What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Scotch Whisky Thread (1 Viewer)

Steve Tasker said:
Well, to be fair, the guy didn't really recommend anything. He freely admitted that he loves "peat-bombs" and that it wouldn't be the best for a new drinker to drink one of those.

Let's say that I go to the store and they don't carry Oban. What should I look for? Trust me when I say that the place in town is monstrous in terms of its liquor selection....if it's not super obscure, it's probably there. They might not have the selection of a scotch-specific place, but I'm sure they have most of the basic "good stuff".
If you're new to whisky, Speyside is usually a good place to start. Many of the more well known single malts come from that area, including Glenlivet, Glenfiddich (not one of my faves), Macallan (10 or 12 year are great starting points), Balvenie, and Aberlour. Glenmorangie is a personal favorite of mine, which comes from the Highlands, but it's similar in style to the Speyside malts.All of these will be on the lighter, crisper side, and they don't have the smoke and peat that turns some people off.
Good points. Also, Steve...did you see the link that was provided earlier to the tasting map? - http://whisky.scotsman.com/flavourmap.aspxI'd start with something in the middle half of that grid - Glenmorangie, Oban, Dalwhinnie, Glenlivet. Our crappy little state controlled liquor store had all of those, so any decent real story should carry them, too. As for age, 12-15 is a good starting point IMHO. You don't get the extremes (or the prices) that come with 18+, and the 10's I've had aren't that good to me.

There's an ABC store on the state line of NC/SC which, God love 'em, stocks mini-bottles of The Macallan 12. I had never heard of such a thing, until Santa left a couple in my stocking...

Enjoying a dram right now, with three little bitty rocks. Good single malt and playoff football is a winning combination I recommend to all my friends.

Spaceman Spliff, over and out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely and completely unrelated to Scotch or whiskies, but my neighbors father came over for Xmas from Hungary and was supposed to bring me a bottle of the real deal absinthe from Czech but wasn't able to. He did bring me a liqueur called Zwack. Very reminiscent of Jager (haven't had it in awhile so I can't remember how similar) but is lighter and more herby. Just an FYI about a tasty booze I'd never even heard of. A great history too, surviving Communism and being the national booze of Hungary.
they actually export the stuff. Seen it around

The peat bombs have a very phenolic, smoky taste. A friend said it was like drinking a really good cigar. If you like peat bombs, you're unlikely to like Oban as the peat and smoke flavors in Oban are very subtle. To a "peat bomb" drinker, Oban is neither fish nor foul, so it stands to reason he doesn't care too much for it. That said, being a lover of peat bombs exclusively paints you into a pretty narrow Scotch drinking corner. To say Oban isn't good is putting your personal preferences above objectively judging the whisky. I am learning to like/appreciate the peat bombs, and I wouldn't have been able to get there without intermediate steps like Talisker and Oban in between the Dalwhinnie and Lagavulin styled extremes on the continuum. Recommending a really peaty Scotch to a newbie is akin to recommending a 90 minute IPA to a new beer drinker. It MAY work out, but it's much more likely to be off putting. You work your way up to those types of beverages, whether they're beer, wine, or Scotch.
Well, to be fair, the guy didn't really recommend anything. He freely admitted that he loves "peat-bombs" and that it wouldn't be the best for a new drinker to drink one of those.Let's say that I go to the store and they don't carry Oban. What should I look for? Trust me when I say that the place in town is monstrous in terms of its liquor selection....if it's not super obscure, it's probably there. They might not have the selection of a scotch-specific place, but I'm sure they have most of the basic "good stuff".
I dabbled in Scotch in college (Johnnie's/Dewars....) When I really started to drink more scotch at the bars I determined that I liked Glenfiddich more than Glenlivet and Glenmorangie (three of the most seen ones at bars). The first bottle I owned and really go in to was Bunnahabhain. Not a very well known one, but for whatever reason, I liked it. Got a bottle of Deantson not too long ago and though it wasn't as good as the Bunnahabhain at first, then I stuck with it. Now I think I like it better. Next I got a bottle of Yamasaki. Half way through that. Tastes almost half Irish whiskey half scotch to me. I like it, but I always find myself reaching for something else. I'm a quarter of the way through a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. I was really excited about this since it is aged in Port casks and I love Port, but so far I don't like it as much as I was hoping. Not "scotchy" enough for me I think. But, I think my lesson with the Deanston was to keep at it and learn the flavors. BTW, everything I mentioned is a 12yr. Haven't felt like investing in anything higher. Not sure what good (if any) that does, and if anyone wants to interrupt and translate that into a recommendation, feel free.

There's an ABC store on the state line of NC/SC which, God love 'em, stocks mini-bottles of The Macallan 12. I had never heard of such a thing, until Santa left a couple in my stocking...Enjoying a dram right now, with three little bitty rocks. Good single malt and playoff football is a winning combination I recommend to all my friends.Spaceman Spliff, over and out.
MacDoogal =) I get the minis also. Place in town has Highland Park 12 in minis. Cheap way to try different brands.

There's an ABC store on the state line of NC/SC which, God love 'em, stocks mini-bottles of The Macallan 12. I had never heard of such a thing, until Santa left a couple in my stocking...

Enjoying a dram right now, with three little bitty rocks. Good single malt and playoff football is a winning combination I recommend to all my friends.

MacDoogal =) I get the minis also. Place in town has Highland Park 12 in minis. Cheap way to try different brands.
I wasn't talking about Frugal's, but if they have the minis, it'll save me a couple of miles in the car. The store I referred to is on Hwy. 51 right next to the big red barn flea market place - in case I can save you a couple of miles. :kicksrock:

Bought four minis, drank 'em all. Watched the Jets win, then watched SNL for the first time in a decade or more. Without getting into it, I didn't laugh much, but the Kenan Thompson/Jim Carrey Tantric thing slayed me.

The Feb edition of Wine Spectator features single malt Scotch. It's mostly the elementary stuff targeted at wine drinkers, so you life long Scotch diehards won't find a lot of insightful, new information. But for any newb it's a treasure trove. I especially appreciated/enjoyed the detailed, step by step description of how it's made. There's also tasting notes for 65 different single malts. I've updated my wish list accordingly.

Speaking of which...any one buy online with any success? Thanks to my bassackwards state, I have no options other than what the State puts on the shelves in their stores, though I'm pretty sure I can have it delivered to me.

If you are ever in Baton Rouge, LA you need to go here.

http://www.portroyallounge.com/inventory/C...covespirits.htm

I have a lot further to go but so far I've liked the Glenfiddich 18 and the Macallan 15 a lot.
Can't access that website, but what's special about this place? Do they sell scotch by the bottle? Just a bar?
Haven't looked at this thread in a while so sorry for the late reply. It's just a really extensive collection and the atmosphere is pretty cool.

The Feb edition of Wine Spectator features single malt Scotch. It's mostly the elementary stuff targeted at wine drinkers, so you life long Scotch diehards won't find a lot of insightful, new information. But for any newb it's a treasure trove. I especially appreciated/enjoyed the detailed, step by step description of how it's made. There's also tasting notes for 65 different single malts. I've updated my wish list accordingly.

Speaking of which...any one buy online with any success? Thanks to my bassackwards state, I have no options other than what the State puts on the shelves in their stores, though I'm pretty sure I can have it delivered to me.
Shoppers Vineyard has always done right by me and if you sign up for the e-newsletter, you'll get notified whenever they run a special or closeout. Expect about 2 or 3 spirits a week, primarily whisk(e)y.Many times, even with shipping, I can get my stuff cheaper there than in a local store. Also, they carry several brands/bottlings unavailable in my state.

Shoppers Vineyard has always done right by me and if you sign up for the e-newsletter, you'll get notified whenever they run a special or closeout. Expect about 2 or 3 spirits a week, primarily whisk(e)y.Many times, even with shipping, I can get my stuff cheaper there than in a local store. Also, they carry several brands/bottlings unavailable in my state.
Thanks. Good news is they had most everything I was looking for. Bad news, I just put together a $2k wish list.

I wasn't talking about Frugal's, but if they have the minis, it'll save me a couple of miles in the car. The store I referred to is on Hwy. 51 right next to the big red barn flea market place - in case I can save you a couple of miles. :lmao:

Bought four minis, drank 'em all. Watched the Jets win, then watched SNL for the first time in a decade or more. Without getting into it, I didn't laugh much, but the Kenan Thompson/Jim Carrey Tantric thing slayed me.
I know where you are talking about. Thanks for the heads-up. I check it out.

Thanks. Good news is they had most everything I was looking for. Bad news, I just put together a $2k wish list.
http://www.masterofmalt.com/drinks-by-the-dram/

Anyone have an opinion on Glen Garioch? On sale at wholesale cost with free shipping:

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/G...K-212p14426.htm

Non-chill filtered and 96 proof pique my interest and the price is certainly right. But this is a brand I've never heard of and there are some mixed reviews out there...
They sell the 10 year old single-malt Glen Garioch at my local store, priced at around $26 (cheapest single-malt on the shelf there.) For the price though, not bad. I like it and have bought it multiple times. That being said, haven't tried anything older than the 10yr.

Just found a new great Balvenie, well t's semi-new. Their 14 y/o Caribbean Cask. It's their 12 that's put in rum casks for 2 years. They also have a 17, which is 5 years in rum casks. Pulls out the vanilla and toffee flavors. For those of us that like the lighter, less peaty/smokey/oakey Scotches, it's a nice addition. $55 or so at my discount liquor store. It's got a smoothness and caramelliness to it without getting that late bourbony/quality tequila-ey oakness to it. They also have a $90 Madeira aged version but that's out of my price range unless I hit a jackpot job.

THis thread is not only a repeat, I have probably posted in psuedo threads about 5 different times.

Not that it matters.

For highlands, I like Balvenie the 15 and the 21, are good with me.

I like the Islays a lot as well, and Lagavulin 16 is one of my favorites. Laphroaig as well.
Agree here -- love this stuff.Also someone got me a bottle of Talisker 18 year recently. I've never had it before. Totally incredible stuff. Possibly my new fave.

There should be a rule about not bumping this thread in the last hour of a workday. How about suppose to go home and "be good" and not dip into the nectar of the gods now? :wall:

'SkyRattlers said:
There should be a rule about not bumping this thread in the last hour of a workday. How about suppose to go home and "be good" and not dip into the nectar of the gods now? :wall:
You shouldn't. A small glass to wind down is, IMO, a necessity and shouldn't be suppressed. Hell, some days I don't even bother with a glass.

'SkyRattlers said:
You shouldn't. A small glass to wind down is, IMO, a necessity and shouldn't be suppressed. Hell, some days I don't even bother with a glass.
If it was a night where I had nothing planned I'd be "all-in". But my wife and I are actually going out tonight where we'll be meeting new people.

My current favorite -- Talisker 18 year. Someone bought it for me as a gift and it's now arguably my favorite:

(90-95) Points - Wine Enthusiast9.5/10 - Martine Nouet, Whisky Magazine9/10 - David Broom, Whisky Magazine93 Points - Malt AdvocateTalisker 18 Year is a delightfully complex single malt that seamlessly joins aromas of toffee, maple and honey with briny iodine and seaweed notes. The pronounced peat continues on the palate, but is joined by flavors of roasted nuts, anise, heather, and candied fruit. This polished and nuanced whisky evokes standing on seaside docks as notes of tar, soot, smoke, salt water, and aged wood reveal themselves. Product of ScotlandAlcohol by Volume: 45.8%At about 80 bucks a bottle it's not cheap, and not inexpensive enough for a daily drinker, but it's good for here and there.
At 80 bucks it's not cheap, but I'm now a big big fan.

What is a good higher end whiskey for a guy who likes 7 and 7s?

I recently decided to become more of a booze snob. Especially after reading that the hangovers aren't as severe with high shelf booze.

What is a good higher end whiskey for a guy who likes 7 and 7s?I recently decided to become more of a booze snob. Especially after reading that the hangovers aren't as severe with high shelf booze.
if you like 7 and 7's you're leaning towards the bourbon or canadian whiskey aspect of things. Seagram's 7 is an american blended whiskey, but not a bourbon.here's a couple selections that you might try:Forty Creek Canadian Whiskey - very smooth.. different flavor profile than 7... can be consumed on ice or in a cocktail.Eagle Rare or Evan Williams Single Barrell Bourbon - both of these are 10 years aged and single barrell... both are excellent and receive high ratings.. both can be consumed with an ice cube nicelynone of these are very expensive... the forty creek will be $20-23, the eagle rare will be like $27-29. the evan williams should be around $25-27They are all considered excellent values. They might not be the BEST... but they'll get you started on your quest to better booze

Until recently, I was almost exclusively a Jack Daniels drinker. Then I tried Johnny Walker Black. Suffice it to say, my Jack days are over. In fact, JWB is at hand while I type this. :banned:

Picked up a Talisker 10 year the other night. Sipping one on rocks right now actually. It's not quite as smooth and tasty as the 18 year, but I still enjoy it.

Also picked up a special something -- a Balvenie 14 year Caribbean cask -- it's aged in a former Caribbean rum cask. It is a little different and totally awesome.

Picked up a Talisker 10 year the other night. Sipping one on rocks right now actually. It's not quite as smooth and tasty as the 18 year, but I still enjoy it.Also picked up a special something -- a Balvenie 14 year Caribbean cask -- it's aged in a former Caribbean rum cask. It is a little different and totally awesome.
The Talisker improves exponentially from 10 to 18 to 25. Had a chance to taste all 3 at the distillery a couple years back. Also took home a bottle that blended all 3 and is only sold there. Very good.

Picked up a Talisker 10 year the other night. Sipping one on rocks right now actually. It's not quite as smooth and tasty as the 18 year, but I still enjoy it.Also picked up a special something -- a Balvenie 14 year Caribbean cask -- it's aged in a former Caribbean rum cask. It is a little different and totally awesome.
The Talisker improves exponentially from 10 to 18 to 25. Had a chance to taste all 3 at the distillery a couple years back. Also took home a bottle that blended all 3 and is only sold there. Very good.
Yup. A bottle of the 18 year was gifted to me (I have it at the office) and it could be the best scotch I've ever tasted. Absolutely love it. Went to the local liquor store to pick up a bottle and all they had was the 10. It's definitely not as good. But the 18 is dynamite.

Yup. A bottle of the 18 year was gifted to me (I have it at the office)
How is the gang at SCDP?

I thought I'd mentioned the Caribbean Cask earlier. Just went to get more today and they're out and waiting for the next shipment from Scotland. Apparently it's been selling quite well. There's a 17 also aged in rum casks ($99) and once that's gone, it's gone. The Balvenie reps say each year they're trotting out a new 17 of a different style so if you like the 14 and have a little spare cash, get the 17 before it's gone forever.

Big fan of the Balvenie 12 (Doublewood)....it's almost too sweet, a lot of candy apple taste in it.

What should I pick up as my next bottle? I've only had the Glenfidditch Solara 15 and this Balvenie...

Until recently, I was almost exclusively a Jack Daniels drinker. Then I tried Johnny Walker Black. Suffice it to say, my Jack days are over. In fact, JWB is at hand while I type this. :banned:
:banned: JWB has been my go to lately as well.

I've never had the Binny's selected versions of these so I can't comment on anything besides the standard bottlings. For me, Buffalo Trace is kinda meh. Elmer T Lee and Weller 12 are both good but short of great. As far as best overall based on what Binny's has, I'd say for "premium" bottles:

http://www.binnys.co...bon_195902.html

http://www.binnys.co...009_192683.html

http://www.binnys.co...bon_197734.html

And these are really good at a much lower price:

http://www.binnys.co...bon_192384.html

http://www.binnys.co...rel_192671.html

http://www.binnys.co...bon_193801.html

http://www.binnys.co...bon_195421.html

http://www.binnys.co...bon_196121.html

http://www.binnys.co...oof_190081.html

http://www.binnys.co...bon_197773.html

I've been a Makers Mark guy for quite awhile. Just recently got into Bookers and love it. But I tried Eagle Rare a couple weeks back (actually at the bar at the Waldorf Astoria in NY) and that stuff rocks. I'm thinking Eagle Rare is going to take over as my go-to bourbon.

I've been a Makers Mark guy for quite awhile. Just recently got into Bookers and love it. But I tried Eagle Rare a couple weeks back (actually at the bar at the Waldorf Astoria in NY) and that stuff rocks. I'm thinking Eagle Rare is going to take over as my go-to bourbon.
Yea, I found this stuff excellent as well. Looks like it'll be a fixture in my cabinet.

'5Rings said:
It's where my user name came from many years ago (needed a user name for some other board, was drinking JWB right then... worked well.)I've kind of moved on from it (most single malts are a lot better), but recently had some at a neighbors house - definitely still drinkable (smokier than I remember, too).

'bshell27 said:
Buffalo Trace - one of the best non-single barrel bourbons, an excellent mixer, an ok sipperElmer T. Lee - will be trying next weekend

Weller - don't know

Four Roses - just finished a bottle, good, but not a good value. There are better bourbons at better price points

i really like eagle rare 10 and Evan Williams Single Barrel (2000 was better than '01 by a nose)

Bought a bottle of Talisker 10 last night, hoping that it'd be a decent introduction to more smoky scotches. It was quite good, a pretty big departure from the sweeter ones I'd had previously.

I know very little about the scotch itself, other than that I'd heard of the distillery before. Did I make a good decision? Educate me...

It's where my user name came from many years ago (needed a user name for some other board, was drinking JWB right then... worked well.)I've kind of moved on from it (most single malts are a lot better), but recently had some at a neighbors house - definitely still drinkable (smokier than I remember, too).
Funny, I kind a transitioned the other way...came in from single malts to JWB as an everyday drinker. All :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread