What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans 2018 (1 Viewer)

TEN reporters disagree with this but...

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 3h3 hours ago

Bucs exec Jon Robinson is the frontrunner for the Titans GM job. Announcement coming as soon as Thursday. Belichick tree is very hot now...
Because the Bucs are so well managed?

I guess they're doing better than a few franchises but that's not where I'd be looking.
This has been about my thought too as they interview jags, bucs, and browns guys. I want a guy from a winner and...then I saw two seasons in Tampa after twelve seasons in New England and was like ohhh OK then.

Someone was telling a story how interestingly enough, with a pick next to the Titans (and usual NFL research) he was intrigued by many of the Titans young players so with our largely 1 and 2 year team of players, he actually knows quite a bit about them. PAUSE Polian does too from being with the Jags.

Last night when everything got pretty strong that a hire seemed imminent, national reporters said Robinson while Titans reporters said Polian.

if it is Jon Robinson, look for McDaniels it would seem:
Everyone is going here because of where McDaniels is now.

Schwartz was once upon a time a Belichick guy too and his taking the lions from 0-16 to playoffs in two years has to be intriguing.

I can go on and on about this but, there's two very obvious simple things-

Schwartz has been around the complex plenty in the last year and McDaniels isn't scheduled for an interview despite stating publicly he was interested.

I feel like I can guarantee one simple thing here- McDaniels is not getting a job if he isn't interviewed for

As per a zillion on twitter, Titans confirmed Jon Robinson will be the new GM, working out contract details now hoping for presser this afternoon

Mularkey interview pushed to Friday, Marrone's expected to be pushed as well. Austin is scheduled for Friday.

Schwartz has been in contact with the team and around the facility many times during the last calendar year.

There is an internal candidate we don't know of and many assume to be Lebeau some say it's Horton so he gets the experience.

Above is IT right now. I will play jump around and guess game like everyone else, but just keep in mind those are the only four coaching candidates. AFAIK neither Lebeau nor Horton are genuinely considered to be HC.

Here's what I hear-

Bucs did not offer Koetter the job. Everyone seems to assume Robinson loves this guy so he'll be an automatic consideration. Koetter was rumored to be leaving and one of the reasons they fired Lovie was to keep and promote Koetter so this has taken an odd spin. Maybe Robinson's hire triggers the Bucs to sign Koetter quickly.

Chip Kelly wanted Robinson as his sort of personnel advisor as he learned the GM role and there's a relationship there.

McDaniels Tebow circus and Brady PSI circus and spygate II have made him seem unattractive to Underwood.

Norm Chow rumors have not died which makes me wonder if there isn't some OC consideration being done there.

Schwartz and old Titans DL coach Jim Washburn are friends and he would return with him. Washburn's son is an OL coach that has spent a ton of time learning from Washburn and Munchak so it's assumed if Schwartz is hired, these would be his line coaches.

Schwartz and Koetter are likely to keep Lebeau/Horton while Kelly and McDaniels are not.

Horton is still highly thought of and the future 'true' DC while Lebeau has this hybrid assistant head coach label.

Don't forget McDaniels is in the playoffs. Another Patriot Bob Quinn was hired to be Detroit's GM and they have yet to decide Caldwell's fate.

Whereas the Titans have no interview scheduled with McDaniels, the Lions supposedly had a cursory phone call interview with Pats DC Patricia and Josh McDaniels.

One of the more attractive things about Robinson was that many of the Titans drafted players the last two years were players he wanted the Bucs to take and so he knows an awful lot about this roster filled with first and second year guys.

That's probably common but I had never thought of that before.

They gotta do the research on players and come to a conclusion and the personnel guys and GM don't necessarily agree on everyone...just never thought of it that way.

This makes me curious about guys like Sankey.

I have no doubt everyone within the Titans org and Bucs org spent months on Winston versus Mariota

I'm sure the reporters are going to "hit him" with who is your coach Qs but I'm very anxious to hear his thoughts on current players

Discussing Robinson on 1045, seems like all afternoon

As part of a department with Pats or Bucs, hard to gauge whom exactly he is responsible for drafting.

Besides Winston, drafted T that started all 16, MLB that played well til suspended, and a G that looks real good from Div 3.

Likes analytics but will go with 'eye test' as well

Watches a lot of tape, expects to travel a lot and not be a GM in the office all the time

The Mularkey stuff and how GMs that wouldn't keep him weren't considered has been reasoned out today as Underwood and others in the front office think they've built something and made some progress they want to move forward on. They were leery of any GM that gave their team or their staff the stinkeye. Not at all that he has to keep Mularkey (or anyone) but to come in and already have made a decision to 'blow things up' and not consider everyone was not gonna fly with Underwood.

This makes me more hopeful this house-cleaning we all expect might not be so drastic but actually be done in a reasonable fashion

Hue Jackson asked permission for Horton to interview for Browns DC job

Marrone coming for an interview, Mawae vocal of support for him. Schwartz was his DC in Buffalo

In oh so many scenarios, Schwartz is involved

Guessing of a future Q-

The Patriots are in nice shape with free agents and not scheduled to lose many significant players. C/G Ryan Wendell is a free agent but was on IR with a hurt knee at age 29. He's the only significant possibility I can see there.

Tampa is about the same, mostly backups as free agents. Although Doug Martin is a free agent and Alterraun Verner is expected to be cut and be a free agent soon.

I guess that's three guys the Titans could be interested in but before any contract clearing type moves neither the Pats or Bucs offer a wealth of players to be added

National reporters claiming Mularkey has been offered the job. On 1045 PK is quite upset- to summarize in short "that better not be the case with this whole dog n pony show they've done"

National reporters claiming Mularkey has been offered the job. On 1045 PK is quite upset- to summarize in short "that better not be the case with this whole dog n pony show they've done"
That's everything I've been reading/hearing but really hard to believe. I know some have speculate one of the reasons is simply cost, they still think the Titans are going to be put up for sale and they want a cheap alternative as head coach that won't tie up future money.

If that is truly the case all I can say is the Titans really need to be sold and quickly if the current owners are that tight on money.

I will however continue to think the whole story is a ruse until it ever actually happened. I still think both the Lions and Titans are waiting for NE to get eliminated to fill their jobs and they are putting out this story at the behest of McDaniels/Patricia as to lessen the distraction to the Patriots during the playoffs.

Kuharsky just said on 1045 that Robinson is in Nashville and interviews Marrone this afternoon with Underwood.

So now we're back to hmmm they pushed Mularkey to Friday and still are interviewing Marrone today. Anything to that? Or is it simply that he's local and employed there so it's not a big deal for him to meet Friday versus Thursday

Mawae praising Marrone on 1045 now. The way he emphasizes trenches is important for Titans and would be well received. Years ago coached at U of Ten and Mid Ten St.

Says he fixed Syracuse and Buffalo quickly.

Re Schwartz as Marrone's DC- oh yeah I think so, probably. Rambles on about Schwartz positively.

Mawae would consider coaching the Titans OL. He currently trains college guys before the draft.

I didn't know Mawae was a Tackle his whole youth and into college right up until his senior year when he played Center.

Problems with current OL, no leaders along OL made a quip about what happens in the meeting room. Wasn't right to make Lewan captain, most everyone would have said too young to handle it then take it away. They needed Roos one more year, thinks line would have been much better (or even Stewart), Titans sorely underestimated value of an older (wiser) offensive lineman being around.

Discussed how coaches used to fine guys for penalties and sacks and then NFL said that wasn't allowed but that was still the level of accountability most quality linemen around the NFL went by. Didn't see any accountability on Titans OL, few comments by Lewan, not much. Mariota got on them at times but it's not his job. There must be someone in meeting room and lockerroom who holds them accountable.

Says Marrone shows up for interviews with thorough research and will 'knock their socks off' with his detail in the interview, mentioned how at Syracuse he showed up with scouting reports on NY HS kids, can't recall what he did in Buff but similar story

Albert Breer was on 1045 discussing Robinson. In summary he's a scout first and foremost so he'll build thru the draft. He's not ignorant that a team needs veterans(Could say Webster was) but he can see how he will continue what they're doing and keep filling holes by the draft.

Also maybe of note- he is one for the Pats that always liked these little moves on draft day to trade up a few spots or down...remember those trades? Not significant by itself but collectively impressive.

Some of the GM candidates told Breer they were going to get stuck with Mularkey as HC. He believes that's why some didn't interview and why some weren't so happy after their interview.

He said the climate could have changed, he does get that sense, but a week or so ago it was Mularkey and staff are staying.

They brought up Marrone today, he said something like exactly and shawn jefferson left too

To summarize, about like I said earlier, he thinks they're wishy washy now but you can sense a pride with the staff they already have.

One other point he said- Belichick tells all his people a story how Parcells told him not to ever take a job where ownership wasn't completely behind you. Goes on about his experience with Modell and how he left the Jets to Kraft family which was stable.

Now he interjected McDaniels talk with this and didn't finish his thought.

My guess is he was saying Strunk needs to get her ducks in a row(previous stuff) or McDaniels won't even consider the Titans.

While this was on, I've been told Schwartz is trying to get an interview tonight. There is this feeling that people want to be interviewed before Mularkey and that after might be a waste of time.

TEN reporters disagree with this but...

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 3h3 hours ago

Bucs exec Jon Robinson is the frontrunner for the Titans GM job. Announcement coming as soon as Thursday. Belichick tree is very hot now...
Because the Bucs are so well managed?

I guess they're doing better than a few franchises but that's not where I'd be looking.
This has been about my thought too as they interview jags, bucs, and browns guys. I want a guy from a winner and...then I saw two seasons in Tampa after twelve seasons in New England and was like ohhh OK then.

Someone was telling a story how interestingly enough, with a pick next to the Titans (and usual NFL research) he was intrigued by many of the Titans young players so with our largely 1 and 2 year team of players, he actually knows quite a bit about them. PAUSE Polian does too from being with the Jags.

Last night when everything got pretty strong that a hire seemed imminent, national reporters said Robinson while Titans reporters said Polian.
alright, I can get on board. for now.

Bri,

Just curious...what is your ranking that you would like to see as far as HC?
I love Lebeau and Schwartz as DC, any combo that gets one of them would be best IMO.

I haven't digested Mawae as OL coach fully yet but initially I imagine high standards (remember he was NFLPA president too in his retirement) would be brought similar to Munchak and that it would also allow the old linemen to start coming back n mingling like they did for so many years. Mawae has only been an intern summer coach so I'm not sure if he has to be an asst OL coach first or can jump right in.

Washburn...loved him as DL coach. Other than Tomsula, I don't see a high level DL coach available. I don't think highly of the Lions OL where his son coached. I have no doubt his dad can teach him that and work all that out eventually but I'm apprehensive of the son. I'd love to hear Mawae join the Washburns.

My favorite is Schwartz with Lebeau staying. Even if Norm Chow stuff is just chatter, I have zero worry that they can find a nice offensive mind that wants to work with Mariota. One thing that most good looking young QBs lack is a competent defense so they have to score 30+ points to win. i think Mariota could win quickly if they improve (at all) from a 12th ranked D.

Second is Marone because I like how he talks and that he too will bring a staff I respect including Schwartz. After Whis n Mularkey n Webster, I like the idea of a blunt honest guy maybe more than I should.

I do think being from Tenn is a bigger deal than in other markets and I'm constantly in here reminding people how they lost so many fans they need to do certain things. That Schwartz did well with the Titans and Marrone was at two TEN Universities will satisfy that nicely. I don't know how the casual fan would react to McDaniels.

I don't in any way get the sense fans want Mularkey back. Many many tweets are downright mean even and the call ins to the radio are brutal. I wonder if they had this plan, GMs said Mularkey was bad move then drove home heard on the radio everyone bashing Mularkey and picked up the paper and saw no Mularkey love and...I think this has had something to do with their changing their mind as well.

Marrone was not exactly a success in Buffalo and lots of stories about his style that grated on people. Not sure I'd be thrilled with him.

Marrone was not exactly a success in Buffalo and lots of stories about his style that grated on people. Not sure I'd be thrilled with him.
Like many people have said lately- almost no coach's last year is a success

He left Buff 9-7 making the playoffs. If ownership sold the team, he had a clause where he'd get $ and the opportunity to opt out so...he did it. He must've smelled something to get that written into a contract

An offensive line coach that would continue on to lead the top NFL offense, twice.

There's a lot that meshes with the Titans needs

The Titans are an embarrassment. Hire a GM that is forced to keep Mularkey. If that's the case, the franchise is continuing to go nowhere with no end in sight.

Hate to be so small sighted but I am looking for clarification.

Mularkey = bad for Sankey's fantasy prospects?

Someone else = hope for Sankey's fantasy ressurection?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000622779/article/winners-and-losers-from-thursdays-coaching-hires

Under losers:

Titans fans looking for hope: The hire of new general manager Jon Robinson comes with a caveat. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that Mike Mularkey has been given "strong indications" he'll be the next head coach, removing the "interim" tag from his title. This is not going to help the team sell tickets, much less sell belief that next season will be any different after five wins over the last two years.

Dammit. I was hoping they hadn't hired a coach because they're waiting for Mike Shula to finish out with the panthers.

I wrote about it above. I don't think Mularkey's got it yet.

I would like to hear his presentation/interview today. If they wanted fans to endorse Mularkey, they should televise it or stream it. What he says will be everything the fans want- a plan, spelled out with how he'll accomplish his goals.

I've heard a lot about Marrone and Austin lately. If it were me, I'd want to follow Austin. It sounds like Marrone is a gem of an interview.

The Titans are the last team now with an opening. Kuharsky writes that they ought to wait and be patient. I don't agree-maybe for a bit, but Schwartz has offers and they'll lose him. How long can he leave those offers on hold for?

Also, some NFL coaches think the Titans keeping their staff in-house til Feb 15th, as that is when their contract ends, is unfair. Rules are rules and the contract ends, the contract ends....but 'no one' does this. If they are all let go Feb 15th then what jobs will be available in a month? There's enough negativity about being a Titan, they don't need something new if they plan to attract quality assistants. It's also example #987654 why the coaches need their own union.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucs hire Koetter as HC and Mike Smith as DC

Bengals replace Hue with a former greatest show on turf assistant, Zampese- whose dad was around the NFL 'forever' and then add Jim Haslett as LB coach.

I want the feeling the fans of these teams have.

Titans said they interviewed multiple internal candidates

Horton, Mularkey....Lebeau? 2 is not multiple. I'm guessing on Lebeau

I would be fine with Lebeau

Excited for Horton, very excited. I have never seen a defensive coordinator try as many different schemes and gimmicks as he did in 2014 You could totally tell he gave it his all.

9th rated Browns D when he left, garbage rank in 2014, 12th rated this year. The talent of those three squads does not yield a top 12 or 9 thought. He coached them up.

I said amidst 2014 season, when Whis was possibly fired post 2014, when Lebeau was hired and last summer- I almost don't care exactly how he would stack up offensively to start but if he is going to try anything and everything and be that creative...I'll take it. I think from trying odd sets and gimmicks, you learn a thing or two about what will work and how coachable players are.

They did use his S as dime backer this year and his 3-5 and 5-3 sets, even some two down lineman. Maybe Lebeau needed to point out when the gimmicks will work? Maybe the D just wasn't good enough but...progress was made.

Lebeau as HC in cincy was very much all about accountability. He benched anyone and everyone if they made mistakes-star or not. It didn't work perfectly. Ya can't pull the franchise QB or stud WR on 3rd because they made a mistake on 2nd and expect to complete the first down-in theory you can, but it didn't work. Same with pulling their top CBs when the backup went in, the QB went right at him. That was a long time ago. I don't know how he will have adjusted and what he'd do differently but the base of that 'holding everyone accountable' is something I would totally want.

Both Horton and Lebeau surely know full n well if an OL is doing well and where weaknesses are etc. So as long as they hire a good OL coach, I'll be comfy with that too.

Just NOT Mularkey please!!!

Titans coaches leaving: The Chargers also announced the hire of Titans defensive line coach Giff Smith for the same position. The Dolphins announced the hire of Titans wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson for the same position. Titans special teams coach Nate Kaczor will take the same job with the Buccaneers, The Tennessean confirmed.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2016/01/15/titans-interview-mularkey-austin-head-coach-horton-could-leave-browns/78870148/?hootPostID=1292f776f4290402e328d029df1c8595

Vikes did not sign Flaherty for OL coach but Tony Sparano. Have not seen that the Giants re-signed him so....still some hope for him for the Titans

Caleb English from Murphy, NC

Question: I have two quick questions. 1) Is it true that one of the reasons Jon Robinson got the job is his willingness to retain Mike Mularkey? Do you know (or are you allowed to comment) on if he is going keep Mularkey?

