What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things you've put off buying, finally bought, and are super-glad you finally bit... (1 Viewer)

I'm shuked we can't even all agree on how to boil a freaking egg.  Did Pepin not solve this for us decades ago?

I do them.in an instapot. Pile in as many as you want, add a.cup.of water, cook on high pressure for 4 min, let pressure natural release for 5 min, then manual release. I then crack each shell and cool in cold water.

Perfect every time and they peel like a dream.

A Ninja express chop pro for small batches of sauces, salsa, etc so I don't have to lug out the full size 20lb, 5 piece Cuisinart food processor. Best $20 purchase in a long time.

Bidet. Once you have one you'll hate using a toilet without one and having to clean yourself like a caveman. Best $30 purchase in a long time.

Gas powered leaf blower/vacuum. Screw brooms and rakes for yardwork.

Kamado grill. It replaced a gas grill and electric smoker. I use it 3-4 times a week grilling, smoking, making pizza...I use it more than my oven and stove.

A trick for air fryers: to help crisp things up a bit, give a little spritz of cooking spray (like PAM or a canola or avocado oil spray) to your food before air frying. I use ghee (clarified butter) since I always have some on hand. Plus it adds a little flavor.

A few folks have mentioned HVAC stuff which jogged my memory for something I haven't seen mentioned yet, which is dual zones for our HVAC system - one zone upstairs and one zone downstairs.  We struggled for year where one floor would be the right temp but the other floor would always be too hot or too cold.  With a second thermostat (wireless) and dual zones, both floors are always the correct temp now and they can be controlled independently too if needed.

Plus I'll upvote bidets and mesh Wi-Fi!

I'm shuked we can't even all agree on how to boil a freaking egg.  Did Pepin not solve this for us decades ago?

the moops said:
Thoroughly researched piece on the best way to hardboil an egg.

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs

Seems best way it to actually steam them.

But I go with the water boiling, drop eggs in for 11 minutes, toss into ice bath for at least 15 minutes, peel under running cold water.
Actually, I've found the best way to hard boil an egg... believe it or not... is in the air fryer.  🤯

french fry cutter. a 5 minute job is now 2 seconds.

What model did you get? There's a big price difference between different models.

Also, does cutting your own fresh potatoes produce a better result than throwing frozen packaged fries in the air fryer? I've done it both ways and I think the frozen ones generally come out better, but maybe it would help if the fries were cut more evenly...

Bidet is a good one. 100% agree. 
If anyone wants a very cheap solution to this, here's the bidet I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099DZMD9L/

It's not actually a bidet, but it's the same idea. Wiping with dry toilet paper is an inefficient way to clean anything. If you get dirt on your knee while gardening, you don't come in the house and rub it with a dry towel. You add some water to help get the dirt off. Same principle with wiping your bum. Those moist towelettes aren't a great option because they have all those weird chemicals. Dipping your toilet paper in water, though, works great.

So I got that little plate that I keep near the bathroom sink. On my way to the toilet, I add a little water to the plate from the faucet and then put the plate on the bathroom counter next to the toilet. Dip the toilet paper in the water before wiping. It's not as fancy as a bidet, but it's a big improvement over try toilet paper.

What model did you get? There's a big price difference between different models.

Also, does cutting your own fresh potatoes produce a better result than throwing frozen packaged fries in the air fryer? I've done it both ways and I think the frozen ones generally come out better, but maybe it would help if the fries were cut more evenly...
Geedel $30     

Frozen are still better. My guess is they have more oil. I only put 1/2 tbs on per potato.

My fries improved when using the cutter.

Last edited by a moderator:
We keep ours in a cabinet and bust it out when needed...we only use it a few times a month. 

We don't keep any appliances on our counters tho, not even a toaster or coffee maker. All out-of sight.
Do you drink coffee everyday?

If anyone wants a very cheap solution to this, here's the bidet I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099DZMD9L/

It's not actually a bidet, but it's the same idea. Wiping with dry toilet paper is an inefficient way to clean anything. If you get dirt on your knee while gardening, you don't come in the house and rub it with a dry towel. You add some water to help get the dirt off. Same principle with wiping your bum. Those moist towelettes aren't a great option because they have all those weird chemicals. Dipping your toilet paper in water, though, works great.

So I got that little plate that I keep near the bathroom sink. On my way to the toilet, I add a little water to the plate from the faucet and then put the plate on the bathroom counter next to the toilet. Dip the toilet paper in the water before wiping. It's not as fancy as a bidet, but it's a big improvement over try toilet paper.
Really?  For real?

1) A bidet is $30.

2) Dude Wipes (google it)

mr. furley said:
this percussive massage gun

been dealing with hip soreness & tight calves after running the last couple months. this thing has alleviated the soreness in relatively short order.

Picked up This one last year, it's an amazing little tool.

All Clad D5 stainless steel pans and really good knives (chef, paring, boning). So good. 

Funny but we had a great drunken conversation Derby week around bidets. All of us had used them on vacation in Hawaii. 2 couples bought one already and we’re about to

It may be more than most people need, but as I am regularly feeding more than just my own 3 kids, we got this 10 Qt. 2-Zone one from Costco
Decided to go to Costco with the wife yesterday.  Saw this for $40 off.  I am now the proud owner of one.  

Haven't used it but read the manual... smart finish looks convenient.  I'm not sure why the dual zone cooking takes so much longer, though, based on the manual times.  

If by project you mean spending $20k for closets in our house, then that's mine. Just paid 50% as the deposit but they won't be able to install the until August. Yikes. 

I mean it did take a lot of work to agree to whatever design my wife wanted for the master, guest bedroom, my sons room, the linen closet and the laundry room.

Almost 3 years after moving into our new house we will finally have real closets! 

Whole house vents used to be really popular. I used to get a kick out of showing them off to prospective buyers when I was doing a home inspection on a house that had one. 

They’re nice but loud and if you have bad allergies they might not be all that great for you. 
I had one in my house 40+ years ago. It was great at getting fresh air in the house. Also great at getting pollen and dirt everywhere.  Still, miss it on nice days. 

Caesar said:
Decided to go to Costco with the wife yesterday.  Saw this for $40 off.  I am now the proud owner of one.  

Haven't used it but read the manual... smart finish looks convenient.  I'm not sure why the dual zone cooking takes so much longer, though, based on the manual times.  
Yeah, not sure why the dual zone takes so much longer unless it takes longer for it to bring them up to temp vs cooking one side only. Smart finish is nice for sure.

this percussive massage gun

been dealing with hip soreness & tight calves after running the last couple months. this thing has alleviated the soreness in relatively short order.
These thing are fantastic especially the older you get.  Between this and a foam roller is a must to help get loose before any strenous activity.  

These thing are fantastic especially the older you get.  Between this and a foam roller is a must to help get loose before any strenous activity.  
ran 13.1 yesterday. in races past that has left my legs an unusable lump for at least 2-3 days. i mean, i can still function, but everything is very sore and i can't run for at least 3-4 days.

got home yesterday, soaked my feet in a cold kiddie pool and used the massage gun on my thighs and calves. today my legs are basically feeling normal, very little residual pain or ache at all.

should have bought one of these things years ago.

ran 13.1 yesterday. in races past that has left my legs an unusable lump for at least 2-3 days. i mean, i can still function, but everything is very sore and i can't run for at least 3-4 days.

got home yesterday, soaked my feet in a cold kiddie pool and used the massage gun on my thighs and calves. today my legs are basically feeling normal, very little residual pain or ache at all.

should have bought one of these things years ago.
I use mine before softball games as part of my stretching routine to get my 51 year old body as loose as it can be.  Also works great, like you mentioned, as a recovery tool.   Sleep wrong and get a kink in your neck it works great for that too.  Love it.

Yeah, not sure why the dual zone takes so much longer unless it takes longer for it to bring them up to temp vs cooking one side only. Smart finish is nice for sure.
It was your original post that put it on my radar, so to see it for that price made it a done deal.

So, thank you!

I got a french-fry cutter as recommended earlier in the thread.

That's a major improvement in my fry-making process, as is excluding any soaking. I just cut the potatoes into fries, smear them with olive oil, and throw them in the air fryer at 380 degrees. After about 13 minutes, I check in on them and reshuffle them every so often until they look done. Add salt toward the end, and maybe some slices of cheese on top with about two minutes to go.

They come out better for me without soaking the cut potatoes in water -- probably because I don't dry them well enough after soaking.

I got a french-fry cutter as recommended earlier in the thread.

That's a major improvement in my fry-making process, as is excluding any soaking. I just cut the potatoes into fries, smear them with olive oil, and throw them in the air fryer at 380 degrees. After about 13 minutes, I check in on them and reshuffle them every so often until they look done. Add salt toward the end, and maybe some slices of cheese on top with about two minutes to go.

They come out better for me without soaking the cut potatoes in water -- probably because I don't dry them well enough after soaking.
I didn't know you were a weed smoker. 

This is more a service, but...

Mosquito spraying.

Being able to go outside and not worry about getting bit while at home is amazing. Will never go without this service again. Going on 4+years now.
Great for your comfort but absolutely brutal for the environment as the spray kills skeeters and every other bug and bee it contacts.  

On the mosquito topic we have been using thermocell products for years. Keeps our deck completely mosquito free on summer evenings in central Indiana. I also use a portable one while deer hunting southern Georgia in September and would be destroyed without one. 

cannot recommend more highly 

https://www.thermacell.com/collections/home-page-collection

which one do you use? 

there is a ton of them (styles) on amazon too

which one do you use? 

there is a ton of them (styles) on amazon too
The original ones that run on butane and a small felt pad that’s comes presoaked on permethrin I believe. 

this is the new version of what we use when hunting or fishing.  https://www.thermacell.com/products/mr300-repeller  it works fine too if you’re sitting at a table for dinner etc  

we have a couple  of these that use the same butane and pads and work awesome while camping or hanging out drinking in the summer  https://www.thermacell.com/products/patio-shield-mosquito-repellent-lantern

Our friends in northern Michigan swear by them as well when bugs get bad up there. 

eta I’ve heard the rechargeable ones don’t work nearly as well. 

On the mosquito topic we have been using thermocell products for years. Keeps our deck completely mosquito free on summer evenings in central Indiana. I also use a portable one while deer hunting southern Georgia in September and would be destroyed without one. 

cannot recommend more highly 

https://www.thermacell.com/collections/home-page-collection
We live in a wooded area, I spray and use these if we will be out for longer periods of time.  I second these.....

Put more simply.

Most people that try meth think it's great. But the rice cooker is Walter White. 
I think this might be somewhere else in this thread, but I'm too lazy to find it. What's your recommendation for a rice cooker? Don't know anything about brand, size, features.

Even if the thing sucks in every other way, I'm sold on an air fryer for this reason right here.  I eat leftover pizza cold because there's no good way to reheat it without the crust turning to rubber or drying it out completely.  

Found a great way years ago.

Take the cold pizza and put in a stick free frying pan on low to medium heat, vent foil over the top for a few minutes until cheese melts.  Oil from pizza coats the pan and it still holds up like it came out of oven.  Takes a few minutes but well worth it as the microwave ruin pizza.

Users who are viewing this thread