What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Problem with Jon Stewart (1 Viewer)

matuski

Footballguy
The world needs more of this guy.  So great to see him back on TV.  New show still uses his humor.. but his interviews are AMAZING.

The inate ability to break through to the crux of an argument, break it down into its simplest form, and steadfastly/stubbornly keep the conversation on those simple and intuitive terms.

Watching him handle Yellen is just refreshing, just impressive..... Video.  Even if you disagree, just appreciate the skill of the listening, the follow up, the dog in his focus.

The lack of "gotcha" tactics. 

A serious, accountable back and forth.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might belong in the politics forum pending the responses.

Wasn't meant to be so... I consider Jordan Pederson on the other "side" to be of this ilk.

No. I don’t watch talk shows or read the news anymore. 

I watch sports, drink beer, have sex with my wife and eat BBQ. I’m much happier this way.

Right.. neither do I - because the news and talk shows lost all that is being brought back here.

Actual adult, thought provoking, informative conversations/interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
The world needs more of this guy.  So great to see him back on TV.  New show still uses his humor.. but his interviews are AMAZING.

The inate ability to break through to the crux of an argument, break it down into its simplest form, and steadfastly/stubbornly keep the conversation on those simple and intuitive terms.

Watching him handle Yellen is just refreshing, just impressive..... Video.  Even if you disagree, just appreciate the skill of the listening, the follow up, the dog in his focus.

JS is the only Democrat I would vote for if he ran for president 

No. I don’t watch talk shows or read the news anymore. 

I watch sports, drink beer, have sex with my wife and eat BBQ. I’m much happier this way.
Pretty much the same for me.  I just thought I’d let you know you are out of Scotch.  

i've only seen the youtube clips Apple provides. i'm disappointed, but not surprised i'm disappointed.

here is Stewart's goodbye speech on the Daily Show (for some reason, the clip hasnt been available online for a few years):

Bull#### is everywhere.

There is very little that you will encounter in life that has not been, in some way, infused with bull####; not all of it bad. The general day-to-day organic free-range bull#### is often necessary, or, at the very least, innocuous: "Oh, what a beautiful baby! I'm sure it'll grow into that head!" That kind of bull####, in many ways, provides important social contract fertilizer, which keeps people from making each other cry all day. But then, there's the more pernicious bull####; the premediated, institutional bull#### designed to obscure and distract. Designed by whom? The bull####-ocracy. It comes in three basic flavours:

1. Making bad things sound like good things. "Organic, all-natural cupcakes", because "Factory-made sugar oatmeal balls" doesn't sell. "Patriot Act", because "Are-you-scared-enough-to-let-me-look-at-all-your-phone-records? Act" doesn't sell. So, whenever something's been titled "Freedom, Family, Fairness and Health America", take a good, long sniff. Chances are it's been manufactured in a facility that may contain traces of bull####.

2. Hiding the bad things under mountains of bull####. Complexity. "You know, I would love to download Drizzy's latest Meek Mill diss, but I'm not really interested right now in reading Tolstoy's iTunes agreement. So, I'll just click "Agree", even if it grants Apple prima nocta with my spouse!" Here's another one: simply put, "Banks shouldn't be able to bet your pension money on red" Bull####ly put it's, "Hey, a handful of billionaires can't buy our elections, right? Of course not. They can only pour unlimited, anonymous cash into a 501(c)4 if 50% is devoted to Issue Education, otherwise they'd have to 501(c)6 it, or funnel it openly through a non-campaign coordinating Super PAC, with a quarter- I think they're asleep now, we can sneak out!"

And finally, the bull#### of infinite possibility. These bull####ters cover their unwillingness to act under the guise of unending inquiry. "We can't do anything, because we don't yet know everything." "We cannot take action on climate change until everyone in the world agrees gay marriage vaccines won't cause our children to marry goats who are gonna come for our guns"

But the good news is this: bull####ters have gotten pretty lazy, and their work is easily detected, and looking for it is kind of a pleasant way to pass the time, like an I spy of bull####. So I say to you tonight, friends, the best defense against bull#### is vigilance. So, if you smell something, say something.

that was Stewart's strength - dont matter the side, attack the baloney cuz the baloney is funny AND reveals the truth.

we coulda used that since he left the show. Jimmy Kimmel is the first to get the approach right - rather than countering or ridiculing, treating these walking political cartoons like moneyed people-on-the-subway & letting them show themselves for what they are - and it's only been in the last few weeks that he's found his rhythm with that. the baloney abides, dood - our anger makes us but equal fools.

unfortunately for us, the Problem with Jon Stewart is that he's angry now. his time inside the system so admirably lobbying against crooked nonsense to get the heros of 9/11 their due has embittered him, weaponized his humor and, therefore, made him just another guy in line to let outrage fly at what we've allowed ourselves to become. glad he's back, wish he was better at it.

wikkidpissah said:
i've only seen the youtube clips Apple provides. i'm disappointed, but not surprised i'm disappointed.

here is Stewart's goodbye speech on the Daily Show (for some reason, the clip hasnt been available online for a few years):

that was Stewart's strength - dont matter the side, attack the baloney cuz the baloney is funny AND reveals the truth.

we coulda used that since he left the show. Jimmy Kimmel is the first to get the approach right - rather than countering or ridiculing, treating these walking political cartoons like moneyed people-on-the-subway & letting them show themselves for what they are - and it's only been in the last few weeks that he's found his rhythm with that. the baloney abides, dood - our anger makes us but equal fools.

unfortunately for us, the Problem with Jon Stewart is that he's angry now. his time inside the system so admirably lobbying against crooked nonsense to get the heros of 9/11 their due has embittered him, weaponized his humor and, therefore, made him just another guy in line to let outrage fly at what we've allowed ourselves to become. glad he's back, wish he was better at it.

I would agree if you are talking about his monologues.

His interviews?  Another story - his skills supercede anything you see currently and harken back to a more accountable  time.

i'm surprised you like him.  good on ya.  he has always come from a place of common sense.  which ain't that common...voltaire.  

we need to fix gerrymandering and impose term limits for all govt positions.

I would agree if you are talking about his monologues.

His interviews?  Another story - his skills supercede anything you see currently and harken back to a more accountable  time.

of what i saw, he totally puffed the Yellen interview. guarondamtee he had a LOT of asides for his seg producers after failing to attack the "art of the possible" baloney that has greased the slippery slopes of the Money River for the last geneartion. that's the effect of his being worn down by po-faced legibots in his years advocating for the first-responders. the ultimate bull#### is being sucked in by ANY of it - better people have proven that even a toe in that torrent is enough to be flushed of good intention

boy he is getting hammered by all the Dems that expected him to slay Donnieboy.

he actually hammered on Biden a lot more - I think he was trying to address the concerns head-on, it would be a mistake for him to not be balanced.

he actually hammered on Biden a lot more - I think he was trying to address the concerns head-on, it would be a mistake for him to not be balanced.

Yea he was harder on Joe. But the whole theme last night seemed to be about age, and, like it or not, Biden is currently giving more direct material there. It'll change as time goes on and "age" isn't the only theme. Good first show back.

The hacks from the left and the right absolutely hate him. Thats how you know he's on the right track.

Id join his campaign if he ran for President.

The hacks from the left and the right absolutely hate him. Thats how you know he's on the right track.

How can anybody hate a man that dedicated a part of his life valiantly fighting for a bill to cover health care costs and benefits for the first responders of 9/11? That's just gross.

HE'S BACK!!!

MONDAY NIGHTS - COMEDY CENTRAL
Still the best bit I have ever seen

That’s funny but I still have the same rebuttal as I do anybody with the same argument. I don’t care if it’s not pizza, it’s still effing delicious.

How can anybody hate a man that dedicated a part of his life valiantly fighting for a bill to cover health care costs and benefits for the first responders of 9/11? That's just gross.
Exactly.....I joked about voting for him all those years before his actionable work....his actionable work made me sit up, take notice, and think about what he could do. He was fantastic in that situation.

You must be new here, welcome to America my friend! If you came across the border in TX, you should already have a new phone and debit card, enjoy! If you came across up north I'm afraid you'll need to exit and re-enter through Mexico.

Yeah, the world does need more of Jon Stewart, and it's so wonderful to have him back. The world is better off for it.

This may be better off in the dog thread, but IMO, only Stewart could speak the heart of every dog lover this way.
Man, onions abound here...
Oh man

😭
For sure... I sent it to my wife and hopped on a meeting. An hour later she "yells out" to me and comes in the room in tears. We have several dogs and cats and as they've all gotten older (except the new one) we've lost a few in the last year or so, including one of the cats last week. She "loved" the video, as far as being able to relate, but it was probably too soon for her. But then again she would have had the same reaction a year from now.

Yeah, the world does need more of Jon Stewart, and it's so wonderful to have him back. The world is better off for it.

This may be better off in the dog thread, but IMO, only Stewart could speak the heart of every dog lover this way.
Oh, COME ON!!!

Some of us have to be able to function at work today and don't need to be watching this kind of stuff.

Now I just want to go home and play with Moose.

"In a world of good boys, he was the best."

Users who are viewing this thread