What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things you've put off buying, finally bought, and are super-glad you finally bit... (2 Viewers)

Bought this Nuwave Brio 8QT for the wife for Christmas because she thought she wanted one. Thus far I've been the only one to use and then just to make chicken strips. I doubt she ever uses it.

Mine does too, was hoping after a break in period it would eventually go away. Has a kind of plastic smell to it.
Mine is a Crux brand. Maybe that’s the issue? Probably less than $100

No dice on a rice cooker for me.  Cooking rice with a non-stick pot and a lid is drop-dead easy and it always comes out perfect.  I roll with basmati and jasmine almost exclusively, so maybe this technique does not work with other varieties.

• Rinse 150 g (about a half-cup) of rice under cold water for a minute.
  • Add to pot with 2 cups of water and 3/4 tsp of salt.
  • Bring to boil, heat down to 6, let go for 10 minutes
  • Lid on, heat down to 5, let go until the water has evaporated. 
  • Heat off, let set for 20 minutes
  • Perfect
I only do jasmine but my formula is 1c rice, 1.25 water, bring to boil, lower to low, 11 min, take off for 10 min.  Comes out perfect every time.   Can't tell u the number of times i screwed up rice before finding this and writing it down on an index card.   It's like we just need to wing it to keep life interesting.  Same thing happened with hardboiling eggs and making a mess out of peeling them until I found the perfect formula.  

My mother in law bought us one for Christmas about 5 years ago.  I refuse to use it.

I deep fry the old fashioned way: Fire up the big-### propane fryer in my driveway with Peanut Oil while drinking a cold one. Like God intended. 
That's funny. I actually do have one of those Butterball Turkey Fryers still in the box in the basement that my mom bought us about 4 years ago. I need to either toss it or give it away.

As for counter top air fryers, my niece convinced me to get one about a year ago. As mentioned before, I'm very hesitant about countertop appliances.

I like the air fryer, but I'm still torn. Haven't chunked it yet, but I'm considering. It really is great, but it depends on what you would be using it for. 

For frozen stuff and reheating stuff, it's awesome. Gonna get a little crispier than an oven in about half the time. But it depends on how much you eat that stuff. I don't much, but for somebody with kids, I could see it being fantastic. 

For most roasted veggies, I'm torn. Compared to regular oven, it's gonna get a little crispier. But in an air fryer, if you are using less oil (most of the time you are), you'll miss that oil. Oil imparts flavor and allows for things to get crispy without being dry. 

It's for that reason that an air fryer in no way will actually compete with deep frying. "Air frying" is misleading. It's small, convenient convection oven. Air frying is a nice marketing term, but misleading.

Hand cut fries are pretty good. Not nearly as good as double-fried or blanched/fried hand cut fries deep fried in oil, but really good for something you can get done in 30 minutes start to finish.

Far as fresh meats go, I've only tried chicken wings, thighs, and salmon. Not impressed on that front. I'll take a charcoal grill or deep-fryer any day of the week. But there are surely things I haven't tried. Chicken wings and thighs will get a really nice crisp on the skin. For every other factor, though, I'd prefer a different option.

An air fryer/tabletop convection oven is a nice tool. For some people, it's absolutely fantastic. I dig it, but it's not for everybody, especially if you place a premium on counter space. 

I only do jasmine but my formula is 1c rice, 1.25 water, bring to boil, lower to low, 11 min, take off for 10 min.  Comes out perfect every time.   Can't tell u the number of times i screwed up rice before finding this and writing it down on an index card.   It's like we just need to wing it to keep life interesting.  Same thing happened with hardboiling eggs and making a mess out of peeling them until I found the perfect formula.  
Not pimping the rice cooker, but just want to point out that you guys just posted wildly different recipes for perfect rice. He uses nearly 4x the amount of liquid as you. 

With rice, there are so many different factors involved. The rice, the seal on the cooking vessel, times, temps, and everything in between. I'm sure you could factor in humidity and elevation. 

If you got a perfect way to cook rice that you like, great. But for most everybody, if you want perfect rice every time, a rice cooker probably the way to go.

Nevermind, I am pimping rice cookers.

Not pimping the rice cooker, but just want to point out that you guys just posted wildly different recipes for perfect rice. He uses nearly 4x the amount of liquid as you. 

With rice, there are so many different factors involved. The rice, the seal on the cooking vessel, times, temps, and everything in between. I'm sure you could factor in humidity and elevation. 

If you got a perfect way to cook rice that you like, great. But for most everybody, if you want perfect rice every time, a rice cooker probably the way to go.

You make a good case and if I didn't already have my nutterbutter super simple perfect jasmine every single time rice recipe, I'd probably buy one.   Come to think of it, I might already own one.  

Thanks. This is mostly my experience too.

Mine is:

3 Quart Pot with lid

3 cups water

2 cups rice

1 TBS Olive oil

Boil water and oil

Add rice and bring to boil.

Cover with lid and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes 

Fluff and add kosher salt and 2 TBS butter

Makes about 6 cups rice.

Perfect and I have no idea how it could be better rice. So the Rice Cooker love fascinates me.

Also, can you share the hardboiled egg formula?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, can you share the hardboiled egg formula?
This has been a huge discovery for me as I love egg salad and hardboiled eggs in a general salad.  Anyone thats had trouble peeling hardboiled eggs knows how much of a mess that can be.   My formula is eggs in pot covered with inch of cold water, high heat to bring to boil, turn off heat and let sit in the water for 8 minutes (this will vary a bit depending on how u like your eggs), drain and immediately peel under cold water bc those puppies are hot.   I think the immediate peeling is the real key to have the shells come off effortlessly leaving an undisturbed exterior.  

Complete agree.  It’s the ease factor.  I’m usually busy cooking other items so the ease is huge.  

This has been a huge discovery for me as I love egg salad and hardboiled eggs in a general salad.  Anyone thats had trouble peeling hardboiled eggs knows how much of a mess that can be.   My formula is eggs in pot covered with inch of cold water, high heat to bring to boil, turn off heat and let sit in the water for 8 minutes (this will vary a bit depending on how u like your eggs), drain and immediately peel under cold water bc those puppies are hot.   I think the immediate peeling is the real key to have the shells come off effortlessly leaving an undisturbed exterior.  
I just make them like normal (I don't even really time it, wait for rolling boil then pull them a few minutes later), but then put them into a bowl covered with cold water and ice and put in the fridge overnight.  They peel in like 3 big pieces.

I cook the same wait but I immediately places eggs into cold water and let them sit. It helps separate the shell membrane

I cook the same wait but I immediately places eggs into cold water and let them sit. It helps separate the shell membrane
I've tried that as well as everything else and still have had troubles.   This never fails and really is the simplest though I admit that we're just splitting hairs as long as it works for you.   

Gonna need a mechanic's assistance playing McGuyver to clear e-check in a few months. Check engine light has been on for years, but it's due to rust around the gas cap. Why that triggers the check engine light, good question, to which I don't know nor really care. Just sucks knowing if an actual problem surfaces I won't know. Intended to replace this thing in October, but doesn't look like the car market will normalize until at least next year. I don't drive much (work 3 miles from home) nor do I dislike my car, but I'm sure I'd appreciate the upgrade. 
I'm no McGuyver, but steel wool can get the rust off around the gas cap and order a new cap from Amazon. Should work like a champ. Cars are designed now so that if the gas cap is not completely screwed in, the light comes on. Emissions.

I'm convinced that the people who never use the air fryer have never even tried it once.  I know a bunch of people that have an air fryer and legit have never even tried using it...just accustomed to the oven and kind of "forget" they have an air fryer.   Those that use it once or twice quickly see the benefits.
I tried mine once to cook a steak (it was allegedly very good at that, but 400 degrees is not enough). I was very disappointed and its been in the garage ever since.

Gonna need a mechanic's assistance playing McGuyver to clear e-check in a few months. Check engine light has been on for years, but it's due to rust around the gas cap. Why that triggers the check engine light, good question, to which I don't know nor really care. Just sucks knowing if an actual problem surfaces I won't know. Intended to replace this thing in October, but doesn't look like the car market will normalize until at least next year. I don't drive much (work 3 miles from home) nor do I dislike my car, but I'm sure I'd appreciate the upgrade. 
It's an enclosed system, so the pressure is off and/or emissions are bad. The computer knows the pressure is off. It's why if you don't tighten the gas cap the light comes on.  You could by a new cap or clean the rust off and try to repair the area with some steel tape or Bondo.   Not sure where your rust is.  That being said you can get an obd2 reader to clear the code.   It will come right back on if you don't fix the issue

I tried mine once to cook a steak (it was allegedly very good at that, but 400 degrees is not enough). I was very disappointed and its been in the garage ever since.
Steak seems like a tall order for first try.   Take it down a notch with chicken, salmon, french fries and reheating leftovers

offdee said:
Steak seems like a tall order for first try.   Take it down a notch with chicken, salmon, french fries and reheating leftovers
I'm very happy with my convection oven for that. I bought it because a wanted something that would cook a really good steak without firing up the grill.

belljr said:
It's an enclosed system, so the pressure is off and/or emissions are bad. The computer knows the pressure is off. It's why if you don't tighten the gas cap the light comes on.  You could by a new cap or clean the rust off and try to repair the area with some steel tape or Bondo.   Not sure where your rust is.  That being said you can get an obd2 reader to clear the code.   It will come right back on if you don't fix the issue
We experimented with a new cap, rust cleanup, and obd2 reader a few months ago. Light came back on 2 days later, so mechanic said come back for the obd2 reader then go straight to e check. The rust is the source of the problem and our mechanic is the best we know in the area, so if he can't solve it...

I'm late for the rice cooker debate but count me in for Team Cooker.  Sure you can make perfectly fine rice on the stovetop but a rice cooker saves a burner and is far better for keeping the rice warm.

My Japanese mother never cared for them though.

Even if the thing sucks in every other way, I'm sold on an air fryer for this reason right here.  I eat leftover pizza cold because there's no good way to reheat it without the crust turning to rubber or drying it out completely.  
I have a toaster oven/air fryer, too, but I use a cast iron skillet for leftover pizza. Tent it with foil and you get perfect everything.

Tell me more
Its just essentially power vents that you install in your ceiling that create a draft in your house. Thus when nightfall hits and the outside air cools down, they pull that air from the outside through open windows and displace the existing air in your house into the attic and out through your roof venting.  Its mostly just a night time way to cool your house without having to use AC.  It kind of feels like when you've been in a room by the beach with a door or window open and there's a nice breeze coming in.  I have mine located in each bedroom so that you have this cool air that being carried over your bed.  It actually gets pretty cold most nights.  It would be nice if each was controlled by a thermostat in each respective room but I haven't taken it that far.  You still need AC during the day as they rely on the outside air to be cool enough.  

Its just essentially power vents that you install in your ceiling that create a draft in your house. Thus when nightfall hits and the outside air cools down, they pull that air from the outside through open windows and displace the existing air in your house into the attic and out through your roof venting.  Its mostly just a night time way to cool your house without having to use AC.  It kind of feels like when you've been in a room by the beach with a door or window open and there's a nice breeze coming in.  I have mine located in each bedroom so that you have this cool air that being carried over your bed.  It actually gets pretty cold most nights.  It would be nice if each was controlled by a thermostat in each respective room but I haven't taken it that far.  You still need AC during the day as they rely on the outside air to be cool enough.  
Where are you? I got high last night and was curious and started watching some youtube videos on these things. One thing that stood out was if it humid outside, and you run this thing, even during the cool mornings and nights, the fan will suck in not just the cool air, but the moisture. Seems like dry desert climates these things would be killer

Where are you? I got high last night and was curious and started watching some youtube videos on these things. One thing that stood out was if it humid outside, and you run this thing, even during the cool mornings and nights, the fan will suck in not just the cool air, but the moisture. Seems like dry desert climates these things would be killer
New jersey so we get plenty of humidity.  As long as the air is cool its very comfortable.    There's only maybe a handful of nights where I need to run the ac at night but I run warm so might not even be necessary for your average person.  A lot comes down to how I have it configured for sleeping where that cool air is  coming across the bed while sleeping.  It wouldn't be as effective if I wasn't sleeping in the direct path of all that air.  It really does move a lot of air.  The fan itself which is located in the attic and attached to the vent in the ceiling via a few feet of flexible ductwork is roughly the size of a box fan.   Most nights, come the middle of the night, I'm bundled up under the blanket it gets that chilly.  

Whole house vents used to be really popular. I used to get a kick out of showing them off to prospective buyers when I was doing a home inspection on a house that had one. 

They’re nice but loud and if you have bad allergies they might not be all that great for you. 

Mister CIA said:
Spent the better part of my weekend reaaranging my kitchen.  Mission accomplished, and the microwave gets to stay.  I deserve a pat on the back

Air fryer order should arrive on Thursday - got this exact model:  https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61HSFAcZtsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

the only thing that is supposed to stay out on our countertops in our kitchen is the coffee maker and toaster ...we are guilty sometimes of leaving out the mixer or vitamix ...the mixer is heavy as hell and when we are on a morning veg-blend it's tough to want to drag it back and forth from the pantry

the only thing that is supposed to stay out on our countertops in our kitchen is the coffee maker and toaster ...we are guilty sometimes of leaving out the mixer or vitamix ...the mixer is heavy as hell and when we are on a morning veg-blend it's tough to want to drag it back and forth from the pantry
I cleared out a lot of counter-top space.  I culled an oversized cutting board and a  dual-burner griddle stacked on top of each other (plus random junk). Added space for my ol' trusty $70 Cuisinart food processor too.

Sidebar: I'm actively clearing out freezer space too and digging it.  I'm so seen in the latest Geico commercial.  "It's a freezer, not a time capsule." Gonna unleash some homemade, gifted vension sauasage and tamales very soon. But first, Mother's Day.

As a sidebar to the air fryer topic, we are on our second el-cheapo from Amazon.  

We use it daily, probably 2-3 times a day actually.  Always for my son's fries, who basically has them with every dinner.   Wife "fries" veggies a lot.  I love it for mozzarella sticks or these delicious mac n' cheese bites from Target.  Gets things that should be crispy perfectly crispy while heating the other parts of your food just perfectly.

Definitely glad my MIL's suggestion finally stuck.

I will also add.... and this was a decade ago....... an HDTV.  I was probably one of the last men on Earth to own one.  We actually still have it and it works just fine.

NutterButter said:

Each bedroom? Wow.

We actually run ours during the day quite a bit in the spring and fall, when otherwise the upstairs would be hot enough to need the A/C running.  

Each bedroom? Wow.

We actually run ours during the day quite a bit in the spring and fall, when otherwise the upstairs would be hot enough to need the A/C running.  
I could see that.  I have a ranch.  Install was fairly easy for me since the unit goes right up between the ceiling joists.   The only real work was running the electrical up into the attic. 

Users who are viewing this thread