What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The RB3 section of the Train/Redraft, there's going to be a couple of them that hit RB2+ status during the year (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Let's go to the section of the Draft from about RB20-30, these are typically the 3rd RB that is selected for a lot of teams, if you waited on RB as some of us now do, you better have your ducks in a row on who you want here because I can also see some guys grabbing 2-3-4 of these RBs in Rounds 4-7 range. There is a major drop off at WR IMHO in these rounds but I see some upside at RB

20- Alvin Kamara
21- Cam Akers
22- Alex Mattison
23- D. White
24- James Connor
25-JK Dobbins
26-D.Swift
27-D.Cook
28-Javonte Williams
29-I. Pacheco
30-James Cook

I would rank them differently in here but it's all going to come down to tolerance of risk
Of these names, the ones I like the least are in the top of this list, Akers, White, Connor and to some degree JKD are not that appealing to me
Mattison is a little pedestrian
Kamara is a solid choice for those that can get away with him not playing for 3 weeks, if he happens to be your RB3, good move.
I like the upside of Swift in Philly, sometimes a change of scenery does a RB good
Both Dalvin Cook and his younger brother James Cook look appealing with the offense around them
I thought Javonte Williams was going a lot higher, think he might still need to ease into things in Denver this year. Might have a bigger 2nd Half of the season.
Pacheco and the KC starting RBs, I'm not chasing them this year. I've done it other seasons and it doesn't work for me.

How do you feel about these guys and the RB3 section of the Draft?

Last edited:
I expect James Cook to be a RB1, barring injury. Mattison should also have alot of room to work with the improvements in the passing game. I feel really good about both of those guys for sure.

For a RB3, a pretty good back in a volume situation is the ideal. That's squarely Mattison territory. I expect him to finish the season, barring injury in the RB15-18 range based on volume and lack of competition.

I'll be one of the ones that is shooting to get 3 out of this grouping after going heavy WR/TE early in drafts. I think right now I prefer Dobbins, White, Pacheco, JCook, Swift. I don't believe that Gainwell is going to be the lead back in Philly.

Also fun nugget that I saw on Twitter/X but haven't seen mentioned here. Dalvin Cook's middle name is James, and James Cook's middle name is Dalvin. #TheMoreYouKnow

For a RB3, a pretty good back in a volume situation is the ideal. That's squarely Mattison territory. I expect him to finish the season, barring injury in the RB15-18 range based on volume and lack of competition.
I don't think the Vikings can afford to go into the regular season without adding to their running back room. My guess is they sign Hunt. If they do, that should drop Mattison about 8 to 10 spots.

JMHO, but as much as I respect his 'angry' running style, I will never stop believing that Pacheco is anything more than JAG in an optimal circumstance that could change on a dime. I'll always let someone else be right about him.

Kamara and JCook are my guys in this group, and I've come around on Conner, too, after witnessing his 22 campaign.

Rams are going to be hideous and Akers is going to get smoked, I think.
Mattison pedestrian, agree. Competent stable behind him.
RWhite, not good enough to overcome situation.
Dobbins, nice piece, but still a piece.
Swift, not as nice a piece. Many eating pie.
DCook, OLine, Breece looming has me spooked.
JWilliams, waiting til next year. Perine underrated. Payton a committee guy.

I don't think the Vikings can afford to go into the regular season without adding to their running back room. My guess is they sign Hunt. If they do, that should drop Mattison about 8 to 10 spots.
I won't discount the possibility that the Vikings sign a high profile FA, but there's been almost no rumblings about it this summer. Seems like Hunt has been connected with every other RB needy team except the Vikings. I expect they will roll with what they've got and Mattison will get ~275 carries this season with Tyson Chandler filling in the RB2 role (75ish carries) and the other back(s) getting the remainder.

I think every team I draft ends up with Mattison. He's not a special talent by any means, but he's ok, and between that offense, and his role in in, its hard to see him not being a solid RB2.

Good floor play, volume should be decent. Not sure he's got a ton of upside. After I have built out the foundation I tend to swing for the fences a bit more and take risks on high upside guys. Steady Eddie guys make you feel good week to week but they don't win the week for you. I want to focus on guys who might far exceed their ADP (& they usually have an equal chance to fail spectacularly.) Guys like Conner, Mattison or Montgomery (@Ministry of Pain isn't he squarely in the middle of this grouping?) will probably hit their ADP but I doubt they exceed it by all that much.

I foresee a lot of guys in this group who are probably going to underperform, and only a couple who have the potential to be a league winner.

Let's go to the section of the Draft from about RB20-30, these are typically the 3rd RB that is selected for a lot of teams, if you waited on RB as some of us now do, you better have your ducks in a row on who you want here because I can also see some guys grabbing 2-3-4 of these RBs in Rounds 4-7 range. There is a major drop off at WR IMHO in these rounds but I see some upside at RB

20- Alvin Kamara
21- Cam Akers
22- Alex Mattison
23- D. White
24- James Connor
25-JK Dobbins
26-D.Swift
27-D.Cook
28-Javonte Williams
29-I. Pacheco
30-James Cook

I would rank them differently in here but it's all going to come down to tolerance of risk
Of these names, the ones I like the least are in the top of this list, Akers, White, Connor and to some degree JKD are not that appealing to me
Mattison is a little pedestrian
Kamara is a solid choice for those that can get away with him not playing for 3 weeks, if he happens to be your RB3, good move.
I like the upside of Swift in Philly, sometimes a change of scenery does a RB good
Both Dalvin Cook and his younger brother James Cook look appealing with the offense around them
I thought Javonte Williams was going a lot higher, think he might still need to ease into things in Denver this year. Might have a bigger 2nd Half of the season.
Pacheco and the KC starting RBs, I'm not chasing them this year. I've done it other seasons and it doesn't work for me.

How do you feel about these guys and the RB3 section of the Draft?
I cant wrap my head around any of these, honestly. Ok, Kamara I get, of course. Cam Akers?? seriously people are considering drafting this guy? Ty Chandler is thisclose to sttealing that starting gig from Mattison. do we really think mattison is going to last in this role?? James Connor? a mediocre RB on the NFLs worst team? I'll pass, thanks. JK Dobbins? I mean, he's full of injuries, made of glass, no thanks. I will say Cook at 30 is a STEAL - I have him as a bonafide top 10 RB in 2023. Pacheco is going to be a bust, I don't like RBs with fried shoulders. Same goes for D. Cook. We all watched Godzilla in the 70s, we all know what the 3 headed monster Ghidorah does. I think Philly has like the same monster with RBs and they plan to use the all. no thanks. OF the Rbs you list in 20-30, I'm more inclined to take a shot at charbonnet in that zone. I pretty confident michael carter will be traded and might make his presence known.maybe not a 20-30 pick, but he's going somewhere jets have way too many good RB to not trade him for draft picks. zeke might not get 600 or more yards, but he's just as likely to pound out 10+ total TDs, may a heck of a lot more. The #2 RB in Big D is a guaranteed 20-30 RB - no way pollard carries the ball more than 200 times. he never has, actually. Are we missing the boat on AJ Dillon?

I like the situation with Kamara. Some say he's past his expiration date, but he should still have something left in the tank.

James Cook is in a great situation, if Buffalo would ever hand the ball off. If anything just to protect Josh Allen.

When it comes to Javonte Adams, I'm a doubting Thomas. I'll believe he's recovered from that knee injury when I see it for myself.

D Swift, great situation. He's worth investing in as Penny can't stay healthy, and all those sweet, sweet PPR points.

With Mattison, I can't help but think of all those RBs that Mike Shanahan could get 1000 yds out of. Could this system do the same with Mattison?

With Akers, just gotta admit that I'm ignorant about the situation. Last year it was so evident that the Rams mortgaged the farm to win their Super Bowl. Who are they going to be this year?

Pacheco... keep hearing that Prince is better. Will pass.

Dalvin Cook - just gotta think he will fit in well with that offense, There's just question about how touches will be distributed.

I think every team I draft ends up with Mattison. He's not a special talent by any means, but he's ok, and between that offense, and his role in in, its hard to see him not being a solid RB2.

Good floor play, volume should be decent. Not sure he's got a ton of upside. After I have built out the foundation I tend to swing for the fences a bit more and take risks on high upside guys. Steady Eddie guys make you feel good week to week but they don't win the week for you. I want to focus on guys who might far exceed their ADP (& they usually have an equal chance to fail spectacularly.) Guys like Conner, Mattison or Montgomery (@Ministry of Pain isn't he squarely in the middle of this grouping?) will probably hit their ADP but I doubt they exceed it by all that much.

I foresee a lot of guys in this group who are probably going to underperform, and only a couple who have the potential to be a league winner.
I think it will be hard to find a player here that is an every week starter BUT many times the way to fill the RB2 is with a platoon of guys.
Kamara, Swift, Cook and Cook are 4 names on this list of 10 or 11 that I like enough to try and piece together here.

I like the situation with Kamara. Some say he's past his expiration date, but he should still have something left in the tank.

James Cook is in a great situation, if Buffalo would ever hand the ball off. If anything just to protect Josh Allen.

When it comes to Javonte Adams, I'm a doubting Thomas. I'll believe he's recovered from that knee injury when I see it for myself.

D Swift, great situation. He's worth investing in as Penny can't stay healthy, and all those sweet, sweet PPR points.

With Mattison, I can't help but think of all those RBs that Mike Shanahan could get 1000 yds out of. Could this system do the same with Mattison?

With Akers, just gotta admit that I'm ignorant about the situation. Last year it was so evident that the Rams mortgaged the farm to win their Super Bowl. Who are they going to be this year?

Pacheco... keep hearing that Prince is better. Will pass.

Dalvin Cook - just gotta think he will fit in well with that offense, There's just question about how touches will be distributed.

-Agree on Kamara, you have to grab him before the others and you lose the first 3 games, 1/4 of the schedule for most.
-Agree on James Cook, have a feeling he will be part of my RB2'Flex platoon.
-Javonte Williams is what you meant, and I am very gun shy with that injury, new offense, New Sheriff, Old Sheriff, something's rotten in Denver right now.
-Both Swift and Penny are walking medical reports.something always is wrong but both get a change of scenery and I don't think they will over use either of them.
I believe Swift has a chance to right his career

-Mattiosn is a JAG for me right now. I'm interested in Chandler though.
-I don't bellieve in the Rams, not much faith in Akers, he expressed he wanted a trade. I don't trust the situation.
-Pacheco, agreed.
-I like D Cook early in the season and if he does well, I think his role will be solid all year. Hall will still get plenty of touches. They're trying to win a Super Bowl, they don't care about our line ups.

I think it will be hard to find a player here that is an every week starter BUT many times the way to fill the RB2 is with a platoon of guys.
Kamara, Swift, Cook and Cook are 4 names on this list of 10 or 11 that I like enough to try and piece together here.
I feel like so many people (myself included) fall into that trap - gotta draft a solid RB2 to feel good about your team, and how often does your mid/end of season RB2 end up coming from the wire, or an emerging rookie/backup that we didn't see coming? RB2 is the definitive slot to punt on a redraft team because it almost always becomes a revolving door of different guys...

I feel like so many people (myself included) fall into that trap - gotta draft a solid RB2 to feel good about your team, and how often does your mid/end of season RB2 end up coming from the wire, or an emerging rookie/backup that we didn't see coming? RB2 is the definitive slot to punt on a redraft team because it almost always becomes a revolving door of different guys...

yeah this happens often - you get steady production early on but there's little upside for the stretch run & playoffs

better off taking swing after swing at higher upside plays - they won't all work out, and that's OK, you're just trying to find players who will massively outperform their ADP

guys that return their ADP value but never go off leave you with a mediocre team

I had Herbert last year and he flashed. He was ripping it in the Bears first pre-season game (I know, it's just preseason). But the kid had some serious burst, good hands, and he plays fast. I'd take him ahead of a lot of these guys.

I had Herbert last year and he flashed. He was ripping it in the Bears first pre-season game (I know, it's just preseason). But the kid had some serious burst, good hands, and he plays fast. I'd take him ahead of a lot of these guys.
Excellent name Scooby, I can't understand why folks are sleeping on him, he's definitely on my radar and I think makes an ideal part of a platoon for RB2/3 and Flex options.
5th Rd pick 2 years ago, guy has only been in the league 2 seasons and he's battled thru some injuries, last season was rougher than his rookie year.

730 rush yds, 4 TDs and 5.7 ypc, that's incredible and he missed a big chunk of the season down the stretch.
Only targeted 28 times in 2 seasons, still caught 23 of them, not sure why he isn't more involved in the passing game, probably has to stay in and block, bad OL.
Yeah, I like him and he could easily total 1,000 yds rush/rec, TD total 6-8, would make him a steal where he sits right now.
I wish he could be a reliable 15 touch a week guy, that would be plenty of Herbert.

-I also don't see a current name on that roster that has more upside than he does. Things could change if Chicago decides to trade for a RB but right now, Herbert has the Mic

James Cook to me is easy MVP of this list. If you factor in ADP even moreso. Harris will spell him, but that's the case with any RB. Josh Allen getting hurt last year I believe will slow down some of that running and hero ball. I expect more check downs this year and Cook in space is a beast.

Kamara is finding his way to several of my teams. I am not bothered at all by 3 game suspension. If drafting Kamara, just make sure you have another guy who starts and play him the first 3. Shark move may be checking the early season schedule of your potentials there. By week 4 you have a proven stud who has looked spry this pre-season.

As long as the Vikings don't bring in anybody before week 1, Mattison is an easy target as well. That offense is going to move the ball, and Mattison has been a stud in every game Dalvin has missed over the last couple years. Obviously being the primary guy is different, but if he holds up he is going to put up consistent numbers.

Kahlil Herbert is on most of my teams as well. He is the unquestioned starter, and has never not looked awesome with the ball in his hands. Don't overthink it and you can get him in round 8ish.

James Cook to me is easy MVP of this list. If you factor in ADP even moreso. Harris will spell him, but that's the case with any RB. Josh Allen getting hurt last year I believe will slow down some of that running and hero ball. I expect more check downs this year and Cook in space is a beast.

Kamara is finding his way to several of my teams. I am not bothered at all by 3 game suspension. If drafting Kamara, just make sure you have another guy who starts and play him the first 3. Shark move may be checking the early season schedule of your potentials there. By week 4 you have a proven stud who has looked spry this pre-season.

As long as the Vikings don't bring in anybody before week 1, Mattison is an easy target as well. That offense is going to move the ball, and Mattison has been a stud in every game Dalvin has missed over the last couple years. Obviously being the primary guy is different, but if he holds up he is going to put up consistent numbers.

Kahlil Herbert is on most of my teams as well. He is the unquestioned starter, and has never not looked awesome with the ball in his hands. Don't overthink it and you can get him in round 8ish.
Big fan of Cook, especially after I put this thread in motion.
I did a similar one for WRs 5th thru 9th/10th Round

To me, if you don't know who you are wanting in the middle rounds, makes it harder to select in the 1st 4 rounds where you can't afford to miss much.
I might be sliding James Cook up a round or two
Especially if I am on one of the ends. I'm drafting either end of Rd 1 or next to last in a lot of mine, punishment for winning last year.

1-Chubb-RB
2-AJBrown-WR
3-J.Gibbs-RB
4-C.Ridley-WR
5-T.Lawrence-QB
6-D.Swift-RB Philly OL looking Top 3-5
7-J.Cook-RB Bills offense is easy to like, just hasn't quite hit at RB
8-J.Dotson WR

You can keep playing mix and match, change out the QB and go another way, somebody besides Gibbs in the 3rd, maybe you prefer Tee Higgins around there, make a trifecta at WR. So many ways you can build the team

the problem with James Cook , if there is one, is that Buff has not looked good this preseason. Doesn't mean they won't snap out of it when real games come along, but I'm beginning to get worried. I'm also seeing the same thing with the Bengals. worried these teams are going to be 'off' this year.
K. Herbert is going to be a stud hes big shifty and fast. The o-line is really good. Fields ripped off a collection of long TDs last season. That number gets cut in half this year at a minimum simply because the number is unsustainable. Enter Herbert. he has top 10 RB potential.

I have Javonte W. in a dynasty league, actively trying to trade him. The whole offense scares me. he's going to be ok , but I'll bee the 'burst' is missing. this is a bad team destined to win no more than 4-5 games. good RBs don't come from bad teams.

by the end of the season we'll all be saying that Tyjae Spears, Tank Bigsby, Jaylen Warren should have been selected in these rounds instead of Cook and the others. I'm targeting these guys instead.

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of love around Pacheco.

Alot of people are going to start doing the math on Kamara and I see a late draft season ascent out of this range which takes away the value you're getting with him in it.

Mattison feels like this years Jamaal Williams sans the ridiculous TD totals, but aside from injury, I think it'll be pretty hard for him to not outperform draft position. At the same time, I could see that happening and most owners still being quite meh about him.

Which is why you draft Kamara there, weather the suspension, and then reap the rewards.

Users who are viewing this thread