What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

This year's most important/best value handcuff (1 Viewer)

Lord Lucan

Footballguy
Quite a few of us will have spent a mid-round pick on Chester Taylor as insurance for Peterson over the last couple of years, and given the price generally paid that turned out to be a wasted pick. In any event, there aren't many teams around the league with an undisputed full-time RB and a back-up who would promise to step into his shoes with quality production if the starter went down, whilst the it's even harder to enthuse about most of the back-ups to the elite QBS.

I do think, though that at their respective average draft positions at the moment, that drafting both Wes Welker and Julian Edelman is worthwhile in PPR leagues. Welker's concensus ADP in PPR is 46, Edelman's is 131. The worst-case scenario is probably that Welker hobbles through the season at much-reduced effectiveness and Edelman gets a fair bit more work in relief, making neither viable fantasy starters. However, surely more likely scenarios are that Welker comes back close to full effectiveness, in which case we have last year's number 2 WR in PPR for the price of a 4th round pick, or Welker suffers a recurrence of his injury, in which case Edelman, who had 27 receptions for 265 yards and 2 TDs in the four games Welker missed, pretty much takes his place in the slot and proves a perfectly serviceable fantasy starter (though clearly not as good). Bottom line; taking Welker's 13 regular season games and Edelman's three last season (effectively three anyway as Welker went down very early in week 17), the two combined for 144 receptions and 1569 yards, and I reckon the upside of taking Welker in the 4th and Edelman in the 11th far exceeds the downside.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, I scrambled to add Edelman in PPR dynasty leagues that I own welker in.

I think cuffing Vick to Kolb could have it rewards as well.

At the standard rb position I think S.Greene/LT and Tjones/Jamal would be worthwhile

If I could start:1. WR#12. DeAngelo3. WR#24. WR#35. StewartI'd be ecstatic.
Stewart's ADP is more like early 4th round, and the problem is, if you get the injury that would vault either to a top 5 overall pick, you lose either your 2nd or 4th round pick. In the Welker/Edelman scenario, I'm suggesting there's a strong chance of getting a top PPR WR for the price of a 4th- and 11th-round pick.

yep, I scrambled to add Edelman in PPR dynasty leagues that I own welker in. I think cuffing Vick to Kolb could have it rewards as well. At the standard rb position I think S.Greene/LT and Tjones/Jamal would be worthwhile
Like the Vick-Kolb cuff and LT S. Greene. I think the Welker/Edelman could be ok, but Tate is a promising No.3 and Hernandez could see a lot of opportunities that Welker would have seen at 100 percent health.

Stewart's ADP is more like early 4th round, and the problem is, if you get the injury that would vault either to a top 5 overall pick, you lose either your 2nd or 4th round pick. In the Welker/Edelman scenario, I'm suggesting there's a strong chance of getting a top PPR WR for the price of a 4th- and 11th-round pick.
i don't want the injury. i want to start them both.

Biggest handcuff for me this year is a cheaper Portis and LJ with Shannahan in town. Much like your thinking with Edleman and Welker.

So you want your 5th round pick (assuming Stewart falls that far) and your RB2 to be a wasted pick?In the 28 games Stewart has played when Williams was healthy, he had only 11 games with more than 10 FF points (standard FBG scoring). Why would you waste a 5th (actually a 4th to get Stewart) on a back that is that inconsistent?Edit to add-since this thread is about handcuffs, and you would draft Stewart with a high pick, with the goal of starting him, I don't think he would qualify.

while i don't see myself drafting benson or addai in redrafts, if i did i'd definitely be grabbing bernard scott or donald brown. hell, if available at a good price i'll probably grab one of them anyway.

Agreed that Edelman is an essential player to own if drafting Welker. But also believe that the "worst case" scenario of Welker/Edleman splitting time is a good probability given (a) Edeleman's emergence and (b) likelihood BB won't go full throttle on Welker until at least a good way into the season if at all.

IMO, the most important value handcuff is Willis McGahee (ADP RB49) to Ray Rice. Rice goes down you get 80%+ of the same productivity from someone who is already established as the man at the goal-line.

So you want your 5th round pick (assuming Stewart falls that far) and your RB2 to be a wasted pick?In the 28 games Stewart has played when Williams was healthy, he had only 11 games with more than 10 FF points (standard FBG scoring). Why would you waste a 5th (actually a 4th to get Stewart) on a back that is that inconsistent?
I said I'd be "ecstatic" to get him the 5th. I probably wouldn't reach in the 4th.Regardless, if I started both last year in the weeks where they both were active, and assuming I started RB30 (mid-range RB3) in the weeks that DeAngelo missed, I think I ended up with 397 RB points. I may have screwed something up there, but I don't think so.that's like having RB9 and RB10. I wouldn't call that a wasted pick. With the possibility of one going down, having an uber-stud, and pairing him with my RB30. And my WRs are the strength of my team.

yep, I scrambled to add Edelman in PPR dynasty leagues that I own welker in. I think cuffing Vick to Kolb could have it rewards as well. At the standard rb position I think S.Greene/LT and Tjones/Jamal would be worthwhile
Me too but having Welker and Edelman both on the field will be interesting.

Quite a few of us will have spent a mid-round pick on Chester Taylor as insurance for Peterson over the last couple of years, and given the price generally paid that turned out to be a wasted pick. In any event, there aren't many teams around the league with an undisputed full-time RB and a back-up who would promise to step into his shoes with quality production if the starter went down, whilst the it's even harder to enthuse about most of the back-ups to the elite QBS.I do think, though that at their respective average draft positions at the moment, that drafting both Wes Welker and Julian Edelman is worthwhile in PPR leagues. Welker's concensus ADP in PPR is 46, Edelman's is 131. The worst-case scenario is probably that Welker hobbles through the season at much-reduced effectiveness and Edelman gets a fair bit more work in relief, making neither viable fantasy starters. However, surely more likely scenarios are that Welker comes back close to full effectiveness, in which case we have last year's number 2 WR in PPR for the price of a 4th round pick, or Welker suffers a recurrence of his injury, in which case Edelman, who had 27 receptions for 265 yards and 2 TDs in the four games Welker missed, pretty much takes his place in the slot and proves a perfectly serviceable fantasy starter (though clearly not as good). Bottom line; taking Welker's 13 regular season games and Edelman's three last season (effectively three anyway as Welker went down very early in week 17), the two combined for 144 receptions and 1569 yards, and I reckon the upside of taking Welker in the 4th and Edelman in the 11th far exceeds the downside.
anyone else reading this post hearing an English accent in their head?Agree with this since Edelman can be had basically in the last round of your draft. However, the T Jones and LT handcuffs will be tough as there is likely at least one person in your league who beleives that each will outperform their RB1s.

Rice goes down you get 80%+ of the same productivity from someone who is already established as the man at the goal-line last year.
fixed
Do you have anything concrete to back this up?I can understand why they would trade McGahee if they're comfortable with Parmele but from all I've heard McGahee showed up to camp in great shape. Why would they change the effective approach they used last year (i.e. fix what isn't broken)?

Rice goes down you get 80%+ of the same productivity from someone who is already established as the man at the goal-line last year.
fixed
Do you have anything concrete to back this up?I can understand why they would trade McGahee if they're comfortable with Parmele but from all I've heard McGahee showed up to camp in great shape. Why would they change the effective approach they used last year (i.e. fix what isn't broken)?
i read somewhere here (sorry no link off hand) that he came into camp heavier... seems like he's embracing his role as a GL back.

fixed
i read somewhere here (sorry no link off hand) that he came into camp heavier... seems like he's embracing his role as a GL back.
Here is a link talking about him beefing up. No suggestion of his role changing, however.http://www.latimes.com/bs-sp-ravens-notebo...0,5892242.story

would have to agree with willis being the most important. if he does not get traded he would step right in and and give you rb1 type numbers. he still has it!!

Did that last year with both DeAngelo/Stewart and Ronnie/Ricky. Actually worked out pretty well, and frequently played both of a pair when matchups were good.

Did that last year with both DeAngelo/Stewart and Ronnie/Ricky. Actually worked out pretty well, and frequently played both of a pair when matchups were good.
DeAngelo and Stewart finished at around RB 14 and RB 16 in most leagues last year after a very successful season for both. The former is going at around RB 8 or 9 this year and Stewart at around RB 19, and unless you think they're going to surpass last year's combined rushing yardage of 2250 yards by a signficant amount or combine for far more than last year's 17 rushing TDs it's hard to see much upside picking and starting both.

I was shocked at how good Welker looked last night. Barring a setback - he will be the man again in PPR leagues.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
JohnnyU said:
Brandon Tate > Julian Edelman
different skill set and different opportunity/role. Unless Welker is hurt I dont see Edelman doign much. Tate = WR3. Edelman is a backup to Welker.
I'd still rather have Tate over Edelman regardless of the health of Welker.

At the standard rb position I think S.Greene/LT and Tjones/Jamal would be worthwhile
both of those seem like VERY expensive handcuffs, which pretty much makes them not realistic unless you want to "waste" a decent draft pick
I would have thought that also but in a salary/contract league I'm in the free agency class is very weak and I still got LT for almost nothing and TJ went for four times what LT did. It seems like most people this year feel LT is done and the only guys who value him is Greene owners.

So you want your 5th round pick (assuming Stewart falls that far) and your RB2 to be a wasted pick?

In the 28 games Stewart has played when Williams was healthy, he had only 11 games with more than 10 FF points (standard FBG scoring). Why would you waste a 5th (actually a 4th to get Stewart) on a back that is that inconsistent?
I said I'd be "ecstatic" to get him the 5th. I probably wouldn't reach in the 4th.Regardless, if I started both last year in the weeks where they both were active, and assuming I started RB30 (mid-range RB3) in the weeks that DeAngelo missed, I think I ended up with 397 RB points. I may have screwed something up there, but I don't think so.

that's like having RB9 and RB10. I wouldn't call that a wasted pick. With the possibility of one going down, having an uber-stud, and pairing him with my RB30. And my WRs are the strength of my team.
Not really. The #9 & #10 RB last year averaged 26.6 FF ppg (combined). The Williams/Stewart/RB30 concept you spoke of would have given you the equal of RB10 and RB11 production only 5 times. The other 11 games, you'd have been below the average. And since your 3rd RB was about RB30, it stands to reason your 4th RB was lower than that, and it is unlikely that they would have put up 26.6 FF points during Carolina's bye. So you're talking about "having like RB9 and RB10" for less than 30% of the time. By the time that Stewart was putting up his stud numbers after Williams got hurt, you were probably out of the playoffs, anyway.

Also, last year, you didn't have to spend a 4th round pick on Stewart. So while it still would have been a questionable strategy to rely on Stewart last year as your RB2, it wouldn't have cost you a 4th (or 5th if he slid) round pick.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
JohnnyU said:
Brandon Tate > Julian Edelman
different skill set and different opportunity/role. Unless Welker is hurt I dont see Edelman doign much. Tate = WR3. Edelman is a backup to Welker.
I'd still rather have Tate over Edelman regardless of the health of Welker.
depends on the league. In dynasty its obviously tate. In PPR a late round cuff to Welker of edelman makes sense and is getting cheaper with every draft.

Users who are viewing this thread