What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

These Drug Commercials are OUT of CONTROL!!! (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Where do I start?

First off, Mrs and I don't watch a lot of TV together and when i watch Sports, have the sounds turned down often and stream music while I watch.
We tape a lot of shows so we can just FF thru commercials but once in a while you get caught on some live TV and they start playing.
One is winking at me a lot, sounds like the name is Sky Rizzy or something. There are a bunch like O-O-O-OZAMPIC! You KNOW!

Prescriptions meds are Big Busienss and they line the leaders pocketbooks so they can operate mostly free and clear in the United States
Did you know that only New Zealand and the United States allow for you to just speak directly with your doctor and make them give you a prescription for what you see on TV?
That's not common any where else. What I'm saying is they don't allow these drug companies to advertise on TV in most countries. Think about that
We are sick sick sick in this country and nobody wants to take personal responsibility for their long term health it seems.

I turn 50 next year and I am proud that I take nothing. I do toke/420 old school flowers, none of this vape stick stuff. Several times daily I might add so i do partake in a drug of sorts but it's nothing like this stuff people are swallowing and putting in their systems. Many times you gotta take a 2nd, 3rd and 4th drug to counteract the side effects of the first drug.

Now let me take my MoP helmet off and get real with a lot of you, I understand why many take them. You work your flippin' tail off all week, you support a family and house, you're lucky if you can even catch a football game on the weekend while MoP just parades around the Shark Pool hyping up Isiah Pacheco "Get off my Back!" I get it. You just want a quick fix so you can get back to your real responsibilities, again I have compassion for all of you.

But you need to try and carve out some time for your own physical and spiritual needs so that you don't need to take a drug that apparently makes you feel like you went from a prison cell-Dr's Office to a sunny beach on a secluded island as you break down the wall of the Dr's Office and step out into the VR World of Television.

Most of these drugs they advertise are horrible and have some of the worst side effects vs getting the munchies on pot.
I was prescribed a drug for anxiety when i was in SOCal around '03-'04 range, changed my personality and my sex drive went into the floor, wife threw them in the trash after less than a week.

Also, those that do take them tend to defend them, addiction is a tough road and I battle it in other areas as well which leads me to my next topic I wanted to share...

I still drink a decent amount of beer but MoP has not had a drop of hard liquor (I like my craft Whiskey/Bourbons) in over a month, maybe 6 weeks and I feel great
MoP hasn't had any scuffles with folks lately, there seems to be a connection here. Just wanted to share and I am also considering a steep drop in my beer consumption but as some of you might recall, I partially own and work in a drive thru craft beer store and Oh Boy do i have some direct access to deliciousness BUT...I can't exactly tell folks about how bad prescription meds are when I am numbing up with alcohol even in lower doses with beer vs liquor. I gotta keep it real, i have the same challenges as many of you, I just am skeptical of doctors and don't trust them and I bet they have a drug for that, talk to your doctor.

Talk to your doctor
Talk to your doctor
Talk to your doctor...why do they want me to run to the phone? Are they really worried about my personal health on these TV commercials?

How dare you say such things and curtail the possibility of obese people everywhere to do song and dance numbers about the drugs they take to deal with their diabetes on t.v.?

Were it up to me the first two types of commercials I'd outlaw are for pharmaceuticals and the armed forces.

How dare you say such things and curtail the possibility of obese people everywhere to do song and dance numbers about the drugs they take to deal with their diabetes on t.v.?

Were it up to me the first two types of commercials I'd outlaw are for pharmaceuticals and the armed forces.
Instant mute when that one comes on.

i imagine it is very difficult for the drug companies to get major actors and celebrities to pimp their products so they shuffle thru a million head shots to find the most desperate of actors that roam the streets of Los Angeles, I actually recognize occasionally some of the actors I studied with at the Beverly Playhouse in my time in Los Angeles, total Scientology front is the Bev Hills Playhouse. But I had a lot of fun there between about 2001/2002

They prey on desperate actors and actresses that will say anything on TV for the few thousands of dollars they pay them.
They sit there and smile and act happy, I doubt any of them actually take the drug themselves.
Something I remember when I was in SoCal was the commercial business for actors
BTW: I don't fault these no names in the 90%+ of unemployed people, but it doesn't change the pool these advertisers draw out of.

I for one would like to thank MOP for explaining how tv commercials are made and with whom. It's been a lifelong mystery for me until now!
Nonsense. I remember Jason Alexander frantically dancing his little tootsies off hocking the McDLT back in the 80's, and look what a big star he became!

I for one would like to thank MOP for explaining how tv commercials are made and with whom. It's been a lifelong mystery for me until now!
Nonsense. I remember Jason Alexander frantically dancing his little tootsies off hocking the McDLT back in the 80's, and look what a big star he became!

:lol:

Certainly nothing ambiguously gay about this one....

The US aand NZ are the only two countries in the world that allow pharmaceutical advertising like this. It’s gross. My favorite part is the ”don’t take XYZ, if you’re allergic to XYZ”

I rather enjoy them. They're like 2 minute musicals. So full of smiles and dancing while talking about side effects like anal leakage and explosive diahrhehheah.

:lmao: It's even worse than I had remembered.

i imagine it is very difficult for the drug companies to get major actors and celebrities to pimp their products so they shuffle thru a million head shots to find the most desperate of actors that roam the streets of Los Angeles, I actually recognize occasionally some of the actors I studied with at the Beverly Playhouse in my time in Los Angeles, total Scientology front is the Bev Hills Playhouse. But I had a lot of fun there between about 2001/2002

They prey on desperate actors and actresses that will say anything on TV for the few thousands of dollars they pay them.
They sit there and smile and act happy, I doubt any of them actually take the drug themselves.
BTW: I don't fault these no names in the 90%+ of unemployed people, but it doesn't change the pool these advertisers draw out of.
as opposed to every other commercial on tv?

as opposed to every other commercial on tv?
-many will say "paid actors"

Men walking thru Home Depot commercials are not nearly as offensive as some of these drug commercials where they make it seem like everyone is suffering in the corner.
There's a ton of ads that don't fall anywhere near this level.

Not to mention that big time actors do commercials but typically it's for reputable businesses
Then there is the whole FTX with Brady and lots of others but they were duped by Friedman of course

Wonder how much money people lost on these

The US aand NZ are the only two countries in the world that allow pharmaceutical advertising like this. It’s gross. My favorite part is the ”don’t take XYZ, if you’re allergic to XYZ”

I rather enjoy them. They're like 2 minute musicals. So full of smiles and dancing while talking about side effects like anal leakage and explosive diahrhehheah.
Two really good fantasy team names there

There's a drug for that.

There's a drug for that.

Yeah, but if I take that drug for those symptoms, I'll grow a third b00b and start talking like Fran Drescher.

That's a really good start. Third would be lawyer commercials. Especially the class action ones: If you or a love one died, please call the law offices... 🤨

While I agree that pharmaceutical ads have become beyond ridiculous, you're going a little far with your other hot take by throwing all prescription drugs in one bucket and implying that they aren't needed if you just eat right and self-medicate. Some health issues aren't going to be helped that way, but I'm happy that you are lucky enough not to have any of those issues.
It's ok to be annoyed by and skeptical of ads on tv but still trust your doctor. Though personally, any doctor I've ever had would laugh at me if I tried to "make" them give me a prescription for something I saw on tv. If any doctor gave me a prescription just because I told them to, I'd get myself a new doctor.

There's a drug for that.

Yeah, but if I take that drug for those symptoms, I'll grow a third b00b and start talking like Fran Drescher.
Three is better than 2 and I love me some Fran. 😉

Seems like every drug company on the planet somehow came up with a cure for unsightly skin conditions at the same time. I can't remember seeing anyone walking around with basketball-sized rashes but all those commercials seem to prove it.

I’ve never met a physician who approves of direct-to-consumer pharmaceutical marketing, though I gotta say, the royalty checks are nice. :moneybag:

So you're telling me if I just eat right and exercise my enlarged prostate of 25 years will shrink? Or my wife's thyroid will magically grow back........ Good to know
Mother died 46 from cancer after she had her thyroid removed at 36
Father died of prostate cancer at 59

We can do this your way or you can also admit that what I am talking about is a lot different than the drugs you and your wife absolutely need to live a normal life
Most of these drugs I have issues with are trying to get people to "FEEL" like they need them and then order their doctor to give them a prescription
You didn't likely ask for the drugs you are given by your doctor, he/she told you and your wife that you gotta take these, I'm sure if I were in the same boat I'd do likewise
This is different

Most of these drugs are more about anxiety, depression and then of course it's the standard list of "Do you have problems catching your breath, Do you not sleep well at night, Does most high fat, high salt, low nutritional value food upset your tummy?

-I suffer from IBS and I have a long long list of foods and other stuff that basically turn my stomach into a washing machine that won't turn off, they have a boatload of drugs to make McDonald's cheeseburgers slide down easier and Pizza Hut won't turn my bung hole into a molten lava volcano...sometimes you gotta do things you don't enjoy.
One of the reasons I started dropping weight the 1st time was simply 86'n food that was literally making me sick.

-But I admit that I did things in my 20s that likely made me and my tummy the way I am now, I take full responsibility for that.
Bell, you and I have a sorta touchy relationship and I'm well aware of your disdain at times for me so please don't take this thread personal and forgive me if you felt offended

Cheers!

man, you have got to be careful putting those old VHS tapes on in front of just anybody

man, you have got to be careful putting those old VHS tapes on in front of just anybody
If that guy tried to sell me stuff, I'd likely kick him in the 'nads.

So you're telling me if I just eat right and exercise my enlarged prostate of 25 years will shrink? Or my wife's thyroid will magically grow back........ Good to know

We can do this your way or you can also admit that what I am talking about is a lot different than the drugs you and your wife absolutely need to live a normal life
Most of these drugs I have issues with are trying to get people to "FEEL" like they need them and then order their doctor to give them a prescription
You didn't likely ask for the drugs you are given by your doctor, he/she told you and your wife that you gotta take these, I'm sure if I were in the same boat I'd do likewise
This is different

Most of these drugs are more about anxiety, depression and then of course it's the standard list of "Do you have problems catching your breath, Do you not sleep well at night, Does most high fat, high salt, low nutritional value food upset your tummy?

-I suffer from IBS and I have a long long list of foods and other stuff that basically turn my stomach into a washing machine that won't turn off, they have a boatload of drugs to make McDonald's cheeseburgers slide down easier and Pizza Hut won't turn my bung hole into a molten lava volcano...sometimes you gotta do things you don't enjoy.
One of the reasons I started dropping weight the 1st time was simply 86'n food that was literally making me sick.

-But I admit that I did things in my 20s that likely made me and my tummy the way I am now, I take full responsibility for that.
Bell, you and I have a sorta touchy relationship and I'm well aware of your disdain at times for me so please don't take this thread personal and forgive me if you felt offended

Cheers!

Man I don't even know where to start with this.

FTR: Bell is/was a pretty good part of the diet thread that I was lucky enough to fall into about the time the Covid started
I was focused on getting my weight once and for all in check and Bell was kind enough to bow out for a little bit there so I could feel comfy posting any time I needed
That thread is really a support group
And of course there are a slew of others that cheered me on there and it really helped change my life

I'd be a real jerk to not acknowledge everyone in there for helping me avoid prescriptions so far, that's how I feel.
They've kept me OUT of doctor's offices, my blood work now comes back much better than ever before.
My parents both passed away early from cancer and I don't want to follow the same path
Neither of them were active as far as walking/biking or maybe golf/tennis, just wasn't something they did.
My dad ate at the mall a lot in the food courts, again probably was not smart

If you have to take a drug because there really isn't any other option, I totally understand. You are typically not the targets of these drug commercials I am emphasizing
These advertisers want to prey on people who will fall for their advertising.

This is different

Cheers!

If you read my opening line in the OP
Seems we both have problems figuring out where to start
I just grab a howitzer sometimes and then it gets messy.

Let's stay focused on the commercials, they want everyone to call their doctor
Not everyone needs to call their doctor

This is different

Cheers!

If you read my opening line in the OP
Seems we both have problems figuring out where to start
I just grab a howitzer sometimes and then it gets messy.

Let's stay focused on the commercials, they want everyone to call their doctor
Not everyone needs to call their doctor
Or we could bring up random meds at every appointment until the doctors rise up and shut those ads down.

(Just recently, I got a supply of meds for an enlarged prostate. Go ahead, ask me why.)

I was just thinking about this topic yesterday. I went to CVS because my wife had knee surgery and i was picking up her pain meds. We are not on any medications so had not been to the pharmacy in quite awhile. There were like 15 people in line at 2 in the afternoon of all ages picking up whatever. When I get up to the front I ask the lady "Is it like this everyday?" She says pretty much the same thing everyday. This is only one store, how many people are medicated everywhere now?

About the commercials, They play oldie songs and insert the drug name into the song with everybody smiling and working out.

Then when you listen at the end all the warnings sound worse than whatever is wrong with you. "Don`t take if you have considered suicide" Really?

While I agree that pharmaceutical ads have become beyond ridiculous, you're going a little far with your other hot take by throwing all prescription drugs in one bucket and implying that they aren't needed if you just eat right and self-medicate. Some health issues aren't going to be helped that way, but I'm happy that you are lucky enough not to have any of those issues.
It's ok to be annoyed by and skeptical of ads on tv but still trust your doctor. Though personally, any doctor I've ever had would laugh at me if I tried to "make" them give me a prescription for something I saw on tv. If any doctor gave me a prescription just because I told them to, I'd get myself a new doctor.

I spent the first decade or so of my legal career doing pharmaceutical drug product liability defense. Here are some of the things that I found out occur in the medical/pharma drug prescription industry.

1. Drug reps log descriptions of their drug calls on doctors. They log the number of samples they leave. They log the number of samples the doctor used for patients.

2. Drug companies track the number of prescriptions a doctor prescribes drugs. They know how many prescriptions Doctor A has prescribed of Drug W, and competitor Drugs X, Y, Z each month.

3. Drug companies use/used doctors as speakers for their drugs. They had national, regional and local speakers to promote their drugs. The speakers weren't chosen because they had a certain expertise in a field. They were chosen based on the amount of the drug companies drugs they prescribed in a certain month. When Doctor A didn't prescribe Drug W, Doctor A was told he would be removed as regional speaker for the drug company if he didn't up his prescriptions. Doctors were paid tens of thousands of dollars, would have their families sent to places like Hawaii, the Bahamas and other tropical locations to spend an hour talking about the drug at CMEs or symposiums.

4. For some health issues there are certain protocols for treatment. Like if you have Ailment A, then Drug X would be a first-in-line treatment option. If that isn't tolerated or work then you move to Drug Y. Some Doctors would go straight to the third-line option because they were regional speakers. So they would push possibly lesser effective and less tolerated treatments to get their prescriptions up so they could keep their speaker status.

I am with @Ministry of Pain here. I never take prescription drugs for anything. I don't think I ever will. I've read drug studies, internal emails from drug company CEOs, legal, doctors, scientists and FDA officials. The amount of crap that they did and do to get a drug approved and to market and then the stuff they do once it's on the market. Taking prescription drugs is a hard pass for me.

I know this is anecdotal but my wife and two daughters all were diagnosed with hypothroidism. They all took Synthroid daily. My oldest daughter after years of taking the medication, decided to stop taking it. After about a year of being off the medication, she had her thyroid levels checked and wouldn't you know, they were normal. Then my other daughter stopped taking the medication. After a year of being off the medication, had her thyroid levels checked and wouldn't you know, they were normal. Now three years later, neither of my daughters have hypothroidism since they stopped taking their medication to regulate their thyroid. Conversely, my wife continues to take her thyroid medicine daily and still has hypothroidism.

Last edited:

I know this is anecdotal but my wife and two daughters all were diagnosed with hypothroidism. They all took Synthroid daily. My oldest daughter after years of taking the medication, decided to stop taking it. After about a year of being off the medication, she had her thyroid levels checked and wouldn't you know, they were normal. Then my other daughter stopped taking the medication. After a year of being off the medication, had her thyroid levels checked and wouldn't you know, they were normal. Now three years later, neither of my daughters have hypothroidism since they stopped taking their medication to regulate their thyroid. Conversely, my wife continues to take her thyroid medicine daily and still has hypothroidism.
Did they have radioactive treatments for cancer?

Don't even get me started on cancer treatments. There is more money in "treating" cancer than there is in curing it.

I spent the first decade or so of my legal career doing pharmaceutical drug product liability defense. Here are some of the things that I found out occur in the medical/pharma drug prescription industry.

1. Drug reps log descriptions of their drug calls on doctors. They log the number of samples they leave. They log the number of samples the doctor used for patients.

2. Drug companies track the number of prescriptions a doctor prescribes drugs. They know how many prescriptions Doctor A has prescribed of Drug W, and competitor Drugs X, Y, Z each month.

3. Drug companies use/used doctors as speakers for their drugs. They had national, regional and local speakers to promote their drugs. The speakers weren't chosen because they had a certain expertise in a field. They were chosen based on the amount of the drug companies drugs they prescribed in a certain month. When Doctor A didn't prescribe Drug W, Doctor A was told he would be removed as regional speaker for the drug company if he didn't up his prescriptions. Doctors were paid tens of thousands of dollars, would have their families sent to places like Hawaii, the Bahamas and other tropical locations to spend an hour talking about the drug at CMEs or symposiums.

4. For some health issues there are certain protocols for treatment. Like if you have Ailment A, then Drug X would be a first-in-line treatment option. If that isn't tolerated or work then you move to Drug Y. Some Doctors would go straight to the third-line option because they were regional speakers. So they would push possibly lesser effective and less tolerated treatments to get their prescriptions up so they could keep their speaker status.

I am with @Ministry of Pain here. I never take prescription drugs for anything. I don't think I ever will. I've read drug studies, internal emails from drug company CEOs, legal, doctors, scientists and FDA officials. The amount of crap that they did and do to get a drug approved and to market and then the stuff they do once it's on the market. Taking prescription drugs is a hard pass for me.
Nobody is arguing things are perfect or that there aren't major flaws, but this strikes me as something like, "I've never needed to use a lawyer to represent me in a trial because I do things right and have been lucky. There are a lot of shady lawyers out there and so much of the law business is governed by money, so if I ever find myself in that position, I'm just going to represent myself."

This is different

Cheers!
FYI: Marijuana can cause/increase the risk of IBS. The positives might outweigh the negatives for you, but you should be aware of the side effects of any medication.

Don't even get me started on cancer treatments. There is more money in "treating" cancer than there is in curing it.
There it is...
:bored:

Nobody is arguing things are perfect or that there aren't major flaws, but this strikes me as something like, "I've never needed to use a lawyer to represent me in a trial because I do things right and have been lucky. There are a lot of shady lawyers out there and so much of the law business is governed by money, so if I ever find myself in that position, I'm just going to represent myself."

Terrible analogy. You can represent yourself, there are many people the are pro se. You can't prescribe yourself medication, you need a proxy.

I think Dana White said it best for me, "I'll never talk to a doctor about my general health ever again. If I break my arm, I'm gonna go see a doctor if I need surgery. I'm gonna go see a doctor, about my general health... never again."

Users who are viewing this thread