What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Redskin Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

fatness

Footballguy
Having surprised more than a few people by going to the second round of the playoffs this year, this offseason promises to feature less dread and more hope than recent ones. OK, here we go.Redskins Hire Al Sunders as Offensive CoordinatorHe'll also take over the playcalling from Gibbs, who wants to concentrate on overall team management.

Gibbs acknowledged that giving Saunders so much authority marked a significant departure from his previous years as a Redskins coach, and was done only after considerable reflection on his part. "My commitment should be that I need to really look at myself long and hard and say, 'Is there anything I can do to help the Redskins win,' and there's probably some of that" ego checking, Gibbs said.........."I had no feeling that we needed to fill this role. It was specific to Al," Gibbs said. "I can honestly say to you there was nobody else out there."
Patrick Ramsey continues to look like he's a goner from the Skins. Buried at the end of that article is the following.
Gibbs called quarterbacks Mark Brunell and Jason Campbell to inform them of Saunders's hiring but said he has not talked to Patrick Ramsey, who almost certainly will be traded or released. Saunders referred to Brunell and Campbell when quickly discussing offensive personnel yesterday, but did not mention Ramsey, a former first-round pick.
Finally, Al Saunders Attempts Jedi Mind-Control Tricks on Joe Gibbs, who doesn't even notice. :D

The QB situation will again be my main focus as a Skins fan, Portis dynasty owner, S.Moss dynasty owner and Cooley dynasty owner.

Lavar Arrington's imaginary $6.5 million bonus not only was not paid by the Redskins, but may land his agent in trouble.Link

The NFL Players Association has filed a formal complaint seeking disciplinary action against Poston for "neglect" in negotiating Arrington's contract near the end of the 2003 season, union and league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.Poston, who was unavailable for comment, has 30 days to answer the complaint, which claims the agent failed to properly review terms of the contract before submitting it to Arrington for the player's signature, the sources said.

Lavar Arrington's imaginary $6.5 million bonus not only was not paid by the Redskins, but may land his agent in trouble.

Link

The NFL Players Association has filed a formal complaint seeking disciplinary action against Poston for "neglect" in negotiating Arrington's contract near the end of the 2003 season, union and league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Poston, who was unavailable for comment, has 30 days to answer the complaint, which claims the agent failed to properly review terms of the contract before submitting it to Arrington for the player's signature, the sources said.
It's interesting to note on this story that Arrington 1) denied strongly that he's the one who made the complaint; and 2) has been virtually groveling publicly to land back on the team by renegotiating his contract for a lower figure. The un-Postonesque nature of the second point is especially striking, and implies that he's splitting with them at the same time that he's decided he wants to stay on with Gibbs and Williams as they build toward success.

He's going to have to take one hell of a big salary cut or deferral in order to remain with the Skins. I realize he's spoken the words "I want to stay", but given payroll realities and team needs, he's going to need to appear to give up money (which is money he won't get anyway, since they'll cut him, but still, it looks like money on paper). It remains to be seen if he'll do that. I doubt it. Having him aboard as an affordable player committed to playing within the team concept wouldn't be bad. He's already adjusted his play a good bit. What I want to know is how the Skins are going to upgrade at WR.

On the coaching staff, WTEM is reporting that QB coach Bill Musgrave has recieved permission to disucss the QB coaching position with the Atlanta Falcons. And Dewayne Walker, DB coach is being considered for something, possibly opening up a position for Jerry Gray.I know Williams and Gibbs wanted Gray two years ago, but it is difficult imagining how they could fit him in a position he would be happy with. Will he want to be the highest paid DB coach in the NFL?

Patrick Ramsey continues to look like he's a goner from the Skins. Buried at the end of that article is the following. QUOTEGibbs called quarterbacks Mark Brunell and Jason Campbell to inform them of Saunders's hiring but said he has not talked to Patrick Ramsey, who almost certainly will be traded or released. Saunders referred to Brunell and Campbell when quickly discussing offensive personnel yesterday, but did not mention Ramsey, a former first-round pick.
I noticed this when I read the article. Ramsey is history. WTEM reported last week that Ramsey is seeking a trade and the Redskins will accomodate him. But I never saw any other comfirmation in print.

He's going to have to take one hell of a big salary cut or deferral in order to remain with the Skins. I realize he's spoken the words "I want to stay", but given payroll realities and team needs, he's going to need to appear to give up money (which is money he won't get anyway, since they'll cut him, but still, it looks like money on paper). It remains to be seen if he'll do that. I doubt it.

Having him aboard as an affordable player committed to playing within the team concept wouldn't be bad. He's already adjusted his play a good bit.

What I want to know is how the Skins are going to upgrade at WR.
I am expecting the Redskins to sign a mid-level free agent (David Givens maybe) and have David Patten and James Thrash back healthy next year. They may want another DB due to how brittle Shawn Springs, Walt Harris, and Carlos Rogers are. And a pass rushing DL would be really nice.

the Redskins need a #2 WR in the worst way. With Patton as the #3 and Thrash as the #4, they would be solid. Reggie Wayne would of course be my first choice, but that's pretty unlikley. The top guy on my list after that is Antonio Bryant. I would also be happy with Antwaan Randle El or Joe Jurevicius. Marc Boerigter is an UFA and might be inclined to follow Saunders to DC

Jurevicious would be an excellent addition for the Skins. They really don't have a possession receiver, unless you want to count Cooley.The dearth at WR on this team really puts in perspective how bad Rod Gardner must've been if he couldn't stick on that roster.Where do you think Patrick Ramsey ends up? I could see Detroit pursuing him. Maybe Charles Rogers and Ramsey end up being swapped, although I doubt it would be straight up.

Jurevicious would be an excellent addition for the Skins. They really don't have a possession receiver, unless you want to count Cooley.

The dearth at WR on this team really puts in perspective how bad Rod Gardner must've been if he couldn't stick on that roster.

Where do you think Patrick Ramsey ends up? I could see Detroit pursuing him. Maybe Charles Rogers and Ramsey end up being swapped, although I doubt it would be straight up.
it is rarely that easy, but I would take Charlie for Ramsey in a second. He's been a turd so far, but he has talent and, IMO, is worth the risk.

The dearth at WR on this team really puts in perspective how bad Rod Gardner must've been if he couldn't stick on that roster.
Notice that Rod didn't stick with Carolina either, and that's another team with a very disproportionate share of its passing game going to 1 WR. The guy's just another talented but lazy NFL player who will be out of the league shortly.

Notice that Rod didn't stick with Carolina either, and that's another team with a very disproportionate share of its passing game going to 1 WR. The guy's just another talented but lazy NFL player who will be out of the league shortly.
As unqualified Patten, Thrash, and Jacobs might be as a WR2, they each out produced Gardner this year. As you pointed out, Gardner couldn't even stay on a roster.It doesn't appear Indy is going to let Wayne go, and I'm not sure Washington could afford him. I heard Koren Robinson has expressed interest in coming to DC. I wouldn't want him as a WR2, but he might be a nice addition, especially returning kicks.

Jurevicious would be an excellent addition for the Skins.  They really don't have a possession receiver, unless you want to count Cooley.

Where do you think Patrick Ramsey ends up?  I could see Detroit pursuing him.  Maybe Charles Rogers and Ramsey end up being swapped, although I doubt it would be straight up.
it is rarely that easy, but I would take Charlie for Ramsey in a second. He's been a turd so far, but he has talent and, IMO, is worth the risk.
The key question here: does Charles Rogers have the work ethic and practice habits that Gibbs REQUIRES of his players? If not, Gibbs will not want him. I think the lack of dedication has been Rogers problem to date.

That's good, takes out one of the cooks from the kitchen. That offensive staff was getting a bit too crowded and IMO it was obvious Musgrave was going to look to get out. I think him for convincing Joe Gibbs to use a shotgun every now and then and I wish him luck.

Jurevicious would be an excellent addition for the Skins. They really don't have a possession receiver, unless you want to count Cooley.

Where do you think Patrick Ramsey ends up? I could see Detroit pursuing him. Maybe Charles Rogers and Ramsey end up being swapped, although I doubt it would be straight up.
The key question here: does Charles Rogers have the work ethic and practice habits that Gibbs REQUIRES of his players? If not, Gibbs will not want him. I think the lack of dedication has been Rogers problem to date.
I was thinking about Charles Rogers and if he could work out as a Redskin. The talent is there, no denying that. The question is as you stated. It all depends if Rogers views himself at the crossroads of his career. He is almost to the point of being called an absolute bust considering how high he was drafted. Will he be humbled by his lack of success and off field issues or will he continue to let his career/life go down the tubes. I think he definitely needs to get out of Detroit and start new somewhere. I think Eric Moulds would be a perfect addition as the Skins #2 WR. He's a veteran, knows how to get open and has proven he can produce when given the chance. He's at the point in his career when winning is more important then anything, so I think he'd be hungry to help out a team he feels could be close. Could that team be the Skins?

Jurevicious would be an excellent addition for the Skins.  They really don't have a possession receiver, unless you want to count Cooley.

Where do you think Patrick Ramsey ends up?  I could see Detroit pursuing him.  Maybe Charles Rogers and Ramsey end up being swapped, although I doubt it would be straight up.
I was thinking about Charles Rogers and if he could work out as a Redskin. The talent is there, no denying that. The question is as you stated. It all depends if Rogers views himself at the crossroads of his career. He is almost to the point of being called an absolute bust considering how high he was drafted. Will he be humbled by his lack of success and off field issues or will he continue to let his career/life go down the tubes. I think he definitely needs to get out of Detroit and start new somewhere. I think Eric Moulds would be a perfect addition as the Skins #2 WR. He's a veteran, knows how to get open and has proven he can produce when given the chance. He's at the point in his career when winning is more important then anything, so I think he'd be hungry to help out a team he feels could be close. Could that team be the Skins?
I would also like Moulds, plus 2006 in a even number, and he's had 1000 yards plus every even number since 1998. Also like Randle El, or Kelly washington here. Cb's Nate Clements, who I also belived played for Williams like Moulds. And Ricky Manning from the Panthers. De DARREN HOWARD!!!! Trade Ramsey to the Saints for Howard!!!!!!! That would be great!!!!!! J. Abraham Jets (our farm team) Marcellus Wiley, Orpheus Roye. Man I'm finally excited this year!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

What's Moulds status? UFA, RFA, or will it take a trade? Or, is he expected to be cut?
I believe he's UFA; I know he's not RFA because he's been in the league for far more than 4 years.

Interesting stuff in a Washington Post Chat Session with Howard Bryant.

Rockville, Md.: So what are the real chances of retaining LaVar? When Gibbs spoke at the end of the year, he spoke glowingly about how theyre going to work very hard to retain Robert Royal, Rock Cartwright, etc. But when it came to LaVar, he was very "we'll see" about it.... What is REALLY going to happen?

Howard Bryant: I don't think they want to keep LaVar. 1) he's clashed with LB coach Dale Lindsey. 2) I'm not exactly sure how Gibbs feels about him and 3) Most importantly, he doesn't look like the same player, speed-wise. He told me he's trying to balance between weight and agility and that it showed this past season. If they allow him to adjust to his new body and new physical circumstance, I think he can still be a very good player. If they don't, they will not keep a risk at $6.5m
Alexandria, Va.: Will Ryan Clark,Robert Royal,and Rock Cartwright be back next year?

Howard Bryant: I think Clark and Royal will be. I'm not sure about Rock. He's one guy of that three I'd bet against.
Washington, D.C.: Could you lay out the timing of the decisions you expect for Ramsey and Arrington? By when will they be traded if possible? If not, when will they be cut?

Howard Bryant: I think it all depends on a) what the market is for both players and b) how much respect Gibbs has for the players. if the Redskins are faced with a pre-draft offer they can't refuse, then I think they move quickly. They do this especially if they have made up their minds on both players. The tricky thing is gauging exactly how they feel about LaVar. I don't believe Gibbs thinks Patrick is his guy and they will move him first.

But LaVar is tricky because it takes a good 18 months after an injury sometimes to return to one's old self. Suppose LaVar comes back great and healthy and has a killer season? That's the dilemma. The respect issue is another. if they believe LaVar has no future with the Redskins, will they cut him quickly so he has a chance to catch on somewhere else, or late, where his options are limited?

Chevy Chase, Md.: Do you think that Ramsey will be traded this year?

Howard Bryant: unequivocally yes.
Hampton, Va.: I think the Skins were lucky to make the playoffs at all. If Donovan was upright, they wouldn't have won at Philly, right? Then we wouldn't be having these silly discussions about how the Skins are one player away from the Superbowl.

They got really lucky. They stole a game from the Cowboys. The Eagles fell apart. You can't count on that next year.

Howard Bryant: Exactly. I think the East is so good, that nothing is a given. Who expected Philly to go 0-6 in the division? That won't happen next year. All four teams, to me, are dead even, with a slight edge to the Eagles if they can stay healthy and find a receiver (probably one of the same guys the Redskins will be looking for)

Spotsylvania, Va.: Maybe I'm still just giddy over the success of the past year, but does it seem like Washington is best poised to win the NFC East next year? It looks like they might have the fewest holes to fill, and the upgrade in the coaching staff should also make a huge difference.

Howard Bryant: I think everyone in the East has a need that needs to be filled, and whoever fills it the best, followed by actually playing the game will win the division. Philly needs to get healthy, plus a game-breaking receiver to replace Owens. The Giants need Eli Manning to have that breakout season. The Cowboys need a consistent running game and/or bigger production from the WRs.

The Redskins, like the Cowboys, were just extremely inconsistent. The Skins need a pass rusher, someone to catch the ball on the other side of Moss and more even QB play. I don't see any reason why the Redskins wouldn't be expected to either win the division or be very close to the top.
The last set of questions, about the Redskins next year in the NFC East, is the interesting part. They could actually improve their play next year and still end up with the same record as this year, or worse. The Eagles will definitely be better, and the Giants and Cowboys don't look to be dropping off. 5-1 in the division is difficult to do. They did it this year, had a significant number of injuries on defense, but were predominantly healthy on offense. If Ports, Moss, Jansen go down to injury, where are they? That's why I think they need better backups almost as urgently as they need a #2 WR and a replacement for Arrington if he goes.

Interesting stuff in a Washington Post Chat Session with Howard Bryant.

Rockville, Md.: So what are the real chances of retaining LaVar? When Gibbs spoke at the end of the year, he spoke glowingly about how theyre going to work very hard to retain Robert Royal, Rock Cartwright, etc. But when it came to LaVar, he was very "we'll see" about it.... What is REALLY going to happen?

Howard Bryant: I don't think they want to keep LaVar. 1) he's clashed with LB coach Dale Lindsey. 2) I'm not exactly sure how Gibbs feels about him and 3) Most importantly, he doesn't look like the same player, speed-wise. He told me he's trying to balance between weight and agility and that it showed this past season. If they allow him to adjust to his new body and new physical circumstance, I think he can still be a very good player. If they don't, they will not keep a risk at $6.5m
Alexandria, Va.: Will Ryan Clark,Robert Royal,and Rock Cartwright be back next year?

Howard Bryant: I think Clark and Royal will be. I'm not sure about Rock. He's one guy of that three I'd bet against.
Washington, D.C.: Could you lay out the timing of the decisions you expect for Ramsey and Arrington? By when will they be traded if possible? If not, when will they be cut?

Howard Bryant: I think it all depends on a) what the market is for both players and b) how much respect Gibbs has for the players. if the Redskins are faced with a pre-draft offer they can't refuse, then I think they move quickly. They do this especially if they have made up their minds on both players. The tricky thing is gauging exactly how they feel about LaVar. I don't believe Gibbs thinks Patrick is his guy and they will move him first.

But LaVar is tricky because it takes a good 18 months after an injury sometimes to return to one's old self. Suppose LaVar comes back great and healthy and has a killer season? That's the dilemma. The respect issue is another. if they believe LaVar has no future with the Redskins, will they cut him quickly so he has a chance to catch on somewhere else, or late, where his options are limited?

Chevy Chase, Md.: Do you think that Ramsey will be traded this year?

Howard Bryant: unequivocally yes.
Hampton, Va.: I think the Skins were lucky to make the playoffs at all. If Donovan was upright, they wouldn't have won at Philly, right? Then we wouldn't be having these silly discussions about how the Skins are one player away from the Superbowl.

They got really lucky. They stole a game from the Cowboys. The Eagles fell apart. You can't count on that next year.

Howard Bryant: Exactly. I think the East is so good, that nothing is a given. Who expected Philly to go 0-6 in the division? That won't happen next year. All four teams, to me, are dead even, with a slight edge to the Eagles if they can stay healthy and find a receiver (probably one of the same guys the Redskins will be looking for)

Spotsylvania, Va.: Maybe I'm still just giddy over the success of the past year, but does it seem like Washington is best poised to win the NFC East next year? It looks like they might have the fewest holes to fill, and the upgrade in the coaching staff should also make a huge difference.

Howard Bryant: I think everyone in the East has a need that needs to be filled, and whoever fills it the best, followed by actually playing the game will win the division. Philly needs to get healthy, plus a game-breaking receiver to replace Owens. The Giants need Eli Manning to have that breakout season. The Cowboys need a consistent running game and/or bigger production from the WRs.

The Redskins, like the Cowboys, were just extremely inconsistent. The Skins need a pass rusher, someone to catch the ball on the other side of Moss and more even QB play. I don't see any reason why the Redskins wouldn't be expected to either win the division or be very close to the top.
The last set of questions, about the Redskins next year in the NFC East, is the interesting part. They could actually improve their play next year and still end up with the same record as this year, or worse. The Eagles will definitely be better, and the Giants and Cowboys don't look to be dropping off. 5-1 in the division is difficult to do. They did it this year, had a significant number of injuries on defense, but were predominantly healthy on offense. If Ports, Moss, Jansen go down to injury, where are they? That's why I think they need better backups almost as urgently as they need a #2 WR and a replacement for Arrington if he goes.
The winner of that division next year will be 10-6 or 11-5, tops, with a 4-2 intra division record. Those four teams are going to spend the entire year beating the crap out of each other.

Article on Musgrave leaving, with minor news about other coaching staff members.
The Redskins agreed on extensions with all their assistant coaches last week, the team announced, but cornerbacks coach DeWayne Walker is drawing heavy consideration for the defensive coordinator position at UCLA, league sources said. Linebackers coach Dale Lindsey and defensive coordinator Greg Blache have turned down opportunities elsewhere, Gibbs said Monday.
Sean Taylor's charges increased and it looks like they'll go to trial March 20.8 Players Sent to NFL Europe by Redskins
* Antonio Brown, WR, Amsterdam Admirals * Jonathan Combs, RB, Not Assigned * Steven Harris, WR, Rhein Fire * Aki Jones, DT, Frankfurt Galaxy * Tyler Jones, K, Not Assigned * Calen Powell, TE, Cologne Centurions * Richard Smith, WR, Hamburg Sea Devils * Aric Williams, DB, Cologne Centurions
Redskins Sign 18 to Off-season Roster, including your cousin, they guy who used to work at the car wash, a department store mannequin (that one is probably a mistake), and Kerry Carter, former backup backup RB for the Seahawks. ;)

I won't disagree with the K-Rob idea, but Washington's best choice for the #2 WR is Randle El. While some want to see him in Philly, and I liked the idea of Indy (won't happen if Wayne stays), nobody is going to outspend Snyder, and Saunders has the offensive mind to utilize ARE.Remember Dante Hall? The last couple years Saunders spent a fair amount of time working out plays for him, but sadly Hall just isn't that good a WR. Randle El has almost the same shiftiness, but is the WR that can use the plays Saunders needs.

