What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Top 155 Songs by American Artists According to 5 Middle-Aged Idiots (1 Viewer)

Dr. Octopus:

Saturday in the Park - Chicago

"Saturday in the Park" was very successful upon release, reaching No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the band's highest-charting single at the time, helping lift the album to No. 1. Billboard ranked it as the No. 76 song for 1972. The single was certified Gold by the RIAA, selling over 1,000,000 units in the U.S. alone.

According to fellow Chicago member Walter Parazaider, Lamm was inspired to write the song during the recording of Chicago III in New York City on Saturday, July 4, 1970:

Robert came back to the hotel from Central Park very excited after seeing the steel drum players, singers, dancers, and jugglers. I said, 'Man, it's time to put music to this!”

Jeb:

Peace Frog – The Doors

"Peace Frog" is a song by the Doors, which was released on their fifth studio album Morrison Hotel in 1970. Guitarist Robby Krieger explained that the music was written and recorded first, with the lyrics later coming from poems by singer Jim Morrison. Although the song was never released as a single in the US, it was issued as the B-side of "You Make Me Real" in France.

Scooter:

Friends in Low Places – Garth Brooks

"Friends in Low Places" is a song performed by American country music artist Garth Brooks. It was released on August 6, 1990 as the lead single from his album No Fences. The song spent four weeks at number one on the Hot Country Songs, and won both the Academy of Country Music and Country Music Association awards for 1990 Single of the Year.

Doug:

Purple Haze – Jimi Hendrix

"Purple Haze" is one of Hendrix's best-known songs and appears on many Hendrix compilation albums. The song featured regularly in concerts and each of Hendrix's group configurations issued live recordings. It was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame and is included on lists of the greatest guitar songs, including at number two by Rolling Stone and number one by Q magazine.

Chap:

The Rubberband Man – The Spinners

The last major hit by the Spinners to feature Philippé Wynne on lead vocals, "The Rubberband Man" spent three weeks at number two on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 (blocked from the top spot by Rod Stewart's massive hit single "Tonight's the Night") and topped the U.S. R&B chart at the end of 1976. It was also a top-20 hit in the UK Singles Chart, reaching number 16 in October 1976.

This is my favorite thread in a long time. Thank you for it!

Could you give us some more info on the people involved, such as how you guys know each other, a little more about each person, etc.? Would make it even more fun for me, at least.
We all were in the same fraternity at Seton Hall University in the late 80s/early 90s. Since then we have stayed close. When we were younger we all saw eachother far more often. I have been to all of their weddings (Scooter x2). We have a long running fantasy football league that's been going on for about 25 years now with an in-person draft that's always been a ton of fun.

Jeb: was just laid off recently but was upper management in a commodities exchange company. He is 56 and has 2 daughters in college (UPenn and Georgetown). We were all very into the Seattle Grunge bands when that was a thing. Jeb is the one that went to high school with a few members of God Street Wine a band I've drafted in many of the 'palooza drafts and that we first started seeing in 1988 in Harlem.

Scooter: one of the wealthier people I know. He owned his own company on the commodities exchange. At one point he sold the company but continued to work there in a high level position. He is now retired for about 3 years (he's currently 55). He's a recovering alcoholic. He was basically told by doctors to quit drinking or he'll die. His liver was shot. He just recently got married for a second time about a year ago and has one son (8th grader) from his prior marriage.

Doug: the youngest one in the group at 52. He works for a pharmaceuticals company. He travels a lot and trains pharms reps. He's married with 4 kids and lives in Pennsylvania now.

Chap: 54, middle school special education teacher. He's also taught math and history. I was the best man at his wedding and he has two young teenage children.

Last edited:
Hendrix wins today but the Spinners made it close.

I like Saturday in the Park and Peace Frog but I wouldn’t put them on a list of best American songs.

I admire Garth as a showman and businessman, but I don’t think much of most of his songs.

Dr. Octopus:

"Saturday in the Park" was very successful upon release, reaching No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the band's highest-charting single at the time, helping lift the album to No. 1. Billboard ranked it as the No. 76 song for 1972. The single was certified Gold by the RIAA, selling over 1,000,000 units in the U.S. alone.

According to fellow Chicago member Walter Parazaider, Lamm was inspired to write the song during the recording of Chicago III in New York City on Saturday, July 4, 1970:

Robert came back to the hotel from Central Park very excited after seeing the steel drum players, singers, dancers, and jugglers. I said, 'Man, it's time to put music to this!”

Jeb:

Peace Frog – The Doors

"Peace Frog" is a song by the Doors, which was released on their fifth studio album Morrison Hotel in 1970. Guitarist Robby Krieger explained that the music was written and recorded first, with the lyrics later coming from poems by singer Jim Morrison. Although the song was never released as a single in the US, it was issued as the B-side of "You Make Me Real" in France.

Scooter:

"Friends in Low Places" is a song performed by American country music artist Garth Brooks. It was released on August 6, 1990 as the lead single from his album No Fences. The song spent four weeks at number one on the Hot Country Songs, and won both the Academy of Country Music and Country Music Association awards for 1990 Single of the Year.

Doug:

"Purple Haze" is one of Hendrix's best-known songs and appears on many Hendrix compilation albums. The song featured regularly in concerts and each of Hendrix's group configurations issued live recordings. It was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame and is included on lists of the greatest guitar songs, including at number two by Rolling Stone and number one by Q magazine.

Chap:

The last major hit by the Spinners to feature Philippé Wynne on lead vocals, "The Rubberband Man" spent three weeks at number two on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 (blocked from the top spot by Rod Stewart's massive hit single "Tonight's the Night") and topped the U.S. R&B chart at the end of 1976. It was also a top-20 hit in the UK Singles Chart, reaching number 16 in October 1976.
1. "Saturday In The Park". Time & place thing for me.

2. "Rubberband Man". I liked this the least of the Spinners' hits back in the day. It's still not my favorite, but it's grown on me and is a good song.

3. "Purple Haze". See #2 and change "Spinners" to "Hendrix".

4. "Friends In Low Places". Same with this one for Brooks. It's fine and shot him into the stratosphere.

5. "Peace Frog". There are a few Doors' records I really dislike. This ain't one of them, but it's waaaaaaay down on my list of those I like. Don't know why - it just never really grabbed me.

Yes. And he also called them “top” in the subject line.
Right, but he explained the "top" part in his first paragraph.
The most important caveat here though is although it says “top” these lists will be our personal favorites and completely subjective. I expect comments like “How was this song left off?” or “no way, that’s one of the best 31 songs of all time”. Those comments may be accurate from an objective perspective, but do not really make sense from the standpoint of what these lists are, our favorite songs. It’s like, our opinions man.

The most important caveat here though is although it says “top” these lists will be our personal favorites and completely subjective. I expect comments like “How was this song left off?” or “no way, that’s one of the best 31 songs of all time”. Those comments may be accurate from an objective perspective, but do not really make sense from the standpoint of what these lists are, our favorite songs. It’s like, our opinions man.
And “I wouldn’t put them on a list of top American songs” is my way of saying I have a different opinion, man.

We're also not middle-aged unless we live well past 100. I'm not counting on that.

Dr. Octopus:

Deacon Blues – Steely Dan

The song was largely written at Fagen's house in Malibu and was prompted by his observation that "if a college football team like the University of Alabama could have a grandiose name like the 'Crimson Tide' the nerds and losers should be entitled to a grandiose name as well."[2] The song's protagonist, muses Fagen, is somewhat "autobiographical in that it reflected the dreams [Fagen and Becker had] about becoming jazz musicians while . . . living in the suburbs.

Jeb:

Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers – ZZ Top

The album was released in July 1973 to a lukewarm reception. Steve Apple in a September 1973 review for Rolling Stone felt that while the "Southern rock & roll sound" was becoming popular, ZZ Top themselves were "only one of several competent Southern rocking bands", though they had "an advantage over most white rockers" because they "sound black".

Scooter:

Life’s Been Good – Joe Walsh

In the song, Walsh satirically reflects on the antics and excesses of the era's rock stars, with nods to Keith Moon and others: "I live in hotels, tear out the walls/I have accountants pay for it all", and "My Maserati does one-eighty-five/I lost my license, now I don't drive".

The 1979 Rolling Stone Record Guide called it "riotous", and "(maybe) the most important statement on rock stardom anyone has made in the late Seventies". His later Ordinary Average Guy is written as a late-life followup.

Doug:

(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay – Otis Redding

"(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" is a song co-written by soul singer Otis Redding and guitarist Steve Cropper. It was recorded by Redding twice in 1967, including once just three days before his death in a plane crash on December 10, 1967. The song was released on Stax Records' Volt label in 1968, becoming the first ever posthumous single to top the charts in the US. It reached number 3 on the UK Singles Chart.

Chap:

Baby I’m-a Want You - Bread

"Baby I'm-a Want You" is a song by American soft rock band Bread. The single was released in October 1971 and became the title track for the album of the same name, released in January 1972.

It was one of Bread's highest-charting singles in both the U.S. and UK. In the U.S., it reached No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in November 1971, the third of Bread's four top-five hits ("Make It with You", No. 1 in 1970; "If", No. 4 earlier in 1971; and "Everything I Own", from the same album, No. 5 in 1972). "Baby I'm-a Want You" reached the top of the Easy Listening chart and rose to No. 14 on the UK Singles Chart in February 1972.

It was certified as a gold record by the RIAA. As with virtually all of the band's well-known recordings, the song was both written and produced by the band's lead vocalist, David Gates.
Scooter and Doug are the clear winners of this round for me, with Walsh leading it by a good margin. Man, I love that song, as well as most by Walsh.

Dr. Octopus:

Jeb:

Peace Frog – The Doors

Scooter:

Doug:

Chap:

Doug is the clear winner of this round.

These guys

You know, you might be onto something here, my spirit animal. When I was a junior(?) in college, I took a job at a local clothing store for extra money. I hated that job so much. The manager acted like she thought I was there for a career instead of just being a dumb college student, so she'd suddenly say things like, "Take this shirt and make me three creative outfits for displays," like it was a test. Lady, I just liked ringing people up since it was easy, or unpacking the new inventory on Wednesdays. I wasn't looking to change anyone's life through New England puffy-sweater fashion.

Anyway, the store had the usual continuous loop of "not gonna offend anyone" music where I grew to hate most of the songs. I don't even remember what any of them were anymore, except this one. I could not hate a song more.
Senior year in HS, I was working a typically slow Sunday afternoon shift at the pizza shop while cramming for my Calc midterm the following day. I guess I got too engaged in a practice problem because I forgot about an old guy's pizza in the oven and burned it to a crisp. I profusely apologized, refunded his money, and quickly made a new pizza for him. Not content with that, he said "Son, let me give you some life advice. You really should be paying a lot more attention to making pizza and lot less on [looks at my textbook]... Calculus." Duly noted, dude. The shop had a jukebox that also continuously played annoying music, but unfortunately I can't claim that the old man selected Steely Dan before yelling at me.

Love all these songs today. Just by way of saying that I'm reading the thread and still following, just not much to say.

The shop had a jukebox that also continuously played annoying music, but unfortunately I can't claim that the old man selected Steely Dan before yelling at me.

He wouldn't have yelled at you for that, then. Everyone knows that people who like Steely Dan are 100% bona fide connoisseurs of soul and wouldn't sweat it a bit.

Not my #1 pick for the day by any stretch (that would be Jimi), but I gotta give Friends in Low Places a little love. Even though my friends and I all hated modern country back then, I'm not sure you could go to an SEC school in the 90s and not have fond memories of Friends. It was a staple at every karaoke night I ever went to, and everyone in the place always sang along. Even the goth crew would join in. We could use some more Garth in these divided times.

Not my #1 pick for the day by any stretch (that would be Jimi), but I gotta give Friends in Low Places a little love. Even though my friends and I all hated modern country back then, I'm not sure you could go to an SEC school in the 90s and not have fond memories of Friends. It was a staple at every karaoke night I ever went to, and everyone in the place always sang along. Even the goth crew would join in. We could use some more Garth in these divided times.
Scooter lived in Houston (energy business) when that song was big. I suspect that’s part of it for him.

You know, you might be onto something here, my spirit animal. When I was a junior(?) in college, I took a job at a local clothing store for extra money. I hated that job so much. The manager acted like she thought I was there for a career instead of just being a dumb college student, so she'd suddenly say things like, "Take this shirt and make me three creative outfits for displays," like it was a test. Lady, I just liked ringing people up since it was easy, or unpacking the new inventory on Wednesdays. I wasn't looking to change anyone's life through New England puffy-sweater fashion.

Anyway, the store had the usual continuous loop of "not gonna offend anyone" music where I grew to hate most of the songs. I don't even remember what any of them were anymore, except this one. I could not hate a song more.
Senior year in HS, I was working a typically slow Sunday afternoon shift at the pizza shop while cramming for my Calc midterm the following day. I guess I got too engaged in a practice problem because I forgot about an old guy's pizza in the oven and burned it to a crisp. I profusely apologized, refunded his money, and quickly made a new pizza for him. Not content with that, he said "Son, let me give you some life advice. You really should be paying a lot more attention to making pizza and lot less on [looks at my textbook]... Calculus." Duly noted, dude. The shop had a jukebox that also continuously played annoying music, but unfortunately I can't claim that the old man selected Steely Dan before yelling at me.
Did you used to work at All-American Burger?

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to all who observe it. I'm not Canadian but I'm thankful that there's no Rush on these lists.

there is no reason for this kind of "out of the blue" hand grenade for all of the esoteric ********* stuff you like

this tyranny will not stand man.

This might have been covered in the first post, which I'm too lazy to scroll back to see, but did any of you double up on artists for the album version of this? Will you be doubling up on artists for songs?

ETA: I mean doubling up by a particular drafter, not multiple drafters taking the same song/album.

I will say (with no judgment) that I don’t get people that “hate” Steely Dan. They created a sound that no other band had or has, and their studio work is absurdly good without being “over-bearing”. They’re so clean and crisp without being sterile. There’s still soul there.
I appreciate the musicianship and sounds of jazz fusion, but I really don't "get" them.

This might have been covered in the first post, which I'm too lazy to scroll back to see, but did any of you double up on artists for the album version of this? Will you be doubling up on artists for songs?

ETA: I mean doubling up by a particular drafter, not multiple drafters taking the same song/album.
There are no rules against doubling up for artist or even for songs.

For songs I personally chose not to but for albums I did double up on some artists.

I will say (with no judgment) that I don’t get people that “hate” Steely Dan. They created a sound that no other band had or has, and their studio work is absurdly good without being “over-bearing”. They’re so clean and crisp without being sterile. There’s still soul there.
I appreciate the musicianship and sounds of jazz fusion, but I really don't "get" them.
They may be too good looking for some folks.

Dr. Octopus:

Be My Baby – The Ronettes

Spector produced "Be My Baby" at Gold Star Studios with his de facto house band, later known as "the Wrecking Crew". It marked the first time that he recorded with a full orchestra, and the song is regarded as the quintessential example of his Wall of Sound recording technique. Ronnie Spector (then known as Veronica Bennett) is the only Ronette that appears on the track. In 1964, it appeared on the album Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes.

Jeb:

Incinerate – Sonic Youth

Rather Ripped is considered to be one of Sonic Youth's most accessible albums, featuring an abundance of concise songs dealing with melancholic topics such as adultery, sexual frustration, and infidelity. Upon its release, the album peaked at number 71 on the US Billboard 200 and number 64 on the UK Albums Chart.

Scooter:

Come Sail Away - Styx

Lyrically, the song uses sailing as a metaphor to achieve one's dreams. The lyrics touch on nostalgia of "childhood friends," escapism, and a religious thematic symbolized by "a gathering of angels" singing "a song of hope." The ending lyrics explain a transformation from a sailing ship into a starship, by narrating that "they climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies".

Doug:

Mrs. Robinson – Simon & Garfunkel

"Mrs. Robinson" became the duo's second chart-topper, hitting No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, as well as peaking within the top 10 of the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Spain, among other countries. In 1969, it became the first rock song to win the Grammy Award for Record of the Year. The song contains a famous reference to baseball star Joe DiMaggio. The song has been covered by a number of artists, including Frank Sinatra, the Lemonheads, and Bon Jovi. In 2004, it finished at No. 6 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.

Chap:

Everlasting Love – Carl Carlton

Carl Carlton recorded "Everlasting Love" in October 1973 at the Berry Hill (Tenn) studio Creative Workshop, which was owned by Buzz Cason; however, Cason was not involved in the recording of Carlton's version - the singer had himself chosen to record "Everlasting Love", which he knew via the version on David Ruffin's 1969 album My Whole World Ended.

I picked "Incinerate" for Genrepalooza in the outstanding bass category. I especially picked this version, which has double bass going on. I think a member of Pavement is playing the other bass. I forget exactly who that is.

Here's that version. I wonder if Jeb has ever seen it. Tell him about it for me, will ya Doc?

Just watched it again. The crescendoes and jamming they do after the 3:06 mark are just sick. A pocket Grateful Dead, really.

Dr. Octopus:

Be My Baby – The Ronettes

Spector produced "Be My Baby" at Gold Star Studios with his de facto house band, later known as "the Wrecking Crew". It marked the first time that he recorded with a full orchestra, and the song is regarded as the quintessential example of his Wall of Sound recording technique. Ronnie Spector (then known as Veronica Bennett) is the only Ronette that appears on the track. In 1964, it appeared on the album Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes.

Jeb:

Incinerate – Sonic Youth

Rather Ripped is considered to be one of Sonic Youth's most accessible albums, featuring an abundance of concise songs dealing with melancholic topics such as adultery, sexual frustration, and infidelity. Upon its release, the album peaked at number 71 on the US Billboard 200 and number 64 on the UK Albums Chart.

Scooter:

Come Sail Away - Styx

Lyrically, the song uses sailing as a metaphor to achieve one's dreams. The lyrics touch on nostalgia of "childhood friends," escapism, and a religious thematic symbolized by "a gathering of angels" singing "a song of hope." The ending lyrics explain a transformation from a sailing ship into a starship, by narrating that "they climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies".

Doug:

Mrs. Robinson – Simon & Garfunkel

"Mrs. Robinson" became the duo's second chart-topper, hitting No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, as well as peaking within the top 10 of the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Spain, among other countries. In 1969, it became the first rock song to win the Grammy Award for Record of the Year. The song contains a famous reference to baseball star Joe DiMaggio. The song has been covered by a number of artists, including Frank Sinatra, the Lemonheads, and Bon Jovi. In 2004, it finished at No. 6 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.

Chap:

Everlasting Love – Carl Carlton

Carl Carlton recorded "Everlasting Love" in October 1973 at the Berry Hill (Tenn) studio Creative Workshop, which was owned by Buzz Cason; however, Cason was not involved in the recording of Carlton's version - the singer had himself chosen to record "Everlasting Love", which he knew via the version on David Ruffin's 1969 album My Whole World Ended.
Scooter has this round with Doug a distant second. The rest are a whole lot of middle-of-the-road for me. The song selections are really interesting to me for a group of dudes that are around my age, not a lot of overlap with what I listened to back then.

Users who are viewing this thread