What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Timmy Lincecum Era is About to Begin (1 Viewer)

JMJ

Footballguy
Pick this kid up and thank me later. Remember the impact that Mark Prior had as a rookie in '03? Lincecum's impact will be the same:

Giants set to promote pitching phenom Lincecum

It's Timmy time.

Right-hander Tim Lincecum is expected to make his much-anticipated major league debut Sunday for the Giants against the Philadelphia Phillies, replacing ailing right-hander Russ Ortiz.

The Giants placed Ortiz on the disabled list Thursday with an irritated nerve in his right elbow and recalled infielder Kevin Frandsen from Triple-A Fresno.

But the club plans to make another roster move to bring up Lincecum, 22, their first-round pick in last June's draft who is tearing up the Pacific Coast League.

"We're expecting him to make that start (Sunday)," Giants Manager Bruce Bochy said.

Sunday's game will be televised nationally by ESPN. It's a perfect showcase for Lincecum, who is 4-0 with an 0.29 ERA and has allowed just 12 hits in 31 innings. In his last start Sunday against Colorado Springs, he struck out 14 in six shutout innings.

Lincecum was the Golden Spikes winner last year at the University of Washington. The award honors the country's top collegiate player.

Ortiz's injury is considered minor and he expected to be ready soon after he is eligible to return May17.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were in a legit league, Lincecum would already be long gone...
He's been on my roster for over a month wise*ss. But, Yahoo says he is available in 93% of their leagues so I guess you and I are just SOOOOOO much cooler then everyone else. :yawn:

Ian Stewart on Tim Lincecum

Posted May. 3, 2007

Triple-A Fresno righthander Tim Lincecum whiffed 14 in his last start against Colorado Springs, getting Sky Sox third baseman Ian Stewart twice.

And it’s not like Stewart is struggling this season. A 2003 first-round pick of the Rockies, Stewart is hitting .318/.375/.409 with a pair of home runs in 88 at-bats.

The 22-year-old third baseman calls Lincecum ‘the toughest pitcher I ever faced,’ and goes further in this breakdown of what it’s like to face him:

“Oh, man that was hard,” Stewart said. “He’s just a max-effort guy with a really different windup and you can’t see the ball at all until it’s right on top of you. It gets on you real quick.

“He kind of leans back over second base and then comes right over the top. Guys on our club who have been in the big leagues said he’s the toughest guy they ever faced too, so that should tell you something.

“And though you only get a very short glance of the ball before it’s on you, the stuff is just nasty on top of that. He was throwing everything for strikes. I mean he located everything and painted the corners with his fastball, worked on the inner half when he felt like it.

“His curveball was really good, a good hard-breaking spike curveball. He threw it for a first-pitch strike, a second-pitch strike, a third-pitch strike. You get the idea–he pretty much threw it whenever he wanted to and located it wherever he wanted to.

“I’m not really sure why he’s down here, but for a guy who was drafted last year . . . that guy is filthy.”

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=237

This just in.....if Albert Pujols is available in your league......PICK HIM UP NOW!!!!!!! Word is that this kid is gonna be good.

:goodposting: :shrug: :banned:

Just picked him up. We start all pitchers so nobody wants a non-producer until they are certain he'll play. I got to the line first.

:bowtie:

Tim Lincecum uses ribbed condoms inside out, so he gets the pleasure.

Tim Lincecum' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Tim Lincecum once threw a fastball so hard that his foot broke the speed of light, went back in time, and killed Amelia Earhart while she was flying over the Pacific Ocean.

Tim Lincecum doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

If you ask Tim Lincecum what time it is, he always says, "Two seconds till." After you ask, "Two seconds to what?" he strikes you out.

Tim Lincecum appeared in the "MLB 2K7" video game, but was removed by Beta Testers because every button caused him to strike someone out. When asked bout this "glitch," Lincecum replied, "That's no glitch."

Tim Lincecum sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled pitching ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Tim struck out the devil and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

Tim Lincecum does not sleep. He waits.

Tim Lincecum is not hung like a horse... horses are hung like Tim Lincecum

The original theme song to the Transformers was actually "Tim Lincecum--more than meets the eye, Tim Lincecum--robot in disguise.

The chief export of Tim Lincecum is domination.

Tim Lincecum is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his fastball and curveball.

Tim Lincecum recently had the idea to sell his urine as a canned beverage. We know this beverage as Red Bull.

If paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, and scissors beats paper, what beats all 3 at the same time? Answer: Tim Lincecum.

On the 7th day, God rested.... Tim Lincecum took over.

Although it is not common knowledge, there are actually three sides to the Force: the light side, the dark side, and Tim Lincecum.

Tim Lincecum drinks napalm to quell his heartburn.

Tim Lincecum' fastball is so powerful, it can be seen from outer space by the naked eye.

If Superman and The Flash were to race to the edge of space you know who would win? Tim Lincecum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim Lincecum uses ribbed condoms inside out, so he gets the pleasure.Tim Lincecum' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.Tim Lincecum once threw a fastball so hard that his foot broke the speed of light, went back in time, and killed Amelia Earhart while she was flying over the Pacific Ocean.Tim Lincecum doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.If you ask Tim Lincecum what time it is, he always says, "Two seconds till." After you ask, "Two seconds to what?" he strikes you out.Tim Lincecum appeared in the "MLB 2K7" video game, but was removed by Beta Testers because every button caused him to strike someone out. When asked bout this "glitch," Lincecum replied, "That's no glitch."Tim Lincecum sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled pitching ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Tim struck out the devil and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.Tim Lincecum does not sleep. He waits.Tim Lincecum is not hung like a horse... horses are hung like Tim LincecumThe original theme song to the Transformers was actually "Tim Lincecum--more than meets the eye, Tim Lincecum--robot in disguise.The chief export of Tim Lincecum is domination.Tim Lincecum is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his fastball and curveball.Tim Lincecum recently had the idea to sell his urine as a canned beverage. We know this beverage as Red Bull.If paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, and scissors beats paper, what beats all 3 at the same time? Answer: Tim Lincecum.On the 7th day, God rested.... Tim Lincecum took over.Although it is not common knowledge, there are actually three sides to the Force: the light side, the dark side, and Tim Lincecum.Tim Lincecum drinks napalm to quell his heartburn.Tim Lincecum' fastball is so powerful, it can be seen from outer space by the naked eye.If Superman and The Flash were to race to the edge of space you know who would win? Tim Lincecum.
You don't want to tug on Chuck's boot.......you will get round housed

Good info here, not all of us are nerdy enough to know about prospects.

So on behalf of all the casual players, I thank ICW

dparker713 said:
If you were in a legit league, Lincecum would already be long gone...
:yes:
Please, any league that allows you to have enough roster space to hold onto a minor leaguer is hardly legit.
Please, any league that you are in is hardly legit based on your comment above. :lmao:
10 team NL only league, we start 14 offensive and 9 pitchers. We have 2 bench spots and pick ups are done on a weekly blind bidding. You arent allowed to pick up a player until they've logged an official MLB apperance. Good luck finding anything of value on the waiver wire. But if there is someone on your waiver wire that doesn't hold more value than someone that may or may not play in the bigs this year, you've got a weak league.

`Twas the night before Lincecum, and all through Mays Field

Not a creature was stirring, not even Lou Seal

The pitcher's mound dirt was packed down with care

In preparation for our hero, who would soon be there

The fans were at home, all snug in their beds,

While visions of perfect games danced in their heads

And Lefty with his wit, and Steve S. with his stats

Had just settled down for a nervous spring nap

Then the next night, arose such a clatter

ESPN angled their cameras to see what was the matter

The crowd was gathering down at Third and King

Anticipating the heat our savior would bring

The sun kept fog away for the Sunday night show

And gave the luster of early evening for the field below

When what to our wondering eyes should appear?

But one miniature pitcher, and eight of his peers

With an overpowering fastball, so lively and quick

He then flashed a curveball that would make Phillies sick.

Like a wee Nolan Ryan, his pitches they came

And as he warmed up, he called them by name;

"Now four-seamer, now two-seamer, now changeup, now curve!

On slider, on palmball, on split-finger and slurve!

To the catcher's mitt; to sixty feet, six inches away!

You'll miss those bats, and in the rotation I'll stay!"

As he got loose before a national crowd

The pops from the catcher's mitt grew ever more loud

So to the corners of the strike zone, his pitches they flew

With an arsenal of pitches, St. Timothy threw.

And then, with an announcement, Rollins came up to bat

Adjusting his wristbands, he gave his cleats a pat.

As I grabbed my remote and adjusted my sound,

Lincecum's first-ever pitch was now plateward bound

He was dressed in French vanilla, and his shoes colored black

And he had a huge number "14" right on his back

An entire franchise perched on his right shoulder

As the once warm night grew ever colder

His eyes - how they focused! His hat bill, so bent!

His delivery was perfect; Bad hitters repent!

His right arm went back and stretched like a bow

And his beard would have been badass, if a beard he could grow

He pumped two fastballs by Rollins, and then dropped the hammer

Rollins was caught looking, and left with a stammer

Chase Utley ended the inning, waving at a fastball superb

You deserve to be struck out, when your first name's a verb

Tim looked out of place; he looked like he was twelve

And the Phillies laughed when they saw him, in spite of themselves

But Tim spoke not a word, and went straight to his work

And mixed curves up with heaters, whiffing all with a smirk

And after the 27th strikeout, he lifted his cap,

Gave a wink and a nod, acknowledged the cheers and the claps

And I heard him exclaim, as he jogged out of sight

"I won this series right now, but I'll win a World Series some night!"

:thumbup: :thumbup: :hot: I got this off another site. The hype is out of control.

"Tim Lincecum appeared in the "MLB 2K7" video game, but was removed by Beta Testers because every button caused him to strike someone out. When asked about this glitch, Lincecum replied, "That's no glitch."
:lmao:

Finless said:
8 innings, 112 pitches, 84 strikes, 28 balls, 17 K's, 1 hit, 5 pickoffs, 1 home run, 1 double, 4 RBI's
and the grand slam to boot? why no CG SO?Seriously though - absolutely GREAT matchup tonight - Hamels vs. Lincecum. Can't wait.

Finless said:
Finless said:
8 innings, 112 pitches, 84 strikes, 28 balls, 17 K's, 1 hit, 5 pickoffs, 1 home run, 1 double, 4 RBI's
and the grand slam to boot? why no CG SO?Seriously though - absolutely GREAT matchup tonight - Hamels vs. Lincecum. Can't wait.
These numbers should be very close. Maybe one more pickoff and possibly a stolen base.
Good thing he'll provide offense tonight too, with Bonds sitting the Gigantes are going to need some help tonight against Hamel

serious gas. that first pitch to Utley he swung as the catcher was getting it out of his glove.

He really does deliver to the plate like Oswalt.

Despite the early 2 hits and BB, the kid obviously has a cannon for an arm.

He really does deliver to the plate like Oswalt. Despite the early 2 hits and BB, the kid obviously has a cannon for an arm.
Yes, he does. But he looks like he's really overthrowing when he amps up his fastball in the 96-98 range. He's a pretty wirey guy, and you'd hate to see another injury like we've seen to some of the other uber-prospects.

He really does deliver to the plate like Oswalt. Despite the early 2 hits and BB, the kid obviously has a cannon for an arm.
Yes, he does. But he looks like he's really overthrowing when he amps up his fastball in the 96-98 range. He's a pretty wirey guy, and you'd hate to see another injury like we've seen to some of the other uber-prospects.
I'm really hoping that the overthrowing stems from nerves, and that's not normal. Looks pretty tense.

Finless said:
I'm really hoping that the overthrowing stems from nerves, and that's not normal. Looks pretty tense.
It's his debut...first inning. I'd imagine he's not exactly loose yet. He looked good enough to get all 3 outs on K's.
Yeah, I can imagine that it being televised nationally doesn't help.

OK start. he settled down but his mistakes were definitely capitalized on. gets the rockies next i think, i would expect better #s next time out.

hughes looked better to me though.

That kid can pitch. He looked about, oh, 15 but his motion is very economical. His delivery looks a lot like Orel Hershiser.

That kid can pitch. He looked about, oh, 15 but his motion is very economical. His delivery looks a lot like Orel Hershiser.
I thought his delivery looked all herky-jerky, like he's going to need TJ surgery in a year or two.

His delivery looks a lot like Orel Hershiser.
Bingo. :yes: That was the first name I thought of. Same number IIRC when Hershiser was with the Dodgers too. I didn't see any resemblance to Oswalt, who looks like Kevin Appier to me.

I thought his delivery looked all herky-jerky, like he's going to need TJ surgery in a year or two.
Far from the truth....a few of the biometric experts out there are very complimentary of his delivery. There is little to no wasted movement and all of his momentum is in a straight line toward homeplate.

Users who are viewing this thread