What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on McVay (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
He sells the Rams future for the ring and now I believe he is devoid of draft picks, is in cap hell and his team is without depth. So, he’s looking to run away from a rebuild. He will go to TV until another team courts him and has draft picks for him to trade away their future.

I think it is a bad look, but hey, he bought the Rams a SB, that I'm sure they don't regret buying. But yeah, does kind of seem like taking the easy way out doesn't it?

He sells the Rams future for the ring and now I believe he is devoid of draft picks, is in cap hell and his team is without depth. So, he’s looking to run away from a rebuild. He will go to TV until another team courts him and has draft picks for him to trade away their future.
Sean Payton vol.2?

I mean, its kind of crummy, but at the same time, championship banner fly forever. The interesting thing to me, is if say, Tampa doesn't completely forget about Kupp on a deep ball with 30 seconds left, or Cincy doesn't stupidly run their defense that matches Kupp up with Logan Wilson, or Tartt (I Think) doesn't drop the world's easiest interception, anything that could have easily gone the other way, the narrative is what a stupid decision trading all these picks were, especially the Stafford one, and this strategy of going all-in was a massive failure.

I like McVay, I think he's a great HC, and I'm not even sure a rebuild would be the right call at this point, assuming Stafford/Donald don't retire. But, like Payton, I'd be a little nervous about bringing in a guy who cut and run in the future, which on a side note, is one of the reasons I think any team who actually trades a 1st for Payton is being foolish.

Sean Payton vol.2?

I mean, its kind of crummy, but at the same time, championship banner fly forever. The interesting thing to me, is if say, Tampa doesn't completely forget about Kupp on a deep ball with 30 seconds left, or Cincy doesn't stupidly run their defense that matches Kupp up with Logan Wilson, or Tartt (I Think) doesn't drop the world's easiest interception, anything that could have easily gone the other way, the narrative is what a stupid decision trading all these picks were, especially the Stafford one, and this strategy of going all-in was a massive failure.

I like McVay, I think he's a great HC, and I'm not even sure a rebuild would be the right call at this point, assuming Stafford/Donald don't retire. But, like Payton, I'd be a little nervous about bringing in a guy who cut and run in the future, which on a side note, is one of the reasons I think any team who actually trades a 1st for Payton is being foolish.
True, but prob more than 1/2 of Super Bowls are like that. That's the way the ball bounces (or in some cases the way the ref blows their whistle).

Sean Payton vol.2?

Except Payton just walked. Is their some benefit to airing out his angst publicly? Was he in Marrakesh when Favre was going through his annual struggle with whether to retire?

You want a year or three away then go ahead and do it. What's with all the drama?

You asked for thoughts but this sums it up.

I was saying something about this in the Steelers thread a few days ago along the lines seeing what the 2 Seans' are pulling, and knowing they'll be in high demand when they want to coach, that Steeler's fan should maybe appreciate a coach who does not have losing seasons or run when the going gets tough.

FWIW I think McVay blows away Sean Payton as a coach. And if I was going to make excuses for him he does look exhausted and he did flirt with leaving last year before everything went south. Have also heard some people try to say most of his wife's family is still in Ukraine and that's part of the toll being taken on him but I'm don't know about all of that.

Not a fan of this new trend but he's still so young and has options so who I am to judge how he wants to live his life and pursue different options. But it does increase my level of respect for the Tomlin's of the world who stick it out.

Last edited:
Sean Payton vol.2?

Still have nightmares thinking about Tartt dropping as you accurately descripe as the "world's easiest interception". Just a horrible throw that should have given the 49ers the game.

History changing drop

The guys has also lost almost every assistant coach he's ever worked with. That's gotta suck having to retool every season with new guys while the old guys are scheming against you. At 36 he has one Super Bowl win, one more Super Bowl loss and a whole lot of options to do other things. How many people alive or dead can say that? The NFL is better with him than without and if the guy wants to take a sabbatical to refresh, so what? He's certainly earned it.

The NFL is better with him than without and if the guy wants to take a sabbatical to refresh, so what? He's certainly earned it.

I really, really get this point, especially given that he's constantly losing staff (which means losing confidantes and friends, too) but something about cutting and running from this cap hell doesn't seem like old-time hockey to me.

Toe Blake! Eddie Shore!

In all seriousness, it just feels off, I guess. I don't know how I can judge him, but there's a certain standard of long-standing greatness and achievement to be considered great, and I'm not sure he's hit that yet.

But L.A. football isn't built for that in general.

Oooh! Did I just say that?

Yes, I did.

He’s not the GM, he didn’t make all those trades. Of course he has a major say in them but ultimately Les Snead and ownership were making the deals. We don’t know how much McVay agreed or disagreed with any of those moves.

I smell jealousy
Won a Super Bowl less than 12 months ago

-McVay is resetting the coaching market, he'll double his salary jumping into the TV Booth for a couple seasons
-Coaches can be paid a lot if an owner wants to dip into their own pockets, someone will give McVay a fortune like the Raiders did for Gruden

McVay went to 2 Super Bowls in 3-4 years and won a Lombardi Trophy.

Ii feels narrow minded to say "running away" although I am on your side in one sense and I wrote it already. I don't like hearing about a 35 year old that needs to walk away from the game or take some time off, if you want to jump into the booth or take the money you've already made and go raise a family, everyone is entitled to try and pursue what makes them happy.

The NFL is better with him than without and if the guy wants to take a sabbatical to refresh, so what? He's certainly earned it.

I really, really get this point, especially given that he's constantly losing staff (which means losing confidantes and friends, too) but something about cutting and running from this cap hell doesn't seem like old-time hockey to me.

Toe Blake! Eddie Shore!

In all seriousness, it just feels off, I guess. I don't know how I can judge him, but there's a certain standard of long-standing greatness and achievement to be considered great, and I'm not sure he's hit that yet.

Yes, I did.

Good post...part of being a good long-term HC is losing staff because that is a simple part of the equation of who gets hired/promoted in the NFL...like any good organization in any business part of being successful is having the next man up as others poach your team...it is also learning how to win now while having one eye towards the future...BB has done a very good job withstanding this the past 20+ years and it was no fluke that the Pats being subpar this year coincided with BB putting together a bad staff...if McVay leaves due to the **** Vermeil burnout factor and takes 3-4 years off I don't think anyone will or should have a gripe...but if he leaves now (and the reality is the check is now due for the Rams win now methods) and simply goes to a better situation in one year it would not be a great look.

McVay is a millenial. What are they best known for? Job hopping...

I'm one too, and I'm guilty of it. The allure of more money, easier work, new atmosphere, new environment, any of 50 different things catch our attention and the grass looks greener. Especially if you're a 37 yr old football coach who's already won a title and you're staring at no cap space, no picks, aging QB....that grass must be looking pretty brown right now...

Selfishly speaking, I'd love to hear him in the booth as a color guy. His personality is infectious and I think he'd be every bit as good as Tony Romo with the energy and the play calling predictions. He's already on the commercial circuit with Chunky Soup, so it just seems like a natural fit for him. Burn out is real. John Madden burned out early and retired at 43 giving us football fans one of the greatest voices and personalities to ever grace the game.

If you're a Rams fan - and really, are there ANY of those - I can understand being upset if McVay leaves. But for the rest of us, this could be a boon to our viewing experience.

I'd just like to add two things if he walks away(which I assume and have for a few weeks now he will):

1. I'd take him over any coach in the world to run my team when he wants to return.

2. When he returns I think the Rams will get multiple 1's for him. That is unless he away from the game for so long concerns the game has passed him by or questions about putting a staff together exist. I don't think this will be the case. I'm anticipating a 1-2 year refresh.

Have you guys seen his wife? I think I'd try to be home more too.

But really, while I would be a bit perturbed if I were a rams fan, I couldn't really blame him for for not wanting to coach every year when he can make less, but still millions for a lot less time in a booth. Coaching is a huge time commitment for almost the entire year, and I'm sure it's a drag on everyone in that industry.

Plus I wouldn't have much sympathy for Kroenke and the Rams after how they left St. Louis. No one there should be expected to be loyal any more than they are contractually obligated to be.

Obviously he's well within his rights to walk away. He has many millions in the bank and the ability to make a whole lot more (with none of the stress) on the broadcasting side.

Does it smell a little like "things got hard and we don't have any draft picks" ? Sure. But I don't know how the family stuff is affecting his mental state. And can't totally blame him if he just wants to spend time with the kids.

To me, it's not so much about leaving....but how he comes back (if he does). If he comes back in 2 years to take a job with a hot young qb in place....he'll look like a bit of a front runner for sure.....like he ran from the challenge. But if that happens, the rams will ask to be handsomely compensated (multiple high picks)......and they should be.

That's pretty much how I see it. On the surface it seems pretty weak.

I was actually thinking of this the other day when someone mentioned Kingsbury's girlfriend, which led me to google her, that McVay and Kliff might have two the two most attractive wife/GF as any head coach in the league and despite both being on the younger end of the spectrum not sure any other head coaches looked more dog tired all year then these two.

But really, while I would be a bit perturbed if I were a rams fan, I couldn't really blame him for for not wanting to coach every year when he can make less, but still millions for a lot less time in a booth. Coaching is a huge time commitment for almost the entire year, and I'm sure it's a drag on everyone in that industry.

Plus I wouldn't have much sympathy for Kroenke and the Rams after how they left St. Louis. No one there should be expected to be loyal any more than they are contractually obligated to be.

Bingo. Kroenke isn't owed a lick of loyalty.

Selfishly speaking, I'd love to hear him in the booth as a color guy. His personality is infectious and I think he'd be every bit as good as Tony Romo with the energy and the play calling predictions. He's already on the commercial circuit with Chunky Soup, so it just seems like a natural fit for him. Burn out is real. John Madden burned out early and retired at 43 giving us football fans one of the greatest voices and personalities to ever grace the game.

If you're a Rams fan - and really, are there ANY of those - I can understand being upset if McVay leaves. But for the rest of us, this could be a boon to our viewing experience.
I live in the LA market. I can’t stand listening to him. He says nothing of substance. He’s the anti Tomlin. He’s more cris collingsworth than anyone. 🤮

I live in the LA market. I can’t stand listening to him. He says nothing of substance. He’s the anti Tomlin. He’s more cris collingsworth than anyone. 🤮

Well, I like Chris Collinsworth too, so.... :shrug:

My thoughts are good for him. Got rich and hit the peak of his profession by age 40. The Rams are a multi-billion dollar organization, they’ll either figure out the mess or they won’t. Not his problem.
I'll agree with that if he goes to the booth and stays there

If he goes to the booth for a year and then takes a job coaching an up and coming team, that would be really weak. Would show he was dumping a bad situation after selling their soul for a chance at a super bowl ring. He wasn't the GM but had to be a big part of the decisions to "win now".

Edit to add, basically agree with Johnny U after seeing his post

Maybe it'll get better if he's in a booth and not a coach, but he's the coach-speakiest coach-speaker that ever coach-spoke, I gotta agree with my man @DA RAIDERS on that one.

Toe Blake! Eddie Shore!

Yes, I did.
The Storied Coaches of Old never had to worry about this because there was no salary cap (or free agency) and thus no "cap hell."

(FantasyPros) According to ESPN's Diana Russini, members of the Los Angeles Rams organization have been informed by Sean McVay that he intends to stay with the team. Analysis: McVay, who had mulled retirement, has decided he will stay with the team for 2023. The Rams will undergo staffing changes as assistants have left for new roles, but McVay will stay through the process. McVay is under contract for multiple years with the Rams and is just 36 years old.

How the 2023 Rams helped Sean McVay rediscover his way
What a fantastic bump.

I really enjoyed that Randy Mueller article that was linked.
Nothing compares old school to millennials like 36-year-old McVay wanting to pack it in after going 5-12 the year after winning a Super Bowl, yet 71-year-old Bill Belichick with all of his Super Bowls, embraces the challenge of rebuilding the Patriots.
Oh my gawd, that's amazing. Randy Mueller, ladies and gentlemen.

Users who are viewing this thread