What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow Expects to Beat out Sanchez for #1 QB (1 Viewer)

Umm, no. That's why they are called percentages.
In baseball, if a guy comes up from the minor leagues in September, and he goes 5-10 giving him a .500 batting average, he doesn't win the batting title. Statistics (including percentages) are beholden to sample size. Tebow's passing stats are based on about half as many attempts as Sanchez.

Umm, no. That's why they are called percentages.
In baseball, if a guy comes up from the minor leagues in September, and he goes 5-10 giving him a .500 batting average, he doesn't win the batting title. Statistics (including percentages) are beholden to sample size. Tebow's passing stats are based on about half as many attempts as Sanchez.
True, but it's not like he had 10 passing attempts as your argument suggests. He still had plenty of pass attempts, enough to make a comparison like this.As for your baseball comparison, last year Cabrera won the batting title with about 700 plate appearances...but only needed 502 of them (nearly 30% less) in order to qualify for the award. Sure Tebow had 50% less attempts, but he also started 5 fewer (31%) games. His body of work is large enough to make a comparison here.

end of the day I don't know what we are arguing about. it's not whether you or I think Tebow is better than Sanchez.

think about the situation: two years ago, the Jets traded up for Sanchez and have given him probably 25 mil on the rookie deal and another 20 guaranteed in this latest extension. Tebow cost them a 4th round pick and a mil salary. They are living and dying with Sanchez. Sanchez isn't lame duck Kyle Orton. if Tebow wins this job and legitimately a better passer than Sanchez, the GM might get fired.

and what about the latest evidence that Sanchez looked great and Tebow threw picks to Bart Scott and Yeremiah Bell? Scott and Bell aren't exactly ball hawks.

Last edited by a moderator:
end of the day I don't know what we are arguing about. it's not whether you or I think Tebow is better than Sanchez.
Exactly. It's what the stats say and what the coaches do.
think about the situation: two years ago, the Jets traded up for Sanchez and have given him probably 25 mil on the rookie deal and another 20 guaranteed in this latest extension. Tebow cost them a 4th round pick and a mil salary. They are living and dying with Sanchez. Sanchez isn't lame duck Kyle Orton. if Tebow wins this job and legitimately a better passer than Sanchez, the GM might get fired.
It wouldn't be the first time a GM got fired for picking/sticking with a bad player...not even close.
and what about the latest evidence that Sanchez looked great and Tebow threw picks to Bart Scott and Yeremiah Bell? Scott and Bell aren't exactly ball hawks.
Wow. Talk about grasping as straws. Now we're looking at who they threw picks to instead of how many?? Really? And what is this "latest evidence" you speak of? An OTA fluff piece?Alright, fess up - how many leagues do you own Sanchez in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sanchez does nothing with the 1's.

Tebow leads the 2's right down the field, including runs of 14 and 10 yards, and they get a FG.

:popcorn:

That second drive should have kept going. Crappy receiver dropped a pass off his facemask.

Tebow played terrible tonight, 35 yards rushing and a pick for the fullback.
don't really think he played terrible - he made a couple of nice throws to Hill, one of which was dropped, and he made a horrible decision/throw on that pick. Nothing else really stood out either way to me about his passing. He played about like he usually does, which is inconsistently.Sanchez did a pretty solid job, I thought - when they gave him time he made several nice passes. Jets OL looked like they were going to get somebody killed tonight though.

Tebow played terrible tonight, 35 yards rushing and a pick for the fullback.
don't really think he played terrible - he made a couple of nice throws to Hill, one of which was dropped, and he made a horrible decision/throw on that pick. Nothing else really stood out either way to me about his passing. He played about like he usually does, which is inconsistently.Sanchez did a pretty solid job, I thought - when they gave him time he made several nice passes. Jets OL looked like they were going to get somebody killed tonight though.
I thought he looked pretty consistent. His play was pretty consistent from last year. He consistently looked to run first.Coming from a guy who has watched all of Tebow's professional snaps, here's my thoughts:

1. his accuracy looks to be about the same as it was before - no better, no worse.

2. he still has a tendancy to run before going through progressions. The guys on the Denver radio were laughing about how he still tends to take off and run in TC in 7 on 7 drills - i.e. no rush, no lineman, just QB @ WR's vs LB's and DB's...no reason to tuck and run, but that's what Tebow does. it shows in games.

3. Tebow historically hasn't thrown picks like that. In Denver, he was very careful with the ball. I wonder how much of that was DEN coaches getting on him to dirt it if it isn't 6 feet open, whereas NYJ coaches are asking him to be an actual NFL QB.

This first preseason game for the Jets -- plus or minus Tim Tebow -- will soon drift forgotten into history. It was a vanilla affair, but part of New York's woes on offense can be chalked up to a gentlemen's agreement.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis called Ryan on Thursday to say he didn't want to see the Wildcat make its debut against his defense, Brian Costello of the New York Post reported after the game.

Not an unusual move in the preseason, when coaches are willing -- and seem to expect -- these types of requests from their peers.

Last preseason, New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton anticipated a call from Jim Harbaugh before his San Francisco 49ers debut. That conversation would presumably lead to an agreement on how the game would be played. When Harbaugh failed to pick up the phone, Payton gave (the now infamous) Gregg Williams the green light to 'let the dogs out,' according to Saints radio broadcaster Jim Henderson, via ProFootballTalk.com. The upshot: New Orleans piled up six sacks on the 49ers.

At some point this preseason, we'll catch a hint of Tebow's Wildcat act. Marvin Lewis wanted nothing to do with it tonight and his wish was granted.

Users who are viewing this thread