What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow Expects to Beat out Sanchez for #1 QB (2 Viewers)

The concept of 'coach killer' might soon become extended to 'qb killer' in the case of TT. Orton choked big time last year under the pressure... not from coaches, but from the wave after wave of Timsanity.

However, I think it makes less sense for the Jets to act on it. I started last year thinking TT needed to start because we needed to find out what our 1st round pick could do. The failed trade of Orton to Miami blew that plan up, but then Orton subsequently gave up the job on performance alone.

TT is no longer a 1st rounder. We know what he can do (not that much), and that what he does do will get him injured, so he's much more likely to stay in some kind of special role, regardless of what he or his agent thinks. If he starts for the Jets and Sanchez moves on, you'll be in bigger trouble than you think.

The move is just a "takeover the back page" type of move, it's not a football move.I mean, if Tannenbaum were actually a football guy, I tend to think he would have talked Woody out of it. They fill no holes at all and in the end have created a headache for themselves that they didn't previously have.
The "back page" argument (and many are making it, not meaning to pick on you), is just lame. The Jets lacked a playmaker. The only "dynamic" playmaker they have on offense is Holmes (who just threw his QB under the bus). Tebow is by far the best playmaker anyways, and if you pull Holmes out of the equation, you have Keller and Greene fighting for "next most explosive"...worst case scenario, it plays out and the Jets know where they stand...either way, they have added a playmaker and will solidify a starter regardless of who it is.
If you aren't from New York, I can understand why that comment might seem lame, but trust me, it really is a big part of it. I don't view you disagreeing with me as picking on me at all, we have a differing view, that's what makes message boards work...it's cool. The Jets front office is fixated on not being "little brother" so to speak, and to combat that, this is the type of move Woody and Tannenbaum come up with. In the end, it is a lame effort to be a headline grabber, but that's what this is.You want a playmaker, go get one...but getting a back / wildcat QB really is not the answer; at least not the football answer, especially when there are holes at RT, OLB, FS, WR, DE and arguably RB.I know you likely think I am overstating it, but I firmly believe this will be the move that ends up paving the way for Rex and Tannenbaum to leave town.

It's only a matter of time before Tebow gets knocked out of some games. He all ready would have been out if Denver had beaten NE.
True, but he only started 27 games because he couldn't beat out a 90 year old Doug Flutie.
I'm sorry - but you guys are losing me a little here. Are we measuring by actual stats and facts based on things that actually did occur or "wouldda, couldda, shouldda" things and imaginary stats that might have happened? When Tebow backers quote things like "immeasurables" and "he just wins" or "look at 4th quarter come-backs" - Tebow-haters scream "look at the stats!!" Now we're looking at stats, and now you're saying....what exactly? :confused:

I have had both Sanchez and Tebow on FF teams. I am not a Jets fan - in other words, I have no horse in this race. I am simply trying to look at the numbers objectively. Tebow seems to have more upside than Sanchez, based largely on the fact that other than completion %, Tebow > Sanchez in most other passing categories, despite having 33 fewer NFL starts under his belt - and that's not even taking into account Tebow's running ability.

Even if you don't count his rushing (or limit it to avoid injury) - Tebow, to this point, seems to be a better passer, going by the numbers (the ones that actually happened.)
What categories?

It's only a matter of time before Tebow gets knocked out of some games. He all ready would have been out if Denver had beaten NE.
True, but he only started 27 games because he couldn't beat out a 90 year old Doug Flutie.
I'm sorry - but you guys are losing me a little here. Are we measuring by actual stats and facts based on things that actually did occur or "wouldda, couldda, shouldda" things and imaginary stats that might have happened? When Tebow backers quote things like "immeasurables" and "he just wins" or "look at 4th quarter come-backs" - Tebow-haters scream "look at the stats!!" Now we're looking at stats, and now you're saying....what exactly? :confused:

I have had both Sanchez and Tebow on FF teams. I am not a Jets fan - in other words, I have no horse in this race. I am simply trying to look at the numbers objectively. Tebow seems to have more upside than Sanchez, based largely on the fact that other than completion %, Tebow > Sanchez in most other passing categories, despite having 33 fewer NFL starts under his belt - and that's not even taking into account Tebow's running ability.

Even if you don't count his rushing (or limit it to avoid injury) - Tebow, to this point, seems to be a better passer, going by the numbers (the ones that actually happened.)
What categories?
Earlier in this very thread

We saw what happened in Denver when Fox tried to Force Tebow into a typical pro style offense. It was ugly.
Eh. He had one ugly game vs Detroit (in his 3rd start of the year, 6th of his career) and Fox panicked and overreacted. He had an ugly game just like every young QB does. Guys like Brady, Stafford, and especially Mcnabb had even uglier games that early on in their careers. For whatever reason, Tebow just wasn't allowed the early growing pains that most young QBs get. He had 1 really bad game in 6 and his coach flipped out and stopped throwing the ball.Remember, they ran a more pro style offense when he came in during his rookie year and it went pretty well.
I feel like I've seen enough from him to say he is more productive and suited to run out of a read-option offense. I think he can get better in a pro-style system, but if the JETS want to win, having him learn the pro-style during games isn't the answer.

And BTW OF COURSE One shoud expect Tebow to think he can be the Starter.

BUT, ######### to all those delusional Jets fans and others who tried to sell the "Oh don't get so upset, Tebow is just the new Brad Smith, Back up - Wild Cat QB. The circus can't get crazier than it is" Crap.

Meanwhile a lot of what Brad Smith brought to the table was on Special Teams....

What a mess.
I think Kiddnets is incorrect that he will provide the same function in the wildcat as Brad Smith did (he mentioned in other threads) as Tebow is not as fast or can't catch like Smith, but Tebow can throw better and is a more powerful runner (they are just different). BUT, I am not sure why you are opposed to Sanchez having competition. What has he done to warrant having only the "Jim Sorgi"s and "Curtis Painter"s of the world breathing down his neck? Guy needs competition and if he can't handle that, then it is no big loss for the Jets.
Because "Competition" is ####

Like I said, there is no greater internal competition than knowing you will be a Complete failure and looking for other work in 2 years...

The guy was groomed to be a QB and worked at it for most of his life... But, OHHHHHHHHHHHHH now Tebowmania comes to town and he's going to what TRY HARDER??????????

Guy was balls to the wall working to improve this year with a hopefully better OC, OL, and maybe a WR or 2 he can work with for more than 1 season.

How can you develop a s aQB when you will never survive the pitfalls all 4th year QB's with his lack of experience need to go through - What Eli went through:????????

Never will he survive a 3 or 4 INT day like all good QB's fight through without Tebowmania running wild...

It's a mockery and IMO Sanchez' career is officially doomed - I held out hope but, no way does this work out well.
I really love your Jets insight Reaper but I disagree with you on this. There couldn't be a bigger motivator than having a possible successor on your team NOW. Sanchez isn't worrying about what's going to happen in a few years. He's under contract and he's gonna get paid. Instead of being deemed a complete failure in 2 years, there's a strong possibility that could happen this season if Tebow comes in, plays well and eventually takes his job. Which do you think is the bigger pressure situation? Having Stanton as your backup, worrying about where you'll be in a couple of seasons or having a guy who can clearly push you for your job and make you a backup THIS season?

Last edited by a moderator:
When was the last time Tebow or Sanchez improved at anything football?
Sanchez has started 47 games at QB in the NFL, Tebow 14. So saying Tebow hasn't improved might be a bit premature.For those thinking it's laughable that Tebow would beat out Sanchez, here are some interesting stats to this point in their NFL careers:

Regular Season Passer Rating:

Sanchez: 73.2

Tim T: 75.1

INT% -

Sanchez: 3.6%

Tim T: 2.5%

TD%

Sanchez: 3.9%

Tim T: 4.8%

Completion %:

Sanchez: 55.3%

Tim T: 47.3%

So congrats to Mark on having a better completion %...by 8 points and congrats to Tim Tebow for having better QB stats in TD ratio, fewer INTs per attampt and a better passer rating. And we havn't talked about rushing yards at all. From a purely passing standpoint, if Tebow can increase his completion percentage by ~9% his numbers would be better than Sanchez's in almost any way you want to look at them - despite having two full season fewer NFL starts under his belt.

And for the mathmatically challenged - the numbers are all %, so yes, they take into account the fact that Tebow was asked to throw fewer passes.

I could have also gone into TD/INT ratio or overall scoring by including Tebows rushing TDs, but did not. From a purely passing statisitical basis, Tebow should not necessarily be as far from starting as some (including Sanchez) would like to think.
So you think it makes no difference to defenses when a team passes 55% of the time vs. 44%?

Report sounds like Tebow is coming after Sanchez

By Simon Samano NFL.com

Mark Sanchez doesn't need this. Mark Sanchez doesn't want this. Mark Sanchez might not be able to handle this.

As if the New York Jets simply trading for Tim Tebow wasn't enough to keep Sanchez strung out, the New York Daily News is reporting that Tebow believes he can beat out Sanchez for the starting quarterback job.

Per a story in Friday's edition of the newspaper: "A major factor in Tebow’s push to come to New York over Jacksonville, his hometown, is that he sees a clear path to resuming his career as a starter, sources tell the Daily News."

That thud you just heard was Sanchez punching a wall.

Look, the Jets can slice it, dice it and spin it any which way they want, but there's no way around it: They have a Category 5 quarterback controversy on their hands. Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan can call Sanchez the starter until they're blue in the face -- nothing's going to diffuse the situation.

And if Tebow is gunning for Sanchez's job, not understanding he's the backup ... that definitely ramps up everything to the next level.

Can training camp hurry up and get here already?

Tebow will be starting by the bye week regardless. Sanchez is not good enough to not get swallowed up by Tebowmania. He will crumble in Tebow's wake, I have zero doubt.

Sanchez has started 47 games at QB in the NFL, Tebow 14. So saying Tebow hasn't improved might be a bit premature.For those thinking it's laughable that Tebow would beat out Sanchez, here are some interesting stats to this point in their NFL careers:

INT% -

TD%

Completion %:

So congrats to Mark on having a better completion %...by 8 points and congrats to Tim Tebow for having better QB stats in TD ratio, fewer INTs per attampt and a better passer rating. And we havn't talked about rushing yards at all. From a purely passing standpoint, if Tebow can increase his completion percentage by ~9% his numbers would be better than Sanchez's in almost any way you want to look at them - despite having two full season fewer NFL starts under his belt.

And for the mathmatically challenged - the numbers are all %, so yes, they take into account the fact that Tebow was asked to throw fewer passes.

I could have also gone into TD/INT ratio or overall scoring by including Tebows rushing TDs, but did not. From a purely passing statisitical basis, Tebow should not necessarily be as far from starting as some (including Sanchez) would like to think.
So you think it makes no difference to defenses when a team passes 55% of the time vs. 44%?
I'm sure someone will come up with an intelligent reply...as soon as anyone understands what you're asking. :confused:

I'm not sure what you're asking or why. Are you trying to suggest that Tebow's better passing numbers are because teams expected him to pass less? or more? Or is this related to Sanchez? Or are you trying to suggest that Tebow's % would change if he threw more? (which incidentally, is kinda the point of using %s when comparing players who have 3 times more starts than other players). Or are we going with "what if" stats instead of actual ones?

Or better yet, why exactly does the question you've posed even matter? Like I said, I have no horse in this race, and I am not trying to be difficult - just trying to understand what you are asking and why it may or may not be relevant to the conversation about which is the better QB.

Count me in with the nuts but I have a feeling Rex Ryan is going to allow the Tebow magic to runneth over in New York. They are going to design an offense with this kid, add in the fact he has a chip on his shoulder and I'm telling you if you think you've seen the last or the best that Tebow has to offer in the NFL...I think you are in for a big surprise.

I hate the Jets, wish he would have found another team but I do respect Ryan more than many. Ryan will fan the fires inside Tebow. I wonder if he can stop himself from cussing all the time around Tebow because he doesn't like that stuff.

The circus has come to town. I for one am glad Tebow will remain in the spotlight, he brings a college vibe to the NFL like we haven't seen in a very long time if ever.

'DoubleG said:
'cstu said:

INT% -

TD%

Completion %:

I'm sure someone will come up with an intelligent reply...as soon as anyone understands what you're asking. :confused:

I'm not sure what you're asking or why. Are you trying to suggest that Tebow's better passing numbers are because teams expected him to pass less? or more? Or is this related to Sanchez? Or are you trying to suggest that Tebow's % would change if he threw more? (which incidentally, is kinda the point of using %s when comparing players who have 3 times more starts than other players). Or are we going with "what if" stats instead of actual ones?

Or better yet, why exactly does the question you've posed even matter? Like I said, I have no horse in this race, and I am not trying to be difficult - just trying to understand what you are asking and why it may or may not be relevant to the conversation about which is the better QB.
It matters because you're comparing passing numbers of a guy who surprised defenses when he threw the ball to a guy who had defenses expecting a pass most of the time. I don't think it's that unreasonable to question your statistical comparison because of that.

By that same logic, Brees should be allowed lower percentages because everyone knew he was passing all the time.

I don't think that the effective percentages would or should be any different based on volume of passing attempts.

I think tebow had a better chance of beating out henne or gabbert before sanchez but maybe he feels that if he can beat out sanchez the jets are the better team and he can get to a super bowl quicker than with the jags or be in a better position to win
I haven't seen a Tebow quote on this from the articles I saw.Re: Tebow's preference... if it was NY, I'd imagine it was driven by the market if anything. Dude is going see an instantaneous increase in endorsement opportunities.
Could have been driven by the Jets coaching staff wanting him & the Jags owner forcing him onto the team.
This. And so because the Jet's coaches expressed appreciation for Tebow's game, he feels he has a better chance to compete there. He also will have more to work with if he does get a chance--the Jets have much better receivers and OL.

'Ministry of Pain said:
Count me in with the nuts but I have a feeling Rex Ryan is going to allow the Tebow magic to runneth over in New York. They are going to design an offense with this kid, add in the fact he has a chip on his shoulder and I'm telling you if you think you've seen the last or the best that Tebow has to offer in the NFL...I think you are in for a big surprise. I hate the Jets, wish he would have found another team but I do respect Ryan more than many. Ryan will fan the fires inside Tebow. I wonder if he can stop himself from cussing all the time around Tebow because he doesn't like that stuff. The circus has come to town. I for one am glad Tebow will remain in the spotlight, he brings a college vibe to the NFL like we haven't seen in a very long time if ever.
I agree on all points here

Tim Tebow winning over Jets staff

By Marc Sessler NFL.com

Writer

The early returns on Tim Tebow out of Florham Park are positive and gaining steam.

Nobody knew what to expect when the New York Jets traded for the former Denver Broncos starter, but Tebow told reporters last week he's played exclusively under center this offseason.

"I think he can be very good," Jets quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh told the New York Daily News this week. "I was pleasantly surprised when I saw him over an extended period of time ... not just watching him play on film. I think he's certainly got the arm strength. He has good mechanics. They're getting better every day."

Tebow's work ethic is praised everywhere he goes, but his mechanics have been under fire from the minute he was drafted by Denver in 2010. Cavanaugh is focused on improving Tebow's footwork and delivery inside a clean pocket, according to the newspaper, but it's clear they're happy with his play.

We lack a clear blueprint for how Tebow will be used in New York's attack. Mark Sanchez is the starter for now, with Tebow expected to be used up to 20 snaps a game in the Wildcat -- but his role could grow. We expect it to if Sanchez rediscovers his troubles from last season.

Sanchez is being asked to play the part of good company man, surrendering a large chunk of his role in the offense to make room for Tebow. So far, Sanchez has adapted with poise, at least publicly.

"I think any quarterback that plays doesn't want to come off the field," Cavanaugh said. "But that's the head coach's decision. Between (coach) Rex (Ryan) and Tony Sparano, the offense will be totally set and that will be their plan. ... If you're a really good quarterback, you understand that you want to do what's best for the team. So I don't see it being an issue."

What Mark Sanchez must do to keep New York Jets' starting job

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Analyst

Mark Sanchez is entering his fourth season as the New York Jets' starting quarterback, and it is certainly a make-or-break year for him in the minds of evaluators.

Although he has shown flashes of being a franchise quarterback while leading the Jets to two AFC Championship Game appearances in three seasons, the jury is still out on whether he has the goods to get them over the hump after an underwhelming 2011 campaign. In fact, the Jets were so unsure about his long-term potential this offseason that they acquired Tim Tebow as an insurance policy.

With the pressure mounting in New York for Sanchez to deliver in a big way this upcoming season, I decided to dig into the game tape to see where he can make significant strides to become the franchise player the Jets envisioned when they took him fifth overall in the 2009 draft.

Here are four key areas for the QB to improve upon:

1. Sanchez must avoid the negative plays.

It is not a coincidence that the top 10 quarterbacks in passing efficiency led their respective teams into the playoffs. The outcome of the turnover battle typically determines the winner of an NFL game, and the league's top quarterbacks have mastered the art of avoiding negative plays.

In evaluating Sanchez, it was his carelessness with the football that stood out the most in my mind. He tossed the fifth-most interceptions (18) in the NFL a season ago, while also losing eight fumbles. His penchant for turning the ball over cost the Jets scoring chances and put the defense in difficult situations on short fields.

In addition to his struggles with turnovers, Sanchez must also avoid taking sacks in the pocket. He was sacked 39 times a season ago, the fifth-highest total in the NFL. Although some of those sacks could be attributed to the Jets' leaky offensive line, Sanchez could drastically reduce that number by getting rid of the ball quicker in the pocket. Rather than waiting for receivers to uncover on deeper routes, Sanchez can dump the ball off to his running backs in the flat to avoid coverage sacks.

Sanchez can also reduce sack numbers with better preparation in the film room. If he can start to anticipate blitz pressure prior to the snap, he can quickly identify the hot read and exploit vacant areas. Elite quarterbacks punish opponents for bringing five- and six-man pressures, and Sanchez has plenty of room for improvement in that area.

2. Take more shots down the field.

Sanchez improved in several areas as a passer in 2011 (completion percentage, passing yards and touchdowns), but took a step back with his deep-ball efficiency. He finished the 2011 season with only two completions of 40-plus yards, which ranked dead last among starting quarterbacks. That number is in stark contrast to the 18 40-plus-yard completions during Sanchez's first two seasons at the helm.

When I examined the tape to identify possible reasons behind the decline, I noticed that Sanchez hesitates before pulling the trigger on vertical routes unless the read is clean. He didn't appear to have the trust or chemistry with his receivers -- Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress -- to attempt downfield 50/50 throws on the outside. With Burress, in particular, Sanchez never developed the trust in his big target, which was reflected in his refusal to "alley-oop" vertical throws. Granted, Burress didn't possess the speed, quickness or burst to run past defenders on deeper routes, so Sanchez's reluctance was understandable.

However, the addition of rookie Stephen Hill should encourage Sanchez to take more shots down the field in 2012. Hill blazed 40 times in the sub-4.4 range during pre-draft workouts and enters the league as one of the most explosive vertical threats from the 2012 draft. He will blow past defenders on post and go routes, and that will enable Sanchez to push the ball down the field. If Sanchez is able to connect on a few deep balls early in the season, opponents will loosen their coverage on the Jets' receivers, leading to bigger windows and easier completions on short and intermediate throws.

3. Sanchez needs to focus on "connecting the dots."

The league's top quarterbacks pick apart coverage with a surgeon's precision, and it stems from adhering to a disciplined approach of taking what's available in each situation.

Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers will consistently hit the open receiver in every situation, and their willingness to attack the vulnerable areas of coverage makes them indefensible in the pocket. In some instances, this means hitting the running back routinely on the check-down to keep the offense on schedule, while simultaneously avoiding the long-yardage situations that typically lead to turnovers or negative plays.

Sanchez, on the other hand, has struggled to stay patient in the pocket and it has routinely led to costly turnovers in critical situations. Unlike the aforementioned elite passers who have mastered the art of stringing together completions to advance the ball down the field, Sanchez attempts to manufacture big plays, despite facing coverage loaded up to defend the sweet spots of the Jets' passing game. His hasty approach plays into the opponent's hands, and prevents the Jets from consistently winning close games.

If Sanchez is going to finally get over the hump and become an elite player, he must learn how to efficiently pick apart coverage with quick, pinpoint throws to open receivers in various areas of the field. From connecting with the running backs on swings and screens to hitting the tight ends over the middle of the field, Sanchez needs to utilize the underneath weapons to create better opportunities to hit Holmes on intermediate and vertical routes. It takes poise and patience to thrive while utilizing these tactics, but wins will start to pile up in New York when Sanchez adheres to the script.

4. Let the playmakers do the dirty work.

For all of the conversation about quarterbacks lifting the play of everyone around them, the theory actually works in reverse. Great skill players make quarterbacks better, and Sanchez should allow his supporting cast to help take his game to another level. He should work with offensive coordinator Tony Sparano to identify the Jets' top weapons and collectively find ways to repeatedly get them the ball in places where they can make things happen.

As I look at the Jets' personnel, the top players in the passing game are Holmes and tight end Dustin Keller. Both are dynamic pass catchers with the ability to make plays on intermediate and vertical routes, and both are nearly indefensible when facing isolated matchups. Sanchez should spend a ton of time working with both players on the practice field and in the film room to fully understand their sweet spots on the field.

For instance, Holmes is one of the best route runners in the league and he excels at working inside the numbers. He kills opponents on in-breaking routes like slants and digs, and is an elusive runner in the open field. Sanchez should take advantage of those skills by feeding him repeatedly on those routes and allowing Holmes to turn short passes into big gains. In addition, he should make sure his No. 1 receiver stays engaged by routinely throwing passes his direction. Most receivers are diva-like in their disposition and you have to feed them early if you want production late.

If Sanchez can develop a better rapport with his top playmakers, he will get better production from a supporting cast that can make his job much easier.

It's ON

According to the New York Daily News, Tim Tebow chose the Jets over the Jaguars in large part because he "sees a clear path" to the starting quarterback job.

