What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The silver lining - Trumps successes/good moves in the eyes of those who generally oppose his policies and approach (1 Viewer)

I thought Obama and Hillary were horrible ... but I can also give them credit and blame during their years and administration.

I didn't help elect Trump to be liked, I voted him because he talked conservative talk and so far, this nation has one very well with him. His mouth is a problem, always has been, he will never be Presidential. If he continues the next 2 years getting good things done though? He can tweet stupid stuff and keep the media hate going all he wants. I'd rather him not, but if we all keep doing better and that's the trade off so be it I suppose.

I vaguely remember nice guy Jimmy Carter who was very Presidential yet couldn't get anything done right.
That's fine.  Give him credit for actual accomplishments though.  For example, if NK would actually denuke, he'd deserve credit for that.

For running up a trillion dollar deficit during good economic times? Not so much.  What good is a booming economy if we're digging ourselves deeper into a hole?

I think the main silver lining is that Trump is accelerating the death of the Republican party. Now it'll still exist to a degree because there will be racists for the next few generations at least, but we might see the entire east coast go blue, and in a few years Texas as well. Thanks, Trump.

James Daulton said:
That's fine.  Give him credit for actual accomplishments though.  For example, if NK would actually denuke, he'd deserve credit for that.

For running up a trillion dollar deficit during good economic times? Not so much.  What good is a booming economy if we're digging ourselves deeper into a hole?
NK was firing missiles over Japan last couple of Obama years so yeah, where NK is today is a credit to Trump.

if Trump's administration keeps Obama's administration pace on spending, that's acceptable I'd think ... nobody really cared on adding to the national debt during those 8 years, why now ? unless its vastly more .... then that's Trump's to own too

NK was firing missiles over Japan last couple of Obama years so yeah, where NK is today is a credit to Trump.
I admit, I won't ever fully understand the elementary "if it happens when he's in office, it's his fault/success" shtick, so forgive me if these are dumb questions.  Are you saying that it's a positive to Trump that NK has the ability to reach the US with ICBMs now?  Are you saying it's a positive to Trump that his presidency is the only one where a rocket capable of reaching the US has ever been fired, and it's been done twice?  Are you saying it's a positive to Trump's Presidency that NK is opening new facilities in an effort to further their weaponry and significantly upgrade the technology behind their systems?  These all happened on Trump's watch and no one else's.  That's "where NK is today" but the disconnect for me is your use of the word "credit".  What do you mean by that?

if Trump's administration keeps Obama's administration pace on spending, that's acceptable I'd think
The questions continue to mount.  What do you mean by "keeps Obama's administration pace on spending" above?  Is that standard hit by Trump increasing spending by 50% (the most conservative estimate I could find...it's likely going to be 100-125% when all is said and done)?  Obama's last deficit was around $585 billion.  Trump's deficit for 2018 is projected to be almost $900 billion, at best.  

nobody really cared on adding to the national debt during those 8 years, why now ? unless its vastly more .... then that's Trump's to own too
Seems like an incredibly odd statement for a self proclaimed "fiscal conservative" to make.  Are you sure you're that?  You've made several comments similar to this that suggest at least one of a few things is true.  You either don't know the term and what it means.  You don't know the actual numbers and are going on "feel" (seems to be a popular approach with you).  Or it's some combo of both.  

And to correct the obviously bad straw man....there were plenty of us who aren't happy with the ballooning debt and have spoken on such since the time of GWB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit, I won't ever fully understand the elementary "if it happens when he's in office, it's his fault/success" shtick
I'm a simple man.

If the national debt grows at the SAME pace as under Obama, that's a Trump win. Doubling or tripling is a Trump lose.

If NK behaves, that's a win. If they start shooting missiles all over and breaches the peace, that's a lose.

If/When the funding for border walls are granted and the walls/barriers/addition border security is in place ..... if the numbers of illegals fall, drug trafficking falls, human trafficking numbers fall .... that's positive. If the numbers soar after additional border security, that's a fail. if there is no additional security and the numbers go up, that too is a Trump fail because he didn't get border security done

If the national debt grows at the SAME pace as under Obama, that's a Trump win. Doubling or tripling is a Trump lose.
There's no need for "ifs"...we can look at what's happening in all these instances.  The deficit's growth with the most kind assumptions possible is 50% faster than Obama's in a similar market.  Chances are that number will end up being 75-100% at the end of the fiscal year.

If NK behaves, that's a win. If they start shooting missiles all over and breaches the peace, that's a lose.
Behaves = simply not shooting missiles all over the place?  Yeah, that's a significant problem with your bar.  While you might be simple, it doesn't mean you get to set absurdly simple standards for complex topics.  It doesn't work that way.  I gave you all the events that are happening on Trump's watch as well as the things that have only happened on his watch.  You can ignore them if you want and reduce it to "he's not shooting missiles = win" if you want.  You won't be taken seriously.

If/When the funding for border walls are granted and the walls/barriers/addition border security is in place ..... if the numbers of illegals fall, drug trafficking falls, human trafficking numbers fall .... that's positive. If the numbers soar after additional border security, that's a fail. if there is no additional security and the numbers go up, that too is a Trump fail because he didn't get border security done
You'll never, ever be able to declare win/loss here based on your own established criteria.  There are so many more variable and a future that is unknowable that you'll never get passed the causation/correlation problem you always seem to run into.  I mean, even today, you are gobbling up the "crisis" shtick even though you've been shown that issues at our border have been decreasing over the last 10-20 years.  They are better now than they were 20 years ago, so clearly it's not as simple as "if the number goes up, it's a fail...if it goes down it's a win".  They have been going down, steadily, for years and you're still all in on "crisis" status.

There's no need for "ifs"...we can look at what's happening in all these instances.  The deficit's growth with the most kind assumptions possible is 50% faster than Obama's in a similar market.  Chances are that number will end up being 75-100% at the end of the fiscal year.
if that happens, its a negative, and on Trump's watch

if you don't think the NK situation is vastly better now under Trump than Obama that's your opinion

They have been going down, steadily, for years and you're still all in on "crisis" status.
you're trying to change the topic here - as for numbers give Obama credit and GW where its due then on illegals, human trafficking, walls being built, security funding, deportations etc etc ..... give them credit and blame for how many illegally people live in out nation etc

again, I'm simple. Chad Morris is responsible for the Hogs going 2-10 last year. You can argue it was all Bret Beliema .... but Morris is coach, not B and he'll take all the credit for the wins and blames for the losses regardless of the previous administration/staff

I view it simple like that

if you don't think the NK situation is vastly better now under Trump than Obama that's your opinion
It's interesting that you essentially punt on this after seeing the things that are happening on Trump's watch.  If you have an opinion as to why those things are good, then I'd like to hear the reasoning behind that opinion.

Deficit issues ARE happening...no "if" involved.

The rest....I don't have any idea what you're talking about.  You either agree that things are improving as the stats suggest, or you don't.  If you don't and the reason you don't is because your gut tells you something else, then so be it.  That's on you.  If you somehow agree with the stats and yet still suggest the claim of "crisis" is accurate, then you'd have to believe we've been in "crisis mode" for the better part of two decades, yet here we are....plugging along just fine as a country. :shrug:  

LOL

Trump does something really cool, Clemson players loved it, everyone loved it .......... and Trump is bashed and hated for it by anti-Trumites or at the very least given zero credit

LOL

Trump does something really cool, Clemson players loved it, everyone loved it .......... and Trump is bashed and hated for it by anti-Trumites or at the very least given zero credit
yeah no....to be clear, he can do whatever he wants.  This doesn't move the needle for me one way or the other.  I take exception with this sort of thing in this thread though.  The purpose is in the thread title.

LOL

It's funny but I don't think it is anything to praise or criticize for. Just good for a laugh.

Looking for positives today amid the nonsense.

The market is off to it`s best start since 1987 and up 240 points today so that is good. Hopefully that continues. The Metro-Detroit area is booming right now. If you are in any kind of IT, Tech, or skilled manufacturing, or just labor and need a job there is help wanted everywhere.  

Manufacturing up again .03 in December to finish the year very strong. Jobs were up again in December.   

I guess that is about it. 

I think that Trump's insistence on the wall will lead to increased border security and immigration law changes. It has put pressure on both parties to work on solutions to problems that I think many people agree exist. I think these changes will occur at a faster rate than they would have.

Also Trump supported criminal justice reform that effects federal prisoners which promotes rehabilitation and a less draconian effect on drug offenses.

Waiting for him to do something regarding promises related to drug price reduction and crumbling infrastructure.

Negatives greatly outweigh positives to me regarding Trump however. 

I think that Trump's insistence on the wall will lead to increased border security and immigration law changes. It has put pressure on both parties to work on solutions to problems that I think many people agree exist. I think these changes will occur at a faster rate than they would have.

Also Trump supported criminal justice reform that effects federal prisoners which promotes rehabilitation and a less draconian effect on drug offenses.

Waiting for him to do something regarding promises related to drug price reduction and crumbling infrastructure.

See...this appears to be the type of post missing by some. A way to acknowledge what you feel were positive and still admit the negative.

I may disagree on how big the border problems are...but this is a fair enough post that has logic and reason.

Moonlight said:

Also Trump supported the banning of bump stocks on weapons. Another thing I like is Trump's willingness to confront China about its predatory trade practices. Obama seemed asleep at the switch on this. Are tariffs the answer? I don't know but Trump was willing to call them out and took action.

Also Trump supported the banning of bump stocks on weapons. Another thing I like is Trump's willingness to confront China about its predatory trade practices. Obama seemed asleep at the switch on this. Are tariffs the answer? I don't know but Trump was willing to call them out and took action.
Agree with all this.  

Bump stocks was an easy one but yeah...he went along with it.

China IMO is much more complicated.  But I would disagree that Obama did nothing.  TPP was a big deal and working towards such things. Trump is working towards it now after quickly withdrawing from that deal.

I don’t like Trump’s trade war at all, but I am hoping for the best in these current negotiations with China. Hopefully he can get a good deal out of it and if so I will happily congratulate him. 

Sarcasm meter is apparently broken.
No. I got it.

As for silver linings, there are none. Even those that appear on the surface to be good decisions, there is always, always, an underlying element which inherently is the real reason for them. The decision(s) somehow, some way, enriches DJT and/or his family (and I don't necessarily mean always financially.)

So, I was surprised this did not get bumped with Trump's big plans to end the criminalization of homosexuality.

But then there is this

Video in link

Q: Mr. President, on your push to decriminalize homosexuality, are you doing that? And why?

TRUMP: Say it?

Q: Your push to decriminalize homosexuality around the world.

TRUMP: I don't know which report you're talking about. We have many reports.

Via Yahoo News

So, I was surprised this did not get bumped with Trump's big plans to end the criminalization of homosexuality.

But then there is this

Video in link

Q: Mr. President, on your push to decriminalize homosexuality, are you doing that? And why?

TRUMP: Say it?

Q: Your push to decriminalize homosexuality around the world.

TRUMP: I don't know which report you're talking about. We have many reports.

Via Yahoo News
Yeah saw both those stories recently. Who knows, his administration is so disorganized. I like the idea of this and I would love to see him give some international speeches and put pressure on other countries.

Yeah saw both those stories recently. Who knows, his administration is so disorganized. I like the idea of this and I would love to see him give some international speeches and put pressure on other countries.
Sounds like he has no idea what you are talking about...

I learned early in this thread that it's just best to wait for the thing to actually happen.  He's so unreliable and lies so much, the mere mention/promise of it really isn't worth anything.

If Trump's Space Force talk is related to advancements in space travel and protecting ourselves from attack from space then I'm in favor of this. China's advancements in space technology are reasons to be concerned.

If I am being honest, I think one thing Trump should get credit for is that he has made it far easier for a Democrat to win election in 2020:

Trump is down double digits in key battleground states since the presidential election, according to Morning Consult.
Here's how Trump's net approval has shifted since he won in 2016:

Florida (-24 net approval)
Ohio (-20)
Michigan (-19)
Wisconsin (-18)
Pennsylvania (-17)

Keeps the economy humming 195,000 new jobs in March, unemployment near all time low, people who vote with their  pocket books love these numbers

Keeps the economy humming 195,000 new jobs in March, unemployment near all time low, people who vote with their  pocket books love these numbers
Do farmers?  Or all those he has cost with his trade policies?  Did those same people love the numbers just last month when About 20,000 were added?  

I'm hearing Trump getting criticized for awarding Tiger Woods the Presidential Medal of Freedom.   This is just stupid.   It's not like you have to do something heroic to preserve our freedoms to get this medal.   There are like 25 other sports figures who have received it, including Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer.

There are so many valid reasons to criticize this administration and this President it seems wholly unnecessary for people to attack Trump over trivial nonsense like this.  

Yesterday President Trump offered a series of new proposals to reduce health care costs: 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/09/trump-takes-on-surprise-medical-bills-in-push-to-lower-health-costs.html?recirc=taboolainternal

Notably he proposed allowing certain states to purchase prescription drugs from abroad- depending on the details that would be a very big deal, but why only certain states? At least some of this is bipartisan. I very much like that Trump is moving in this direction, even though if he is successful it’s the sort of thing that could help him get re-elected. 

Yesterday President Trump offered a series of new proposals to reduce health care costs: 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/09/trump-takes-on-surprise-medical-bills-in-push-to-lower-health-costs.html?recirc=taboolainternal

Notably he proposed allowing certain states to purchase prescription drugs from abroad- depending on the details that would be a very big deal, but why only certain states? At least some of this is bipartisan. I very much like that Trump is moving in this direction, even though if he is successful it’s the sort of thing that could help him get re-elected. 
Bump. No thoughts on this? I think President Trump is doing some good work here. 

Users who are viewing this thread