What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The TidesofWar Top 25 College Football Programs (1 Viewer)

This seriously is great schtick.

Best collegeFB programs of all time:

25. Clemson

24. Arkansas

23. Michigan State

22. Colorado

Well effing done JoeT

The Commish said:
L5UT1ger said:
As an aside, I am thinking that The Commish needs to put in his signiture that he does recognize college football national championships as he does not agree with an arbitrary system. EVERY thread about college football he gets someone to have that discussion with him. Keep up with your notebooks people!
:popcorn: I can't help myself......like a moth to a flame.
We get it. Not another year of this, please.
:goodposting: When people stop being stupid, I'll stop. Pretty simple.
Good. So you admit what you're doing is stupid. That's always the first step.

The Commish said:
L5UT1ger said:
As an aside, I am thinking that The Commish needs to put in his signiture that he does recognize college football national championships as he does not agree with an arbitrary system. EVERY thread about college football he gets someone to have that discussion with him. Keep up with your notebooks people!
:lmao: I can't help myself......like a moth to a flame.
We get it. Not another year of this, please.
:shrug: When people stop being stupid, I'll stop. Pretty simple.
Good. So you admit what you're doing is stupid. That's always the first step.
:hophead:

the hairy scotsman said:
[

TidesofWar said:
Notable Colorado players include Rasaam Salaam, Cullen Bryant, Joel Klatt, Mason Crosby, Barry Remington, ray Cone, Michael Westbrook, and Koy Detmer.
No Kordell? Nice snub.
Seriously.That list is useless w/o Stewart.
Uh, what about Byron "Whizzer" White?
And Eric Bieniemy?
No intentional snubs, just trying to throw out some noted players for each team.I actually appreciate folks adding other names.I will be out all day, but will have #21 tomorrow afternoon, most likely.

whoknew said:
TidesofWar said:
#22 - THE COLORADO BUFFALOS

The Buffs won the National Title in 1990, Coached by Bill Mcartney and going 11-1-1, capped by an Orange bowl victory over Notre Dame. Colorado took the AP, Football Writers, and National Football Foundation Titles.
Phantom clip
:confused: :goodposting:

Seems like a good thread for my interesting College Football History fact:

They've had NFL All-Decade teams from the 20s through the 90s. Here are the schools with a player from that school on them in 4 or more decades:

Notre Dame - 7

Penn State - 6

Alabama - 5

Michigan - 5

Nebraska - 5

UCLA - 5

USC - 5

Wisconsin - 5

Minnesota - 4

Ohio State - 4

Oregon - 4

Tennessee - 4

Texas - 4

Apropos of nothing, but it is interesting in terms of longevity as a program.

#21 - THE TEXAS A&M AGGIES

The Aggies are 660-443-48 all time, for a .600 winning percentage. TAMU has 18 Conference Crowns to its credit - 17 Southwest Conference Titles between 1917 and 1993, and one Big 12 Crown in 1998.

The Aggies won the AP Title in 1939, going undefeated under legendary Coach Homer Norton, and also claim National Titles from these other selectors....................

1935) 8-1 - Massey

1940 ) 10-0 - Helms, Libby, and Poling

1917) 8-0 - Howell

1919) 10-0 - Billingsley, NCF

1927) 8-0-1 Sagarin

The Aggies boasted perfect records in 1917, 1919, and 1939. They have competed in 30 Bowl games, going 13-17, and have won two Big 12 South Division titles.

Some notable former players include Reggie McNeal, Dat Ngyuen, Bob Smith, Jelly Woodman, Aaron Wallace, Robert Ferguson, John David Crow (Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant's only Heisman winner), Shanne Lechler, Tony Franklin, Lester "Stick-em" Hayes, Dave Emendorf, Jack Pardee, Yale Lary and many more - please add your own!

College Station also has seen more than its share of outstanding Head Coaches. Hera are some, with records....................

Dana X Bible) 72-19-9

Homer Norton) 82-53-9

Paul Bryant) 25-14-2

Gene Stallings) 27-45-1

Emory Bellard) 52-29

Jackie Sherrill) 52-28-1

RC Slocum) 123-47-2

Of this storied collection, it is RC Slocum who has the best winning percentage (72%)

Some Aggie History..................................

Aggie Terminology

Every university has its own set of traditions which help to distinguish it from other institutions. Texas A&M University is no exception. Perhaps nowhere else, though, are those traditions as interwoven into the very fabric of the university than they are at Texas A&M. As a result, Aggies have a lingo that is all their own. The following list of terms helps to define what being an Aggie is all about.

A&M

Shortened form for Texas A&M University. Originally, the letters stood for Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas; now, the letters are retained merely as part of the University’s tradition and history.

Aggie

A student, former student or supporter of Texas A&M University. Term is derived from A&M’s agricultural heritage. Aggies are sometimes also referred to as farmers.

Aggie Code of Honor

For many years, Aggies have followed a Code of Honor, which is stated in this very simple verse: “Aggies do not lie, cheat, or steal, nor do they tolerate those who do.”

AggielandHome of Texas A&M University.

All-U Night

All-University Night—the first Yell Practice of the semester. Event includes introductions of men’s and women’s intercollegiate athletic teams, coaching staff and yell leaders.

Association of Former Students

There is no such thing at A&M as an alumni association or an Ex-Aggie; there are only former students. The Association of Former Students serves the same purpose as an alumni association, but an individual doesn’t have to graduate from A&M to be a member. Once an Aggie, always an Aggie.

Corps of Cadets

Military-oriented organization, which is the oldest student group on the A&M campus. Texas A&M annually commissions more officers for the armed forces than any other ROTC source in the nation.

Elephant Walk

Annual ceremony held the day before bonfire in which seniors gather in front of the Academic Building, form a single line and wander about the campus like old elephants seeking a secluded spot to end their days.

Fish

A freshman.

Fish Camp

Freshman orientation camp held just before classes begin in the fall. Provides an overall introduction to Texas A&M.

Gig ’Em

One of many Aggie yells.

Howdy!

Traditional Aggie greeting; a derivative of “hello”. Sometimes garbled to sound like “hahdy”. Aggies pride themselves on their friendliness and greet each other and visitors with a “Howdy” as they walk across campus.

Hullabaloo, Caneck! Caneck!

First words to the “Aggie War Hymn,” A&M’s fight song, which was written by J.V. (Pinky) Wilson while standing guard on the Rhine during World War I.

Humping It

Position taken by an Aggie when giving a yell. Bending forward from the waist with the hands placed just above the knees properly aligns the back, mouth and throat for maximum volume.

Jollie Rollie

G. Rollie White Coliseum—the place where the Aggies play volleyball. Before Reed Arena was built, "Jollie Rollie" was the home of Aggie Basketball and held special events like graduation, Muster and Town Hall concerts.

MSC

Memorial Student Center. No one steps on the grass surrounding the MSC, which was built in honor of Aggies who died in battle.

Ol’ Army

Like it “used to be” at A&M.

Redpots

The students responsible for coordinating the building of Bonfire. There are 16 (8 seniors, 8 juniors), and they wear red hardhats or “pots”.

Sully

Statue of Lawrence Sullivan Ross, former Governor of Texas and former President of Texas A&M. It stands in front of the Academic Building.

t.u.

That “other school” in Austin is not the “University of Texas.” To an Aggie, it’s “t.u.,” without capital letters.

Tea-sip

Student at t.u.

Two Percenters

Students who do not display the true Aggie Spirit.

Whoop!

Aggie expression of approval.

Yell Practice

Spirit session which builds enthusiasm for an upcoming athletic contest. Under the direction of the Yell Leaders, Aggies show their support for the team by shouting the yells with spirit and singing the Aggie songs with pride. Held at midnight at Kyle Field before home football games.

Silver Taps

This is one of the most emotional of all Aggie traditions. The solemn ceremony is a tribute and honor to an Aggie who has died. The ceremony is held in front of the Academic Building on the first Tuesday of every month at 10:30 p.m., if a student died during the preceding month. Students gather around the area, the campus lights are dimmed (cars included); chimes play from the Albritton Tower; a detachment from the Ross Volunteers fires three volleys; and buglers from the Aggie band play Silver Taps three times. The Ceremony is quite moving because the only sense one witnesses it with is sound. The family members of the deceased Aggie are invited as special guests at the ceremony.

Muster

Muster was first held in 1883 when Aggies met June 26 to “live over their college days.” The early meetings were parties and banquets held during the commencement exercises. Soon, a permanent date was set — April 21 — and it became a time to pay homage to students and former students who died during the past year. At today’s Muster, living comrades answer “here” to the roll call at the largest ceremony before a full house in Reed Arena, for their friends who have passed on. During World War I, groups of Aggies held Muster in trenches in Europe. In l923, former students began holding Muster throughout Texas, the nation and numerous other parts of the world — to let Aggies remember old days and meet old friends.

The 12th Man

The 12th Man tradition was born in 1922 at the Dixie Classic in Dallas, Texas. Today, students stand throughout the entire game in readiness in case they are needed to go into the game.

One of the most well-known traditions at Texas A&M is the 12th Man. The story of this colorful tradition has been told and retold to generations of Aggie students, and is part of the cohesive substance that binds A&M students together forever. The 12th Man is the reason A&M students stand for each entire football game. When Aggie students stand during games, it is this spirit and loyalty they are remembering. They stand in readiness in case they are needed to go into the game like the original 12th Man, E. King Gill.

The Late Dr. Gill of Corpus Christi related this story a few years ago:

"It was in January, 1922, following the 1921 football season. The Aggies were SWC champions and had been invited to play Centre College in what was then called the Dixie Classic in Dallas. I had played on the football team but was on the basketball team at that time and those in charge felt I was more valuable to the basketball team (Gill was an All-SWC basketball player in 1923). I was in Dallas, however, and even rode to the stadium in the same taxi with Coach Dana X. Bible. I was in civilian clothes and was not to be in uniform. Coach Bible asked me to assist in spotting players for the late Jinx Tucker (sports editor of the Waco News-Tribune) in the press box. So, I was up in the press box, helping Jinx Tucker when, near the end of the first half, I was called down to the Texas A&M bench. There had been a number of injuries but it was not until I arrived on the field that I learned that Coach Bible wanted me to put on a football uniform and be ready to play if he needed me. There were no dressing rooms at the stadium in those days. The team had dressed downtown at the hotel and traveled to the stadium in taxi cabs. Anyway, I put on the uniform of one of the injured players. We got under the stands and he put on my clothes and I put on his uniform. I was ready to play but never was sent into the game.”

The Aggie War Hymn

First Verse

All hail to dear old Texas A&M,

Rally around Maroon and White,

Good luck to the dear old Texas Aggies,

They are the boys who show the fight.

That good old Aggie spirit thrills us.

And makes us yell and yell and yell; --

So let's fight for dear old Texas A&M,

We're goin' to beat you all to --

Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem!

Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem!

Rough! Tough!

Real stuff! Texas A&M!

Second Verse

Good-bye to Texas University.

So long to the Orange and White.

Good luck to the dear old Texas Aggies,

They are the boys who show

the real old fight.

The eyes of Texas are upon you.

That is the song they sing so well,

So, good-bye to Texas University,

We're goin' to beat you all to --

Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem!

Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem!

Rough! Tough!

Real stuff! Texas A&M!

Saw Varsity's Horns Off (normally follows War Hymn)

Saw Varsity's Horns Off!

Saw Varsity's Horns Off!

Saw Varsity's Horns Off!

Short!

Varsity's Horns are Sawed Off!

Short!

The Spirit of Aggieland

Some may boast of prowess bold

Of the school they think so grand,

But there's a spirit can ne'er be told

It's the spirit of Aggieland.

Chorus

We are the Aggies -- the Aggies are we.

True to each other as Aggies can be.

We've got to FIGHT boys,

We've got to FIGHT!

We've got to fight for Maroon and White.

After they' ve boosted all the rest,

They will come and join the best.

For we are the Aggies --

the Aggies so true,

We're from Texas A. M. U.

Second Chorus

T--E--X--A--S, A--G--G--I--E,

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Fight! Maroon!

White--White--White!

A--G--G--I--E, Texas!

Texas! A. M. U.

GIG 'EM AGGIES! 1! 2! 3!

FARMERS FIGHT! FARMERS FIGHT!

Fight -- fight --

Farmers, farmers, fight!
As you can see - Aggie roots run deep into its agricultural history.Some photos................................

Twelth Men at Kyle Field

Aggie Bonfire

The Macot Reveille

Agiie Cheerleaders :)

Dana X Bible - Aggie Head Coach

R C Slocum

Coaches Paul Bryant and Gene Stallings - 1968 Cotton Bowl

The Coward Franchione gets served

Aggie fortunes have taken a dip recently, and they are currently pinning their hopes on former Packer Head Coach Mike Sherman, who went 4-8 in year one.

Good luck with that.

As they say in College Station - "Gig 'Em Aggies!!"

The Aggies are 660-443-48 all time, for a .600 winning percentage. TAMU has 18 Conference Crowns to its credit - 17 Southwest Conference Titles between 1917 and 1993, and one Big 12 Crown in 1998.

The Aggies won the AP Title in 1939, going undefeated under legendary Coach Homer Norton, and also claim National Titles from these other selectors....................

1935) 8-1 - Massey

1917) 8-0 - Howell

1927) 8-0-1 Sagarin

The Aggies boasted perfect records in 1917, 1919, and 1939. They have competed in 30 Bowl games, going 13-17, and have won two Big 12 South Division titles.

Some notable former players include Reggie McNeal, Dat Ngyuen, Bob Smith, Jelly Woodman, Aaron Wallace, Robert Ferguson, John David Crow (Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant's only Heisman winner), Shanne Lechler, Tony Franklin, Lester "Stick-em" Hayes, Dave Emendorf, Jack Pardee, Yale Lary and many more - please add your own!

College Station also has seen more than its share of outstanding Head Coaches. Hera are some, with records....................

Dana X Bible) 72-19-9

Homer Norton) 82-53-9

Paul Bryant) 25-14-2

Gene Stallings) 27-45-1

Emory Bellard) 52-29

Jackie Sherrill) 52-28-1

RC Slocum) 123-47-2

Of this storied collection, it is RC Slocum who has the best winning percentage (72%)

Little sooner than I was expecting, but hard to argue lately. :rolleyes: But to add..Aaron Glenn, Dante Hall, Dan Campbell, Sam Adams, Ray Childress, Ty Warren, Pat Williams, Brandon Mitchell, Warrick Holdman, Quentin Coryatt, Reggie Brown (paralyzed in Detroit), Bethel Johnson, Terrence Murphy, Richmond Webb, Ray Mickens, Kevin Smith, more :nerd:

Last edited by a moderator:
Balance said:
TidesofWar said:

1935) 8-1 - Massey

1917) 8-0 - Howell

1927) 8-0-1 Sagarin

Dana X Bible) 72-19-9

Homer Norton) 82-53-9

Paul Bryant) 25-14-2

Gene Stallings) 27-45-1

Emory Bellard) 52-29

Jackie Sherrill) 52-28-1

RC Slocum) 123-47-2

Little sooner than I was expecting, but hard to argue lately. :lmao: But to add..Aaron Glenn, Dante Hall, Dan Campbell, Sam Adams, Ray Childress, Ty Warren, Pat Williams, Brandon Mitchell, Warrick Holdman, Quentin Coryatt, Reggie Brown (paralyzed in Detroit), Bethel Johnson, Terrence Murphy, Richmond Webb, Ray Mickens, Kevin Smith, more :goodposting:
The fact that A&M has no real National Title claims since 1939 and 1940 is the main reason I can see them no higher than 21.

Balance said:
TidesofWar said:

1935) 8-1 - Massey

1917) 8-0 - Howell

1927) 8-0-1 Sagarin

Dana X Bible) 72-19-9

Homer Norton) 82-53-9

Paul Bryant) 25-14-2

Gene Stallings) 27-45-1

Emory Bellard) 52-29

Jackie Sherrill) 52-28-1

RC Slocum) 123-47-2

Little sooner than I was expecting, but hard to argue lately. :wall: But to add..Aaron Glenn, Dante Hall, Dan Campbell, Sam Adams, Ray Childress, Ty Warren, Pat Williams, Brandon Mitchell, Warrick Holdman, Quentin Coryatt, Reggie Brown (paralyzed in Detroit), Bethel Johnson, Terrence Murphy, Richmond Webb, Ray Mickens, Kevin Smith, more :popcorn:
Bucky freaking Richardson....

Balance said:
TidesofWar said:

1935) 8-1 - Massey

1917) 8-0 - Howell

1927) 8-0-1 Sagarin

Dana X Bible) 72-19-9

Homer Norton) 82-53-9

Paul Bryant) 25-14-2

Gene Stallings) 27-45-1

Emory Bellard) 52-29

Jackie Sherrill) 52-28-1

RC Slocum) 123-47-2

Little sooner than I was expecting, but hard to argue lately. :thumbup: But to add..Aaron Glenn, Dante Hall, Dan Campbell, Sam Adams, Ray Childress, Ty Warren, Pat Williams, Brandon Mitchell, Warrick Holdman, Quentin Coryatt, Reggie Brown (paralyzed in Detroit), Bethel Johnson, Terrence Murphy, Richmond Webb, Ray Mickens, Kevin Smith, more :goodposting:
Bucky freaking Richardson....
Greatest fullback ever to come out of A&M!

As a UCLA fan, I wish we belonged in this august list but, sadly, Tides is correct, we do not.

For me, if you look through the entire history of college football, there is only one program which has maintained it's incredible high level of excellence through nearly every decade. That program is the University of Michigan Wolverines.
I don't think you could be more wrong. UCLA is easily one of the Top 25 programs of all-time.

As a UCLA fan, I wish we belonged in this august list but, sadly, Tides is correct, we do not.

For me, if you look through the entire history of college football, there is only one program which has maintained it's incredible high level of excellence through nearly every decade. That program is the University of Michigan Wolverines.
I don't think you could be more wrong. UCLA is easily one of the Top 25 programs of all-time.
We are talking College Football, not BasketballAs for Michigan Football, they are a legit candidate for #1 :lmao:

We are talking College Football, not BasketballAs for Michigan Football, they are a legit candidate for #1 :loco:
Perhaps you're the wrong guy to be making a list of the top college football programs as it appears you lack historical knowledge:
All Time Final AP Football Poll

Rank Team Points Top 20 Top 10 Top 5 1st 2nd

1. Michigan 741 53 37 15 2 2

2. Oklahoma 722.5 46 34 27 6 4

3. Notre Dame 710.5 48 35 22 8 5

4. Ohio State 675 46 28 19 4 7

5. ALABAMA 637 44 32 18 6 2

6. Nebraska 617 41 30 13 4 2

7. Southern Cal 575 41 25 17 5 5

8. Texas 573 39 24 8 3 1

9. TENNESSEE 548 40 23 13 2 4

10. Penn State 486 37 22 14 2 3

11. Miami (Florida) 439 27 15 10 5 4

12. Florida State 413 23 15 15 2 2

13. LSU 412 31 19 8 2 2

14. GEORGIA 400 28 18 9 1 2

15. AUBURN 396 32 16 7 1 1

16. FLORIDA 370.5 24 14 9 2 1

17. UCLA 352 30 16 9 0 1

18. ARKANSAS 293 26 13 3 0 1

19. Michigan State 266 20 13 7 1 4

20. Texas A&M 264 22 11 2 1 0

21. Washington 260 20 10 5 0 2

22. Georgia Tech 227.5 20 10 5 0 2

23. OLE MISS 223.5 18 10 4 0 2

24. Colorado 218 18 8 5 1 0

25. Iowa 217 18 11 3 0 1

26. Pittsburgh 207 17 10 6 2 1

27. Wisconsin 205 15 10 3 0 1

28. Clemson 203 20 6 1 1 0

29. Minnesota 175 14 9 5 4 0

30. Army 174 14 8 6 2 2

31. Arizona State 167.5 15 7 3 0 1

32. Maryland 164.5 17 5 3 1 0

33. Virginia Tech 161 11 6 1 0 1

34. California 153 12 6 4 0 1

35. Syracuse 150.5 12 5 2 1 0

36. North Carolina 144 15 7 1 0 0

37. Navy 143.5 11 8 7 0 1

38. Kansas State 143 8 6 0 0 0

39. Missouri 142.5 13 7 2 0 0

40. Illinois 137 11 6 3 0 0

41. West Virginia 136 13 6 2 0 0

42. Purdue 135.5 15 5 1 0 0

43. Duke 130 16 5 2 0 1

44. Brigham Young 128 11 3 2 1 0

45. Boston College 119.5 10 4 2 0 0

46. Stanford 116 12 5 1 0 1

47. Texas Christian 115 9 4 1 1 0

48. Southern Methodist 113 11 6 3 0 1

49. Houston 106.5 12 5 2 0 0

50. Washington State 98 9 4 0 0 0

51. Northwestern 96 8 5 0 0 0

52. Oregon 88 5 3 1 0 1

53. Oregon State 81 5 3 1 0 0

54. Kansas 76 6 3 0 0 0

55. North Carolina State 69 10 0 0 0 0

56. Baylor 68.5 10 1 0 0 0

57. Louisville 68 5 2 0 0 0

58. Rice 66 8 4 1 0 0

59. Texas Tech 65 7 0 0 0 0

60. Oklahoma State 61 6 2 1 0 0

61. Pennsylvania 60 7 3 0 0 0

62. Fordham 58 6 2 1 0 0

63. KENTUCKY 56 8 2 0 0 0

Virginia 56 6 0 0 0 0

Boise State 56 4 1 1 0 0

66. Santa Clara 55 6 2 0 0 0

Air Force 55 5 2 0 0 0

68. MISSISSIPPI STATE 53.5 8 1 0 0 0

69. Utah 53 4 2 1 0 0

70. Arizona 51 6 2 1 0 0

71. Tulane 50.5 7 2 1 0 0

72. Miami (Ohio) 48 5 2 0 0 0

73. Tulsa 47 6 1 1 0 0

74. Cornell 43 5 1 1 0 0

75. SOUTH CAROLINA 42 5 0 0 0 0

76. Indiana 38 5 2 2 0 0

77. Dartmouth 35 5 1 0 0 0

Princeton 35 4 2 0 0 0

79. Iowa Pre-Flight 34 2 2 1 0 1

Yale 34 4 0 0 0 0

81. Wyoming 33 3 1 0 0 0

82. Duquesne 31 3 2 0 0 0

Colorado State 31 3 0 0 0 0

84. Holy Cross 26.5 5 1 0 0 0

85. Villanova 26 3 1 0 0 0

86. Rutgers 25 4 0 0 0 0

87. March Field 22 2 2 0 0 0

88. Bainbridge NTS 20 2 1 1 0 0

Great Lakes 19 2 1 0 0 0

Southern Miss 19 2 0 0 0 0

91. Randolph Field 18 1 1 1 0 0

William & Mary 18 3 0 0 0 0

East Carolina 18 2 1 0 0 0

Toledo 18 2 0 0 0 0

Marshall 18 1 1 0 0 0

96. Carnegie Tech 15 1 1 0 0 0

97. St. Mary's (California) 14 1 1 0 0 0

98. Del Monte P-F 13 1 1 0 0 0

Pacific 13 2 1 0 0 0

Hawaii 13 2 0 0 0 0

101. Wake Forest 12 3 0 0 0 0

102. Utah State 11 1 1 0 0 0

103. VANDERBILT 9 1 0 0 0 0

Cincinnati 9 1 0 0 0 0

105. Georgetown 8 1 0 0 0 0

106. Norman P-F 7.5 1 0 0 0 0

107. San Francisco 7 1 0 0 0 0

108. Fresno State 6 0 0 0 0 0

109. Boston University 5 1 0 0 0 0

El Toro Maines 5 1 0 0 0 0

San Diego State 5 1 0 0 0 0

112. George Washington 4 1 0 0 0 0

Hardin-Simmons 4 1 0 0 0 0

New Mexico State 4 1 0 0 0 0

Temple 4 1 0 0 0 0

116. Colorado College 3 1 0 0 0 0

Fort Pierce 3 1 0 0 0 0

Washington & Lee 3 1 0 0 0 0

Iowa State 3 1 0 0 0 0

Bowling Green 3 0 0 0 0 0

121. Columbia 2 2 0 0 0 0

Delaware 2 1 0 0 0 0

Lafayette 2 1 0 0 0 0

St. Mary's P-F 2 1 0 0 0 0

125. Marquette 1 1 0 0 0 0

Ohio University 1 1 0 0 0 0

Second Air Force 1 1 0 0 0 0

Virginia Military 1 1 0 0 0 0
From your conference's website.UCLA also has 17 Pac-10 Championships, which is 2nd in the conference all-time. I'm not sure how you can make an argument AGAINST their inclusion unless you didn't actually do any research.

If Alabama is rated highly, are you giving credence to NCAA violations and cheating?

lol@2nd most PAC-10 championships being an argument for inclusion in the all-time top 25. Troy State has won the second most Sun Belt conference championships. You want to include them too?

lol@2nd most PAC-10 championships being an argument for inclusion in the all-time top 25. Troy State has won the second most Sun Belt conference championships. You want to include them too?
Genuine question here....Did they win those conference titles when it was really 10 teams or was their reign prior to that with just 8? I don't know...just asking.

