What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (1 Viewer)

:thumbdown: Good vid, but my favorite might have to be the scene with McNulty & Bunk analyzing the crime scene with the dead girl in her kitchen, and it's only "f###" over and over.

Basically, anything on network TV is just utter garbage...it didn't used to be this way. For instance, the original CSI was solid. But any new shows (any CSI now, The Forgotten, V, hell, even Criminal Minds has tanked) are just unwatchable. I don't think, really, that it was The Wire that did us all in, I think it was the fact that the shows on network TV are poorly written and horribly acted that was the downfall. :)
other simon shows that help ease the withdrawl are the corner http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009ATJ...K2E25T7CBGD86QXand the homicide life on the streets

Yes. That was the scene that convinced me that this show is nothing less than capital-G Genius on a par with the greatest works of Tolstoy, Kafka, Rodan, Kurasowa, Yeats, etc. My 2nd favorite scene is the one where Snoop gives the guy at Home Depot a $400 tip for selling her the nail gun most effective for the comission of homicides.

I love the scene in S1 when they break into Savino's mom's house, and she thinks they're coming for her other son. :goodposting:

Just started watching the whole series last week. Borrowed them from my BIL. I'm 4 episodes into Season 2, as of yesterday.

I look forward to coming back in a couple weeks and catching up on these 32 pages.

Looks like The Wire will be making a second appearance as a Doctor Who villain in season 5, so we're getting some sequel to "the Idiot's Lantern".

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wire

"Now, are you sitting comfortably? Good, then we'll begin."

―The Wire.[src]

The Wire was a criminal from the planet Hermethica. Sentenced to death and executed by its people, it managed preserve itself as an energy being that escaped to Earth in 1953, through the communications device of one of its executioners, who was illegally recording the execuation.

It concealed itself in television signals, transferring itself from set to set. It fed off the mental signals of the brains of Humans, paralysing them and then sucking out their energy with electrical tendrils (DW: The Idiot's Lantern). This process would leave the victim mindless, as well as faceless. Rose Tyler suffered this fate when she started investigating the phenomenon. The victim's consciousness was retained intact, as seen when The Wire showed the Doctor a sampling of its victims on the televisions in Magpie's shop. The Wire used the image of a female BBC continuity announcer to communicate with the outside world. It hoped to use this energy to manifest itself in its corporeal form once more.

The Wire stole the face of Mr Magpie, who owned an electrical shop, and gave it back to him, giving him plans for then-future technologies (such as a portable television small enough to carry in one hand) and promising freedom to him after the completion of its simple two-phase plan: First, have Magpie sell cheap television sets all over North London so it could feed. Second, have Magpie connect the Wire (inside the portable television) to the television transmission tower at Alexandra Palace on Queen Elizabeth II's coronation day, June 2nd, 1953. Connected to the tower, the Wire could both transmit itself to the estimated three million viewers watching in the vicinity and transmit back energy it could use to re-constitute its corporeal body.

However, the Doctor was able to trap the Wire on a Betamax tape using a makeshift video recorder. The Wire's victims were then restored to normality. The Doctor seemed confident that the Wire would remain trapped, but said that he would tape over it, just to be safe. (DW: The Idiot's Lantern)

Looks like The Wire will be making a second appearance as a Doctor Who villain in season 5, so we're getting some sequel to "the Idiot's Lantern".

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wire

"Now, are you sitting comfortably? Good, then we'll begin."

―The Wire.[src]

The Wire was a criminal from the planet Hermethica. Sentenced to death and executed by its people, it managed preserve itself as an energy being that escaped to Earth in 1953, through the communications device of one of its executioners, who was illegally recording the execuation.

It concealed itself in television signals, transferring itself from set to set. It fed off the mental signals of the brains of Humans, paralysing them and then sucking out their energy with electrical tendrils (DW: The Idiot's Lantern). This process would leave the victim mindless, as well as faceless. Rose Tyler suffered this fate when she started investigating the phenomenon. The victim's consciousness was retained intact, as seen when The Wire showed the Doctor a sampling of its victims on the televisions in Magpie's shop. The Wire used the image of a female BBC continuity announcer to communicate with the outside world. It hoped to use this energy to manifest itself in its corporeal form once more.

The Wire stole the face of Mr Magpie, who owned an electrical shop, and gave it back to him, giving him plans for then-future technologies (such as a portable television small enough to carry in one hand) and promising freedom to him after the completion of its simple two-phase plan: First, have Magpie sell cheap television sets all over North London so it could feed. Second, have Magpie connect the Wire (inside the portable television) to the television transmission tower at Alexandra Palace on Queen Elizabeth II's coronation day, June 2nd, 1953. Connected to the tower, the Wire could both transmit itself to the estimated three million viewers watching in the vicinity and transmit back energy it could use to re-constitute its corporeal body.

However, the Doctor was able to trap the Wire on a Betamax tape using a makeshift video recorder. The Wire's victims were then restored to normality. The Doctor seemed confident that the Wire would remain trapped, but said that he would tape over it, just to be safe. (DW: The Idiot's Lantern)
Has there ever been a thread about the worst schtick on this history of the FFA? If so, I think I have a nominee.

Just joined NetFlix and The Wire is the first program I am renting. I only saw the final season on HBO - so I am basically starting from scratch.

I knew going in it was a good program....and I am now seeing that it was worth all the hype.

So far I am on Season 1 - Epispode 5 and loving every second!

Funny to see Charles from The Office playing a high level bad guy.

Any word on Ziggy's duck?
Pretty sure it never came back to life.More annoying character: Ziggy, or Walon, the recovering drug addict?
Ziggy. Please don't disrespect Steve Earle.
He's not awful on this show? I have to restrain myself from starting heroin whenever he has a scene.
Well, he's maybe not my favorite, but his real life story is compelling, and I always liked Guitar Town.

The bad news is that this show has totally and completely ruined every other thing, save for sports, that we watch on TV. I mean, ever since we started watching this a couple of months ago, we have realized just how horrible 99% of TV is. Well, I guess our cooking shows are safe, but just about everything else is just trash.
I'm still in Wire hangover mode. It's been 6 months now and I haven't watched any TV other than sports and Entourage since. Tried to get into Weeds, tried Mad Men. Nothing. And the worst part is, I really don't want them to try and resurrect The Wire, or make a movie. It ended perfectly.
Some things you just have to let go of. Just a great show.
Yeah, agreed. We're thinking of trying to some older shows that we never saw: Oz, Sopranos, Weeds, maybe Mad Men.I think we're the only couple who never saw any Sopranos...
The upside to watching Oz is you get to see Carver, Avon Barksdale and Bodie again.
ah, that's where I recognized Bodie from. Don't really remember Carver and Avon though.

KnowledgeReignsSupreme said:
On The Rocks said:
Funny to see Charles from The Office playing a high level bad guy.
Odd, I thought it was funny to see Stringer Bell from The Wire playing a corporate suit. :shrug:
exactly. soccer in a parking lot? string finally made it off the corners.

ah, that's where I recognized Bodie from. Don't really remember Carver and Avon though.
Avon was only in there for one episode I think. He left the gun in the laundry for Kareem Said to find in S1. Carver was the corrections officer whose dad was murdered in Oz and the Warden was trying to keep him out of trouble although he ends up trying to assassinate the governor.I forgot Lt. Daniels was in this too. He played the undercover cop with the Jamaican accent trying to infiltrate Adebisi's gang. He gets killed by Carver when they're both locked up.

Avon was only in there for one episode I think. He left the gun in the laundry for Kareem Said to find in S1. Carver was the corrections officer whose dad was murdered in Oz and the Warden was trying to keep him out of trouble although he ends up trying to assassinate the governor.I forgot Lt. Daniels was in this too. He played the undercover cop with the Jamaican accent trying to infiltrate Adebisi's gang. He gets killed by Carver when they're both locked up.
:gang1: yeah, I remember Carver now. I'll have to rewatch Oz one day.

In a lot of ways OZ was the most important show in the past 15 years. If OZ went down in flames maybe HBO does not get into the Sunday night mini series business. No Sopranos (BTW Eddie Falco was in Oz), No Wire, No Deadwood, No Rome, No Band of Brothers... etc.

I watch Deadwood on Directv 101 and saw in a preview of Oz after the show that Carcetti's campaign manager was also a warden at Oz for a short time.

I watch Deadwood on Directv 101 and saw in a preview of Oz after the show that Carcetti's campaign manager was also a warden at Oz for a short time.
Oh yeah, that's right. Corrupt mother####er too.

I really miss this show. The only TV series I own on DVD. Didn't feel right shortchanging David Simon via torrents. I have probably watched the entire series 5x. I know it's not in Simon's style and would mess up a great thing but I'd love a 2 hour movie on HBO or something. He could pick a few characters and follow their lives. I have love for pretty much every character even Ziggy's duck....and fyi, women don't like being called Horseface.

I really miss this show. The only TV series I own on DVD. Didn't feel right shortchanging David Simon via torrents. I have probably watched the entire series 5x. I know it's not in Simon's style and would mess up a great thing but I'd love a 2 hour movie on HBO or something. He could pick a few characters and follow their lives. I have love for pretty much every character even Ziggy's duck....and fyi, women don't like being called Horseface.
Yea i just went to pop on season 1 and looked in my box set that i spent $200 on and i'm missing season's 1 and 5. I can't remember who i lent season 1 to. :rolleyes:

Just finished the entire series this week. Good lord, what a show. Full of tragic characters, with only a few bright spots at the end.

What characters...great plots, man, I'm gonna miss this show. Bubbles was a favorite, as was Senator Clay Davis (surprisingly), McNulty grew on me, Daniels I liked, and the politician, the polish dock union boss guy was a great character.

Can't wait to watch this series through again with the wife this time. We're marching through Dexter right now, which is good but nowhere near the goodness of the Wire.

Just finished the entire series this week. Good lord, what a show. Full of tragic characters, with only a few bright spots at the end.What characters...great plots, man, I'm gonna miss this show. Bubbles was a favorite, as was Senator Clay Davis (surprisingly), McNulty grew on me, Daniels I liked, and the politician, the polish dock union boss guy was a great character.Can't wait to watch this series through again with the wife this time. We're marching through Dexter right now, which is good but nowhere near the goodness of the Wire.
I love Dexter but i agree, The Wire is on a different level.

It's one of those series where I wish I could erase my memory just so I could watch it again and enjoy it the same amount as the first time.

Got the entire series for Christmas and just made it through season 2. What a phenominal show. Bunk is probably my favorite character so far. That guy just has so many clever 1 liners. Thought season 2 started slowly but finished with a bang. Can't wait to start season 3.

Just finished the entire series this week. Good lord, what a show. Full of tragic characters, with only a few bright spots at the end.What characters...great plots, man, I'm gonna miss this show. Bubbles was a favorite, as was Senator Clay Davis (surprisingly), McNulty grew on me, Daniels I liked, and the politician, the polish dock union boss guy was a great character.Can't wait to watch this series through again with the wife this time. We're marching through Dexter right now, which is good but nowhere near the goodness of the Wire.
I love Dexter but i agree, The Wire is on a different level.
Thanks I love you too.

Users who are viewing this thread