Redskins lose DB coach DeWayne Walker to UCLA, and sign Jerry Gray in his place.Link

On the same day DeWayne Walker was introduced as the new defensive coordinator at UCLA, the Washington Redskins hired former Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray to replace Walker as their defensive backs coach.Gray, 43, will be united with Redskins assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams for the third time in the NFL. As head coach in Buffalo in 2001, Williams hired Gray to be his defensive coordinator, a position Gray held for five seasons, two of which came after Williams was fired following the 2003 season. Gray also worked with Williams in Tennessee as his defensive backs coach from 1997 to 2000.Gray became available last week when Marv Levy, Buffalo's new general manager, announced Gray would not be retained following the sudden resignation of coach Mike Mularkey. "We are ecstatic to have a coach with the caliber and experience of Jerry Gray joining our staff," Williams said in a statement. "Obviously, I am familiar with Jerry from our previous years together and know that he is a great fit for our defense. He adds a new dynamic to our coaching staff and will help us continue to be one of the top defenses in the National Football League."Gray interviewed for the head coaching job in Houston, a position that went to Gary Kubiak. Gray also had interviewed for the defensive coordinator job in Green Bay. Williams tried to bring Gray to Washington when Williams joined the Redskins after the 2003 season. The move comes a week after the Redskins introduced Al Saunders as associate head coach-offense and just days after the team added Bill Lazor to coach the quarterbacks. Lazor replaced Bill Musgrave, who was quarterbacks coach for one season before accepting the same position last week with the Atlanta Falcons.Gray is a former defensive back who played nine years in the NFL, seven with the Los Angeles Rams and one each with Houston and Tampa Bay. He was a four-time Pro Bowl selection from 1986 to '89. Under Gray, the Bills were a strong unit, leading the league in turnovers forced with 39 in 2004. In 2003 and 2004, the Bills were fifth and eighth, respectively, in points allowed, and second both years in yards allowed.However, last year Buffalo slipped badly, finishing 24th in points allowed (22.9 per game) and 29th in yardage allowed. They were 13th in turnovers forced with 30, two better than the Redskins' 28.Meantime, Walker, 45, became the defensive coordinator at UCLA, a deal that had been in the works for weeks.

Let me just say, as a Cowboys fan, the news of the Redskins coaching hires has frightened me just a bit. Could be scary if Saunders can keep Brunell healthy.........How long do you skins fans think it will be before the Jason Campbell era starts?What are they going to do with Ramsey?

I think they'll trade Ramsey. I think Campbell will get a LOT of playing time in training camp and preseason to try to have him ready as at least a functional #2 QB. And if he gives appearances of being that, I think it's a matter of time before Brunell is hurt again enough to mess up his performance, and Campbell goes in. Of course, if Campbell stinks, that's another matter.

I think they'll trade Ramsey. I think Campbell will get a LOT of playing time in training camp and preseason to try to have him ready as at least a functional #2 QB. And if he gives appearances of being that, I think it's a matter of time before Brunell is hurt again enough to mess up his performance, and Campbell goes in.

Of course, if Campbell stinks, that's another matter.
Agreed on Ramsey.I would not be the least bit surprised if Campbell is the week 1 starter. By midseason, he'll be leading the team. How he does is a great question, but I think he'll be fine.

Campbell's strong arm and mobility will be assets with the surrounding players - he'll get the ball to Santana Moss with consistancy. His weakness was supposed to be calling his own game, but Saunders didn't let Trent Green have control, so Campbell won't have to worry about that.

I think they'll trade Ramsey. I think Campbell will get a LOT of playing time in training camp and preseason to try to have him ready as at least a functional #2 QB. And if he gives appearances of being that, I think it's a matter of time before Brunell is hurt again enough to mess up his performance, and Campbell goes in.

Agreed on Ramsey.I would not be the least bit surprised if Campbell is the week 1 starter. By midseason, he'll be leading the team. How he does is a great question, but I think he'll be fine.

Campbell's strong arm and mobility will be assets with the surrounding players - he'll get the ball to Santana Moss with consistancy. His weakness was supposed to be calling his own game, but Saunders didn't let Trent Green have control, so Campbell won't have to worry about that.
Excluding injuries, I would be shocked if Campbell is the opening day starter. Gibbs loves Brunell and how he plays the game. Based on Gibbs' comments, he is very comfortable with Campbell as the back up qb. As other noted is this thread, mentions by both Gibbs and Saunders on the QB position usually exclude Ramsey. He will certainly be traded.

I just posted this in the Martz thread:

Anyone have any idea what Detroit will do at QB?

What about Patrick Ramsey? Both Martz and Gibbs run a Coryell variation, so the learning curve may not be too bad. Plus, one reason Gibbs isn't too fond of Ramsey is that Gibbs wants to protect the ball more than take chances. Ramsey is a risk taker in the passing game. He's better suited to take shots than to make several reads and settle for the safe pass. However, Ramsey's big arm and overall style of play may be the kind of guy Martz wants.

Just a thought.
I've heard no rumors about where Ramsey may go, but I think Martz going to a team needing a QB could give the Skins a place to talk to.I really hope they can fill some need by trading Ramsey.

I just posted this in the Martz thread:

Anyone have any idea what Detroit will do at QB?

What about Patrick Ramsey? Both Martz and Gibbs run a Coryell variation, so the learning curve may not be too bad. Plus, one reason Gibbs isn't too fond of Ramsey is that Gibbs wants to protect the ball more than take chances. Ramsey is a risk taker in the passing game. He's better suited to take shots than to make several reads and settle for the safe pass. However, Ramsey's big arm and overall style of play may be the kind of guy Martz wants.

Just a thought.
I've heard no rumors about where Ramsey may go, but I think Martz going to a team needing a QB could give the Skins a place to talk to.I really hope they can fill some need by trading Ramsey.
Not sure sure what they could get from the Lions. Maybe Rogers or Vines :shrug:

Ramsey for Rogers would be great for both sides IMO.Now if the Skins could just sign a pass rusher and a few DBs they will be set.

Saw this in a Big Ben thread:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9201384

A T.O. FOR T.O.

More and more, it's looking as if the Eagles are going to be able to extract some form of compensation for disgruntled wide receiver Terrell Owens.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King will be reporting on Wednesday night's Inside the NFL that the Redskins are the latest entrant into the T.O. sweepstakes, and definitely the most intriguing. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder thrives on making high-profile acquisitions, like this one would be. Plus, it would be yet another boost to a Redskins offense that already has added offensive coordintor Al Saunders.

But now that the Redskins are involved, and possibly willing to give up a first-day draft pick, the Cowboys are likely to follow suit. Hard to imagine Cowboys owner Jerry Jones just sitting back and watching Snyder add another marketable commodity to his stable in Washington without doing anything.

Also, Chiefs president Carl Peterson is saying that Kansas City needs to take a look at T.O., shortly after Kansas City's division rival Broncos brought T.O. to Denver for a visit.

The Dolphins are interested, the Buccaneers will be interested, and so, amazingly, there will be no shortage of suitors for Owens, who now looks destined to be dealt.

Smart money is now on Washington. Redskins are the favorite.

Wow! You can't argue with TO's talent, but I just don't see him fitting on a Joe Gibbs team.

Saw this in a Big Ben thread:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9201384

A T.O. FOR T.O.

More and more, it's looking as if the Eagles are going to be able to extract some form of compensation for disgruntled wide receiver Terrell Owens.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King will be reporting on Wednesday night's Inside the NFL that the Redskins are the latest entrant into the T.O. sweepstakes, and definitely the most intriguing. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder thrives on making high-profile acquisitions, like this one would be. Plus, it would be yet another boost to a Redskins offense that already has added offensive coordintor Al Saunders.

But now that the Redskins are involved, and possibly willing to give up a first-day draft pick, the Cowboys are likely to follow suit. Hard to imagine Cowboys owner Jerry Jones just sitting back and watching Snyder add another marketable commodity to his stable in Washington without doing anything.

Also, Chiefs president Carl Peterson is saying that Kansas City needs to take a look at T.O., shortly after Kansas City's division rival Broncos brought T.O. to Denver for a visit.

The Dolphins are interested, the Buccaneers will be interested, and so, amazingly, there will be no shortage of suitors for Owens, who now looks destined to be dealt.

Smart money is now on Washington. Redskins are the favorite.

Wow! You can't argue with TO's talent, but I just don't see him fitting on a Joe Gibbs team.
This would be fascinating. TO is an awesome player, but he rubs EVERYBODY the wrong way (very wrong). It would be handful for Gibbs to manage TO.If the Redskins decide they want TO, I believe they will land him. The Redskins, even under Gibbs, have never been hesitant about giving up draft picks to get players they want.

Some very interesting dynamics for TO here:

1. The Redskins will be a run-first team.

2. Although TO will be labelled the #1 wr, he will be splitting the reception with Santana Moss.

3. Gibbs basically is pretty conservative on offense. That could change under Saunders, although KC is very run-oriented too.

4. Gibbs won't put up with a lot of the antics TO has done before.

5. Washington plays Philly twice a year. TO would probably love the revenge games.

You know what? I never thought about TO on the Skins before, but he would actually be a good fit. If Danny is smart and gives him an incentive-based contract he could really make a difference. He would be the perfect posession/big receiver across from our speedy deep threat Santana Moss and would really tear it up against the Eagles twice a year. You can count on him being relatively quiet at least for one season. It's 2007 when you have to worry about him screwing things up. I'd rather see him line up on my team putting up those big numbers than across from my corners twice a year.

One would certainly assume that, but then again the Skins' bread and butter are 3 players from "the U"

Don't forget, even with a run-first team Gibbs has had several great receivers on one team before and was able to get them all nice numbers.

I'll say that I'd be very hesitant to sign T.O.. Who wouldn't? But, if Gibbs sits down and talks to T.O. and if Gibbs is comfortable with it, I say go for it.As crazy as I think any team is that would sign this guy, I think you are more crazy to not even consider it.

Excluding injuries, I would be shocked if Campbell is the opening day starter. Gibbs loves Brunell and how he plays the game. Based on Gibbs' comments, he is very comfortable with Campbell as the back up qb. As other noted is this thread, mentions by both Gibbs and Saunders on the QB position usually exclude Ramsey. He will certainly be traded.
I'd tend to agree with this view. Gibbs will stick with a veteran starting QB too long rather than make the switch too soon. For illustrations, check out Theismann's 1985 season vs. the backups, and Doug Williams' 1988 season vs. his backups. In each case (and famously so with Theismann) injury was what forced Gibbs to go to the backup. Here's the way I see it playing out. An open competition at QB will be declared by Gibbs in training camp. Brunell, however will keep the job until/unless he's injured, and Campbell will be the backup.

Ramsey is gone via trade is the overwhelming likelihood. I think the 'Skins will aim to get a 3rd rounder for him, which is reasonable, but they may settle for a 4th or some combination of picks, perhaps in a swap. The interesting question for me will be what they do with him if they can't trade him. He's still under his rookie contract, so he's actually quite affordable, and may be affordable enough that they simply opt to keep him - it's not like he's going to be disruptive as that's just not his personality. If/when Ramsey's gone, I'll be interested to see who they bring in as the #3 QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!  You can't argue with TO's talent, but I just don't see him fitting on a Joe Gibbs team.
One would certainly assume that, but then again the Skins' bread and butter are 3 players from "the U"
None of those guys from "the U" has done anything to disrupt the team; the closest to it was Sean Taylor's MIA status from offseason workouts last year, but he's since acknowledged that was a mistake and pledged not to do it again - it didn't hurt that he showed up to camp in excellent shape either. Gibbs has had plenty of headcases on his teams before. Riggins and Manley weren't exactly the most stable or rational people around. The key though is that all of those guys were devoted to the team and didn't disrupt what Gibbs and the team were trying to accomplish. While TO is a star like those guys were (and Gibbs has shown more tolerances for stars' eccentricities), the second factor is the problem - TO is nothing if not disruptive. I just can't see Gibbs given the okay to this.

OTOH, the team has a recent history of successfully renting a troubled player who needed a break in Darryl Gardener in 2003. He played at MVP level on that defense under an incentive laden contract before departing to Denver in FA with a big contract. Cerrato may be in favor of trying that again. However, Gibbs calls the final shots here . . .

One more thing to consider. If indeed the 'Skins are serious about giving Campbell a shot at starting next year, what worse teammate could there be for a young QB seeking to develop skills and confidence in the NFL than TO?

I'd tend to agree with this view. Gibbs will stick with a veteran starting QB too long rather than make the switch too soon. For illustrations, check out Theismann's 1985 season vs. the backups, and Doug Williams' 1988 season vs. his backups. In each case (and famously so with Theismann) injury was what forced Gibbs to go to the backup. Here's the way I see it playing out. An open competition at QB will be declared by Gibbs in training camp. Brunell, however will keep the job until/unless he's injured, and Campbell will be the backup.

Ramsey is gone via trade is the overwhelming likelihood. I think the 'Skins will aim to get a 3rd rounder for him, which is reasonable, but they may settle for a 4th or some combination of picks, perhaps in a swap. The interesting question for me will be what they do with him if they can't trade him. He's still under his rookie contract, so he's actually quite affordable, and may be affordable enough that they simply opt to keep him - it's not like he's going to be disruptive as that's just not his personality. If/when Ramsey's gone, I'll be interested to see who they bring in as the #3 QB.
I actually don't think there will be an open competition. And all eyes will be on Jason Campbell to see if he is an adequate backup qb. Brunell will probably be the starter until injury forces him from the lineup.Ramsey should be tradeable. Any team who still sees Ramsey's potential and the abilty to compete for a starting job will give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. I though it would be more interesting if he is included in a player for player trade. How about Ramsey and a pick for Fred Smoot?

You know what? I never thought about TO on the Skins before, but he would actually be a good fit. If Danny is smart and gives him an incentive-based contract he could really make a difference. He would be the perfect posession/big receiver across from our speedy deep threat Santana Moss and would really tear it up against the Eagles twice a year. You can count on him being relatively quiet at least for one season. It's 2007 when you have to worry about him screwing things up.

I'd rather see him line up on my team putting up those big numbers than across from my corners twice a year.
Dan Patrick has an interesting comment on TO. If incentive are tied to personal stats, it could get really ugly. Suppose TO needs x catches for a $1M bonus. But the team is way up, so they run the ball, punt, and play field position. TO could go ballistic because he's not getting his chances. Incentives tied to wins would be ok, but not personal stats.

I actually don't think there will be an open competition. And all eyes will be on Jason Campbell to see if he is an adequate backup qb. Brunell will probably be the starter until injury forces him from the lineup.

Ramsey should be tradeable. Any team who still sees Ramsey's potential and the abilty to compete for a starting job will give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. I though it would be more interesting if he is included in a player for player trade. How about Ramsey and a pick for Fred Smoot?
Gibbs gushed over Campbell - remember, Cambell is Gibbs' only 1st round QB pick as a 'Skins head coach - I'm not sure he ever had one previously as an assistant either. The declared open competition will be for one thing only: Cambell's confidence. Gibbs wants to keep marching him closer to the starter's job in increments to continue to encourage his development. In reality, Brunell will be the intended/anticipated starter to begin the season. In other words, I basically agree with you in so many words. Ramsey for Fred Smoot won't happen for one reason: Carlos Rogers. Rogers is clearly a starting caliber CB, and he should be playing at this point. Springs, assuming he's healthy, is a superior CB to Smoot. And you know Smoot won't want to play the nickel.

Besides, I don't want the Chesapeake Bay to beckon Smoot for another one of his forays into team entertainment. :)

I actually don't think there will be an open competition.  And all eyes will be on Jason Campbell to see if he is an adequate backup qb.  Brunell will probably be the starter until injury forces him from the lineup.

Ramsey should be tradeable.  Any team who still sees Ramsey's potential and the abilty to compete for a starting job will give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.  I though it would be more interesting if he is included in a player for player trade.  How about Ramsey and a pick for Fred Smoot?
Gibbs gushed over Campbell - remember, Cambell is Gibbs' only 1st round QB pick as a 'Skins head coach - I'm not sure he ever had one previously as an assistant either. The declared open competition will be for one thing only: Cambell's confidence. Gibbs wants to keep marching him closer to the starter's job in increments to continue to encourage his development. In reality, Brunell will be the intended/anticipated starter to begin the season. In other words, I basically agree with you in so many words. Ramsey for Fred Smoot won't happen for one reason: Carlos Rogers. Rogers is clearly a starting caliber CB, and he should be playing at this point. Springs, assuming he's healthy, is a superior CB to Smoot. And you know Smoot won't want to play the nickel.

Besides, I don't want the Chesapeake Bay to beckon Smoot for another one of his forays into team entertainment. :)
One big concern I have about the Redskins personnel is how brittle the CBs. Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, and Walt Harris all missed significant playing time due to injuries. Springs and Harris are both older players with a significant history of injuries. Against Philly, Harris was deactive due to injury. Then Springs (groin) and Jimoh (irregular heartbeat) left the game nearly simultaneously Rogers is young, so hopefully he will be healthier in the future. I suppose it would be excessive to have 3 starting caliber CBs on a roster though.

I actually don't think there will be an open competition.  And all eyes will be on Jason Campbell to see if he is an adequate backup qb.  Brunell will probably be the starter until injury forces him from the lineup.

Ramsey should be tradeable.  Any team who still sees Ramsey's potential and the abilty to compete for a starting job will give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.  I though it would be more interesting if he is included in a player for player trade.  How about Ramsey and a pick for Fred Smoot?

One big concern I have about the Redskins personnel is how brittle the CBs. Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, and Walt Harris all missed significant playing time due to injuries. Springs and Harris are both older players with a significant history of injuries. Against Philly, Harris was deactive due to injury. Then Springs (groin) and Jimoh (irregular heartbeat) left the game nearly simultaneously Rogers is young, so hopefully he will be healthier in the future. I suppose it would be excessive to have 3 starting caliber CBs on a roster though.
I agree with you on this point, which is why I think they're going to try to draft another CB to develop. Springs tends to miss at least a couple of games a year, and Harris is on his last legs and should be a dime CB at this point in his career at best; I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of football next year. Frankly, the backup safeties in Prioleau and Stoutmire were as good as Harris was in coverage by the end of the season IMHO. Jimoh has surprisingly developed into a respectable role playing CB - he should never start there but he may become their nickel CB as they try to develop another rookie.

But yeah, there's a need there.

Does anyone besides me think that this sudden Owens-to-the-Redskins talk may just be to drive up the price of acquiring Owens for a team like, say, that team in Dallas? I have a hard time picturing Gibbs acquiring him ---- because there's a reasonable chance his behavior will leave his team without a starting WR at some point during the year. But I could easily see feigning interest in him to drive up the price a division foe would have to pay. I just doubt he'll play for the Redskins, and that suits me just fine. On the subject of WR's, Michael Wilbon wrote a gushing column about Antwaan Randle El this morning as a good fit for the Skins: Link

The Redskins might not be able to pull off signing him because of the salary cap, but then again, Daniel Snyder has been fairly creative and quite insistent when he wants a player. While the Pittsburgh coaches are more creative offensively and more willing than most to welcome college quarterbacks who can play wide receiver and virtually anywhere else on the field (Kordell Stewart, Ward and now Randle El), one would think that the new offensive boss, Al Saunders, could figure out what to do with a quadruple threat. Is it a stretch to think that Randle El is the piece that could dramatically improve the Redskins' offense?........................................When coaches and players talk about an X-factor in games like these, they're talking about players with unique abilities, which is what Randle El has both physically and mentally. The word "versatile" is inadequate to describe what he can do. Making the transition from college quarterback to professional wide receiver was mostly seamless even though he speaks of the difficulties. Like Ward, who assisted in that transition, Randle El knows all the positions on offense and can anticipate what defenders are thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread