What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"The Voice" , new singing talent search show (1 Viewer)

I didn't understand the point of allowing #4 and #5 to be part of the play-in. Why didn't they simply take the top four from the five semi-finalists? Did they expect someone from 6-12 would beat 4-5? If so, than why?

#unimpressed #expected #duh
My guess is to possibly cover a situation where a singer had a bad week and was let go. Give them a chance to really NAIL a song and possibly come back.

But I agree that it was gonna be tough to beat either of the 4/5 spots

I like the show, moreso at the beginning than at the end. I think the selection shows are interesting as are the knock out rounds and live performances. However, once it switches down to the final 12 the show really loses its luster. The judges are all pumping up their singers and none of the judges is ever critical of a performance (by their singer or anyone other singer). It is just too over the top with "I can't wait to buy your record", "You are amazing", "I'm so proud of you", "That was my favorite performance you have done" and "I think the talent on this season is the best ever".
That's why I fast forward through all that. I just watch the performances and the rehearsals. Really cuts down on viewing time too.
I also cut out the rehearsals, and fast-forward through the performance if I don't like the first 15 seconds. REALLY cuts down on viewing time! Agree with OP that The Voice is best singing show through the battle rounds, but once the live shows start it pales in comparison to Idol because there is no one who calls out the contestants on poor choices and indulgent performances, of which there are many.
On The Voice they are coaches, but on Idol they are judges, and therefore their roles are different when giving feedback after performances.

Only 2 I cared to listed to were Damian and Danika. I thought Danika had a winning voice. Now that she's gone, so am I. Boring group this year.

I like the show, moreso at the beginning than at the end. I think the selection shows are interesting as are the knock out rounds and live performances. However, once it switches down to the final 12 the show really loses its luster. The judges are all pumping up their singers and none of the judges is ever critical of a performance (by their singer or anyone other singer). It is just too over the top with "I can't wait to buy your record", "You are amazing", "I'm so proud of you", "That was my favorite performance you have done" and "I think the talent on this season is the best ever".
That's why I fast forward through all that. I just watch the performances and the rehearsals. Really cuts down on viewing time too.
I also cut out the rehearsals, and fast-forward through the performance if I don't like the first 15 seconds. REALLY cuts down on viewing time! Agree with OP that The Voice is best singing show through the battle rounds, but once the live shows start it pales in comparison to Idol because there is no one who calls out the contestants on poor choices and indulgent performances, of which there are many.
On The Voice they are coaches, but on Idol they are judges, and therefore their roles are different when giving feedback after performances.
Yes, that is the problem with the show once it reaches the live rounds. Play-in was also a stupid gimmick that invalidated the previous month.

so which of the decent singers that will never have a career past this show are you guys routing for?
When is the winner announced? you know, the exact moment before they go back to total anonymity.
To be fair, a number of them get to sing the National Anthem at NFL games. ;)

I wonder if the original songs complete with videos were a attempt to try to change this. Also, I expect Pharell will try to work with some of the contestants. Whether they break through remains to be seen.

itunes stats:

Order for original song = Matt. Craig, Chris, Damian

9 of top 15 are Voice songs.Chris and Matt each have three, Craig 2, Damian 1

Chris nailed it last night. Probably won't beat Matt, but he was money.
I thought Damien had the best night all the way through - The cover, duet and original all were done well and "big"

Chris was the best on the duet - that was really good. The JT was a bit weak IMO and original was good but missed the "big" moment for me

Matt was great on the original but I couldn't match the top button on the collar closed with his James Brown effort - came off looking weird. Not his best night on the cover - but he's killed other covers all season long. Good duet but not as good as the one Chris had.

Craig was great on the Alabama song - really into it emotionally. Thought he sounded small against Blake on duet and original was good but a bit formulaic on that song and it just didn't have an pop too it. Needed to go grungier on the sound IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blech. Weeks ago I thought Craig was the strongest. But he faded at the end imo. I thought Matt should have won.

I wonder if Adam having so many artists in the finals actually hurt with split votes.

Beyond the neck tatoo, Matt needed one of those Gwen Makeovers. Bad dresser, bad hair Chris probably siphoned off too many Cute Pop Boy votes. He also has less stage presence than Chris and Craig imo.

not too many watching anymore?

like quite a few this year so far.

kid who sang "man of constant sorrow" (sawyer fredericks)

brooke adee

cody wickline

Joshua davis

Watching, most of the people singing are really good. Different from AI, where they throw in some goofballs just for fun. Also most seem to have a story behind them, so that they can stretch the TV show.

Lowell Oakley - the kid who sang the 50s tune, like Sinatra.

Anthony Riley - Sang "I Got You (I Feel Good)" He sang great, and was gliding up there, almost Michael Jackson-esque.

and a couple more, these just stuck out.

I'm still a big fan and enjoyed this week's performances. I haven't locked in on any favorites yet, though.

It does have its share of drama, though, between the sob stories and Adam not getting any contestants for awhile. Good chance that was totally edited and trumped up?

I find it curious how for some of the contestants they have already gone to their hometowns and done a bit of filming. You wonder if these guys are set to go further.

Sneak Peek - Upcoming Season

Pretty cool...went to college with this guy and his older brother. Looks like he will be a factor in this season. He's a teacher, but he's got a lot of experience in the music scene. And actually won the Grammy Awards - Gig of a Lifetime contest a few years ago. I think he also was on an early season of American Idol.

That teacher was pretty awesome. I also liked the 15 year old singer. She was amazing and definitely had an old soul voice

I'm still a big fan and enjoyed this week's performances. I haven't locked in on any favorites yet, though.

It does have its share of drama, though, between the sob stories and Adam not getting any contestants for awhile. Good chance that was totally edited and trumped up?
Being this show is not live yet, I'm sure there is a ton of editing that goes on to keep the audience "on the edge of their seat." I didn't hear the nerdy looking guy with the glasses sing as I was on the phone, but saw he had 4 chairs. I love seeing someone who doesn't look the part do well. I hope he goes far.

We still have not gotten around to getting our act together and going, but friends who have attended tapings of the blinds say that they are heavily edited. You never know, watching at home, in what order the contestants actually sang and such. It's interesting.

I liked S9E1. I did not enjoy last season much at all because the talent seemed low, Adam & Blake's energy was down, and Sawyer was anointed the inevitable winner from his first appearance, irrespective of how he actually did as the competition went on. Those issues already seem fixed. No heir apparent crowned (although there are some obvious contenders already like the teacher and the young guy who sang Sia), everyone seems pumped, and Gwen brings a really sweet vibe to the coaching panel. She's incredibly nice and positive and fun to watch. Even when she was going through family turmoil. Looking ahead to this season and hoping for a good one!

So, not too many people watching this anymore? This far along in the show I normally have a favorite picked out, but to me the talent is really good this year. Not sure who I like best right now. 

Cant stand Miley, but shes been pretty tame so far. The talent pool is high and after a couple shows, some good singers didnt get picked. Great voice on Billy Gilman. 

Users who are viewing this thread