What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Top 155 Songs by American Artists According to 5 Middle-Aged Idiots (1 Viewer)

Alice in Chains
The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson
Beck
Chuck Berry
The Flaming Lips
Husker Du/Sugar/Bob Mould
Nirvana
Parliament/Funkadelic/George Clinton
Ween (not that I expect to see them, they're an acquired taste)
Wilco/Uncle Tupelo
I think we’ll see a few. I know 2 at least.

I didn’t select a Wilco song because Doug and Scooter always bring up my love for a “mediocre” band so I vowed not to list one.

Jeb is the only other person who could - but not sure now that we’re in the Top 10. Jeb did have 2 Beck albums in his 31 so I wouldn’t be surprised by a song.

I’ve seen Wilco with Chap and he’s a fan but even without his Schtick at play I don’t think he’d pick one.

When Wilco’s Sky Blue Sky came out, some people called it “dad rock.”

“Dad rock” has similar connotations to “yacht rock.”

Therefore I’m not ruling out Chap picking something from Sky Blue Sky. :laugh:

I decided to put together my own top 31, all American artists favorite songs list. I decided to limit it to one song per artist, even though I don't think that was part of the @Dr. Octopus methodology.

I will withhold until the end and post it. I think it would be great if others did the same.

So far, only 4 of my 31 have been named. But I'm also not sure my initial draft will be my final, we'll have to see about that... As I expected, I could probably choose any of 100 songs to put into this list, and I could radically change the ordering and it would be fine. Cool exercise, as these tend to be.

I actually have a top 62 list right now. I have been working and reworking it all week. That is the fun of threads like this for me, it led me to spend a lot of time in my music collection this week and listen to a lot of music I hadn't listened to in a while. I now have a new playlist. :thumbup:

I toyed with going for top 100 but decided that was too much work... for now. Of my top 62 songs, only 5 have been named in any of the 5 official lists to this point, and 40 of the artists in my list have not had any song named yet. But I'm sure I'll be changing my list more before I post.

Anyone else interested in posting top 31 lists once @Dr. Octopus has posted all of his group's lists?

You're No Good vs. The Boxer is too tough to call
Top tracks by legends.
But I have to give my gold star to BARRACUDA
There was not a ton of chick rocking happening in the public sphere, at that time. They really laid out some jams for a while.

1. Barracuda - who saw that coming
2. You're No Good (ladies first)
3. The Boxer 🥉
4 - 5 Bob and Frank, give me that Duet

Dr. Octopus:

Hurricane – Bob Dylan

"Hurricane" is a protest song by Bob Dylan co-written with Jacques Levy and released on the 1976 album Desire. It was also released as a single in November 1975. The song is about the imprisonment of boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter. It compiles acts of racism and profiling against Carter, which Dylan describes as leading to a false trial and conviction.

Jeb:

Barracuda - Heart

Ann Wilson revealed in interviews that the song was about Heart's anger towards Mushroom Records, who as a publicity stunt released a made-up story of an incestuous affair involving Ann and her sister Nancy Wilson. The song particularly focuses on Ann's rage towards a male radio promoter who came up to her after a concert asking how her "lover" was. She initially thought he was talking about her boyfriend, band manager Michael Fisher. After he revealed he was talking about her sister Nancy, Ann became outraged, went back to her hotel room, and wrote the original lyrics of the song.

Scooter:

Theme From New York, New York – Frank Sinatra

The song has been embraced as a celebration of New York City, and is often heard at New York City social events, such as weddings and bar mitzvahs. Many sports teams in New York City have played this song in their arenas/stadiums, but the New York Yankees are the most prominent example. It has been played over the loudspeakers at both the original and current Yankee Stadiums at the end of every Yankee home game since July 1980. Originally, Sinatra's version was played after a Yankees win, and the Minnelli version after a loss. However, due to a complaint from Minnelli, the Sinatra version is now heard regardless of the game's outcome.

Doug:

The Boxer – Simon & Garfunkel

The song has only one drumbeat, and played during the 'lie-la-lie' refrain. The session drummer Hal Blaine created the heavily reverberated drum sound with the help of producer Roy Halee, who found a spot for the drums in front of an elevator in the Columbia offices. The recording of the drum was recorded as the song was being played live by the musicians. Blaine would pound the drums at the end of the "Lie la lie" vocals that were playing in his headphones, and at one point, an elderly security guard got a big surprise when he came out of the elevator and was startled by Blaine's thunderous drums.

Chap:

You’re No Good – Linda Ronstadt

Linda Ronstadt began performing "You're No Good" to close her live shows in early 1973, after her band member Kenny Edwards suggested it to her. She first included it in her setlist while opening for Neil Young. Ronstadt gave an early televised performance of "You're No Good" on an episode of The Midnight Special, broadcast December 21, 1973.
Ladies on top here.......

1. "You're No Good". I reckon most people didn't know this was a cover when it came out (I sure didn't). The original version is weird-for-its-time, but pedestrian. Linda's version ain't. She freaking annihilates this. The production is great. I still get chills when she gets to belting on this one. She's singing like a......

2. "Barracuda". I dated an opera singer for a minute or two several years ago and asked her who her favorite popular singer was. She said it was Aretha Franklin. I nodded my head like a wise idiot and asked her who else. She chose Annie Wilson, saying that the human voice shouldn't be able to do the things she can do. This isn't my favorite Heart record, but it's my favorite Wilson vocal.

3. "The Boxer". Probably the only S&G record where the production is better than the singing. Which, given my antipathy to Simon's pretentions (see what I did there?), is a plus. Those booming drums make the record.

4. "Hurricane". The closest Dylan ever came to a dance record.

5. "New York". No. Just, no.

Anyone else interested in posting top 31 lists once @Dr. Octopus has posted all of his group's lists?

What I think would be fun would be if a whole bunch of people did their lists and submitted them to someone*, who then does a big reveal just like Dr. O is doing with his. I think that would lead to a better discussion as we could kind of rate the rounds as many people are doing here. More fun to me than just lists being posted by each of us willy-nilly. What do you guys think?

*Yes, I'll volunteer since I brought this up.

What I think would be fun would be if a whole bunch of people did their lists and submitted them to someone*, who then does a big reveal just like Dr. O is doing with his. I think that would lead to a better discussion as we could kind of rate the rounds as many people are doing here. More fun to me than just lists being posted by each of us willy-nilly. What do you guys think?

IN!!!!!

(are there rules? do I have to follow them?)

IN!!!!!

No. Yes.

:lol:

Just the same rules as in Dr. O's group? US artists only. Were there any other rules?

Figure we could give people a couple of weeks after this one ends, maybe Nov. 15 as deadline to submit lists? Or whatever you guys think.
Ok, thanks. I'll need something to do during jury duty (just kidding, Woz - I'm taking it seriously).

IN!!!!!

No. Yes.

Just the same rules as in Dr. O's group? US artists only. Were there any other rules?

Figure we could give people a couple of weeks after this one ends, maybe Nov. 15 as deadline to submit lists? Or whatever you guys think.

I'm in. Great idea.

Assume we will go with top 31, like the current countdown, even though that number was tied to the number of days in October, so it would not be required to choose that number. Whatever others want works for me.

Last edited:
IN!!!!!

No. Yes.

I'm in. Great idea.

Assume we will go with top 31, like the current countdown, even though that number was tied to the number of days in October, so it would be required to choose that number. Whatever others want works for me.

Yeah, let's stick with 31.

I'm keeping a list now of participants, so I can check in with anyone who says they'll submit. Maybe I should start a new thread to get more people who might miss it buried on page 10 here? I don't want to take attention away from this thread, though, so maybe will wait.

Maybe I should start a new thread to get more people who might miss it buried on page 10 here? I don't want to take attention away from this thread, though, so maybe will wait.

I think you're going to have a monster on your hands, regardless of whether it's a new thread or this one. If you start a new thread and solicit lists, I'd bet the majority of the board does it. I could be wrong, but it's an interesting as heck subject and only requires a list. Maybe there's a barrier to entry or a way to conceive of it that makes it more involved and a little more intricate? I have no ideas, so I'm sorry in advance.

But I'm a yes.

To the countdown:

I think, out of all these, boxing wins the day. "You're No Good" is A-plus and so is "Barracuda," but "The Boxer" and "Hurricane" take it for me.

Lai la lai

in a prison cell of one
They said he's gonna be
The champion of the world

Last edited:

Definitely in!

I'm keeping a list now of participants, so I can check in with anyone who says they'll submit. Maybe I should start a new thread to get more people who might miss it buried on page 10 here? I don't want to take attention away from this thread, though, so maybe will wait.

This is basically a music draft in reverse

Dr. Octopus:

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a song by the American rock band Nirvana. It is the opening track and lead single from the band's second album, Nevermind (1991), released on DGC Records. The unexpected success of the song propelled Nevermind to the top of several albums charts at the start of 1992, an event often marked as the point when grunge entered the mainstream

Jeb:

Truckin’ – Grateful Dead

Written by band members Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, and lyricist Robert Hunter, "Truckin'" molds classic Grateful Dead rhythms and instrumentation. The lyrics refer to a drug raid of the band's hotel lodgings in New Orleans during a concert tour earlier in 1970:

Busted, down on Bourbon Street
Set up, like a bowling pin
Knocked down, it gets to wearing thin
They just won't let you be

The song's climactic refrain, "What a long, strange trip it's been", has achieved widespread cultural use in the years since the song's release.

Scooter:

Can’t You See – The Marshall Tucker Band

Can't You See" is a song written by Toy Caldwell of The Marshall Tucker Band. The song was originally recorded by the band on their 1973 debut album, The Marshall Tucker Band, and released as the album's first single. It was re-released in 1977 and peaked at number 75 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Doug:

Take It Easy - Eagles

"Take It Easy" is a song by the American rock band Eagles, written by Jackson Browne and Eagles band member Glenn Frey, who also provides lead vocals. It was the band's first single, released on May 1, 1972. It peaked at No. 12 on the July 22, 1972, Billboard Hot 100 chart

Chap:

Ride Captain Ride – Blues Image

"Ride Captain Ride" is a song recorded by the American rock band Blues Image. It was co-written by the band's singer-guitarist Mike Pinera and keyboardist Frank "Skip" Konte, and was included on the group's 1970 album, Open. Released as a slightly shortened single in the spring of 1970, it shot up the charts, eventually reaching No. 4 in the US and Canadian charts, making it Blues Image's only Top 40 chart hit. It reached No. 23 in Australia.

Truckin' then Smells Like Teen Spirit, one and two, respectively.

Truckin' is such a cool jam. An effortless, breezily done outlaw song.

Truckin', like the do-dah man
Once told me, "You've got to play your hand"
Sometimes the cards ain't worth a dime
If you don't lay 'em down
Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me
Other times, I can barely see
Lately, it occurs to me
What a long, strange trip it's been

Sittin' and starin' out of the hotel window
Got a tip they're gonna kick the door in again
I'd like to get some sleep before I travel
But if you got a warrant, I guess you're gonna come in
Set up, like a bowlin' pin
Knocked down, it gets to wearin' thin

Dr. Octopus:

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a song by the American rock band Nirvana. It is the opening track and lead single from the band's second album, Nevermind (1991), released on DGC Records. The unexpected success of the song propelled Nevermind to the top of several albums charts at the start of 1992, an event often marked as the point when grunge entered the mainstream

Jeb:

Truckin’ – Grateful Dead

Written by band members Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, and lyricist Robert Hunter, "Truckin'" molds classic Grateful Dead rhythms and instrumentation. The lyrics refer to a drug raid of the band's hotel lodgings in New Orleans during a concert tour earlier in 1970:

Set up, like a bowling pin
Knocked down, it gets to wearing thin

The song's climactic refrain, "What a long, strange trip it's been", has achieved widespread cultural use in the years since the song's release.

Scooter:

Can’t You See – The Marshall Tucker Band

Can't You See" is a song written by Toy Caldwell of The Marshall Tucker Band. The song was originally recorded by the band on their 1973 debut album, The Marshall Tucker Band, and released as the album's first single. It was re-released in 1977 and peaked at number 75 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Doug:

Take It Easy - Eagles

"Take It Easy" is a song by the American rock band Eagles, written by Jackson Browne and Eagles band member Glenn Frey, who also provides lead vocals. It was the band's first single, released on May 1, 1972. It peaked at No. 12 on the July 22, 1972, Billboard Hot 100 chart

Chap:

Ride Captain Ride – Blues Image

"Ride Captain Ride" is a song recorded by the American rock band Blues Image. It was co-written by the band's singer-guitarist Mike Pinera and keyboardist Frank "Skip" Konte, and was included on the group's 1970 album, Open. Released as a slightly shortened single in the spring of 1970, it shot up the charts, eventually reaching No. 4 in the US and Canadian charts, making it Blues Image's only Top 40 chart hit. It reached No. 23 in Australia.
A Hippie's wet dream, plus Nirvana.

1. "Can't You See". I was at a music festival in southern Maryland back in the 80s or 90s. It was a two-day thing and was mostly country acts. Marshall Tucker closed Saturday evening (I think - things are a little fuzzy on what day was what). They were playing this song when a thunderstorm rolled up behind the stage and I remember the singer pointing at the lightning during the chorus. We were out in the middle of a field and there was no protection from the storm. MTB finished the song, though. We got soaked heading back to our camp site. Anyway, I'd loved this record long before that episode. Awesome slow-build intro (with a flute, no less!) and it just gets better. Just a fine, fine recording.

2. "Ride Captain Ride". This always seemed like a Dead knockoff, but - you know - good. It's got a great groove and everything works. A perfect example of an artist having one fantastic song in them and nothing else.

3. "Take It Easy". This really shouldn't work for me. Eagles are the biggest sourpusses in rock history and I believe my feelings about Browne are well-documented here. I am also an idiot. This is a great pop record. However, I will say that I have blocked more than one friend on Facebook who has taken pictures of themselves standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ. Some things are beyond even my ability to forgive.

4. "Teen Spirit". There are some nice dynamics going on here, but I just can't get into this kind of mopery. Weird Al's parody with marbles in his mouth pretty much sums it up for me.

5. "Truckin'". Sorry, fell asleep trying to think of something to say about this one.

Smells Like Teen Spirit came out my senior year of HS - time and place thing, as I recognize it’s not a great song but will always transport me back to that time.
I actually think it's a pretty great record. And it was certainly important. But, and this is what matters most to me, the song resonates with people. That's what music does. Just because it's not my thing doesn't mean I don't appreciate that "...Spirit" nails it for others. "Time and place" mean more to me than any "artistic merit" (except for Billy Joel, who is horrible on every level).

I kind of like a few Billy Joel and Jackson Browne songs :shrug:

ETA - I’d gladly give up ever listening to them both if required.
Billy would be in my favorite 31 American Artists if that’s what this list was.

I honestly don’t get the “hate”, although I can certainly see not enjoying his music. He’s a great vocalist, has a good band supporting him and think he’s an underrated song writer. He also quit while he was ahead unlike some contemporaries that continue put out crap music that’s ruined their legacies a bit. Billy realized River of Deams was awful and hung up his sneakers.

Well, I think it’s great so I guess I’m projecting a music snob’s take. No offense intended to anybody who dislikes the song.

Seriously doubt anybody is taking offense because low-key snobbery is what we do here, AAA. You shouldn't feel out of sorts at all.

I think what’s great about music is people do get attached to it - like UH said, it resonates with people. And that can mean people get a little defensive but these threads are so much fun that I want others to have that much fun too. I’ll still say Captain and Tennille is utter garbage though.

I kind of like a few Billy Joel and Jackson Browne songs :shrug:

ETA - I’d gladly give up ever listening to them both if required.
Billy would be in my favorite 31 American Artists if that’s what this list was.

I honestly don’t get the “hate”, although I can certainly see not enjoying his music. He’s a great vocalist, has a good band supporting him and think he’s an underrated song writer. He also quit while he was ahead unlike some contemporaries that continue put out crap music that’s ruined their legacies a bit. Billy realized River of Deams was awful and hung up his sneakers.

He has some songs that can be like nails on a chalkboard for me so I get it. And I think even his biggest fans would say Piano Man is ridiculously overplayed but I dig songs like Pressure and You May Be Right.

Jackson Browne

Ever since I was kid, I dug Jackson Browne's songs. Now, he might be an insufferable windbag for all I know (and I've heard some stories where he appears to be) but I dig "For A Rocker," "Lawyers In Love," "Doctor My Eyes," and others. He's one guy I've never delved deeply into but enjoyed his output when I've heard him.

Piano Man is ridiculously overplayed
Well yes, but that’s what happens to classic songs. This also has the “disadvantage” of being a great drunken sing along song so that adds to the overplayed-ness.

If you heard it for the first time, I think most would think it at least borders on greatness except for Uruk. Maybe it’s another “Billy” thing for him 😀.

Piano Man is ridiculously overplayed
Well yes, but that’s what happens to classic songs. This also has the “disadvantage” of being a great drunken sing along song so that adds to the overplayed-ness.

If you heard it for the first time, I think most would think it at least borders on greatness except for Uruk. Maybe it’s another “Billy” thing for him 😀.
Touche, mon ami :lol:

Ever since I was kid, I dug Jackson Browne's songs. Now, he might be an insufferable windbag for all I know (and I've heard some stories where he appears to be) but I dig "For A Rocker," "Lawyers In Love," "Doctor My Eyes," and others. He's one guy I've never delved deeply into but enjoyed his output when I've heard him.
Browne's ok. He's recorded some songs I enjoy. He's also a self-important blowhard (kinda like me) and I know too many people who think everything he writes is The Truth - so I take it out on y'all. Besides those records you mentioned, "Somebody's Baby" is another that's a really good song.

You're way ahead of my ex-wives, among (many, many, many) others

Heh. Naw man, you've got my ear. I don't think I would have picked up some records and really listened to them if not for your passion. I think my What's Going On love can be attributed to you -- not that you necessarily spoke of the album, but of records and race and the industry in general. Got me thinking, anyway. You were certainly there to ask me about it in the Dylan thread, once I'd sobered up in life and had a chance to reassess a lot of what I listened to. I still don't get seventies funk, though. For the most part.

It just occurred to me that no Prince has been taken.
Scooter just mentioned that in our text chain yesterday- I’m a bit surprised as well. Personally “Purple Rain” was on my list at some point and got bumped.

I figured it was because most lists probably do not have more than one song by the same artist, so Prince would show up near the top of one or more lists. I have my favorite Prince song at #4 on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread