What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Rawls, RB, CMU/Seahawks (2 Viewers)

I tried and failed to quote both jmo87usc and SameSongNDance, but that's what I meant to do

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, his enthusiasm is palpable. 
This is so true, and probably one reason why the Seattle coaching staff have always spoken highly of him. The guy really embodies that Pete Carroll eternal enthusiasm/optimism persona. Watching one of his pressers, you can easily see why Carroll is such a big fan of the guy.

And I can also see how his lineman would get fired up to block for him. Although, anything is an upgrade from CMike constantly running into their backs and tripping over himself.

That was a close call. His first run after halftime and he lost 3 yards to be under the 100 threshold, then it felt forever until he got that back. 

The weather has flurries in the forecast so the Seahawks will 'likely' be leaning on the ground game more.

Rawls started breaking out last week and this week he faces the Pack whose linebacking corps are all ailing.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/preview?gameId=400874651

... Injuries will be a major storyline for the Packers, too. Starting outside linebacker Nick Perry, the team's leader with eight sacks, has been ruled out with an injured left hand.

Fellow starter Clay Matthews, to use McCarthy's words, was "extremely limited" against the Texans with an injured shoulder. Starting inside linebackers Jake Ryan (ankle), who returned last week from a two-game absence, and Blake Martinez (knee), who has missed the past two games, are ailing, too.

With, Perry, Mathews, Ryan, and Martinez all gimpy, and facing a bruising runner with fresh legs like Rawls, you have to think they won't be moving as fluidily as they normally would so the defensive 'fits' won't be very tight.

This matchup has potential to be a nice game for Thomas Rawls.

The weather has flurries in the forecast so the Seahawks will 'likely' be leaning on the ground game more.

I have Rawls in over Hopkins as a flex in a .5 ppr. The weather adds fuel to that decision IMO.

Rawls started breaking out last week and this week he faces the Pack whose linebacking corps are all ailing.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/preview?gameId=400874651

With, Perry, Mathews, Ryan, and Martinez all gimpy, and facing a bruising runner with fresh legs like Rawls, you have to think they won't be moving as fluidily as they normally would so the defensive 'fits' won't be very tight.

Flurries aren't going to sway me away away from starting him. What is swaying me is the GB pass defense has been horrible. Looking at the matchup, even though Seahawks are a run first team, I could see them pass with success in this game. The GB run defense has been pretty good all year. Even with some injuries they're working through, I'm having a hard time trusting the matchup. As of now I'm rolling with Howard over Rawls in the Flex

i was talking about this in another thread, but if Rawls plays like this the rest of the way...why wouldn't he be a deserving 1st-round pick next year?  stud RBs are scarcer than ever, he has a lot of similarities to Lynch in the way he plays, he'd have more of a track record than David Johnson did this year - not really seeing the major downside.  injuries, sure, but that's every RB.

So given the concussion scare for our boy and his violent running style, are owners cuffing him at this point?

And is Pope the guy? It looked like it last week. Or does this have the potential to be a split Pope/Farmer mess? Pope didn't do much with the touches, but depending on how offense keeps clicking he could have nice value. Thoughts?

Flurries aren't going to sway me away away from starting him. What is swaying me is the GB pass defense has been horrible. Looking at the matchup, even though Seahawks are a run first team, I could see them pass with success in this game. The GB run defense has been pretty good all year. Even with some injuries they're working through, I'm having a hard time trusting the matchup. As of now I'm rolling with Howard over Rawls in the Flex
All year? 

DeMarco torched them. 

So given the concussion scare for our boy and his violent running style, are owners cuffing him at this point?

And is Pope the guy? It looked like it last week. Or does this have the potential to be a split Pope/Farmer mess? Pope didn't do much with the touches, but depending on how offense keeps clicking he could have nice value. Thoughts?
I would also like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Schedule for playoffs for Rawls isn't good.  Only reason I'd be starting him is BC HE is good and Seattle loves him. And seattles offense is sort of peaking.  Minus week 12.  

If Rawls went down I don't think I'd want to start pope.   So no need to carry him on my roster.  

Fairly certain he was signed back to the practice squad after being released again. 
I was on my phone when I posted, so I kept it short and sweet. He was resigned on the 8th. Farmer is definitely not the handcuff to Rawls. Pope has such a small sample size, I am not sure he is worth picking up in any leagues, and Collins is garbage. (My 2 cents)  

I was on my phone when I posted, so I kept it short and sweet. He was resigned on the 8th. Farmer is definitely not the handcuff to Rawls. Pope has such a small sample size, I am not sure he is worth picking up in any leagues, and Collins is garbage. (My 2 cents)  
Agreed. If pressed I would tab Pope as the current backup. Lots of Seattle fans rejoicing that Pope getting a small window of opportunity. He was the darling of the pre-season. I expect him to get some third down play this week or perhaps a series or two to spell Rawls. 

Yep...Thomas Rawls is not a three down back, at least not in this offense with the current OC. 12-67 and 1 reception for another 7.  It seems almost criminal that Alex Collins finishes this game with 10 touches...in fact both back-up and 3rd down backs contributed to the turnover fest we witnessed today, Collins with his late fumble and Pope not securing a high screen pass attempt that ended in interception.

If you look at this game (vs GB) as a whole...the ONLY thing that wasn't a complete train wreck was Thomas Rawls.  I understand that teams need more than one guy at the RB position, but I get the impression that Bevell is 'creating' ways to keep his most dangerous RB on the bench in critical situations.  It may not be his strength...but is Rawls so inept at receiving the ball that he has to come out of the game on 3rd down?  Is he incapable of running plays in a two minute drill?  I thought he was once again heavily under-utilized today, especially considering how everything else deteriorated after the initial drive.

Perhaps Seattle is 'saving' him for the upcoming divisional contests...but if that was truly the case, then why was Russell Wilson in the game up until the 2 minute warning...

Per usual, the home/away splits for this team are dumb. Just as they bounced back from their trouncing at TB I'm expecting them to bounce back at home vs. LA this week. STL did have their number last year, but I don't expect Goff to be able to handle the 12th man. 

He'll likely be ranked as a low-end RB1 for TNF and rightfully so. 

Per usual, the home/away splits for this team are dumb. Just as they bounced back from their trouncing at TB I'm expecting them to bounce back at home vs. LA this week. STL did have their number last year, but I don't expect Goff to be able to handle the 12th man. 

Agreed.  Frustrating day for those of us who started him, but I'm still starting him with confidence the rest of the way.  As it's already been mentioned, game script killed him today, Rawls himself was fine.  He was well on his way to going over 100 yards had he not been completely written out of the game by the huge deficit. 

As it's already been mentioned, game script killed him today, Rawls himself was fine.  He was well on his way to going over 100 yards had he not been completely written out of the game by the huge deficit. 
This was/is my point of frustration, not just with regard to fantasy football, but for the success of the Seahawks moving forward.  If Rawls is healthy, which he appeared to be throughout the game last night, then why was he not on the field taking snaps in the final 1 1/2 quarters?  Everybody, including the coaching staff, keep saying the same thing, 'game script took him out of the game', or 'games script limited his opportunity', yet while he was sitting on the bench, Collins and Pope were given the rock a combined 8 times on the ground with Collins corralling another 3 catches.

In 2 1/2 quarters of football Thomas Rawls carried 12 times for 67 yards.  In the final 1 1/2 quarters of football other RBs of the Seahawks carried a combined 8 times for 35 yards and caught 3 passes for another 33 yards.  Do those numbers substantiate a game script that moved away from the running game or use of the running back?  Hardly, the coaching staff, for whatever reason, just moved away from using Thomas Rawls.

Rawls really wasn't bad.  Wilson threw 5 picks so that took the ball out of the hands of the offense 5 times which also took away any chance of Rawls possibly getting a score on 5 offensive series.  

Five picks is the worst of Russell Wilson's career so I doubt it happens again soon.  Five picks is a rare occurrence for any QB so if we were able to look up every time a QB threw 5 picks and saw how a stat like that impacts a RB, I would guess that it historically is worse that the 74 combined yards that Rawls produced yesterday.

In 2 1/2 quarters of football Thomas Rawls carried 12 times for 67 yards.  In the final 1 1/2 quarters of football other RBs of the Seahawks carried a combined 8 times for 35 yards and caught 3 passes for another 33 yards.  Do those numbers substantiate a game script that moved away from the running game or use of the running back?  Hardly, the coaching staff, for whatever reason, just moved away from using Thomas Rawls.
They probably thought the game was over at that point and wanted to make sure Rawls (who is frequently injured) was healthy for the next three games -which if they win those they likely get a 2 seed in the playoffs.  The decision obviously didn't help his owners from a fantasy standpoint but I am sure the team wanted to make sure he remained healthy and ready to go next game (which is a short week given that it's a Thursday night game). 

They probably thought the game was over at that point and wanted to make sure Rawls (who is frequently injured) was healthy for the next three games -which if they win those they likely get a 2 seed in the playoffs.  The decision obviously didn't help his owners from a fantasy standpoint but I am sure the team wanted to make sure he remained healthy and ready to go next game (which is a short week given that it's a Thursday night game). 
yep. seems pretty logical to me.

The decision obviously didn't help his owners from a fantasy standpoint but I am sure the team wanted to make sure he remained healthy and ready to go next game (which is a short week given that it's a Thursday night game).
I get the whole preservation thing...but using that logic, why have Wilson play until the 2 minute warning?  He was being harassed and hit most of the game.  

Apparently the coaching staff was willing to risk their franchise QB down 28-3, I assume because they felt they could still mount a comeback.  But on a night where he and his receivers were having difficulty just completing passes, and Rawls was about the only thing going right, I found it a little odd that he (Rawls) was the single starter that saw the bench early.

If Rawls got dinged earlier...I'd completely understand, but in the post game presser, the only injury the HC acknowledged was the Pope ankle injury.

Because Rawls is more susceptible to injury than Wilson?  Wilson has never missed a game due to injury.  Meanwhile Rawls got hurt and was lost for the season in week 14 last year and got injured again early this season. He doesn't have a running style that avoids contact so I am sure they were more worried about him getting injured in a game they were going to lose than Wilson, particularly when they don't have any other quality RBs behind him for the stretch run.  Plus why get Rawls more touches in a meaningless game when they may try to run him into the ground at home against LA during a short week.  At least that is my speculation for the distinction.   

Because Rawls is more susceptible to injury than Wilson?  Wilson has never missed a game due to injury.  Meanwhile Rawls got hurt and was lost for the season in week 14 last year and got injured again early this season. He doesn't have a running style that avoids contact so I am sure they were more worried about him getting injured in a game they were going to lose than Wilson, particularly when they don't have any other quality RBs behind him for the stretch run.  Plus why get Rawls more touches in a meaningless game when they may try to run him into the ground at home against LA during a short week.  At least that is my speculation for the distinction.   
Good point about the short week; hadn't thought about that -- It still seemed early in the game to me -but from a fantasy perspective, if I'm still alive after tonights game, I'm good with it -- 

Wilson has never missed a game due to injury.
This may be true, but he is only just 'fully' recovered from injuries that have hampered his play since injuring his ankle and knee earlier in the year.  If the game was deemed lost, he should have been on the bench a lot sooner than the 2 minute warning.

Look...I get it, Rawls takes a lot of punishment and delivers his fair share as well.  With a short week, divisional matchups and playoffs looming, having him take an early seat in a blowout isn't necessarily a bad idea, just found it a little confusing that he was the only one, especially since he was the only one clicking.

Here's hoping for extended injury-free use of Rawls over the remaining three weeks of the season and playoffs.

As we first witnessed in the TB game, even with Prosise gone, Rawls is not the back SEA uses in the hurry up (something called George Farmer is). So he is very much game flow dependent. Luckily, there's only two games left (as far as fantasy is concerned), both of which are at home against rather weak opponents (although they are divisional games). Still, I'm sure Vegas is going to agree with me and favor SEA rather heavily vs. LA (just checked, they're -14 lol) this week and vs. ARI next week.

It's odd, I'm not so much concerned with the match-ups here as I am with as to whether or not we get the 12th man advantage. Don't get me wrong, if I had to choose I wouldn't want Rawls playing vs. ARI specifically but again this team's home/away splits are dumb. They've only lost two home games in the last two seasons, ironically they were vs. LA and ARI..  but that was last year when Palmer wasn't gifting his opponents the ball.

What's up with the low Week 15 ranking ?   right now, FBG shows Rawls as RB#21  :loco:

I thought with SEA playing at Home, and playing LA on a quick turnaround week for the TNF game, and along with the Fisher firing that would bode well for Rawls' ranking.....but What gives?....what am I missing?

What's up with the low Week 15 ranking ?   right now, FBG shows Rawls as RB#21  :loco:

I thought with SEA playing at Home, and playing LA on a quick turnaround week for the TNF game, and along with the Fisher firing that would bode well for Rawls' ranking.....but What gives?....what am I missing?

It's an Excel spreadsheet. Garbage in = garbage out.

Look at the projected points... now add a TD to Rawls total... and take a TD away from half of the RBs ranked ahead of him... now how is he looking? There you go.

And this is equally as likely to happen as it is not.

How many rankings showed a 50-burger for Bell last week? That's the one I would pay attention to.

Wondering the same thing. Harris has him ranked #7. I am starting him everywhere. I just don't see how he can't do well at home against the Lambs on a short week. 

I assume it's because he didn't put up a lot of points last week. Just like the upgrade/downgrade report and waiver wire. It's a mirror image of what transpired the previous week. 

The Rams defense has been torn apart recently. Rawls was running effectively against a Packers run D that has been stingy at times this year. He certainly has the potential to produce this week. On top of that, after Wilson threw all those INTs, do you think they're going to pull the reigns in a little bit and refocus on the rushing attack to limit something like that from happening again? I can see that scenario happening. 

Perhaps the projections are based on how the Rams have played the Seahawks very tough over the past few years. Regardless of how bad the Rams end up being, these games are usually physical and Rams have beat them several times. So they may see this as a physical, low scoring type of game. If that's the case, they're either expecting Rawls to get bottled up or for there to be a lot of 3 & outs.

I know I'm rolling with Rawls this week over Jordan Howard and Riddick in PPR. The upside of this is that if he doesn't do well, it can give you some time to maybe swing for the fences with a guy on the bubble for you at another position. I went with the same approach last week and started Amari (I don't think anyone expected that kind of showing). Didn't change my roster after the game, but probably would have if I had higher ceiling guys on my bench.

I am totally confident starting Rawls for home games.  Road games is a much different story.  Seattle is just a much different (and better) team when playing at home this season and Rawls benefits from that.  

Wasn't crazy with a lot of the rankings this week to be honest, Rivers was way low as well, I think his matchup is great, now they got me wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread