What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans 2018 (3 Viewers)

Jason Wolf ‏@JasonWolf 2h2 hours ago

The #Lions' pending hire means #Titans are only team looking for a GM.

Lack of coaching staff...Titans miss opportunity to coach for Senior Bowl and get up close n personal exposure to college talent

Lack of coaching staff...Titans miss opportunity to coach for Senior Bowl and get up close n personal exposure to college talent
First thing I thought when I saw that DAL and Jax were coaching. That aside, if that opportunity was so great - that even more damning for Whis and Webster

First thing I thought when I saw that DAL and Jax were coaching. That aside, if that opportunity was so great - that even more damning for Whis and Webster
Totally agree.

The Mariota trade talk that never was...they can bite me for making it seem possible

It's almost pathetically humorous now, what their words or picks were.

Blackson is the DT to fill a gaping hole, one worth trading up for and oh he's faster than we thought so we moved him to End

We watched a zillion Ts but we're gonna draft a young one instead and oh BTW he's a Guard.

Fowler is a better runner and receiver thought they saw something at senior bowl and....was he really used as such?

(A new coach's housecleaning could change this but) It looks like they got a lot of depth players that will be around a good while as UDFA. Most were from major schools so were probably well scouted already.

McBride...he was about to fall in any team's lap and oddly enough looks like the 7th round was warranted so it might even be poor evaluation since their words were he's a 4th rounder.

There's no evidence they gleaned anything from the Senior bowl

Last edited by a moderator:
Pacman played like pacman.

I chuckled at Munchak and maybe shouldn't have.

Today I'm hopeful for Coffman. He's had a rough ride. He had an uptick in week 17- 3 or 4 catches and a TD. I feel like that guy has gone through a lot and deserves a playoff TD or big catch or somesuch. It'd be nice to see

Earlier in the week, Manning was all about the game and not talking retirement. After the whole Brock thing, I'm sure it got his competitive mindset rolling.

Gase accepted Miami's job.

Now Peyton is calmer and saying retirement is a possibility.

Makes me wonder if Gase would have waited.

'The team is not for sale' has never been a statement people believe in the NFL. I think it has to do with even uttering it, why say that if it's not? I figure Peyton rumors will start again soon.

I still think Polian's son is the favorite for GM. His brother is already working in a personnel role.

Guess whose dad drafted Peyton?

I may have too strong a "conspiracy theory" mindset going on here but...

He may be a knuckle head but at least he's still in the league. Worst first rounder has to go to Vince Young in my eyes. So much 'potential'! 3rd overall and $58 million dollar contract with only a rookie of the year trophy to show for it. Oh, and a Madden cover...

He may be a knuckle head but at least he's still in the league. Worst first rounder has to go to Vince Young in my eyes. So much 'potential'! 3rd overall and $58 million dollar contract with only a rookie of the year trophy to show for it. Oh, and a Madden cover...
Dyson when we could've had Moss.

That one still hurts too.

I agree.

It was also the end of continuity and tradition and all that stuff for the franchise. GM, Coach, and coaches were fired and moved around.

To this day, still miss having those OL and DL coaches.

Most interesting for me was Norm Chow. I really was intrigued by the hire. I like anyone that can look at the same stuff and present it in a totally new way. Well thought out, creative....drove me nuts that Vince thought he was hot stuff and couldn't be coached by him. Intelligent, patient, so nice to the press and real genuine honesty that Fish even asked him not to speak at times. Young's inability to throw a nice ball and understand the NFL game-he had a nice tutor right there but was too dopey arrogant to realize it.

Before-a famous USC offense, after a famous Hawaii offense that isn't easy to recruit for.

I would be thrilled if they would give him a job again.

Someone else mentioned him in an Ask Jim Q http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Ask-Jim-More-Questions-as-Titans-Take-on-Patriots/0fd464fe-e126-444e-b8da-f28b048bd4ac

I haven't been able to watch much football this year, let alone Titans football, so couldn't give you detailed breakdown, but those grades average out to about a passing grade, no? For getting the first pick how can you average a passing grade?
Some reporters don't go F in their articles. The text written after the Ds probably matches your sentiment.

I do see your point.

I agree. Our problem is at the offensive superstar level. We don't draft 'em, we don't develop 'em. Outside of Chris Johnson, what offensive superstar player have the Titans drafted in the last decade? Mariota is on the way, but only a rookie. Is there another one? You can't win like that...
This is one of my basic simple issues I have with a lot of big time coaches (in reality or just in their head). Ya gotta treat players right and ultimately, YOU, are responsible for them reaching their potential-not them, not always.

Neither Whis nor Mularkey had a clue how to treat young players.

Can you name a single player that was better since Whis got there? Delanie...who else?

Wright was a star in the making. He'd probably have high catch totals to reach 1000 and get more n more fans because of his speed.

Hunter was very much like DGB his rookie year, the draft hype etc. If their starters got hurt, Hunter probably would have had similar stats even. Year two excited anticipation was derailed by JAG remember? And DGB is probably going to be praised as an up n comer heading into camp just the same.

Sankey...was he ever kind to Sankey? Treat him right? Mularkey n Whis last game of their era was to tell the press how hard he's been working and that he's going to get the rock, only to give it to Cobb.

Hunter did everything asked of him, learning all three roles and I was thoroughly impressed. I did not think he could run slot routes well and some of the different things he did. It did nothing for him.

Wright ran all the routes as Whis wanted and cried about and as a result he got less targets.

I like their draft day effort to get an offensive superstar. They just crush their spirit and all seem in a funk when they're done with them.

I think, today, Locker retiring sums it up very well and epitomizes everything. Whis was hired to fix Locker.

I agree. Our problem is at the offensive superstar level. We don't draft 'em, we don't develop 'em. Outside of Chris Johnson, what offensive superstar player have the Titans drafted in the last decade? Mariota is on the way, but only a rookie. Is there another one? You can't win like that...
I think, today, Locker retiring sums it up very well and epitomizes everything. Whis was hired to fix Locker.
Quarterback whisperer, my ###.

So it's Mularkey's job to lose. Awesome.
Not from what I hear. He's only assured an interview.

The GM will decide and that is usually how it goes. Some of these "hands on" owners in the NFL do the hiring but usually the GM cuts the list wayyy down, says who he wants, owner interviews and concurs.

All I know of is that their OL coach and WR coach weren't extended new deals.

Jefferson is (or has) interviewed with Rams and Fins.

Their OL coach was an assistant OL coach for the Bucs line that wasn't that good, the Titans were the worst in NFL each year under him sooo I'm not sure he gets another NFL OL job. It might be like 'back to the minors' (college) for him.

Lebeau and Horton's contracts expired but both are 'medium' on returning, awaiting to see what happens.

Coughlin interviewing with the Niners. Not sure I'd be interested in him anyway. But seems like the Niners could use a disciplinarian

Coughlin interviewing with the Niners. Not sure I'd be interested in him anyway. But seems like the Niners could use a disciplinarian
Agreed. Titans need someone who could be around for a while not a short term bandaid.

Agreed. Titans need someone who could be around for a while not a short term bandaid.
I think I like Hue the best of the possible NFL HC/DC/OC candidates. I don't follow college so don't know anything about those candidates but I cannot remember anyone coming only with experience from the college ranks who had success. I could be wrong on that (I do not consider Chip Kelly a success and don't want him coaching the Titans - almost as little as I want Mularkey whose claim to fame seems to be he did not (try to) get Mariota killed)

Assuming they're still going with the notion of hiring GM first and then he is big part of hiring the next coach, I think the GM is decided. Maybe flying in, setting up presser time n all?

Kenneth Adams and Amy Strunk will be in Houston today and tomorrow for NFL relocation vote and owners meeting.

Mularkey is scheduled to interview Thursday, Austin and Marrone later in the week(friday saturday).

Timing wise he would have to be

If not, then they missed out interviewing coaches for no reason.

Underwood is at owners meeting in Houston.

He doesn't really belong there amidst the billionaires.

Feel free to guess why he's there, what's up etc

Giants OL Coach not waiting for Coughlin to find a home, will interview with other Parcells friend-Mike Zimmer.

Zimmer only fired his OL coach earlier today.

As I said before, I believe this is the best OL coach available. Vikes OL coach has been around forever. To fire and schedule an interview that quick shows what he thinks of Flaherty.

If the Titans would go ahead and hire Chris Polian as GM, his dad is friends with Parcells too. Maybe that gets Flaherty to come interview

There's some confusion between Titans telling assistants that they're under contract til Feb 15 and none will be given permission to interview elsewhere...and then Jefferson going to Miami. If he did this without permission, thank you Dolphins for the extra tampering draft pick

You live 15 min from Houston and claim you can't make the meeting due to GM and coaching search?

You live 15 min from Houston and claim you can't make the meeting due to GM and coaching search?
A sign its for sale? If not, wouldn't you want to be there to begin to build long term relationships with the other owners?

A sign its for sale? If not, wouldn't you want to be there to begin to build long term relationships with the other owners?
This wasn't reported well all day. Just one of those days that one mixup leads to another and..I don't know, ya see enough quality reporters apologizing and/or overexplaining and get a whole sense there.

Remember the NFL is displeased with the Titans ownership structure and told them as such, articles, etc.

What I gather is not only was Strunk and Adams to be there for the meeting that primarily discussed relocation, but that there was a meeting after that she also missed. The league sent people to specifically go over how the Adams family could straighten things out to meet the league requirements and asked some owners to stick around to discuss with the Strunk. She never showed.

I assume they called her, maybe even sent someone to her home.

Mid day, late morning, Browns owner Haslam issued a statement that he was sorry he couldn't attend but was knee deep in hiring. Later (as if she got wind of this) Strunk said the same. Keep in mind though, the interviews have been in TEN and she lives in HOU.

Team pres was there and had no business being there. She sent him like a representative.

When I hear the company adjustment/reallocation meeting didn't take place that makes me LEAP to well they didn't want to meet with the team president either, even though he was in the building.

Sooo after all that it's that the league is quite upset with her and the other 30 owners felt it was "not right" what she did.

I don't know what will happen, if anything. Of course I have no experience with selling half billion dollar companies, but somehow someway I still figure when you're needing approval from the league you don't anger those you need approval from.

One tangent which 'scares' me is the other 30 owners grumpy reply to this is to turn down every coaching+GM interview request by her

I do realize teams have been bought and sold in all sports for many years and that the discussions of such aren't generally public-only the results like hey this team has a new owner. I'm at a loss to say if this is normal posturing toward a sale or the NFLs requirements for new owners are too strict or what this could be. There's no history to compare it to. From afar it actually appears like the league is always overly kind and easy going with their owners, so this seems like a whole new territory.

I remember that Cincy owner years ago mouthing off. Was that baseball? There's just not much to go on here to guess what's going on and what will come of this

The Titans said they would have multiple internal candidates for their open GM job. Indications are that director of pro scouting Brian Gardner is not one of them. There has been no word on any internal candidate interviewing.- Kuharsky

Whis was hired as Chargers OC, Reich was fired.

I wonder if Reich would go back to being a QB coach or WR coach

Peyton and Rivers' QB coach or Wayne, Fitz, and Boldin's WR coach...nice resume

Again from PK on periscope-Worst case from missing meeting, not responding to previous issue...NFL forces Strunk to sell

Consensus from periscope

Polian or Chiefs guy as GM

Schwartz w Lebeau as DC

or

McDaniels w Schwartz as DC

Users who are viewing this thread