What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Real Official wildcard game 2 *** Steeler Vs Bengals *** (1 Viewer)

As a matter of fact, here is a shot of Porter after that when he's talking to the ref as they're leading Brown off the field. Notice Dingleberry going up to Porter an bumping him in the back.

Bungles going to Bungle.
Porter is not any better than the ####### Bengal players, he's not even playing in the game. Get the hell off the field.
Au contraire, he kept his composure

:penalty:
Exactly. Porter, while not out there simply to instigate an additional 15 yard penalty, by keeping his composer, he assisted in the easy FG because a moron (Jones) on the opposing team stepped his game up. His game being stupidity that is. He got owned by the Steelers. He doesn't even realize yet how they used his ignorance against him & took him to school. Teams should have a coach that teaches how to get under the other team's skin to get penalties. You can capitalize on morons like Jones and Burfict.
Who wants to watch games come down to stuff like this?
I'm fine with it. You can draft and sign character, or you can live with the consequences whether it be Burfict, Jones, Manziel, Hernandez, or Hardy.Don't draft guys who must have purple drank, who can't keep their whoring confined to women 18 years old and older. Don't draft guys who have crews or who want to keep it real with their homies back in the hood. Don't draft roid ragers or guys that want to hot tub with high school chicks. Yeah, many of them can play, but so can other guys, guys who will not cripple your salary cap because they were too stupid to get a designated driver.
Big Ben fits in your categories of people not to draft and I'd say he's pretty damn irreplaceable.
Burfict = James Harrison 6 years ago. Short memories these Pittsburghians have...
Even assuming he was, I'd hope the Steeler fan base wouldn't defend him when his bafoonery cost them a playoff game.

It's a fine line to walk. I personally am not too likely to ##### about defenders taking huge head shots at guys -- either those on my team or on opposing teams. I just don't have a ton of respect for players taking the shot, then crying about the flag afterwards. It's pretty freaking clear that those types of hits are going to draw some laundry nowadays. Price is worth paying to set the tone early in the game, IMO. But don't take the shot then cry about the penalty / fine / suspension afterwards.
I dont recall Burfict, or anybody else, for that matter complaining much about that penalty. It was pretty clear cut.

As a matter of fact, here is a shot of Porter after that when he's talking to the ref as they're leading Brown off the field. Notice Dingleberry going up to Porter an bumping him in the back.

Bungles going to Bungle.
Porter is not any better than the ####### Bengal players, he's not even playing in the game. Get the hell off the field.

Exactly. Porter, while not out there simply to instigate an additional 15 yard penalty, by keeping his composer, he assisted in the easy FG because a moron (Jones) on the opposing team stepped his game up. His game being stupidity that is. He got owned by the Steelers. He doesn't even realize yet how they used his ignorance against him & took him to school. Teams should have a coach that teaches how to get under the other team's skin to get penalties. You can capitalize on morons like Jones and Burfict.
I'm fine with it. You can draft and sign character, or you can live with the consequences whether it be Burfict, Jones, Manziel, Hernandez, or Hardy.Don't draft guys who must have purple drank, who can't keep their whoring confined to women 18 years old and older. Don't draft guys who have crews or who want to keep it real with their homies back in the hood. Don't draft roid ragers or guys that want to hot tub with high school chicks. Yeah, many of them can play, but so can other guys, guys who will not cripple your salary cap because they were too stupid to get a designated driver.
Big Ben fits in your categories of people not to draft and I'd say he's pretty damn irreplaceable.
Burfict = James Harrison 6 years ago. Short memories these Pittsburghians have...
Even assuming he was, I'd hope the Steeler fan base wouldn't defend him when his bafoonery cost them a playoff game.
Were you not around?

It's a fine line to walk. I personally am not too likely to ##### about defenders taking huge head shots at guys -- either those on my team or on opposing teams. I just don't have a ton of respect for players taking the shot, then crying about the flag afterwards. It's pretty freaking clear that those types of hits are going to draw some laundry nowadays. Price is worth paying to set the tone early in the game, IMO. But don't take the shot then cry about the penalty / fine / suspension afterwards.
I dont recall Burfict, or anybody else, for that matter complaining much about that penalty. It was pretty clear cut.
Both penalties were absolutely clear cut. Yet people are crying.

Bungles going to Bungle.

Fan bases cheer for whatever player gets them wins. Steeler fans are no different than any other group of fans.

Can we all stop pretending that Porter had any intentions of checking on Brown? He was on the other side of the field where Bengals players were talking to a ref. He had a plan, knew what he was doing and executed it perfectly. Did nobody see the Steelers player jump like a kindergartener when the flag flew? They knew exactly what they were doing.
Watch it again... As brown is helped up by 3 trainers, porter is standing right behind the third trainer and burfict was to his left... Burfict reaches out to touch brown on the shoulder (presumably to make sure he's ok) and in the process is kinda leaning over the third attendant/trainer who is standing behind brown... That attendant (probably thinking burficts intentions aren't good) kind of pushes burficts right arm away and as burfict steps back his arm gets real close to porters face/right shoulder area... Joey starts jawing with burfict at that point (prolly talking before that too) and burfict kind of walks around to the front of porter and then saunters to joeys left side... Joey continues jawing and turns to his left which happens to be toward the Bengal sideline... At this point brown and the attendants are closer to sideline and now joey is kind of surrounded by Bengals... Wallace gillberry (not jones) initially bumps into joey from behind and a few refs hustle toward the grouping just as the camera feed gets switched to marvin Lewis on the sideline... From there you can't see much until they show Adam Jones bumping into ref as he tries to get to joey....Should porter be on the field... Prolly not... But from what I saw a coach was surrounded by many opposing team members and as the refs tried to keep the peace pac man decided he needed to make his presence known

Can't really say much more than that
Don't know why, but reading your post invoked thoughts of the Zapruder film being discussed in Oliver Stone's "JFK" movie.

The Steelers homerism in this thread is hilarious.
Would you say it's more or less funny than this?
Why is emotion such a problem for you?
It's not. I am enjoying a gamut of positive emotions watching him cry.
If only your mother had held you when you were younger...
You seem to be taking this beat down pretty hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone was beat down it was Antonio Brown

Not really, he's playing next week. Better luck next year, princess.

Again, I don't think people are saying that they weren't penalties. People wanted Porter flagged as well.

Again, I don't think people are saying that they weren't penalties. People wanted Porter flagged as well.
And if the Bengals had been flagged when half of their sideline came on the field throwing temper tantrums after the hit on Bernard, there may have been a case for that. Funny, no one was complaining that those coaches should've drawn a penalty. Some people only wanted Porter flagged to offset Pac Man's stupidity, and nobody would've said a word about it otherwise.

Or how about the 13 other coaches that were on the field during Brown's injury timeout per Mike Pereira's.

But the referees had already been fine with Porter being on the field because of the injury to Brown, and they had already made it clear that trash talking was going to be tolerated and not penalized. Then Pac Man had to go and make it physical instead... and he didn't even get the penalty for contacting Porter. He got it for contacting the ref.

And if the Bengals had been flagged when half of their sideline came on the field throwing temper tantrums after the hit on Bernard, there may have been a case for that. Funny, no one was complaining that those coaches should've drawn a penalty. Some people only wanted Porter flagged to offset Pac Man's stupidity, and nobody would've said a word about it otherwise.

Or how about the 13 other coaches that were on the field during Brown's injury timeout per Mike Pereira's.

But the referees had already been fine with Porter being on the field because of the injury to Brown, and they had already made it clear that trash talking was going to be tolerated and not penalized. Then Pac Man had to go and make it physical instead... and he didn't even get the penalty for contacting Porter. He got it for contacting the ref.
Common sense 1, Crybabies 0

And if the Bengals had been flagged when half of their sideline came on the field throwing temper tantrums after the hit on Bernard, there may have been a case for that. Funny, no one was complaining that those coaches should've drawn a penalty. Some people only wanted Porter flagged to offset Pac Man's stupidity, and nobody would've said a word about it otherwise.Or how about the 13 other coaches that were on the field during Brown's injury timeout per Mike Pereira's.

Porter was nowhere near Brown when the flag occurred. He approached a group of Bengal players away from where Brown was being attended to. He had one reason to do what he did and he executed it perfectly. If he was checking on Brown and the Bengals went after him, you'd be right. We he does get a fine, this will all be confirmed. :blackdot:

And if the Bengals had been flagged when half of their sideline came on the field throwing temper tantrums after the hit on Bernard, there may have been a case for that. Funny, no one was complaining that those coaches should've drawn a penalty. Some people only wanted Porter flagged to offset Pac Man's stupidity, and nobody would've said a word about it otherwise.Or how about the 13 other coaches that were on the field during Brown's injury timeout per Mike Pereira's.

Porter was nowhere near Brown when the flag occurred. He approached a group of Bengal players away from where Brown was being attended to. He had one reason to do what he did and he executed it perfectly. If he was checking on Brown and the Bengals went after him, you'd be right. We he does get a fine, this will all be confirmed. :blackdot:
What you're saying is factually incorrect. It was discussed pages ago and confirmed on the game tape.

He was kneeling with Brown the entire time he was on the ground, and he was walking back to the sideline right next to the Steelers trainer past a group of Bengals. That's when Burfict stuck his arm out in front of him to pat Brown on the shoulder. That's what cut Porter off from the trainers and Brown, and then and ONLY then was he surrounded by Bengals. He didn't seek them out or initiate contact. They shared words, and as Joey was backing away, Gilberry bumped him from behind. The ref was trying to separate them, and that's when Pac Man jumped in.

I'd suggest you look at that video before assuming anything else. Porter probably deserves a fine regardless for engaging in trash talk with players.

If you think Porter was out there to instigate, I would urge people to watch this video from around 9:50 to around 10:11

It starts with Joey Porter at the bottom of the screen, walking across the field next to the Steelers trainer.
You see Burfict cut him off to pat Brown on the shoulder and a Steelers trainer pushing his hand away, which cuts Porter off from the group.

Then and ONLY then is he surrounded by Bengals. He didn't seek out the attention.

As Porter continues on, you can be SURE there's some talking going both ways. He even turns around walking backwards, with both sides talking.
And then at 10:11 or so, Gilberry comes in from behind and bumps Porter.
The ref tries to separate everyone, and Pac Man does his thing.

People have this misconception that he went out there to find Bengals players. The tape proves otherwise. He very well may deserve a fine for opening his mouth at all, but intentional or not, he baited the Bengals into doing something stupid.

And it doesn't matter if you think he should've been out there. He had permission from the refs to be there. Given that Pereira said 13 different coaches were on the field at that moment and the Bengals weren't penalized earlier in the game when the freaked out on Bernard's hit, the refs treated the situation exactly as expected, including Pac Man's reaction.

Pure class.

What you're saying is factually incorrect. It was discussed pages ago and confirmed on the game tape.He was kneeling with Brown the entire time he was on the ground, and he was walking back to the sideline right next to the Steelers trainer past a group of Bengals. That's when Burfict stuck his arm out in front of him to pat Brown on the shoulder. That's what cut Porter off from the trainers and Brown, and then and ONLY then was he surrounded by Bengals. He didn't seek them out or initiate contact. They shared words, and as Joey was backing away, Gilberry bumped him from behind. The ref was trying to separate them, and that's when Pac Man jumped in.

I'd suggest you look at that video before assuming anything else. Porter probably deserves a fine regardless for engaging in trash talk with players.
Protip - Big John doesn't give a crap what happened. He is on a fishing trip...while rubbing ointment on his hurt butt.

But, but, but... Deion "I've never had a late (or early, or on-time) hit" Sanders said Burfict didn't do anything wrong!?!?

(3 seems a bit steep if Beckham only got 1. But, Burfict doesn't make the league nearly as much $ as Beckham.)
I'm guessing past transgressions played a part
ding ding

The video also shows a Bengal player in the 90s with his helmet off purposely bump into the back of Porter that I missed during the game

Yeah, Gilberry.

Porter was out there with the referees OK, like it or not. The video shows that the Bengals initiated the confrontation and the only reason he was surrounded by them is because Burfict cut him off from Brown and the trainers as they walked towards the Steelers sideline (not intentionally from what I can tell). And even when the jawing back and forth earned no penalties, Pac Man is the only one who made it physical.

But people will continue to spout the same BS they always do. The video shows what happened. I do think there's a chance that Porter gets fined just for taking part in the trash talking though.

What you're saying is factually incorrect. It was discussed pages ago and confirmed on the game tape.He was kneeling with Brown the entire time he was on the ground, and he was walking back to the sideline right next to the Steelers trainer past a group of Bengals. That's when Burfict stuck his arm out in front of him to pat Brown on the shoulder. That's what cut Porter off from the trainers and Brown, and then and ONLY then was he surrounded by Bengals. He didn't seek them out or initiate contact. They shared words, and as Joey was backing away, Gilberry bumped him from behind. The ref was trying to separate them, and that's when Pac Man jumped in.

Protip - Big John doesn't give a crap what happened. He is on a fishing trip...while rubbing ointment on his hurt butt.
Soothing relief. :lmao:

I'm a giants fan. So I'll need more than luck.

Or not.

Or not.
Maybe, he has been reported to be playing from local media but ESPN has some "sources" saying otherwise.

James Harrison has 17 Personal Foul/Roughing penalties over his 12 year career.

Vontaze Burfict has 16 Personal Foul/Roughing penalties in just 4 seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
treat88 said:
BigJohn said:
James Harrison has 17 Personal Foul/Roughing penalties over his 12 year career.

Vontaze Burfict has 16 Personal Foul/Roughing penalties in just 4 seasons.
There's no room for facts here. Please move along.

dparker713 said:
Chef Boyardee said:
dparker713 said:
matuski said:
dparker713 said:
I'm a giants fan. So I'll need more than luck.
T&P's.

BigJohn said:
Hopefully, Burfict will start to learn from this. Harrison made the transition. He can too.
Not sure about the timing of everything,but didn't Harrison also get a lot less effective from that transition? Seems like he went from DPOY level to just a guy around the same time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/11/shazier-non-call-was-the-right-call/

Shazier non-call was the right call

Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2016, 11:05 PM EST

In the wake of Saturdays Steelers-Bengals game, some have argued that the helmet-to-helmet hit applied by Pittsburgh linebacker Ryan Shazier to Cincinnati running back Gio Bernard was worse than the hit applied by linebacker Vontaze Burfict to the helmet of Antonio Brown.

It looked worse, to be sure. But it was a legal play, for two reasons.

First, Bernard had the ball long enough to become a runner. As a runner, he wasnt defenseless. Since he wasnt defenseless, he could be hit in the head or neck area, and with Shaziers helmet.

Indeed, the fact that Bernard had the ball long enough to complete the catch and make his loss of possession a fumble means that Bernard had become a runner.

Second, the ban against use of the crown of the helmet doesnt apply in a bang-bang situation. It requires the person delivering the blow with the crown of the helmet to line up the target. While close, thats not what happened between Bernard and Shazier.

So Shazier rightly wasnt flagged, and he should be omitted from the coming flurry of fines. Bengals fans may not like that, but it reflects a correct interpretation of the rules.

FBG email says Antonio Brown may not play this weekend. He's really selling this fake; gotta admire the commitment.

Florio is an NFL shill. Plus he's flat wrong.
Can't argue with either, just saying we might not see a fine. I live in Cincy, this place will lose its #### if he is let off the hook.
His entire paragraph that starts with second is wrong.
Don't like Florios but technically he's not wrong

When the rule was adopted

(1) The player must line up his opponent,

(2) the player must lower his head, and

(3) the player must deliver a forcible blow with his crown to any part of the opposing player's body.

however the rule book does not state those 3. So I don't know if thats talked about or they dropped that or they deem it

Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

Not saying he shouldn't be fined but he may not

Users who are viewing this thread