What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Top 155 Songs by American Artists According to 5 Middle-Aged Idiots (1 Viewer)

Agree with Doc's post on the KISS solo albums. I was never the biggest KISS fan, but my younger-by-two-years brother was. He bought all of them, but Ace's is the only only I can remember that he played a lot.

There's one song I really like on the Peter Criss album, but his and Paul and Gene's albums are pure garbage.

Ace's is better than 90% of Kiss' catalogue.

New York Groove". Agree with Doc's post on the KISS solo albums. I was never the biggest KISS fan, but my younger-by-two-years brother was. He bought all of them, but Ace's is the only only I can remember that he played a lot. I don't know that there's ever been a more aptly-titled song.
Good point. I think one of the reasons why it resonates so much with me, is I was born in NYC (Queens), worked there for many years and have never really lived more than 33 miles away and spent many years right across the Hudson River.
I've never been to NYC, much less spent any amount of time there. But this just feels like what I imagine a good part of New York sounded like in 1978 (& I don't just mean musically). It's all "rock" instruments and playing and dynamics, but it's kind of disco/dance-y too. Which reinforces my belief that genre labels suck, because there are more exceptions than there are rules. I think this record is one of the great out-of-nowhere one-shots in pop history. That Ace couldn't do it again doesn't lessen that effect to me.

and literally have never heard of Steve Forbert or Bo Donaldson. Will have to check out the links when I get home.
Depending on how old you are I’d guess you’ve heard both and just aren’t familiar with the artists - but it wouldn’t be shocking at all if you haven’t.
Reporting back - I'm a couple days away from 50 but have never heard either. I found the Steve Forbert song to be pretty catchy. Bo Donaldson was of its time, I guess.

1. What's Going On - how can this not finish atop the group.

2. One - I forgot exactly where I had it in my '88 countdown, but definitely top 5. The song that signaled Metallica was about to blow up.

3. La Freak

4. New York Groove - Another one I had never heard before. Surprisingly good.

5. You'r Mama Don't Dance - A distant 5th. Hate the Poison version too, which I didn't realize was a cover for probably 10 years.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that, other than the shtick guy, What's Going On will be on every person's list, and that Doug is just the loser who put it this low. ;)
Remember these are people’s “favorite” songs not an objective ranking like Tim does (although he doesn’t really make his criteria very clear, but it seems like he attempts to be objective). I love the entire WGO album tremendously but I didn’t use the song on my list, despite being a great song.

I'm assuming that, other than the shtick guy, What's Going On will be on every person's list, and that Doug is just the loser who put it this low. ;)
Remember these are people’s “favorite” songs not an objective ranking like Tim does (although he doesn’t really make his criteria very clear, but it seems like he attempts to be objective). I love the entire WGO album tremendously but I didn’t use the song on my list, despite being a great song.

Oh believe me, I respect the difference between favorite and best - see, e.g., Beatles threads #1-3. I mostly just wanted to call someone I don't know a loser.

I just listened to the Steve Forbert song and don't know how I missed this. I don't remember it at all, but it's an excellent tune. I'll check out more from him. Guess I was listening to too much Styx in 1979.

Forbert's debut album Alive on Arrival is really solid. He got a lot of "new Dylan" hype at the time which probably caused as much harm as good to his early career.

Today is another strong group, but I have to give it to What’s Going On, which is one of the most important and best songs of the last 100 years.

One is in my top 2 of Metallica along with Master of Puppets.

Your Mama Don’t Dance is fun in small doses but it’s at best the third-best song on the album it comes from. Angry Eyes and Golden Ribbons are masterpieces.

I never get tired of New York Groove and Le Freak.

I'm starting to feel like Jeb & I aren't quite on the same wavelength :lol:

He kind of prides himself on being a bit different.

When we went to see Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Soundgarden and Blind Melon (how crazy is it that Neil is the only lead singer still alive from that group) together for whatever reason he wore a full length skirt to the show and just ran around dancing and twirling all over the Garden State Arts Center lawn - he was a big hit.
I like the cut of Jeb's jib!

Must have been a shorter skirt than the doctor is letting on.

It is a good group of songs this round. I knew What’s Going On would be the crowd favorite here. It is a great song but I am going with One. Metallica is just more my style. I have never ranked my favorite Metallica songs but I doubt One is top 10. Songs from Master and Ride would dominate.

Dr. Octopus:

New York Groove – Ace Frehley

Ace Frehley, best known as the lead guitarist of Kiss, recorded "New York Groove" for his first solo album, Ace Frehley, released in 1978; the album was released concurrently with solo albums from the other three Kiss members: Peter Criss, Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley. Frehley originally "scoffed" at the idea of the remake, but co-producer Eddie Kramer persisted. It was released as a single and the song made it to No. 13 on the Billboard Hot 100, by far the highest-charting single from any of the four solo albums. Frehley once told Rolling Stone magazine that his unique take on the song was inspired by his experience with hookers in New York City's Times Square in the 1970s.

Jeb:

One – Metallica

"One" is a song by American heavy metal band Metallica,] released as the third and final single from the band's fourth studio album, ...And Justice for All (1988). Written by band members Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield, the song portrays a World War I soldier who is severely wounded—arms, legs and jaw blown off by a landmine, blind and unable to speak or move—begging God to take his life.

Scooter:

Your Mamma Don’t Dance – Loggins & Messina

This song, whose refrain and first verse is done in a blues format, deals with the 1950s and 1960s lifestyle concerning the generation gap, where the parents oppose the Rock and Roll Revolution of the younger generation, which includes the rebelliousness against the old society that monitors curfews on dating; as well as being arrested for making love with a girl in the back seat of a car during a drive-in movie, which happens during the bridge section of the song.

Doug:

What’s Going OnMarvin Gaye

"What's Going On" is a song by American singer-songwriter Marvin Gaye, released in 1971 on the Motown subsidiary Tamla. Originally inspired by a police brutality incident witnessed by Renaldo "Obie" Benson, the song was composed by Benson, Al Cleveland, and Gaye and produced by Gaye himself. The song marked Gaye's departure from the Motown Sound towards more personal material.

Chap:

La Freak - Chic

This song commemorates Studio 54 in New York City for its notoriously long customer waiting lines, exclusive clientele, and discourteous doormen. According to guitarist Nile Rodgers, the song was devised during New Year's Eve 1977, as a result of his and bassist Bernard Edwards' being refused entrance to Studio 54, where they had been invited by Grace Jones, due to her failure to notify the nightclub's staff. He said the lyrics of the refrain were originally "**** off!" rather than "Freak out!"
Some heavy hitters here - What’s Going On definitely the cream of the crop here and always have loved One.

Not a huge fan of Groove - it’s been adopted by the NY Mets as their post-game theme after wins.

Not a huge fan of Groove - it’s been adopted by the NY Mets as their post-game theme after wins.
I think you're the first New Yorker I've known who's ambivalent about this song. Most - and it's not like I know all that many, so anecdotal and all that - either love it or hate it.

I think you're the first New Yorker I've known who's ambivalent about this song. Most - and it's not like I know all that many, so anecdotal and all that - either love it or hate it.
I actually don’t like it but give it a pass for nostalgia’s sake - being a card carrying member of the Kiss Army as a kid and Ace being my favorite band member.

Ok this thread is a slow cooker (nothing wrong with that) and I didn't miss as much as I thought. Some interesting surprises so far. My SUBJECTIVE top of the head 5 that would surely change if I did this any other hour of any other day:

Visions Of Johana by Bob Dylan
Don't Worry Baby by The Beach Boys
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Judy Garland
I Wanna Dance with Somebody by Whitney Houston
Dancing in the Streets by Martha and the Vandellas

Jack Kimble
@RepJackKimble
·
20h

What Joe Biden did today with marijuana possession is going to lead to a massive expansion in the number of jam bands. It sounds harmless now until you've been subjected to a 23-minute bass solo
My favorite Biden EO tweet was the one showing Joe signing a document in the oval office with line "President Biden signs an executive order banning the Broncos from ever appearing on national TV again."

Dr. Octopus:

I Hope That I Don’t Fall In Love With You – Tom Waits

Tom Waits began his musical career in 1970, performing every Monday night at The Troubadour, a venue in West Hollywood, California. Waits' setlist at these series of shows, described as "hootenanny nights", consisted primarily of Bob Dylan covers, although it included songs which would later appear on Closing Time and its successor, The Heart of Saturday Night (1974). Among the songs performed were "Ice Cream Man", "Virginia Avenue", "Ol' '55", "I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love with You", "Shiver Me Timbers" and "Diamonds on my Windshield."

Jeb:

Deuce - KISS

"Deuce" is a song by the American hard rock band Kiss, written by bassist and vocalist Gene Simmons. The song appeared on Kiss' eponymous 1974 debut album. In addition to being one of the band's most popular and most-covered songs, "Deuce" is a traditional concert opener. The song has appeared on many Kiss live and compilation albums.

Scooter:

The Load Out – Jackson Browne

"The Load-Out" is a song co-written and performed live by Jackson Browne from his 1977 album Running on Empty. It is a tribute to his roadies and fans. The song was recorded live at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland, on August 27, 1977, as part of the tour in support of the album The Pretender.

Doug:

America The Beautiful – Ray Charles

America the Beautiful" is a patriotic American song. Its lyrics were written by Katharine Lee Bates and its music was composed by church organist and choirmaster Samuel A. Ward at Grace Episcopal Church in Newark, New Jersey. The two never met.

Chap:

(They Long to Be) Close To You - Carpenters

"(They Long to Be) Close to You" is a song written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. The best-known version is that recorded by American duo the Carpenters for their second studio album Close to You (1970) and produced by Jack Daugherty. Released on May 14, 1970, the single topped both the US Billboard Hot 100 and Adult Contemporary charts.

Last edited:

Dr. Octopus:

I Hope That I Don’t Fall In Love With You – Tom Waits

Tom Waits began his musical career in 1970, performing every Monday night at The Troubadour, a venue in West Hollywood, California. Waits' setlist at these series of shows, described as "hootenanny nights", consisted primarily of Bob Dylan covers, although it included songs which would later appear on Closing Time and its successor, The Heart of Saturday Night (1974). Among the songs performed were "Ice Cream Man", "Virginia Avenue", "Ol' '55", "I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love with You", "Shiver Me Timbers" and "Diamonds on my Windshield."

Jeb:

Deuce - KISS

"Deuce" is a song by the American hard rock band Kiss, written by bassist and vocalist Gene Simmons. The song appeared on Kiss' eponymous 1974 debut album. In addition to being one of the band's most popular and most-covered songs, "Deuce" is a traditional concert opener. The song has appeared on many Kiss live and compilation albums.

Scooter:

The Load Out – Jackson Browne

"The Load-Out" is a song co-written and performed live by Jackson Browne from his 1977 album Running on Empty. It is a tribute to his roadies and fans. The song was recorded live at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland, on August 27, 1977, as part of the tour in support of the album The Pretender.

Doug:

America The Beautiful – Ray Charles

America the Beautiful" is a patriotic American song. Its lyrics were written by Katharine Lee Bates and its music was composed by church organist and choirmaster Samuel A. Ward at Grace Episcopal Church in Newark, New Jersey. The two never met.

Chap:

(They Long to Be) Close To You - Carpenters

"(They Long to Be) Close to You" is a song written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. The best-known version is that recorded by American duo the Carpenters for their second studio album Close to You (1970) and produced by Jack Daugherty. Released on May 14, 1970, the single topped both the US Billboard Hot 100 and Adult Contemporary charts.

1. "America The Beautiful". It's Ray Charles slaying it. To quote wikkid: nufced.

2. "I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You". You picked one of the few Waits recordings I can abide. This one's really good.

3. "Close To You". This is a perfect record. They nailed everything they were trying to do. I don't think I need to say anything about Karen's voice.

4. "Deuce". This would be #5 for me in most any other rack. It's pretty generic and dumb. The only reason it's #4 is because.........

5. "The Load-Out". One of the first record review sites on the (then new) internet was warr.org. Tongue firmly in cheek, here is their overview of Jackson Browne: Link to the entire page reviewing Browne's albums.

Easily the most important musician to come out of the West Coast scene, Jackson Browne is more than that. A cultural icon, a political visionary, a seer. His greatest strengths are his focused and accessible melodies; his unique, varied, and exciting vocal delivery; his startling instrumental virtuosity on his chosen instruments, guitar and keyboard; and his relentless avant-garde attitude. The star ratings on this page are only a relative guide: really, you can't go wrong with any record he's ever been involved with. If you're ready for a brush with greatness, check out the very thorough Jackson Browne FAQ. (DBW)
Wilson has once again proven his critical brilliance with an awesomely insightful analysis... Incidentally, if you find this page outrageous and insulting you'd better read our flame writer's FAQ before you waste any time writing to us. And remember that it's our official web site policy not to respond to flames. (JA)

I couldn't have said it better myself, guys

Not really feeling this round either.

I prefer salacious Ray to sanitized Ray, but it’s still Ray so that gets the nod.

Can’t stand Waits. The Browne and Kiss songs are fine but they have better. Close to You is the best Carpenters song but that doesn’t mean a whole lot in my book.

Not really feeling this round either.

I prefer salacious Ray to sanitized Ray, but it’s still Ray so that gets the nod.

Can’t stand Waits. The Browne and Kiss songs are fine but they have better. Close to You is the best Carpenters song but that doesn’t mean a whole lot in my book.

Pretty much my thoughts, except that the Waits song is a clear winner for me. Then Ray, then Karen, then who cares.

Dr. Octopus:

Deacon Blues – Steely Dan

The song was largely written at Fagen's house in Malibu and was prompted by his observation that "if a college football team like the University of Alabama could have a grandiose name like the 'Crimson Tide' the nerds and losers should be entitled to a grandiose name as well."[2] The song's protagonist, muses Fagen, is somewhat "autobiographical in that it reflected the dreams [Fagen and Becker had] about becoming jazz musicians while . . . living in the suburbs.

Jeb:

Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers – ZZ Top

The album was released in July 1973 to a lukewarm reception. Steve Apple in a September 1973 review for Rolling Stone felt that while the "Southern rock & roll sound" was becoming popular, ZZ Top themselves were "only one of several competent Southern rocking bands", though they had "an advantage over most white rockers" because they "sound black".

Scooter:

Life’s Been Good – Joe Walsh

In the song, Walsh satirically reflects on the antics and excesses of the era's rock stars, with nods to Keith Moon and others: "I live in hotels, tear out the walls/I have accountants pay for it all", and "My Maserati does one-eighty-five/I lost my license, now I don't drive".

The 1979 Rolling Stone Record Guide called it "riotous", and "(maybe) the most important statement on rock stardom anyone has made in the late Seventies". His later Ordinary Average Guy is written as a late-life followup.

Doug:

(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay – Otis Redding

"(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" is a song co-written by soul singer Otis Redding and guitarist Steve Cropper. It was recorded by Redding twice in 1967, including once just three days before his death in a plane crash on December 10, 1967. The song was released on Stax Records' Volt label in 1968, becoming the first ever posthumous single to top the charts in the US. It reached number 3 on the UK Singles Chart.

Chap:

Baby I’m-a Want You - Bread

"Baby I'm-a Want You" is a song by American soft rock band Bread. The single was released in October 1971 and became the title track for the album of the same name, released in January 1972.

It was one of Bread's highest-charting singles in both the U.S. and UK. In the U.S., it reached No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in November 1971, the third of Bread's four top-five hits ("Make It with You", No. 1 in 1970; "If", No. 4 earlier in 1971; and "Everything I Own", from the same album, No. 5 in 1972). "Baby I'm-a Want You" reached the top of the Easy Listening chart and rose to No. 14 on the UK Singles Chart in February 1972.

It was certified as a gold record by the RIAA. As with virtually all of the band's well-known recordings, the song was both written and produced by the band's lead vocalist, David Gates.

Last edited:
You guys really are helping an old man feel young here. Yesterday I was 1 for 5, having only heard the Carpenters' song (though I didn't know it was the Carpenters). Tom Waits song was really good. Meh on the others for me.

Today's group:

1. Otis
2. ZZ Top - Love the recent documentary. My wife had never given a second thought to ZZ Top thanks to Legs and maybe Velcro Fly, but the doc convinced her to give Tres Hombres a spin.
3. Joe Walsh

Big Drop

4. Bread - never heard it and definitely not my thing
5. Steely Dan - I think the only band that makes me change the station faster than The Doors is Steely Dan. I feel completely in the right about my hate for the former, but can admit to possibly being wrong about Steely Dan.

Fun songs this round with the nod going to Jeb and ZZ Top. The Joe Walsh tune is still good after all these years too and is my second choice.

Dr. Octopus:

Deacon Blues – Steely Dan

The song was largely written at Fagen's house in Malibu and was prompted by his observation that "if a college football team like the University of Alabama could have a grandiose name like the 'Crimson Tide' the nerds and losers should be entitled to a grandiose name as well."[2] The song's protagonist, muses Fagen, is somewhat "autobiographical in that it reflected the dreams [Fagen and Becker had] about becoming jazz musicians while . . . living in the suburbs.

Jeb:

Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers – ZZ Top

The album was released in July 1973 to a lukewarm reception. Steve Apple in a September 1973 review for Rolling Stone felt that while the "Southern rock & roll sound" was becoming popular, ZZ Top themselves were "only one of several competent Southern rocking bands", though they had "an advantage over most white rockers" because they "sound black".

Scooter:

Life’s Been Good – Joe Walsh

In the song, Walsh satirically reflects on the antics and excesses of the era's rock stars, with nods to Keith Moon and others: "I live in hotels, tear out the walls/I have accountants pay for it all", and "My Maserati does one-eighty-five/I lost my license, now I don't drive".

The 1979 Rolling Stone Record Guide called it "riotous", and "(maybe) the most important statement on rock stardom anyone has made in the late Seventies". His later Ordinary Average Guy is written as a late-life followup.

Doug:

(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay – Otis Redding

"(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" is a song co-written by soul singer Otis Redding and guitarist Steve Cropper. It was recorded by Redding twice in 1967, including once just three days before his death in a plane crash on December 10, 1967. The song was released on Stax Records' Volt label in 1968, becoming the first ever posthumous single to top the charts in the US. It reached number 3 on the UK Singles Chart.

Chap:

Baby I’m-a Want You - Bread

"Baby I'm-a Want You" is a song by American soft rock band Bread. The single was released in October 1971 and became the title track for the album of the same name, released in January 1972.

It was one of Bread's highest-charting singles in both the U.S. and UK. In the U.S., it reached No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in November 1971, the third of Bread's four top-five hits ("Make It with You", No. 1 in 1970; "If", No. 4 earlier in 1971; and "Everything I Own", from the same album, No. 5 in 1972). "Baby I'm-a Want You" reached the top of the Easy Listening chart and rose to No. 14 on the UK Singles Chart in February 1972.

It was certified as a gold record by the RIAA. As with virtually all of the band's well-known recordings, the song was both written and produced by the band's lead vocalist, David Gates.
#1 is clear to me, #s 2-4 are close and interchangeable and enjoyable, #5 needs to visit the glue factory

1. "Dock Of The Bay". I grew up on a Bay about 3,000 miles from where Redding wrote this. I can't tell you how many sunrises I've seen sitting on a pier listening to this one. It gets played about a million times a day in dozens of radio formats and will never get overplayed to me. My motto: "I can't do what ten people tell me to do. So I guess I'll remain the same,". Bruce Springsteen has spent his entire career trying to rewrite this song.

2. "Life's Been Good". The other Eagles hadn't yet sucked all of the fun out of Walsh. God knows, they tried.

3. "Beer Drinkers". Rock critics hated ZZ Top. Screw the rock critics.

4. "Deacon Blues". I was really slow to warm up to Steely Dan. I still don't love them (a little too cold-blooded for my taste), but I appreciate them more than I did back in the '70s.

5. "Baby I'm-a Want You". There are 3 or 4 Bread songs I like. There are many more I don't. This is second only to the godawful "If" on my personal Bread hate list.

My favorites of round 25 and 26:

25. America the Beautiful

26. Deacon Blues and Dock of the Bay - tie

This brother is free
I'll be what I want to be

I will say (with no judgment) that I don’t get people that “hate” Steely Dan. They created a sound that no other band had or has, and their studio work is absurdly good without being “over-bearing”. They’re so clean and crisp without being sterile. There’s still soul there.
A lot of people hold grudges that Chevy Chase never stayed with Becker/Fagen when the latter two formed SD.

I was pretty middling
I will say (with no judgment) that I don’t get people that “hate” Steely Dan. They created a sound that no other band had or has, and their studio work is absurdly good without being “over-bearing”. They’re so clean and crisp without being sterile. There’s still soul there.
I could take or leave Steely Dan until maybe 15 years ago. Around that time, whichever company was running our conference line system started using Rikki Don't Lose That Number as their hold music. So for at least a decade, I had to listen to it on repeat at least 2-3 times a week. So yeah, #### Steely Dan. :-)

I was pretty middling
I could take or leave Steely Dan until maybe 15 years ago. Around that time, whichever company was running our conference line system started using Rikki Don't Lose That Number as their hold music. So for at least a decade, I had to listen to it on repeat at least 2-3 times a week. So yeah, #### Steely Dan. :-)
If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything 😉

I was pretty middling
If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything 😉
I've been Fagen-rolled. 😡

You know, you might be onto something here, my spirit animal. When I was a junior(?) in college, I took a job at a local clothing store for extra money. I hated that job so much. The manager acted like she thought I was there for a career instead of just being a dumb college student, so she'd suddenly say things like, "Take this shirt and make me three creative outfits for displays," like it was a test. Lady, I just liked ringing people up since it was easy, or unpacking the new inventory on Wednesdays. I wasn't looking to change anyone's life through New England puffy-sweater fashion.

Anyway, the store had the usual continuous loop of "not gonna offend anyone" music where I grew to hate most of the songs. I don't even remember what any of them were anymore, except this one. I could not hate a song more.

This is my favorite thread in a long time. Thank you for it!

Could you give us some more info on the people involved, such as how you guys know each other, a little more about each person, etc.? Would make it even more fun for me, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread