What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time for reflection (1 Viewer)

MAC_32

Footballguy
There's still 6+ weeks left in the season, but for most it's either football time or time to battle. I'm still very much in the thick of things in 2 of my 5 leagues, but things are looking bleak in my other 3. It's going to take a monster finish to push for the title in all of them, not impossible but...probably less than a 10% chance.

So, where did you go wrong? and where did you go right?

Wrong?

#1 - Albert Pujols. I traded him away in one league for Anibal Sanchez during a period in which it looked like he may play through the foot injury, but I still didn't trust him. Couldn't get anything of value in my other two Albert owned leagues. I was forced to trade for Chris Johnson in one league and Konerko in another. Oof. Choosing him over Encarnacion was a back breaker.

#2 - Average issues. I thought I did the right things to avoid this issue that I seem to mis-value each year...and I did it again. Longoria, Hamilton, Austin Jackson, Asdrubal, Starlin, Heyward, David Murphy...I drafted a few average issues per usual but the idea would be I would have the guys to offset them. And, I did not. At this point, too late to fix. Probably going to sink me in one league, one of a few issues in another.

#3 - Misusing middle relievers. For the most part I used them correctly, but I got too aggressive in one league. I usually don't use middle relievers until midseason, but since I had open spots on my roster I used middle relievers earlier than I usually do. Created a big hole in my ratios doing so and just haven't clawed back from it. Lesson for next year, don't use middle relievers until June.

#4 - Phil Hughes. Curse him. I bought into his last 4 months of 2012 (before fatiguing at the end anyway) as him turning the corner and lumped in the same tier as Mike Minor and AJ Burnett. What a massive mistake that was. Him, coupled with the misused MR's above, destroyed me in one league. In another he had some help from my closers Papelbon, Ernesto, and Axford.

#5 - Austin Jackson. I thought he was prime to blow up this year (.310/120/20/70/25), and things looked good early on, but he has not been the same since he went down with the hammy. Instead of being a plus in three cats and passable in one he has only been a plus contributor in one cat.

Right?

#1 - Building a cheap pitching staff. Mike Minor, AJ Burnett, Matt Garza, Justin Masterson, Hyun Jin-Ryu, Doug Fister, a few months of Kyle Kendrick, Travis Wood, Dillon Gee, Tony Cingrani (act 2), streaming, etc.. My non Phil Hughes leagues have treated me well.

#2 - Under valued veterans. Carlos Beltran, Michael Cuddyer, Nate McLouth, Carlos Quentin, Torii Hunter, Brian McCann, etc.

#3 - Under valued OF's. See, above.

#4 - Cheap steals. Everth Cabrera, Eric Young, Nate McLouth, even DJ LeMahieu, and now Jonathan Villar. Same story, different year. SB's are always cheap and easy to find.

In summary, I think I had the right approach going into drafts. Wait on pitching, OF, veterans, and SB...see what slips. Power and infielders take priority. I need to improve execution next year though. Pujols instead of Encarnacion, Starlin instead of Han Ram, Rutledge instead of Kipnis, Frazier instead of Machado...too many mistakes in the infield.

Users who are viewing this thread