What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The silver lining - Trumps successes/good moves in the eyes of those who generally oppose his policies and approach (3 Viewers)

President Trump called Monday for “strong background checks” in the wake of the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, and suggested pairing gun legislation with immigration reform, a top priority of his that he has failed to move through Congress.

“We cannot let those killed in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, die in vain,” Trump said in early-morning tweets, referring to the massacres that left 29 people dead.

“Likewise for those so seriously wounded,” he said. “We can never forget them, and those many who came before them. Republicans and Democrats must come together and get strong background checks, perhaps marrying this legislation with desperately needed immigration reform. We must have something good, if not GREAT, come out of these two tragic events!”

President Trump called Monday for “strong background checks” in the wake of the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, and suggested pairing gun legislation with immigration reform, a top priority of his that he has failed to move through Congress.

“We cannot let those killed in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, die in vain,” Trump said in early-morning tweets, referring to the massacres that left 29 people dead.

“Likewise for those so seriously wounded,” he said. “We can never forget them, and those many who came before them. Republicans and Democrats must come together and get strong background checks, perhaps marrying this legislation with desperately needed immigration reform. We must have something good, if not GREAT, come out of these two tragic events!”
As I said in the other thread...attaching immigration reform to this is why it isn't a good thing...disgusting actually to push for that crap on the 2 bills already waiting on the Senate for months.

Pass those bills...no amendments.  They have nothing to do with immigration reform.

Here it is for you on the Left, makes so much sense to get this done. Can the Left cooperate with him on something good for the country when it will be him delivering on a promise though cuz politics? Unfortunately I think I know the answer but hope I’m wrong. 

Here it is for you on the Left, makes so much sense to get this done. Can the Left cooperate with him on something good for the country when it will be him delivering on a promise though cuz politics? Unfortunately I think I know the answer but hope I’m wrong. 
Depends on what he means by immigration reform. Of course the Democrats are willing to work on immigration form. They've been ready for a long time.

Depends on what he means by immigration reform. Of course the Democrats are willing to work on immigration form. They've been ready for a long time.
It's either 2 or 3 bills now (lost track) sitting on McConnell's desk addressing immigration reform.  We also know the GOP isn't genuinely interested in gun reform though...it's a nice speech talking point, but won't go beyond that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes no sense to attach the wall or his version of immigration to fun control.

You know well he will have stuff added the Democrats and the country doesn't support.  And then will blame dems for not getting gun control passed.

His version of immigration reform is not good for the country is the point.

When you "hire John Bolton" you can't get credit for getting rid of John Bolton...
I'm trying to throw bones here :shrug:  

It's a huge step for a moron to acknowledge he's a moron and fix it (and no I don't really care about "fired" vs "resigned"....he's gone, that's all I care about at this point)

I'm trying to throw bones here :shrug:  

It's a huge step for a moron to acknowledge he's a moron and fix it (and no I don't really care about "fired" vs "resigned"....he's gone, that's all I care about at this point)
I'm ok here with the premise of the thread - I think Trump should get some credit when he's done something worthy.  I don't see how you can not care about "fired" vs. "resigned" in that regard - if John Bolton died of a heart attack today would you say Trump was successful in Bolton being gone?

I'm ok here with the premise of the thread - I think Trump should get some credit when he's done something worthy.  I don't see how you can not care about "fired" vs. "resigned" in that regard - if John Bolton died of a heart attack today would you say Trump was successful in Bolton being gone?
To be fair - when someone like Bolton "resigns" - they got fired.

Not sure where you're going but "no"?  If he was "fired" then he's gone because Trump pulled the trigger.  If he "resigned" its because Trump's actions and comments made it uncomfortable enough for him to quit.  To me, that's two sides of the same coin.  We're arguing over being gone via direct action vs indirect action.

Not sure where you're going but "no"?  If he was "fired" then he's gone because Trump pulled the trigger.  If he "resigned" its because Trump's actions and comments made it uncomfortable enough for him to quit.  To me, that's two sides of the same coin.  We're arguing over being gone via direct action vs indirect action.
So your silver lining in the resignation scenario is that Trump is so bad/corrupt/stupid that even John Bolton is no longer willing to work for him and resigned?  If you consider that a silver lining and a Trump success then I won't argue it - I don't agree but the thread is open for interpretation - so yours is as valid as mine.

So your silver lining in the resignation scenario is that Trump is so bad/corrupt/stupid that even John Bolton is no longer willing to work for him and resigned?  If you consider that a silver lining and a Trump success then I won't argue it - I don't agree but the thread is open for interpretation - so yours is as valid as mine.
Well, I posted on the premise that Trump actively pulled the trigger.  Does it help at all that I see it of the thinnest of lines?  I mean, that's pretty much where we are at this point, no?

I like the thread and really think we should give credit when Trump does something good. But the Bolton firing? It's a stretch. Everything I've seen of Trump to this point leads me to believe he fired Bolton to make room for someone worse. No credit for that. Hope I'm wrong, though. There is an opportunity to replace him with someone better. I'm not expecting it, but the opportunity is there.

I like the thread and really think we should give credit when Trump does something good. But the Bolton firing? It's a stretch. Everything I've seen of Trump to this point leads me to believe he fired Bolton to make room for someone worse. No credit for that. Hope I'm wrong, though. There is an opportunity to replace him with someone better. I'm not expecting it, but the opportunity is there.
Exactly. Bolton isn't leaving for his warmongering. He's leaving because he objected to Trump's inviting the Taliban to Camp David. And because Trump believes Chairman Kim of North Korea.

Well, I posted on the premise that Trump actively pulled the trigger.  Does it help at all that I see it of the thinnest of lines?  I mean, that's pretty much where we are at this point, no?
I may have missed some context - I was just addressing the idea that resign vs. fired doesn't make a difference.  I wasn't reading that as "resigned" I was reading it that Bolton left on his own.  Readily admit I wasn't up to date on the story and had only seen what was posted by some and the resignation letter.

It's good he's gone - so it's a positive.  I do agree with Sinn that you don't get a lot of credit though when you hired him to begin with.  I said back when Trump was elected that he had the opportunity to do things just about no other politician could do - actually reach across the aisle and get big things done.  As surprising as it may seem he could have been one of the greatest Presidents ever.  Instead he's made wrong decisions almost the entire way and is a laughing stock.  You want to throw him a bone for this then I won't stand in your way.

I may have missed some context - I was just addressing the idea that resign vs. fired doesn't make a difference.  I wasn't reading that as "resigned" I was reading it that Bolton left on his own.  Readily admit I wasn't up to date on the story and had only seen what was posted by some and the resignation letter.

It's good he's gone - so it's a positive.  I do agree with Sinn that you don't get a lot of credit though when you hired him to begin with.  I said back when Trump was elected that he had the opportunity to do things just about no other politician could do - actually reach across the aisle and get big things done.  As surprising as it may seem he could have been one of the greatest Presidents ever.  Instead he's made wrong decisions almost the entire way and is a laughing stock.  You want to throw him a bone for this then I won't stand in your way.
Actually don't disagree with much of this, but I did have doubts he could be mature beyond what he displayed on his TV shows.  That part I was never sold on.  I was hoping he'd surround himself with respectable people.  Obviously that didn't happen then he went full on Trump and here we are.  The only reason I posted this event in this thread was because I was thinking he actually fired him.  Who knows?  I don't care all that much.  It's the smallest of victories by normal standards.

Former Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) was once the chair of the House Intelligence Committee, but as of Thursday, he’s no longer being considered for a position in President Donald Trump’s administration. According to Roll Call, Issa couldn’t pass the background check.

Issa was slated to appear before a Senate confirmation hearing Thursday, but the White House refused to release the findings of the background checks for Issa. As a result, Senate Foreign Relations Chair Jim Risch (R-ID) agreed to “indefinitely delay former Rep. Darrell Issa’s confirmation hearing to lead the Trade and Development Agency.”

I have to say that Trump outright asking China in broad daylight to aid him politically is incredibly impressive. I envy the gigantic brass cajones on our Dear Leader. I wouldn’t call it a “good move” on his part but I wanted to bump this thread for the October crowd.

Not sure how much impact Trump had on this, but he is the CIC:

According to Pentagon sources, U.S. military special forces conducted an operation hours ago in Syria's northwestern Idlib province. The forces believe they killed the target - Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, leader of the Islamic Militant group #ISIS. #Trump speech 9am Sunday.

According to Pentagon sources, U.S. military special forces conducted an operation hours ago in Syria's northwestern Idlib province. The forces believe they killed the target - Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, leader of the Islamic Militant group #ISIS. #Trump speech 9am Sunday.
Reports so far are that al-Baghdadi detonated a suicide vest. I don’t celebrate many deaths, but I’m certainly not going to mourn him. 

Impossible 

TRUMP SAYS HE'S ALREADY BEATEN ISIS 'DECISIVELY' IN SYRIA, SAYS HE DOESN'T WANT TO BRING BACK TROOPS TO 'BEAT EVERYBODY AGAIN

1.  Keeping his promise to pull back on our world peacekeeper role 

2.  Standing up to China and repair damage of obama and Clinton era failures/lack of action 

3.  Addressing the immigration crisis(as clumsy as it has been) 

4.  Attacking the failure known as Obamacare 

5.  Criminal justice reform

1.  Keeping his promise to pull back on our world peacekeeper role 

2.  Standing up to China and repair damage of obama and Clinton era failures/lack of action 

3.  Addressing the immigration crisis(as clumsy as it has been) 

4.  Attacking the failure known as Obamacare 

5.  Criminal justice reform
Can you clarify any of these claims into something more concrete?

For example, the idea he is pulling back our world peacekeeper role is dubious at best.  There are still around 200,000 troops stationed abroad — more than when he took office — in peace-keeping and support missions.  

The immigration crisis not only hasn’t been addressed, it was made worse because of—and in many respects caused by—Trump.

”Standing up to China” has been a debacle.  At minimum, we are worse off now than before, and Trump’s approach has put us in a position of weakness in negotiations, not strength.  

The attacks on Obamacare have resulted in...attacks on Obamacare.

The First Step Act was a sensible piece of legislation toward criminal justice reform.  Am I missing something else or is that it?

Can you clarify any of these claims into something more concrete?

For example, the idea he is pulling back our world peacekeeper role is dubious at best.  There are still around 200,000 troops stationed abroad — more than when he took office — in peace-keeping and support missions.  

The immigration crisis not only hasn’t been addressed, it was made worse because of—and in many respects caused by—Trump.

”Standing up to China” has been a debacle.  At minimum, we are worse off now than before, and Trump’s approach has put us in a position of weakness in negotiations, not strength.  

The attacks on Obamacare have resulted in...attacks on Obamacare.

The First Step Act was a sensible piece of legislation toward criminal justice reform.  Am I missing something else or is that it?
There’s the old thought of “just start doing something” and then let some momentum build.  I’m doubtful that this is Trump’s strategy but I do think in his own way he’s trying to address these issues.  So I guess I’m sitting in the fence - I think he’s trying to keep promises he made during his campaign but because I think he’s incompetent he’s not executing on those at all.  

It goes back to something I said after he was elected - he seemed uniquely positioned to get some big things done but unfortunately didn’t have the experience or moral compass to follow through.  

I appreciate his candor in saying we use our troops as mercenaries.   Which is funny because we also hire tons of mercenaries ourselves.  Because we don't have enough troops.  Nothing makes money like a war.  

There were some people here that prior to Trump I didn't bother reading their posts because I so often completely disagreed with them.  Now not only do i read their posts I agree with them and see them in a much better light.  :)

Been a while since we could bump this thread, but this seems like a positive that's completely consumed by all the other nonsense he's throwing out there.  Haven't seen it anywhere here yet...just thought I'd share.
Or not.....i should just give up trying. Really.... what's the point?

https://www.axios.com/uae-f-35-arms-deal-israel-meeting-united-nations-896c572c-0488-4b4a-b3c6-61d0103a4556.html?utm_campaign=organic&utm_medium=socialshare&utm_source=twitter

Bahrain agrees to normalize relations with Israel. Seems like a good thing. 

Its my understanding that UAE and Bahrain are the low hanging fruit - they both basically had a backdoor relationship with Israel already. But the fact that they are coming out of the dark, so to speak, seems like a good thing. And a win for the Trump administration. 

It goes back to something I said after he was elected - he seemed uniquely positioned to get some big things done but unfortunately didn’t have the experience or moral compass to follow through.  
I look back on this and while I really thought it was true, I was probably smoking something when I thought it.

Bahrain agrees to normalize relations with Israel. Seems like a good thing. 

Its my understanding that UAE and Bahrain are the low hanging fruit - they both basically had a backdoor relationship with Israel already. But the fact that they are coming out of the dark, so to speak, seems like a good thing. And a win for the Trump administration. 
Did they get F-35s too?

Users who are viewing this thread