We are talking College Football, not BasketballAs for Michigan Football, they are a legit candidate for #1 :popcorn:
Perhaps you're the wrong guy to be making a list of the top college football programs as it appears you lack historical knowledge:
All Time Final AP Football Poll

Rank Team Points Top 20 Top 10 Top 5 1st 2nd

1. Michigan 741 53 37 15 2 2

2. Oklahoma 722.5 46 34 27 6 4

3. Notre Dame 710.5 48 35 22 8 5

4. Ohio State 675 46 28 19 4 7

5. ALABAMA 637 44 32 18 6 2

6. Nebraska 617 41 30 13 4 2

7. Southern Cal 575 41 25 17 5 5

8. Texas 573 39 24 8 3 1

9. TENNESSEE 548 40 23 13 2 4

10. Penn State 486 37 22 14 2 3

11. Miami (Florida) 439 27 15 10 5 4

12. Florida State 413 23 15 15 2 2

13. LSU 412 31 19 8 2 2

14. GEORGIA 400 28 18 9 1 2

15. AUBURN 396 32 16 7 1 1

16. FLORIDA 370.5 24 14 9 2 1

17. UCLA 352 30 16 9 0 1

18. ARKANSAS 293 26 13 3 0 1

19. Michigan State 266 20 13 7 1 4

20. Texas A&M 264 22 11 2 1 0

21. Washington 260 20 10 5 0 2

22. Georgia Tech 227.5 20 10 5 0 2

23. OLE MISS 223.5 18 10 4 0 2

24. Colorado 218 18 8 5 1 0

25. Iowa 217 18 11 3 0 1

26. Pittsburgh 207 17 10 6 2 1

27. Wisconsin 205 15 10 3 0 1

28. Clemson 203 20 6 1 1 0

29. Minnesota 175 14 9 5 4 0

30. Army 174 14 8 6 2 2

31. Arizona State 167.5 15 7 3 0 1

32. Maryland 164.5 17 5 3 1 0

33. Virginia Tech 161 11 6 1 0 1

34. California 153 12 6 4 0 1

35. Syracuse 150.5 12 5 2 1 0

36. North Carolina 144 15 7 1 0 0

37. Navy 143.5 11 8 7 0 1

38. Kansas State 143 8 6 0 0 0

39. Missouri 142.5 13 7 2 0 0

40. Illinois 137 11 6 3 0 0

41. West Virginia 136 13 6 2 0 0

42. Purdue 135.5 15 5 1 0 0

43. Duke 130 16 5 2 0 1

44. Brigham Young 128 11 3 2 1 0

45. Boston College 119.5 10 4 2 0 0

46. Stanford 116 12 5 1 0 1

47. Texas Christian 115 9 4 1 1 0

48. Southern Methodist 113 11 6 3 0 1

49. Houston 106.5 12 5 2 0 0

50. Washington State 98 9 4 0 0 0

51. Northwestern 96 8 5 0 0 0

52. Oregon 88 5 3 1 0 1

53. Oregon State 81 5 3 1 0 0

54. Kansas 76 6 3 0 0 0

55. North Carolina State 69 10 0 0 0 0

56. Baylor 68.5 10 1 0 0 0

57. Louisville 68 5 2 0 0 0

58. Rice 66 8 4 1 0 0

59. Texas Tech 65 7 0 0 0 0

60. Oklahoma State 61 6 2 1 0 0

61. Pennsylvania 60 7 3 0 0 0

62. Fordham 58 6 2 1 0 0

63. KENTUCKY 56 8 2 0 0 0

Virginia 56 6 0 0 0 0

Boise State 56 4 1 1 0 0

66. Santa Clara 55 6 2 0 0 0

Air Force 55 5 2 0 0 0

68. MISSISSIPPI STATE 53.5 8 1 0 0 0

69. Utah 53 4 2 1 0 0

70. Arizona 51 6 2 1 0 0

71. Tulane 50.5 7 2 1 0 0

72. Miami (Ohio) 48 5 2 0 0 0

73. Tulsa 47 6 1 1 0 0

74. Cornell 43 5 1 1 0 0

75. SOUTH CAROLINA 42 5 0 0 0 0

76. Indiana 38 5 2 2 0 0

77. Dartmouth 35 5 1 0 0 0

Princeton 35 4 2 0 0 0

79. Iowa Pre-Flight 34 2 2 1 0 1

Yale 34 4 0 0 0 0

81. Wyoming 33 3 1 0 0 0

82. Duquesne 31 3 2 0 0 0

Colorado State 31 3 0 0 0 0

84. Holy Cross 26.5 5 1 0 0 0

85. Villanova 26 3 1 0 0 0

86. Rutgers 25 4 0 0 0 0

87. March Field 22 2 2 0 0 0

88. Bainbridge NTS 20 2 1 1 0 0

Great Lakes 19 2 1 0 0 0

Southern Miss 19 2 0 0 0 0

91. Randolph Field 18 1 1 1 0 0

William & Mary 18 3 0 0 0 0

East Carolina 18 2 1 0 0 0

Toledo 18 2 0 0 0 0

Marshall 18 1 1 0 0 0

96. Carnegie Tech 15 1 1 0 0 0

97. St. Mary's (California) 14 1 1 0 0 0

98. Del Monte P-F 13 1 1 0 0 0

Pacific 13 2 1 0 0 0

Hawaii 13 2 0 0 0 0

101. Wake Forest 12 3 0 0 0 0

102. Utah State 11 1 1 0 0 0

103. VANDERBILT 9 1 0 0 0 0

Cincinnati 9 1 0 0 0 0

105. Georgetown 8 1 0 0 0 0

106. Norman P-F 7.5 1 0 0 0 0

107. San Francisco 7 1 0 0 0 0

108. Fresno State 6 0 0 0 0 0

109. Boston University 5 1 0 0 0 0

El Toro Maines 5 1 0 0 0 0

San Diego State 5 1 0 0 0 0

112. George Washington 4 1 0 0 0 0

Hardin-Simmons 4 1 0 0 0 0

New Mexico State 4 1 0 0 0 0

Temple 4 1 0 0 0 0

116. Colorado College 3 1 0 0 0 0

Fort Pierce 3 1 0 0 0 0

Washington & Lee 3 1 0 0 0 0

Iowa State 3 1 0 0 0 0

Bowling Green 3 0 0 0 0 0

121. Columbia 2 2 0 0 0 0

Delaware 2 1 0 0 0 0

Lafayette 2 1 0 0 0 0

St. Mary's P-F 2 1 0 0 0 0

125. Marquette 1 1 0 0 0 0

Ohio University 1 1 0 0 0 0

Second Air Force 1 1 0 0 0 0

Virginia Military 1 1 0 0 0 0
From your conference's website.UCLA also has 17 Pac-10 Championships, which is 2nd in the conference all-time. I'm not sure how you can make an argument AGAINST their inclusion unless you didn't actually do any research.

If Alabama is rated highly, are you giving credence to NCAA violations and cheating?
A Few Points.....................................Your data above helps and hurts your case. First, the AP shows data only since 1936, and while you have 30 Top 20 and 16 Top 10 finishes, you also have a Big Goose Egg in the "1st" line. But that is only the AP - UCLA went 9-0 under Red Sanders in 1954, winning the UPI and Football Writers National Championship. So you have one to your credit.

Still, since the AP vote started, this has you at 17th in their poll - the problem is all the other factors work against UCLA, so this will be your high water mark.

UCLA is only 34th in winning percentage, but is really hurt by being a mediocre 58th in all time wins, at 531-365-37, for a .588 winning percentage.

Teams like Vanderbilt, Kansas, and La Tech have more wins, and Southern Miss and Arizona State have a better winning percentage. The fact you have only 531 wins hurts as well, as all other selections so far have more than 600 wins to their credit.

Bottom line - UCLA has one National Title, a fairly good average AP, 18 Conference titles of varying sorts, but is lacking in wins and winning percentage. The Bruins have been inconsistent over time as well. I did have them in at #25 a few years ago, but their recent struggles compelled me to drop them.

As noted in the OP, there are probably ten or more Programs who can make a good case for inclusion - UCLA being one, along with Va Tech, West Virginia, Arizona State, Syracuse, Army, and others.

Everyone just cannot make the cut. It is musical chairs, in a sense.

My question to you, Bruin, is who would you Remove in order to add the Bruins??

There's an argument to be made. But it's certainly not an easy one. UCLA is 33rd in winning %, 55th in wins and it has a losing bowl record.

Moving onward and upward.........................

#20 - THE WASHINGTON HUSKIES

Located in Seattle, UDub began playing the game in 1889, and has compiled a 653-398-50 in its history. This .615 winning percentage is #20 all time. Washington also boasts 15 Pacific Coast and Pac 10 Titles, and the 1991 Don James Coached team went 12-0 and was named National Champion by UPI, The football Writers, and The National Football Foundation. ( The 12-0 Miami team was named AP Champ)

The Huskies also were named National Champions by other selectors these years...................

1910 - Record: 6-0

Libby

1960 - Record: 10-1

Helms Athletic Foundation

1984 - Record: 11-1

Berryman

Football News

National Championship Foundation

Washington has partcipated in 14 Rose Bowls, going 7-6-1, and 30 Bowls overall, with a record of 14-14-1.

The Huskies former greats include.............. Steve Emtman, Cody Picket, Ron Holmes, Napolean Kaufmann, Al Worley, Corey Dillon, Olin Kreutz, Lincoln Kennedy, Greg Lewis, and Fletcher Jenkins.

Of partcular note are Guy Flaherty, George Wilson, and the infamous Sonny Sixkiller.

Three former Huskies are enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame - the greats Hugh McElhenney, Warren Moon, and Arnie Weinmeister.

Don James is "The DawgFather" of Husky Coaches, and won the National Title and The Bryant Aaward in 1991. Other Coaching notables include...........................

COACH Years Record Winning %

Gil Dobie 1908 - 1916 58-0-3 .975

Enoch Bagshaw 1921 - 1929 63-22-6 .725

Jimmy Phelan 1930 - 1941 65-37-8 .627

Don James 1975 - 1992 151-59-2 .717

Rick Neuheisel 1999 - 2002

Note that Gloomy Gil Dobie never lost a game, tying three!

Also a Husky Coaching Alum is Darrell Royal, the all time wins leader at Texas - he went 5-5 in 1956 at Washington, before leaving the next year for Austin.

Washington plays in Husky Stadium, located on The Puget Sound. With the Sound and Husky Navy anchored just outside, this may be the most beautiful setting in College football. It is certainly one of the greatest pre-game atmospheres and locales I have ever had the privilege of participating in. Sipping Suds and eating fresh Salmon, King Crab, and other delights while on Board a boat anchored outside Husky Stadium, on a cool autumnal day - it really does not get any better!

Some UW facts, history, and tradition, from Collegefootballhistory.com.......................

Washington Huskies - History

The Husky Mascot Logo

In 1995, Washington’s logo depiction of its Husky mascot was redesigned. The new version of the Husky was drawn by Michael G. Reagan using an Alaskan Malamute named Turbo Carrera as the model for the new image. The new version of the Husky shows a three-quarter profile of the mascot in a pose that is more majestic and regal than the previous version.

Husky Spirit Songs

Washington's fight song 'Bow Down to Washington' was written by Lester Wilson in 1913. Following are the lyrics to the tune, which Husky students and alumni proudly sing at Husky sporting events.

Bow Down to Washington

Bow Down to Washington,

Bow Down to Washington,

Mighty Are The Men

Who Wear the Purple and the Gold,

Joyfully We Welcome Them

Within the Victors Fold.

We Will Carve Their Names

In the Hall of Fame

To Preserve the Memory of Our Devotion.

Heaven Help the Foes of Washington;

They're Trembling at the Feet

Of Mighty Washington,

The Boys Are There With Bells,

Their Fighting Blood Excels,

It's Harder to Push Them Over the Line

Than Pass the Dardanelles.

Victory the Cry of Washington...

Leather Lungs Together

With a Rah! Rah! Rah!

And O'er the Land

Our Loyal Band

Will Sing the Glory

Of Washington Forever.

The Wave

Despite claims by others, the Wave can trace its origin back to Husky Stadium. It was October 31, 1981 when former cheerleader Rob Weller (yes, the same Rob Weller who once co-hosted Entertainment Tonight) was back on the sidelines and instructed the Washington crowd to start in one section and make a human wave that rolled around Husky Stadium. The original Wave saw Husky fans remain standing until a full circle was completed in the stadium. Weller’s original idea - working with former Husky Band Director Bill Bissell - was to have the crowd stand rapidly from the lowest seats to the highest. But they could not effectively coordinate the attempts. The Wave is believed to have started in the third quarter as the Huskies reeled off 28 points in route to a 42-31 win over the John Elway led Stanford team.

School Colors: Purple and Gold

Washington’s school colors, Purple and Gold, were adopted in 1892 by a vote of a student assembly on the original downtown Seattle campus. One patriotic group favored Red, White and Blue as the University’s colors, reasoning that “since the school was named after the father of our country, our national colors should be the school’s colors.” The opposing faction argued that national colors should not be degraded for such everyday use. The debate was ended when a young English instructor, Miss Frazier, stood and read the following excerpt from Lord Byron’s “Destruction of Sennacherib.”

“The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,

And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;

And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea,

And the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee.”
Yes, We can all thank, or blame, the good folks in Seattle for creating that thing known as "The Wave".Some UW photos................................

GORGEOUS Husky Stadium and Husky Navy photo

Husky Stadium and Puget Sound

Husky Stadium again

Old-School Husky Stadium

Sonny Sixkiller on the SI Cover

Sonny Sixkiller in later days

Don James and players Celebrate National Championship

Don James again

"Gloomy" Gil Dobie

Gil Dobie Styling in his day

Steve Emtman

One I Call "Emtman in Winter"

Husky Cheerleader High-Kick

I like this better than Snakes on a Plane :thumbup:

Cheerleaders en Masse

Washington has a proud tradition, and like the programs previously ranked, they are trying to recapture some old magic. There is new hope as Steve Sarkisian, formerly an assistant at USC, begins his first year in Seattle.

GO HUSKIES!!!

The winning % is a negative. I agree. However, I'm not so sure the total number of wins is something that should be held against them without context. What year are you starting with wins? Is it all-time or at a specific period? UCLA didn't begin competing against major schools until 1928, which is later than many of the schools that are ahead of them on the list. The school wasn't even established until 1919. If you start with the 1928 season (the first year UCLA was in a "major" conference), UCLA jumps up to 21st in winning %. They are #22 in winning % in the AP poll era. They are 21st in wins in the AP poll era. They are 19th in wins since the 1928 season.

Clemson, Arkansas, Michigan St., and Colorado are all programs I'd have below UCLA.

While UCLA's been inconsistent, Clemson hasn't won an outright conference title since 1991. They also haven't been to a major bowl since the 1982 Orange Bowl. That's 27 years without a major bowl appearance, let alone win.

Arkansas hasn't won a conference title since 1992. Arkansas went to eight major bowls in the 50s and 60s. In the rest of the AP poll era (1936-2009), Arkansas has a total of seven major bowl appearances.

And, if UCLA's recent struggles compelled you to drop them, then what's the reason for inclusion of Colorado or Michigan St.? Colorado has five losing seasons in this decade, including the last three years. Michigan St. has been to 19 bowls compared to UCLA's 29. Michigan St. hasn't won a Conference Championship since 1990.

UCLA is also only one of five programs to have never played a team outside of Division I-A or the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Moving onward and upward.........................

#20 - THE WASHINGTON HUSKIES

Located in Seattle, UDub began playing the game in 1889, and has compiled a 653-398-50 in its history. This .615 winning percentage is #20 all time. Washington also boasts 15 Pacific Coast and Pac 10 Titles, and the 1991 Don James Coached team went 12-0 and was named National Champion by UPI, The football Writers, and The National Football Foundation. ( The 12-0 Miami team was named AP Champ)

The Huskies also were named National Champions by other selectors these years...................

1910 - Record: 6-0

Libby

1960 - Record: 10-1

Helms Athletic Foundation

1984 - Record: 11-1

Berryman

Football News

National Championship Foundation

Washington has partcipated in 14 Rose Bowls, going 7-6-1, and 30 Bowls overall, with a record of 14-14-1.

The Huskies former greats include.............. Steve Emtman, Cody Picket, Ron Holmes, Napolean Kaufmann, Al Worley, Corey Dillon, Olin Kreutz, Lincoln Kennedy, Greg Lewis, and Fletcher Jenkins.

Of partcular note are Guy Flaherty, George Wilson, and the infamous Sonny Sixkiller.

Three former Huskies are enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame - the greats Hugh McElhenney, Warren Moon, and Arnie Weinmeister.

Don James is "The DawgFather" of Husky Coaches, and won the National Title and The Bryant Aaward in 1991. Other Coaching notables include...........................

COACH Years Record Winning %

Gil Dobie 1908 - 1916 58-0-3 .975

Enoch Bagshaw 1921 - 1929 63-22-6 .725

Jimmy Phelan 1930 - 1941 65-37-8 .627

Don James 1975 - 1992 151-59-2 .717

Rick Neuheisel 1999 - 2002

Note that Gloomy Gil Dobie never lost a game, tying three!

Also a Husky Coaching Alum is Darrell Royal, the all time wins leader at Texas - he went 5-5 in 1956 at Washington, before leaving the next year for Austin.

Washington plays in Husky Stadium, located on The Puget Sound. With the Sound and Husky Navy anchored just outside, this may be the most beautiful setting in College football. It is certainly one of the greatest pre-game atmospheres and locales I have ever had the privilege of participating in. Sipping Suds and eating fresh Salmon, King Crab, and other delights while on Board a boat anchored outside Husky Stadium, on a cool autumnal day - it really does not get any better!

Some UW facts, history, and tradition, from Collegefootballhistory.com.......................

Washington Huskies - History

The Husky Mascot Logo

In 1995, Washington’s logo depiction of its Husky mascot was redesigned. The new version of the Husky was drawn by Michael G. Reagan using an Alaskan Malamute named Turbo Carrera as the model for the new image. The new version of the Husky shows a three-quarter profile of the mascot in a pose that is more majestic and regal than the previous version.

Husky Spirit Songs

Washington's fight song 'Bow Down to Washington' was written by Lester Wilson in 1913. Following are the lyrics to the tune, which Husky students and alumni proudly sing at Husky sporting events.

Bow Down to Washington

Bow Down to Washington,

Bow Down to Washington,

Mighty Are The Men

Who Wear the Purple and the Gold,

Joyfully We Welcome Them

Within the Victors Fold.

We Will Carve Their Names

In the Hall of Fame

To Preserve the Memory of Our Devotion.

Heaven Help the Foes of Washington;

They're Trembling at the Feet

Of Mighty Washington,

The Boys Are There With Bells,

Their Fighting Blood Excels,

It's Harder to Push Them Over the Line

Than Pass the Dardanelles.

Victory the Cry of Washington...

Leather Lungs Together

With a Rah! Rah! Rah!

And O'er the Land

Our Loyal Band

Will Sing the Glory

Of Washington Forever.

The Wave

Despite claims by others, the Wave can trace its origin back to Husky Stadium. It was October 31, 1981 when former cheerleader Rob Weller (yes, the same Rob Weller who once co-hosted Entertainment Tonight) was back on the sidelines and instructed the Washington crowd to start in one section and make a human wave that rolled around Husky Stadium. The original Wave saw Husky fans remain standing until a full circle was completed in the stadium. Weller’s original idea - working with former Husky Band Director Bill Bissell - was to have the crowd stand rapidly from the lowest seats to the highest. But they could not effectively coordinate the attempts. The Wave is believed to have started in the third quarter as the Huskies reeled off 28 points in route to a 42-31 win over the John Elway led Stanford team.

School Colors: Purple and Gold

Washington’s school colors, Purple and Gold, were adopted in 1892 by a vote of a student assembly on the original downtown Seattle campus. One patriotic group favored Red, White and Blue as the University’s colors, reasoning that “since the school was named after the father of our country, our national colors should be the school’s colors.” The opposing faction argued that national colors should not be degraded for such everyday use. The debate was ended when a young English instructor, Miss Frazier, stood and read the following excerpt from Lord Byron’s “Destruction of Sennacherib.”

“The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,

And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;

And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea,

And the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee.”
Yes, We can all thank, or blame, the good folks in Seattle for creating that thing known as "The Wave".Some UW photos................................

GORGEOUS Husky Stadium and Husky Navy photo

Husky Stadium and Puget Sound

Husky Stadium again

Old-School Husky Stadium

Sonny Sixkiller on the SI Cover

Sonny Sixkiller in later days

Don James and players Celebrate National Championship

Don James again

"Gloomy" Gil Dobie

Gil Dobie Styling in his day

Steve Emtman

One I Call "Emtman in Winter"

Husky Cheerleader High-Kick

I like this better than Snakes on a Plane :(

Cheerleaders en Masse

Washington has a proud tradition, and like the programs previously ranked, they are trying to recapture some old magic. There is new hope as Steve Sarkisian, formerly an assistant at USC, begins his first year in Seattle.

GO HUSKIES!!!
the tidesofwar is quickly becoming legend around these parts....he could even disarm " the most interesting man in the world " with just his posts........sipping wine and eating caviar in the chilly rain outside of seattle- sounds like a World Cup fan.... bon appetit..........LOL CLASSIC!! by the way you forget to mention the greatest accomplishment of don james...he was saban's mentor :(

and what about the billly joe hobert- mark brunell clash during the championship season.....hobert was drafted way higher than brunell but brunell was twice the pro qb hobert was :(

The winning % is a negative. I agree. However, I'm not so sure the total number of wins is something that should be held against them without context. What year are you starting with wins? Is it all-time or at a specific period? UCLA didn't begin competing against major schools until 1928, which is later than many of the schools that are ahead of them on the list. The school wasn't even established until 1919.

^^^ This makes the winning percentage MORE important - and I do not believe you can penalize Programs for winning before UCLA joined the party

Clemson, Arkansas, Michigan St., and Colorado are all programs I'd have below UCLA.

While UCLA's been inconsistent, Clemson hasn't won an outright conference title since 1991. They also haven't been to a major bowl since the 1982 Orange Bowl. That's 27 years without a major bowl appearance, let alone win.

I have Clemson rated just ahead of UCLA, and a couple of others

Arkansas hasn't won a conference title since 1992. Arkansas went to eight major bowls in the 50s and 60s. In the rest of the AP poll era (1936-2009), Arkansas has a total of seven major bowl appearances.

So the Hogs have 15 Major Bowls??? UCLA has 12 Rose Bowls, and ouside of that, one Cotton and one Fiesta appearance, for a total of 14.

And, if UCLA's recent struggles compelled you to drop them, then what's the reason for inclusion of Colorado or Michigan St.? Colorado has five losing seasons in this decade, including the last three years. Michigan St. has been to 19 bowls compared to UCLA's 29. Michigan St. hasn't won a Conference Championship since 1990.

To me the over-riding factor was the National Championship issue. As noted, there are only 4 spots IMo that had 9 or 10 teams competing for it. Musical chairs, and all cannot be included.

Plus - there is a lot of inconsistency. UCLA has 28 losing seasons, and two .500 years - so in 80 years, UCLA has not had winning marks in 30 of those 80 years. The only really consistent period for The Bruins was the years of 1972 - 1988.

UCLA Yearly records (Win-Loss-Tie)

2007 6-7-0

2006 7-6-0

2005 10-2-0

2004 6-5-0

2003 6-7-0

2002 7-5-0

2001 7-4-0

2000 6-6-0

1999 4-7-0

1998 10-2-0

1997 10-2-0

1996 5-6-0

1995 7-5-0

1994 5-6-0

1993 8-4-0

1992 6-5-0

1991 9-3-0

1990 5-6-0

1989 3-7-1

1988 10-2-0

1987 10-2-0

1986 8-3-1

1985 9-2-1

1984 9-3-0

1983 7-4-1

1982 10-1-1

1981 7-4-1

1980 9-2-0

1979 5-6-0

1978 8-3-1

1977 7-4-0

1976 9-2-1

1975 9-2-1

1974 6-3-2

1973 9-2-0

1972 8-3-0

1971 2-7-1

1970 6-5-0

1969 8-1-1

1968 3-7-0

1967 7-2-1

1966 9-1-0

1965 8-2-1

1964 4-6-0

1963 2-8-0

1962 4-6-0

1961 7-4-0

1960 7-2-1

1959 5-4-1

1958 3-6-1

1957 8-2-0

1956 7-3-0

1955 9-2-0

1954 9-0-0

1953 8-2-0

1952 8-1-0

1951 5-3-1

1950 6-3-0

1949 6-3-0

1948 3-7-0

1947 5-4-0

1946 10-1-0

1945 5-4-0

1944 4-5-1

1943 1-8-0

1942 7-4-0

1941 5-5-1

1940 1-9-0

1939 6-0-4

1938 7-4-1

1937 2-6-1

1936 6-3-1

1935 8-2-0

1934 7-3-0

1933 6-4-1

1932 6-4-0

1931 3-4-1

1930 3-5-0

1929 4-4-0

1928 4-4-1

1927 6-2-1

1926 5-3-0

1925 5-3-1

1924 0-5-3

1923 2-5-0

1922 2-3-1

1921 0-5-0

1920 0-5-0

1919 2-6-0

UCLA is also only one of five programs to have never played a team outside of Division I-A or the Football Bowl Subdivision.

This is a non-factor, imo.
I like UCLA, and would personally rather have The Bruins in over Clemson and some others - but the numbers just do not make a case for inclusion. But you can succor yourself with The UCLA Basketball Program, and the knowledge UCLA may well be the best overall Athletics Program in the nation

Tides, see my edit above. Since UCLA "joined the party," their winning % is among the top 25.

And, I'm not trying to mislead anyone by excluding the years of 1919 (UCLA's founding) to 1927. In those years, they were more like a club team. These are some of the "teams" they played since they couldn't really field a real FB team in those years: Manual Arts High School (still in existence and pretty good in basketball), Hollywood High School, Bakersfield High School, Occidental College Frosh team, Caltech, Redlands, Whittier, Pomona, Loyola, UC Santa Barbara, and La Verne, among others.

In any case, I appreciate the time you've taken to do this and you've done a great job of putting resumes together. And, you've certainly spurred some debate (at least from me).

ETA: UCLA has 12 Rose Bowl appearances along with 2 Fiesta Bowls (1978 and 1984) and 2 Cotton Bowls (1988 and 1997) for 16 major bowl appearances to Arkansas' 16 (if we are counting the Fiesta).

Since 1928, UCLA is ahead of Arkansas in winning % (#21 to 25), ahead of Michigan St., Colorado, and Texas A&M in wins. Since 1936 (AP Poll era), UCLA is ahead of Texas A&M, Colorado, and Michigan St. in wins, and ahead of Arkansas, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Michigan St. in winning %.

Still just white chicks in the cheerleading pics...just sad
Take your damn liberal political schtick to the political threads. This a thread for real men. Not whimps who whine a cry about every non-PC thing in existence.FYI...LSU Tigers should be top 10 :lmao:

#22 - THE COLORADO BUFFALOES

Colorado is 23rd in the nation in winning percentage, with a record of 664-426-36, for a near .61 winning percentage. The Buffs have a whopping 26 Conference Championships, spanning Three Centuries, or the years 1894 - 2001. These Titles vary between the Colorado Football Association, Rocky Mountain Athletic, Mountain States, Big 8, and Big 12.

Colorado also has four Big 12 North Titles to its credit.

The Buffs won the National Title in 1990, Coached by Bill Mcartney and going 11-1-1, capped by an Orange bowl victory over Notre Dame. Colorado took the AP, Football Writers, and National Football Foundation Titles.

Notable Colorado players include Rasaam Salaam, Cullen Bryant, Joel Klatt, Mason Crosby, Barry Remington, ray Cone, Michael Westbrook, Kordell Stewart, and Koy Detmer.

The Buffs have played in 28 bowl Games, winning 12.

A Little Colorado Tradition......................

School Colors

The official colors of CU are silver and gold. According to the book Glory Colorado, these colors were adopted by the class of 1888, as a symbol of the mineral wealth of this state. But in 1921, as football became more popular, there were complaints from the students that silver and gold did not look good on football jerseys. In fact, silver and gold ended up looking like dirty gray and dark yellow. It wasn't until 1959 that the football team changed its jerseys to black with yellow. And although the football team seems to have set the trend with its color choice, CU still has the official colors of silver and gold.

Buffaloes

The buffalo first appeared in 1934, three weeks after a contest to select an official school nickname by the Silver and Gold newspaper had come to an end and "Buffaloes" was the winning entry. The nickname was officially bestowed upon the school's teams at halftime of the Homecoming game against Utah. For the final game of the '34 season, some students paid $25 to rent a buffalo calf mascot along with a real cowboy as his keeper. It took the cowboy and four students to keep the calf under control on the sidelines, a 7-0 win over the University of Denver on Thanksgiving Day.

Prior to 1934, CU athletic teams usually were referred to as the "Silver and Gold", but other nicknames teams were sometimes called included Silver Helmets, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, Arapahoes, Big Horns, Grizzlies and Frontiersmen. The campus newspaper announced the contest in the fall of 1934, with a $5 prize to go to the author of the winning selection. Claude Bates of New Madrid, Mo., and James Proffitt of Cincinnati, Ohio, were co-winners for the prize as both submitted Buffaloes as their entry. Athletic Director Harry Carlson, graduate manager Walter Franklin and Kenneth Bundy of the Silver and Gold were the judges. Through the years, synonyms which quickly came into use included "Bison", "Buffs", "Thundering Herd", "Stampeding Herd", "Golden Avalanche", and "Golden Buffaloes".

The "Ralphie" tradition began October 1, 1966 when Buddy Hays of Boulder's Hidden Valley Ranch first brought a six-month old buffalo calf to Folsom Field. The parade around the then-existing cinder track was relatively inconspicuous. From that time on, the pre-game and second half charges of Ralphie around the perimeter of the playing field (and often through the ranks of visiting teams) has been one of the great spectacles of college athletics.

CU, not UC

A question often asked of many former Big Eight schools: Why is it the University of Colorado, but the moniker is CU and not UC? (The same applies at Kansas-KU, Missouri-MU, Nebraska-NU and Oklahoma-OU). "Midwestern casualness," says CU historian Fred Casotti. It has always been this way at Colorado, for whatever reason, and at the other four listed above-but seemingly nowhere else in the USA.

In the 1950s, there was a concerted effort to eliminate the use of "CU" on the Boulder campus, both as a symbol and in speech, but Casotti said that no one would buy into it. "Nobody would change," he said. "It's easier to say than U of C, UC sounds like slang or something (as in 'you see'), and it was traditional. By trying to eliminate it, they reinforced it."

Ralphie the Buffalo

The University of Colorado has the most unique mascot in all of intercollegiate atheltics, a real buffalo named Ralphie. The live buffalo mascot, actually "Ralphie IV," will continue the tradition of leading the football team out on the field both at the start of the game and the second half.

It is truly one of the special sights that exists anywhere in college or professional sports, especially for opposing teams, who often stop in their tracks watching the massive buffalo round the end zone and head directly at their sideline.
Colorado plays in a beautiful setting, and watching Ralphie Run is an incredible sight.Ralphie, being run by two Cowboys and two WHAM lovers

Ralphie run by some other dudes

Folsom Field Blues - A Majestic Setting

Colorados First Team

Colorado Blonde and Tense Fan

Buff Cheerleaderf Head Over Heels For Ya

More Buff Lassies

Colorado Football, like the Programs previously ranked, is in a bit of a searching phase. Dan Hawkins of "This is BIG FOOTBALL" fame, and Boise State success, seems to be on the edge of making Colorado notable in the Big 12 once again.

So Go Buffs, and then lets hit the slopes and ski lodges after a victory for Cold Drinks, Warm Drinks, and Hot Snow Bunnies!!!

Snow Bunny
Where would they be on your list if they got 4 downs just like every other team?

What are you talking about? UCLA plays D I-AA caliber teams every year. :excited:
That's just the response I'd expect from a school that schedules I-AA schools. LSU was the only SEC school to not play a non-conference BCS school in 2008. Congrats on that!

Tides, see my edit above. Since UCLA "joined the party," their winning % is among the top 25. And, I'm not trying to mislead anyone by excluding the years of 1919 (UCLA's founding) to 1927. In those years, they were more like a club team. These are some of the "teams" they played since they couldn't really field a real FB team in those years: Manual Arts High School (still in existence and pretty good in basketball), Hollywood High School, Bakersfield High School, Occidental College Frosh team, Caltech, Redlands, Whittier, Pomona, Loyola, UC Santa Barbara, and La Verne, among others.In any case, I appreciate the time you've taken to do this and you've done a great job of putting resumes together. And, you've certainly spurred some debate (at least from me).ETA: UCLA has 12 Rose Bowl appearances along with 2 Fiesta Bowls (1978 and 1984) and 2 Cotton Bowls (1988 and 1997) for 16 major bowl appearances to Arkansas' 16 (if we are counting the Fiesta). Since 1928, UCLA is ahead of Arkansas in winning % (#21 to 25), ahead of Michigan St., Colorado, and Texas A&M in wins. Since 1936 (AP Poll era), UCLA is ahead of Texas A&M, Colorado, and Michigan St. in wins, and ahead of Arkansas, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Michigan St. in winning %.
I enjoy the debate, and you have presented a very compelling case for The Bruins :excited: A few of the reasons I do this each summer - the debates, it gets me ready for some football in the heat of summer and its (for me) blase sports months of June and July, and I learn something new every year.

#19 - THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS PANTHERS

Pitt began playing Football in 1890, and has compiled a 654-476-41 record, a 59% rate of victory. A long-time independent, Pitt has but one Conference Title, as a 2004 Big East Co-Champ. However, the Panthers have two AP Titles, coming in 1937 and 1976.

Pitt has also enjoyed 8 undefeated and 17 one-loss seasons in their history

Pitt also was awarded the National Championship by the following selectors.................

1910 9-0 National Championship Foundation

1916 8-0 Unanimous

1918 4-1 Unanimous (War shortened schedule)

1929 9-1 Parke Davis

1931 8-1 Parke Davis

1934 8-1 Parke Davis

1936 8-1-1 Houlgate, Boand

1937 8-1 AP, Houlgate, Boand, Football Thesauras, Dunkel, Litkenhous

1976 12-0 Unanimous

Pitt has produced an incredible amount of great talent - players such as Jim Covert, Craig Heyward, Larry Fitzgerald, Russ Grimm, Curtis Martin, Mark May, Rickey Jackson, Chris Doleman, and the greta Hugh Green, who probably should have won the Heisman in 1980.

Former greats in the NFL Hall of Fame now are Tony Dorsett, Mike Ditka, Alex Van Pely, Mike Jury, Joe Schmidt, and the Isotoner and Slimfast guy........... oh yeah, Dan Marino.

The Panthers have also seen their share of outstanding Coaches, including the legend "Pop" Warner....................

Glenn Scobey "Pop Warner 1915-1923 60-12-4 .816

Jock Sutherland 1924-1938 111-20-12 .818

Johnny Majors 8 total seasons 45-45-1 .500

Jackie Sherrill 1977-1981 50-9-1 .842

Serafino "Foge" Fazio 1982-1985 25-18-3 .576

Mike Gottfried 1986-1989 26-17-2 .600

The 1976 Pitt National Champs are, in my opinion, the first of the real "Super Teams" we have seen.

Some Pitt History..............................

The Panther Tooth

When Peter Moore, one of the world's foremost talents in sports image, designed the current Panthers logo in the spring of 1997, he said "the new image has been inspired by the people of Pittsburgh and the heritage of the city. A city that is the home of championship teams. Teams that were forged from great talent but more importantly from great efforts. This is Pittsburgh. The home of the University of Pittsburgh Panthers." Today, the Panther emerges in another form of strength, courage, and determination. As we focus on the Panther, the ferocious eyetooth has become the greatest symbol of this competitive spirit. Traced back to ancient societies, great and successful defenders of those societies were rewarded for their heroics with a meaningful token -- an icon that symbolized their efforts and importance within the society. Added prominently to the Panthers uniform this season will be a symbol to note advanced achievement -- the gleaming tooth of the Panther. Awarded for great deeds, it will also serve to display the strength of this mascot. This emblem will bring honor and glory to those who wear it proudly.

The Panther

The Panther (Felis concolor) was adopted as the University of Pittsburgh's mascot at a meeting of students and alumni in the autumn of 1909. According to George M. P. Baird, '09, who made the suggestion, it was chosen for the following reasons:

1) The Panther was the most formidable creature once indigenous to the Pittsburgh region.

2) It had ancient, heraldic standing as a noble animal.

3) The happy accident of alliteration.

4) The close approximation of its hue to the old gold of the University's colors (old gold and blue), hence its easy adaptability in decoration.

5) The fact that no other college or university then employed it as a symbol.

Pop Warner Years (1915–1923)

Hall of fame head football coach "Pop" Warner with three-time All-American and team captain Bob Peck during the 1916 national championship seasonIn 1914, Pitt athletic booster Joseph Trees and athletic director A. R. Hamilton hired Genn Scobey "Pop" Warner, who had previously led Carlisle, Cornell, and Georgia, as Pitt's head coach. Warner had been successful at his previous stops, mentoring the likes of Jim Thorpe, and was known as a innovator of the game who originated the screen pass, single- and double-wing formations, and use of shoulder and thigh pads. His arrival at Pitt gave the program instant national credibility, lifting the perception of the program from more of a regional power to that of a national one.

Traditions

Among the oldest traditions is the Official University Yell, dating to 1890, that has survived as lyrics within the fight song "Hail to Pitt". This song, along with the Pitt Victory Song, and The Panther Song, are the the most common of Pitt fight songs performed on game days by the Pitt Band. The Pitt Band also participates in the "Panthers Prowl" which begins two hours before kickoff and allows fans to meet the team as they make their way into Heinz Field outside Gate A. Originally, this tradition began as players made their way into Pitt Stadium. One hour prior to kick off, the Pitt Band also engages in the "March to Victory" from Tony Dorsett Drive down General Robinson Street and ending at the stage on Art Rooney Avenue. This tradition dates back to before the move to Heinz Field when the Pitt Band would march throughout the streets of Oakland campus before arriving at Pitt Stadium. In addition, at halftime, the band typically will play in at least one formation spelling out "PITT". Other football traditions include:

The Pitt Band plays the "Victory Song" at the end of a 26-13 win over Notre Dame at Pitt Stadium during the 1956 Pitt football seasonStudent organizations, carrying standards, form a tunnel for the football players to run through as the enter the football field from the locker room. Originally, this long standing tradition involved only Pitt fraternities and sororities. The tradition was briefly lost following the 1999 season when Pitt's football program transitioned from playing in Pitt Stadium to Three Rivers Stadium in 2000 followed by Heinz Field in 2001. The tradition was resurrected beginning with the 2008 football season.

Following touchdowns, the horns of the Gateway Clipper riverboat fleet, which cruises just outside Heinz Field, sound.

When the Pitt offense moves into the 20 yard line, two large, motorized Heinz ketchup bottles flanking either side of the scoreboard tilt over and beginning to pour out their electronic contents onto the JumboTron's screen signifying the team's move into the "red zone"

The upper section of the Cathedral of Learning is illuminated "gold" after a football team victory, as opposed to the everyday white spotlights.

The jumbotron has lead the crowd in a "Let's Go Pitt!" version of Sweet Caroline between the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Student section

During the late 1990s, athletic director Steve Pederson instituted a rebranding of the Pitt Stadium student section in an attempt to bolster enthusiasm and unity by emphasizing the 12th man concept. The stadium was repainted with the student section changed to section "12" and a large inflatable jersey bearing number 12 was placed near the section. Upon the move the Heinz Field, the athletic department, in collaboration with their sideline apparel outfitter at the time Aéropostale, created the Aero-Zone. The Aero-Zone served as an exclusive on-field seating section for Pitt students where the first 200 students who lined up for the section before the game with student were admitted if they possessed tickets and proper identification. The Aero-Zone failed to catch sustained interest and was eventually disappeared.

The current official Pitt football student fan club and cheering section, the Panther Pitt, was founded in 2003 by Pitt students Robin Frank and Julie Brennan to attempt to organize an Oakland Zoo-like atmosphere at Heinz Field for football games. The Panther Pitt helped in coordinating student ticking policies with the athletic department and the Oakland Zoo. In 2006, the Panther Pitt and the Pitt Student Government Board originated the concept of "Code Blue" in which students wear blue t-shirts to the game to match the home blue uniforms of the Pitt football team. Commonly worn by students attending football games, the back of "Code-Blue" t-shirts typically include the line "Alle-genee-genac-genac" from the Official University Yell. Other groups are also attempting to create a more unified student section for football.

Rivalries

Pitt beat West Virginia 11–0 in this November 11, 1908 game at Exposition ParkThe University of Pittsburgh has long-standing rivalries with several teams. Currently, Pitt's fiercest and primary rivalry is the Backyard Brawl which is played annually against fellow Big East Conference member the West Virginia. The Brawl, played 101 times, is one of the oldest and most played rivalries in college football. Prior to the 2001 football season, Pitt's most heated and longest standing rival had been intrastate foe Penn State. Sometimes referred to as the Pennsylvania Classic, this game has been on hiatus since 2000 following a rash of disputes between the two schools. Other long-standing rivals include the Notre Dame and Syracuse. More recently, the River City Rivalry was established when the Cincinnati Bearcats entered the Big East.

Some Pitt photos.................................

Hugh Green Looking Mean on SI Cover

Victory Fireworks Illuminate the Cathedral of Learning

Old Pitt Stadium

Heinz Field - New Home To The Panthers

Pop Waner - Pitt Head Coach

Young Panther Mike Ditka

Tony Dorsett on SI Cover

Dorsett and 1976 Pitt Champions SI Cover

Dan Marino

Dan Marino signs to play at Pitt

Pitt Cheerleaders

More Pitt Cheerleaders

Dave Wannestedt getting pumped

The Panthers are another Program trying to get into high gear again, and hope NFL veteran and 4th year Head Coach are going to begin turning the corner this season. Coming off a Bowl appearance last year, and with Wannastedt's recruiting being praised by many "experts", The Panthers may be on the brink of a return to the National spotlight.

GO PITT!!!!!

Hugh Green was one of the best college football players i ever saw. like a guided missile on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread