there is a current thread where questions about posting etiquette are addressed, how do I find it? 

It would be better to take these questions there, I suppose, than asking them here. 

I hope that is better. Sorry for the confusion. 

This is good - tight. 👍

Not that the rest ain't, but that quote is nice to look at.

Really nice summation. 
Thanks, just throwing together some thoughts. One of my many New Years Resolutions was just to write about movies or books I read or music I hear. It is a good way to process art and information. It's kind of what I do when I post here on any topic or if I teach something new- work it out as I read, write and repeat.  Learning works best if one puts in effort and interacts with it so I am just trying to grow. 

I never connected Scorsese (I have the hardest time spelling his name) with Tarantino before but you are right. It just hit me hard now as TCM is playing Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore right now. I forgot how the opening scene is in some of crazy color that looks like an old movie. 

I am also having 2nd thoughts about making this a new thread. I am sure it would get another 50 voters but do I care what those voters think if they don't bother to chime in or can't understand the new thread titles? I like the people who do post in here and would welcome others that choose to join, but do I really want anything more? 

I am also having 2nd thoughts about making this a new thread. I am sure it would get another 50 voters but do I care what those voters think if they don't bother to chime in or can't understand the new thread titles? I like the people who do post in here and would welcome others that choose to join, but do I really want anything more? 
New thread for every 2 years. Do it.  

80's, I'm the guy with the absolute least experience, knowledge and wisdom on matters like that, here. 

Thus, listen to me. 

If you like the people here (I do), and they like the way you doing things (I do & firmly believe that everyone else in here does as well - or else they wouldn't be here) - then it seems like we're all having a good time. 

Do what is right for you. 

But, if ya really want my opinion (let's be honest - who doesn't?), I'd keep to your original plan. I'm liking it. And, it sounds like you are too. 

:shrug:

Kind of feel like a jerk for voting for Jurassic Park over Schindler's List, did not even notice it there. "Holocaust Schmallocaust, have you seen these kicking rad dinosaurs??"

I never connected Scorsese (I have the hardest time spelling his name) with Tarantino before but you are right. It just hit me hard now as TCM is playing Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore right now. I forgot how the opening scene is in some of crazy color that looks like an old movie. 
A lot of the realization came from listening to the two do interviews.  Both have an encyclopedic knowledge of film, a seeming photographic memory of stuff, and that rapid fire film geek excitement about movies.  But like I said, Scorsese and other directors that I would consider better that QT are able to harvest that and morph it into their own voice and themes.  QT never seemed to get much past the phase of just regurgitating styles and genres he loved on film.   We know my love for PTA, and I am not about to deny his aping of the opening to Goodfellas at the start of Boogie Nights, and that's cool, but he also is able to have his own vision and themes that run through his movies on top of that.  

I am sure a big part is QT also comes off as a doosh in his interviews and doesn't have the self-realization to know that he is basically just copying and pasting other movies and just adding a kick ### soundtrack.  

Users who are viewing this thread