What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** THURSDAY CUT THREAD *** (1 Viewer)

Philly should sign Mike Anderson as soon as free agency starts. He is exactly the kind of back they need to go with Westbrook. He's good between the tackles, has a nose for the end zone, blocks well, and he can also catch out of the backfield. He is not an all start at any of these things but the fact that he is good at them makes him the perfect partner for Westy.
:goodposting: (Also, it was a scenario I hadn't thought of.)
I would think alot of teams would want the former Marine that can play FB or RB. In your scenario, who is gone? Gordon? Mahe? Tapeh?(might be already, guesses)
If the Eagles bring in a second back to compliment Westy, Moats becomes the 3rd back (behind Westy - similar style) leaving 1-2 slots open. Mahe is a good special teamer so he's a good candidate for the 4. 5 is open, but Gordon is aging rapidly.

Philly should sign Mike Anderson as soon as free agency starts.  He is exactly the kind of back they need to go with Westbrook.  He's good between the tackles, has a nose for the end zone, blocks well, and he can also catch out of the backfield.  He is not an all start at any of these things but the fact that he is good at them makes him the perfect partner for Westy.
I would think alot of teams would want the former Marine that can play FB or RB. In your scenario, who is gone? Gordon? Mahe? Tapeh?(might be already, guesses)
If the Eagles bring in a second back to compliment Westy, Moats becomes the 3rd back (behind Westy - similar style) leaving 1-2 slots open. Mahe is a good special teamer so he's a good candidate for the 4. 5 is open, but Gordon is aging rapidly.
Gordon and/or Buckhalter. Anderson would take their role.

Philly should sign Mike Anderson as soon as free agency starts.  He is exactly the kind of back they need to go with Westbrook.  He's good between the tackles, has a nose for the end zone, blocks well, and he can also catch out of the backfield.  He is not an all start at any of these things but the fact that he is good at them makes him the perfect partner for Westy.
5 RBs? Not sure if that's wise or "possible". I think they could if some were eligible for the practice squad but I don't think they are.I thought Reid was on of those that uses his last roster spots for DL depth maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.

ESPN just reported Mike Vick had some move that opened up $5m in cap space, and LeRoi Glover will be cut by Dallas ...

Cut and paste from Falcons MB:

ATLANTA -- As anticipated, the Atlanta Falcons have guaranteed a $7 million March roster bonus due quarterback Michael Vick, a move that creates about $5.25 million in additional cap space, and which will help the club squeeze under the NFL's spending limit of $94.5 million by the Thursday night deadline.

Michael Vick

Quarterback

Atlanta Falcons

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat

387 214 2211 15 13 73.1

The contract extension signed by Vick in December 2004 provided the Falcons the right to make the move, which essentially turns the roster bonus into a signing bonus. Most important to the Falcons, it means that the team can prorate the $7 million bonus over four years and reduce its impact on the 2006 cap.

Atlanta performed a similar maneuver last spring with Vick on a $22.5 million roster bonus.

The bookkeeping transaction has no impact on Vick, since he would have received the $7 million whether it was treated as a roster bonus or as a signing bonus. The five-year veteran and Pro Bowl performer is due to earn a 2006 base salary of $1.4 million.

Vick, 25, signed what amounted to a 10-year, $130 million contract, which runs through 2014, late in the 2004 season. But the final season of the contract has already been voided, making the contract a nine-year deal worth approximately $118 million. The contract, which included an initial signing bonus of $7.5 million, features $37 million in guarantees.

Included in those guarantees was the $7 million roster bonus Vick will collect this month.

Even with the additional cap space created by the maneuver with Vick's contract, the Falcons are tight against the cap and will need to make another move or two to be in compliance with the spending limit when the new league years begins Friday at 12:01 a.m. The club has already restructured the contract of tight end Eric Beverly and could rework the deals of other veterans, such as Pro Bowl linebacker Keith Brooking, although that has not yet occurred.

ESPN.com has confirmed that the Falcons on Thursday will release 10-year veteran defensive end Brady Smith, which will save $2.5 million against the salary cap. Smith, 32, was limited to a career-low five appearances in 2005 because of injuries. He underwent neck surgery in July, which forced him to miss training camp and then, after returning sooner than expected, suffered a foot injury that ended his year.

If Gordon is aging '25 Lamar Gordon

Position: RB

Height: 6-1

Weight: 223

Born: 01/07/1980

College: North Dakota State

NFL Experience: 4

then I would hate to see what Anderson already is. I think he was older than Gordon is now when he started in the NFL.

Cut and paste from Falcons MB:

ATLANTA -- As anticipated, the Atlanta Falcons have guaranteed a $7 million March roster bonus due quarterback Michael Vick, a move that creates about $5.25 million in additional cap space, and which will help the club squeeze under the NFL's spending limit of $94.5 million by the Thursday night deadline.

Michael Vick

Quarterback

Atlanta Falcons

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat

387 214 2211 15 13 73.1

The contract extension signed by Vick in December 2004 provided the Falcons the right to make the move, which essentially turns the roster bonus into a signing bonus. Most important to the Falcons, it means that the team can prorate the $7 million bonus over four years and reduce its impact on the 2006 cap.

Atlanta performed a similar maneuver last spring with Vick on a $22.5 million roster bonus.

The bookkeeping transaction has no impact on Vick, since he would have received the $7 million whether it was treated as a roster bonus or as a signing bonus. The five-year veteran and Pro Bowl performer is due to earn a 2006 base salary of $1.4 million.

Vick, 25, signed what amounted to a 10-year, $130 million contract, which runs through 2014, late in the 2004 season. But the final season of the contract has already been voided, making the contract a nine-year deal worth approximately $118 million. The contract, which included an initial signing bonus of $7.5 million, features $37 million in guarantees.

Included in those guarantees was the $7 million roster bonus Vick will collect this month.

Even with the additional cap space created by the maneuver with Vick's contract, the Falcons are tight against the cap and will need to make another move or two to be in compliance with the spending limit when the new league years begins Friday at 12:01 a.m. The club has already restructured the contract of tight end Eric Beverly and could rework the deals of other veterans, such as Pro Bowl linebacker Keith Brooking, although that has not yet occurred.

ESPN.com has confirmed that the Falcons on Thursday will release 10-year veteran defensive end Brady Smith, which will save $2.5 million against the salary cap. Smith, 32, was limited to a career-low five appearances in 2005 because of injuries. He underwent neck surgery in July, which forced him to miss training camp and then, after returning sooner than expected, suffered a foot injury that ended his year.
so what does this say for Dunn? does he stay on the team now?

Brees, Runyan, D. Brooks and S. Rice are the latest I've heard to be possibly cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chiefs | Shields to be released

Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:36:55 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs OL Will Shields has been informed he will be released.

Chiefs | Stills to be released

Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:36:38 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs LB/ST Gary Stills has been informed he will be released.

Brees, Runyan, D. Brooks and S. Rice are the latest I've heard to be possibly cut.
Brees and Runyan can't be cut, their contracts expire today.

From ESPN:

What happens if a team doesn't comply with the salary cap?

No team has ever gone over the salary cap, so this is a bit of an unknown. However, teams have been fined in the past for attempts to circumvent the cap. ESPN.com contributor and former Miami Dolphins GM Rick Spielman says NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue has wide latitude in fining teams -- and even individual team executives -- or stripping draft picks for failure to comply with the salary cap.

With some teams in dire cap shape, we could see sooner than later just how wide the commissioner's latitude is. The Washington Redskins are one team to watch in this regard, since some other clubs that have studied the Redskins' cap closely have suggested Washington cannot mathematically get into compliance.

From ESPN:

No team has ever gone over the salary cap, so this is a bit of an unknown. However, teams have been fined in the past for attempts to circumvent the cap. ESPN.com contributor and former Miami Dolphins GM Rick Spielman says NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue has wide latitude in fining teams -- and even individual team executives -- or stripping draft picks for failure to comply with the salary cap.

With some teams in dire cap shape, we could see sooner than later just how wide the commissioner's latitude is. The Washington Redskins are one team to watch in this regard, since some other clubs that have studied the Redskins' cap closely have suggested Washington cannot mathematically get into compliance.
others have said they could cut as many as 18 players. It might not be a bad idea to swallow the fine and wait to see how the labor negotiations work out. Hmmm...

I bet the guys who are set to make about $10 mil this year are not to happy with Upshaw if they get cut and make far less because of the greed. There will be many of those.

What comes around goes around.

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs OL Will Shields has been informed he will be released.
This is huge. The Chiefs' O Line continuity has played a major role in the Priest/LJ doiminance. Now Shields is gone, O coordinator Al Saunders is gone, and there's still a chance Roaf will be gone.How I would love to see the Ravens make a move for Shields -- too bad their OL strategy for the past decade has been to pay Ogden a fortune and then make up the cap room by paying everyone else on the line nothing.

This is huge. The Chiefs' O Line continuity has played a major role in the Priest/LJ doiminance. Now Shields is gone, O coordinator Al Saunders is gone, and there's still a chance Roaf will be gone.How I would love to see the Ravens make a move for Shields -- too bad their OL strategy for the past decade has been to pay Ogden a fortune and then make up the cap room by paying everyone else on the line nothing.
I've been considering maxing LJ's trade value for about a week. I may have a lost a little som'm here.

From ESPN:

I know on extremeskins.com, they are saying that with Brunell's contract restructuring, the Redskins are looking at cutting 6-7 players.

Titans | Sirmon's contract tweaked

Thu, 2 Mar 2006 11:49:59 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Tennessee Titans have reworked the contract of LB Peter Sirmon to keep him with the team in 2006.

Titans | Volek adjusts contract

Thu, 2 Mar 2006 11:49:30 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Tennessee Titans reworked the contract of backup QB Billy Volek to keep him with the team in 2006.

Titans | Additional cap savings found

Thu, 2 Mar 2006 11:49:12 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Tennessee Titans saved $2.6 million in salary cap room by reworking the contracts of QB Billy Volek and LB Peter Sirmon.

I know on extremeskins.com, they are saying that with Brunell's contract restructuring, the Redskins are looking at cutting 6-7 players.
I haven't even been able to access that site during daytime hours all this week. have you?

From ESPN:

I read somewhere that a team can't go over the cap because all contracts must go through the league office and the league would reject a contract that put them over. But what about teams that we been discussing that are already over the cap #? Is that figure a projection based on signing rookies, or only on existing contracts? :confused:

I would hate to see what Anderson already is. I think he was older than Gordon is now when he started in the NFL.
Actually, Anderson was driving a cab in Dallas the day Kennedy was shot. That gives you an idea of how old he is.

There's a report on another board that the NFL Network just said Priest Holmes was released. Anyone hear that?

I read somewhere that a team can't go over the cap because all contracts must go through the league office and the league would reject a contract that put them over. But what about teams that we been discussing that are already over the cap #? Is that figure a projection based on signing rookies, or only on existing contracts? :confused:
first you're referring to new contracts so that doesn't apply. Second, rookies don't count yet since they weren't drafted. That'll be the next set of worries usually around June 1st but it's not uncommon for teams to ghet some wiggle room now, not sign any FAs and use it for rooks.

There's a report on another board that the NFL Network just said Priest Holmes was released. Anyone hear that?
Priest Holmes is old news anyway. He's joining Steven Davis and Mike Anderson in the retirement home.

PRIEST HOLMES HAS BEEN RELEASED ??!!??
This has not been confirmed yet. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.Though it should soon.

I think not only the loss of Shields, but the loss of Holmes would hurt LJ

Losing Holmes has no impact on LJ. If fact it helps his fantasy value.

PRIEST HOLMES HAS BEEN RELEASED ??!!??
This has not been confirmed yet. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.Though it should soon.

Isn't Holmes facing a possible retirement ?
they may have to do an injury settlement too, although I'm not sure of those rules.

minor player FF-wise, but a valuable backup and special teamer Jeff Gooch has been informed he'll be released by the Bucs, per PewterReport.com

Eagles tendered one-year contracts to cornerback Roderick Hood, punter Dirk Johnson, running back Reno Mahe and safety Quintin Mikell.

Losing Holmes has no impact on LJ. If fact it helps his fantasy value.
I should have explained this before but...It might help him have more scoring potential. But with no viable backup, he will have a higher injury risk since he will be on the field almost every down

Again, I think Holmes will be gone, cut or retired, either way

The New York Jets announced today that safety Oliver Celestin was waived. The announcement was made by General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

I think that, if true, this just confirms suspicion that Holmes is retiring. Cut him now to clear the cap space, then re-sign him for $1 to retire as a Chief.

Watch for the Chiefs to make a big push for TO....they are gutting the team to make room.

I think that, if true, this just confirms suspicion that Holmes is retiring. Cut him now to clear the cap space, then re-sign him for $1 to retire as a Chief.
Cutting him just brings on a cap hit ... I think we save money if he retires, lose money if he is cut ... but I am too slow to understand all this ...

Watch for the Chiefs to make a big push for TO....they are gutting the team to make room.
I think the Chiefs and possibly Broncos will cut more guys than expected in order to make room for other stars who are available (Owens, Abraham)

I think that, if true, this just confirms suspicion that Holmes is retiring.  Cut him now to clear the cap space,  then re-sign him for $1 to retire as a Chief.
Cutting him just brings on a cap hit ... I think we save money if he retires, lose money if he is cut ... but I am too slow to understand all this ...
Fairly certain they're OK as long as he retires before June 1st. I read something about this with Favre recently

Users who are viewing this thread