Who can blame Tebow for believing he can beat out a quarterback who regressed in major fashion last season? Per Pro Football Focus, Mark Sanchez was one of four starting quarterbacks with a lower passing grade than Tebow last year. If Sanchez doesn't show substantial improvement -- all the while battling the Tebow circus -- there could be a new starter in New York by mid-season.
I don't see this. Wasn't Tebow traded. Since when do players choose who they are traded to.

It's ON

According to the New York Daily News, Tim Tebow chose the Jets over the Jaguars in large part because he "sees a clear path" to the starting quarterback job.

Who can blame Tebow for believing he can beat out a quarterback who regressed in major fashion last season? Per Pro Football Focus, Mark Sanchez was one of four starting quarterbacks with a lower passing grade than Tebow last year. If Sanchez doesn't show substantial improvement -- all the while battling the Tebow circus -- there could be a new starter in New York by mid-season.
I don't see this. Wasn't Tebow traded. Since when do players choose who they are traded to.
There were rumors that the Broncos got similar offers from the Jets and Jags and let Tebow choose which one he wanted to go to. I'm not sure the validity of those rumors was ever proven one way or the other.

Revis raving about Tebow's leadership.....

Greg Rosenthal article

Wednesday is officially the day to discuss Tim Tebow 's eating habits at the New York Jets ' OTAs. First, running back Joe McKnight compared his McDonald's diet to Tebow's more disciplined approach. Now, cornerback Darrelle Revis is giving Tebow's nutritional habits some love, with respect to Tebow's leadership abilities.

"It's the passion within ... of him wanting to be a leader, wanting to win. You see it in him all the time ... eating lunch," Revis said.

Tebow's leadership knows no bounds. He can inspire in the salad bar line and everywhere else.

"He's a born leader," Revis said via the New York Daily News . "He really is. Very few athletes have the gift that he has. He tries to lead by example all the time and he tries to be positive, which is awesome. I think that results (in) his success on the field. He came in with Denver and did unbelievable. And now he's with us. We're happy. We're excited for him. We're happy (that) he'll bring his leadership qualities to this team."

Guard Matt Slauson noted that Tebow works really hard and meshes well with the rest of the team. Yes, the Jets have caught Tebowmania.

"Some people have it. Some guys don't," Revis said. "He's very positive. He has passion for what he does and you could see it. You can see it on him when you have a conversation with him. He's just a leader."

Revis later said Tebow had the "it" factor. It's hard not to wonder if Revis also believes whether Mark Sanchez has "it."

It matters because you're comparing passing numbers of a guy who surprised defenses when he threw the ball to a guy who had defenses expecting a pass most of the time. I don't think it's that unreasonable to question your statistical comparison because of that.
wouldnt tebow be the one passing in obv situations more often? id imagine his attempts are heavily skewed to long yardage situations.

most people forget that when the Jets were in the AFC CG in 2009 and 2010, Brad Smith's wildcat package was averaging 6 yards or more a carry. Mark Sanchez was coming back on the field to find 2nd and 4 instead of 2nd and 10.

in 2011 they tried Kerley and McKnight in that role but neither were any good at it. in 2012 they hired Tony Sparano who basically invented the Wildcat in the modern era of NFL football. Getting Tebow to be a better Brad Smith is going be the greatest impact on the Jets offense. That and lighting a fire under Sanchez or having a backup plan in case he gets injured. Also keep in mind Sanchez had 26 turnovers last year, if they give Tebow some wildcat snaps, that's a step in the right direction in terms of risk management and taking care of the football. Tebow is far from a perfect QB but he takes care of the ball, and that's important.

INT% -

TD%

Completion %:

Don't know how I missed this. At any rate...First off, this will change (i.e. adversely change Tebow's numbers now that he's with the Jets) how exactly?

Secondly, sorry, I'm not buying what you're selling. So your entire point is that Tebow throws unexpectedly or in clear running situations? Or that Sanchez throws when the defense is always expecting it? So are you blaming the OC of the Jets at this point?

Third (related to #1) if Tebow comes in to run the wildcat, what exactly will the defenses be expecting then? And how will this negatively affect his numbers?

Fourth, regardless as to when Tebow is brought into the game, defenses will always have to at least respect the fact that he can run the ball...effectively. That's kind of the point and one of the assets he brings to the proverbial table. This won't suddenly cease to exsist just because he has come to the Jets. So no, I don't see any particular reason why looking at their previous numbers is somehow now invalid simply because Tebow has changed teams.

The concept of 'coach killer' might soon become extended to 'qb killer' in the case of TT. Orton choked big time last year under the pressure... not from coaches, but from the wave after wave of Timsanity.However, I think it makes less sense for the Jets to act on it. I started last year thinking TT needed to start because we needed to find out what our 1st round pick could do. The failed trade of Orton to Miami blew that plan up, but then Orton subsequently gave up the job on performance alone.TT is no longer a 1st rounder. We know what he can do (not that much), and that what he does do will get him injured, so he's much more likely to stay in some kind of special role, regardless of what he or his agent thinks. If he starts for the Jets and Sanchez moves on, you'll be in bigger trouble than you think.
I don't see how people can say "we know what TT can do, not much." He has still started less than 16 games, less than a full NFL season. In those games, he has been very productive and won more than he lost. If he were any other first round pick who had been so successful in less than a season of starting we would be talking about his potential and how much he could improve and how well he had played. I saw tremendous improvement, literally game to game, last season. I still don't know if he can be a great QB. But I would like to see what he can do with a full offseason, something he didn't get last off season. In contrast to TT, we HAVE seen enough of Sanchez to know that he is NOT a franchise QB. He is an average QB at best. He has played much more than Tebow, so I see far less chance of him continuing to improve.

Is Tim Tebow already winning New York Jets' starting job?

By Jeff Darlington NFL.com

Reporter

The playful jabs started from five, maybe six, lockers away. New York Jets linebacker Bart Scott began digging into quarterback Tim Tebow, pestering him in a style that sent a jolt of hilarity through those close enough to witness the exchange.

The first round didn't last long -- still long enough for Scott to win with a Baby Jesus reference and a request for a baptism in the cold tub. But a few minutes later, as recounted by a present member of the New York media, Tebow walked past Scott, who was outstretched on the floor of the locker room in a facedown position.

"That's what happens when you get old," Tebow said to the 10-year veteran on Wednesday.

Yes, chalk one up for Tebow. And chalk up this week, which still has yet to include any actual football, as the beginning of Phase Two of the Tebow Takeover in New York. It's happening, people. Without a shadow of a doubt, it's happening.

First, during an ill-conceived news conference that unnecessarily vaulted their backup quarterback into the spotlight, the Jets delivered Tebow to a fan base in a manner that surely helped his cause in becoming the starter. Now, the locker room is falling for his charm, too.

"Yes," Scott said Wednesday after first telling reporters he wasn't going to talk to them on a voluntary workout day. "I love Tebow."

You know who else loves Tebow? You know who spoke about him so glowingly, so eloquently, that his comments could have just as easily been about any team's franchise quarterback? Oh, only the best player on the Jets' roster.

"He's a born leader," cornerback Darrelle Revis told reporters, including the New York Daily News. "He really is. Very few athletes have the gift that he has. He tries to lead by example all the time and he tries to be positive, which is awesome. I think that result is in his success on the field. He came in with Denver and did unbelievable. And now he's with us.

"We're happy. We're excited for him. We're happy he'll bring his leadership qualities to this team."

Pretty bold words about a backup, no?

None of this is meant to suggest there is anything wrong with such a sentiment. If there's one easily defined quality about Tebow, it is his unbelievable ability to endear himself to all those around him. And deservedly so. No reason to fault him for it, even if it doesn't exactly put his starting quarterback in an ideal position to succeed. But let's nonetheless start calling this what it is: The most unique, unspoken quarterback competition we've seen in years. And Tebow might just already be winning it.

How is that possible, you ask? How can Tebow be winning a competition when he has yet to take a snap under center in a practice for the Jets? News flash: Tebow isn't good in practice. In fact, he's borderline terrible. If the Jets are expecting him to look remotely close to as talented as Mark Sanchez in practice, they didn't do their homework.

During one practice last year in Denver, Broncos coach John Fox was walking toward a group of reporters when his quarterback threw a pass nearby that fluttered end-over-end in the direction of an open receiver, who still easily made the catch. Fox, realizing everyone saw it, turned toward the reporters and started to chuckle.

"The damnedest thing is," Fox said, "he still completed the pass."

You see, even in Denver, even before anyone had seen Tebow's ability to win one clutch game after another last season, he still managed to jump over Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn, despite an inability to show a shred of evidence during practice to justify the move. Sources in Denver, to this day, can't justify the move other than to shrug their collective shoulders and say, "It was something we had to do." Tebow won the job because he instilled hope in a fan base; because he had a deafening presence in the locker room; and because, even if he easily outperformed Tebow in practice, Orton struggled in games.

Now he arrives in New York with a résumé that proves, even though he struggles in practice, he has an innate ability to pull out wins. He arrives in New York, where a locker room (aside from a few remaining loyalists to Sanchez) thirsts for a leader of a different caliber at the quarterback position.

Revis -- again, let's point out that he's the BEST player on the team -- clearly sees a leader of the finest quality in Tebow.

"Some people have it. Some guys don't," Revis said, according to the Daily News. "It's the passion within ... Of him wanting to be a leader, wanting to win. You see it in him all the time ... Eating lunch, walking down the hallway -- you see it. He's just one of those guys. He's very positive. He has passion for what he does and you could see it.

"You can see it on him when you have a conversation with him. He's just a leader."

It's one thing for Tebow to win over the fan base (a very important element to the Tebow Takeover, mind you). It's another to win over his teammates, as well.

Sanchez will undoubtedly and deservedly get the opportunity to start Week 1 of the regular season. Aside from injury, nothing between now and then is going to give the coaching staff any reason (or desire) to make the move to Tebow on their own.

Meanwhile, Tebow will simply bide his time. He'll crack a few jokes to his teammates, smile for the reporters, work hard in the weight room and struggle in practice. Then, he'll wait. He'll wait for the moment, should it ever come, when the fans grow antsy, when his teammates start looking toward his locker.

When the coaching staff is forced into calling his name.

"Hey, No. 15," they'll say. "You're up."

Steve Weatherford clarifies Mark Sanchez jabs

By Marc Sessler NFL.com

Writer

Steve Weatherford has learned something this week: Riffing on Mark Sanchez makes headlines.

The New York Giants punter generated controversy after suggesting his former New York Jets teammate has failed to develop as an NFL passer.

Weatherford took to Twitter on Friday to clarify his remarks.

Steve Weatherford

@Weatherford5

I think @Mark_Sanchez knows the truth. I would never "RIP" a former teammate.Marks a great competitor and close friend This is outta control

Weatherford was in Florham Park for Sanchez's first two seasons with the Jets. He questioned Sanchez's growth during a visit with NFL.com's "Cover Two" podcast Thursday."I like Mark, I think he's a very talented quarterback, but from my standpoint, I haven't seen a lot of maturation from the position," Weatherford said. "When you're a quarterback and you come in, and you're expected to be the face of the franchise, and you're expected to lead the team, that's a lot to take on as a rookie, but as the years go on, I think you're expected to mature, skill-wise, and also mature as a leader, and to be honest with you, as much as I like the guy, I just haven't seen that."

Weatherford added another log to the fire Friday with a message for those pesky NFL bloggers: "Mark Sanchez will make people forget about (Tim) Tebow, but the competition will sharpen him. He has what is takes to be great."

We're not so sure about that, but there's an upside here: If the Giants need a cornerback anytime soon, this punter can backpedal.

Overreaction begins after Tebow throws practice picks

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

The media was allowed to watch the Jets' first OTA practice on Thursday. The overreaction to what they saw came soon thereafter.

Gary Myers

@garymyersNYDN

Tebow picked off by Bart Scott and Yeremiah Bell about 2 minutes apart in OTAs. Sanchez lengthening lead in Jets QB derby.

Oh boy. Maybe it's just because I live in New York and follow so many of the great Jets beat writers, but I read about Tebow's practice struggles about ten times in two minutes. (I also learned that Urban Meyer was in the house watching.) ATL has talked about the dangers of drawing too many conclusions from OTAs, and that notion really applies when we try to draw conclusion from the first 30 minutes of the offseason.If you think the overreaction is bad now, just wait until training camp or the regular season. (Mark Sanchez knows what we are talking about.)

Soon after the Tebow interception spree breaking news broke, the Jets switched to special teams drills. I then learned ten times that Tebow was heavily involved. We give Rich Cimini credit for the right sarcastic tone in evaluating the move:

Rich Cimini

@RichCimini

Tebow looks great covering punts. A natural born personal protector. #Jets

UPDATE: Your final Tebow vs. Sanchez Day 1 overreaction stats:
Jenny Vrentas

@JennyVrentas

By an unofficial count, Sanchez took 17 snaps in 11-on-11s, 7-for-14 with a TD. Tebow took 9 snaps, 6-for-10. #nyj

Sanchez also threw a 75 yard TD to Stephen Hill.

Sanchez is making 10 Mil this year. Tebow is making 1 mil. Follow the money. the media is making this out to be a competition, it's not. It's Sanchez' job to lose.

Sanchez also threw a 75 yard TD to Stephen Hill. Sanchez is making 10 Mil this year. Tebow is making 1 mil. Follow the money. the media is making this out to be a competition, it's not. It's Sanchez' job to lose.
:goodposting: - media fodder...thats all this is.

Sanchez also threw a 75 yard TD to Stephen Hill. Sanchez is making 10 Mil this year. Tebow is making 1 mil. Follow the money. the media is making this out to be a competition, it's not. It's Sanchez' job to lose.
I think Sanchez is very capable of doing just that.

today tebow told the media that the 2 interceptions he threw were because it was the first time he was executing the plays. Only problem with that explanation, it was also Sanchez' first time executing the plays (Tony Sparano New Oc = New playbook).

Hey did it ever occur to anyone that maybe they brought in TT to teach Sanchez something about leadership on field and off?

I think it's interesting that with the Broncos and Jets both times a defensive player, a leader CB at that, Bailey/Revis, have been the first key teammates to vocalize their support for Tebow.

On the other hand there will come a game, as happens for all QB's (well those not beyond reproach as star franchise QBs (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, the Mannings, + maybe 5-6 others)) when the Jets will fall behind, when Sanchez's play will play a role in that, and Ryan can either pull Sanchez or leave him in there. And we all know that Tebow has it in him to lead a comeback. And at that point Ryan will have a decision to make. He knows it because we all know it and he's already figured out what he's going to do in that situation.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-orleans-saints/09000d5d81323d37/WK-4-Can-t-Miss-Play-Sharper-pick-six

Tebow is a weird, weird player but there is no doubt he is better than Sanchez. The only issue is they are both young, you know you probably can't mold Tebow, and you are still holding out hope you can mold Sanchez.

But in due time, the Jets will accept the fact he is frail, and probably not man enough to be a NFL QB. Give me Tebow to lead the troops all day long.

Week 1 seems aggressive. But it will happen eventually, perhaps once it gets cold outside and Sanchez wishes he had on double mittens and a cup of hot cocoa, and worse... told his offensive lineman that in the huddle.

Tebow is a weird, weird player but there is no doubt he is better than Sanchez.
I don't know by what measurement that's true. Tebow won 1 home playoff game, Sanchez won 4 on the road. By almost every measurement Sanchez is a better passer.

I don't know by what measurement that's true. Tebow won 1 home playoff game, Sanchez won 4 on the road. By almost every measurement Sanchez is a better passer.

Except those that actually measure passing:Sanchez has started 47 games at QB in the NFL, Tebow 14. So Tebow hasn't even started a full season's worth yet.

For those thinking it's laughable that Tebow would beat out Sanchez, here are some interesting stats to this point in their NFL careers:

INT% -

TD%

Completion %:

I measure based on what I see. Sanchez has never once impressed me. Tebow has and will again. Is Tebow a true franchise QB? No. But he's better than Sanchez.

I measure based on what I see. Sanchez has never once impressed me. Tebow has and will again. Is Tebow a true franchise QB? No. But he's better than Sanchez.
This is what I see too. And the running dimension of Tebow DOES matter. It adds something else for the defense to think about. Also, because he has only started 14 games and didn't have a real off season program last season, his passing can still improve. Sanchez's passing is what it is at this point. I don't see much reason to think he will make a big leap. But Tebow works hard, is coachable and athletic, and hasn't played in a Pro Style offense very long, so why exactly do people think his passing can't improve? He doesn't need to be Peyton Manning as a passer to be an effective NFL QB because he can do other things Manning type QBs can't. If he can become an average passer, he can be an above average QB.

Agree. As much as I am just SICK of Tebow-talk ad naseum, if asked to put one on a team I DID want to win, I'd roll with Tebow in one game. Sanchez's agent went out of his way yesterday to call diferentiate Sanchez and tebow by calling Sanchez a franchise QB. Last time I checked, when you ARE a franchise QB, you don't need to go around promoting it. I think its obvious that Sanchez will fold like a lawn chair sooner than later and we will see Tebow this year (unless he gets hurt while playing "designated protector" on the punt team).

if we are talking about stats, the 14 games of Tebow is a much smaller sample size than the 45 games of Sanchez.

Here's a stat Mark Sanchez broke the Jets total TD record by a QB last season. He's 2nd to Vinny Testaverde in single season passing TD. meanwhile Tebow is on his 2nd team. Elway couldn't wait to dump this guy. Here's another stat Sanchez is making 10x more than Tebow in 2012 salary. Money talks and Bull#### walks.

let me be clear I like Tebow and root for him but he's the 2nd best QB on that team. Sanchez always plays better under pressure and having Tebow around is making him play better. the results are already apparent after day 1 of OTA.

The problem with Sanchez is that when he makes a mistake, it is bad...real bad...he gets desperate and instead of folding, he tries to make odd plays (I say odd, because they have about a 1% chance of actually doing anything). With that said, he is not terrible, and maybe we will find that Shotty was just not a good coordinator and Sanchez can not only improve, but cutdown on mistakes.

Yet, Ryan would have pulled Sanchez last year if he had a capable backup, and now he does.

Ironically, the Jets just require a caretaker QB, and now they have two gunslinger wannabes...

if we are talking about stats, the 14 games of Tebow is a much smaller sample size than the 45 games of Sanchez. Here's a stat Mark Sanchez broke the Jets total TD record by a QB last season. He's 2nd to Vinny Testaverde in single season passing TD. meanwhile Tebow is on his 2nd team. Elway couldn't wait to dump this guy. Here's another stat Sanchez is making 10x more than Tebow in 2012 salary. Money talks and Bull#### walks. let me be clear I like Tebow and root for him but he's the 2nd best QB on that team. Sanchez always plays better under pressure and having Tebow around is making him play better. the results are already apparent after day 1 of OTA.
:penalty:You originally said "By almost every measurement Sanchez is a better passer." - but none of the stats you mention are passing stats. So Tebow is the 2nd best QB on the team because he makes less money??...or because he didn't break the Jets record for TDs while playing for the Broncos? :loco: Manning got cut from the Colts - does that mean Luck will put up better stats than him this year? Money might talk, but it doesn't make you a better passer. As I stated above - all the ACTUAL PASSING stats save for completion % seem to indicate that Tebow is the better of the two passers. I also liked how you chose "Rushing TDs" to indicate...well, something. Unfortunately if we use simply rushing TDs we end up with such ridiculous things as Lendale White being a top 5 RB and "better" than ADP in 2008 - if we just look at rushing TDs. Now, if we look at yards or yards per carry, we would get a little different picture.Sanchez rushed for 103 yards last season on 37 attempts. That's a paltry 2.8 YPCTebow on the other hand, rushed for 660 yards on 122 attampts. That's 5.4 YPC. Oh, and despite carrying the ball almost 4 times as often, Tebow had 2 fewer fumbles than Sanchez. So Tebow passes better, runs better and turns the ball over less. But he's the 2nd best QB on the team?? C'mon man. Look, I get that some people in this thread own Sanchez in some dynasty league (or might be related to him) - but facts is facts. Everyone can have their own opinion - but not their own set of facts.

if we are talking about stats, the 14 games of Tebow is a much smaller sample size than the 45 games of Sanchez. Here's a stat Mark Sanchez broke the Jets total TD record by a QB last season. He's 2nd to Vinny Testaverde in single season passing TD. meanwhile Tebow is on his 2nd team. Elway couldn't wait to dump this guy. Here's another stat Sanchez is making 10x more than Tebow in 2012 salary. Money talks and Bull#### walks. let me be clear I like Tebow and root for him but he's the 2nd best QB on that team. Sanchez always plays better under pressure and having Tebow around is making him play better. the results are already apparent after day 1 of OTA.
Sanchez is one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL. The guy is awful and the major reason the Jets sucked last year.If you don't think Tebow takes his job this year you're nuts. Who cares what he makes? The NFL is about one thing...winning.

Sanchez rushed for 103 yards last season on 37 attempts. That's a paltry 2.8 YPCTebow on the other hand, rushed for 660 yards on 122 attampts. That's 5.4 YPC. Oh, and despite carrying the ball almost 4 times as often, Tebow had 2 fewer fumbles than Sanchez. So Tebow passes better, runs better and turns the ball over less.
ok so you will consider rushing attempts in the comparing rushing TD stats... but you won't consider passing attempts in the passing stats? Sanchez had 543 passing attempts, Tebow had 271. You think that has an effect on these INT% and TD% stats?

Sanchez is one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL. The guy is awful and the major reason the Jets sucked last year.If you don't think Tebow takes his job this year you're nuts. Who cares what he makes? The NFL is about one thing...winning.
jeez tell us how you really feel. First off the word sucked. The Jets went 8-8. Teams like Jacksonville and Minnesota would kill for 8-8. They had a disappointing year, they didn't beat elite teams but they didn't suck, strictly speaking. as for your second statement I'd be willing to bet actual cash money against you or anyone else who thinks Tebow will be starting week 1 due to coaches decision. The only way tebow starts this year is due to Sanchez injury.

Users who are viewing this thread