Wyatt: I’ll answer the second one first. It’s to be determined. Mularkey interviewed, and Doug Marrone and Teryl Austin also interviewed this week. Stay tuned. And let’s be clear here on both: Amy Adams Strunk and the ownership group is making the call on the hire at head coach, and that’s the way it should be.

Austin Hicks from Muncie, Indiana

Question: Did the Titans try to make a move on Chip Kelly? What are you prioritizing this off-season?

Wyatt: The Chip Kelly chatter was overblown. Read somewhere before he was hired by the 49ers he was on the team’s “short list.” Not true. As for priorities, No.1 on the priority list is hiring the head coach. No.2 is reshaping the offensive line and finding more playmakers on offense.

Good for you Tanney, look out Mett-

Question: Hey Jim. What do you think of Alex Tanney? Do you think he will get a shot in 2016? He looked very good when put in the last game of the year. Hope he gets a fair chance, could do good things for the Titans.

Wyatt: Hey Frank. I like what I’ve seen from Alex. Looked good in the finale, and in practices. Is accurate, and has a nice arm. He’ll get a chance to compete in camp. He’s one of the guys that’s already spending time at the facility getting ready for the year.

Article from a year ago discussing Belichick and Jon Robinson. Gives Robinson some decent praise.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/8/7511607/jets-gm-search-dont-dismiss-robinson-because-he-worked-for-new-england

Another article from last year discussing the 2015 draft strategy while Jon was with the Bucs. Gives some good insight into his style and what we can expect out of the upcoming 2016 draft.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2015/5/22/8644151/buccaneers-approach-to-draft-copies-patriots-except-for-one-important

A quick video clip of Jon from 2012 when he was still with the Patriots discussing the Combine and how he sees it playing into the draft stock of a player.

http://www.patriots.com/video/2012/02/24/patriots-today-checking-jon-robinson

Not much news today-

I have some extremely reputable friends telling me Schwartz has had many discussions with the Titans but no one is reporting that he interviewed. It's really odd. I am guessing a chat isn't an official interview? something like that?

Rapoport claims Titans offered Mularkey one year deal and he doesn't want to be a bandaid, wants multi-year deal.

Someone else(I forget and now it's all over so I can't find source) claims Horton said he's HC or he's going to CLE.

Neither means much-

that's normal in interviews- who would you keep, what if you're not promoted, how long a deal are you looking for etc.

Same with the report that Mularkey is assembling a staff. Everyone interviewed calls their buddies and says 'will you be on my staff?' and has a cursory agreement. You can pretty much google any recent candidate for any job and find such a tweet or news report.

It's been real odd how Nat'l reporters are getting the 'leaks' and TEN reporters are not. IMO They seem better at following up but it's just that initial report that's going to nat'l guys. My only guess is Wyatt doesn't want to pick favorites amongst local reporter friends and/or the team wants to make sure it's all 'big news.' I suggest Wyatt but have no basis just that he works for the team and would have such contacts.

Jason Wolf tweets no one else is scheduled to interview, so the owners appear to be taking the time to discuss the candidates and make a decision. Again, it's been around a bunch that the owners and not GM are making the coaching decision. Wyatt post above I pasted too

ETA Oh and I got Titans are not obligated to divulge who the "multiple internal candidates" were since it's internal. Still think Mularkey and Horton are 'couple' and not 'multiple'

Seems to me at this point the better thing to do would be to hold out until after the playoffs are over. What's the rush? There is no recruiting trail to jump on immediately. A couple of weeks doesn't hurt you on draft plans. Gain a staff and assistants out of the current playoff teams.

Seems to me at this point the better thing to do would be to hold out until after the playoffs are over. What's the rush? There is no recruiting trail to jump on immediately. A couple of weeks doesn't hurt you on draft plans. Gain a staff and assistants out of the current playoff teams.
Agree. Isn't this the last HC job open? If that's the case you really have no competition.

Ridiculous. Titans Hire Mularky

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000623006/article/mike-mularkey-sheds-interim-tag-named-titans-coach

Link below about why Mularky is uninspiring. I agree with the thoughts about Robinson obviously coming in the door with little power. Not good. You would have to think he would have suggested another play here. At least to wait and see what the playoffs would have to offer. Why rush this? And announcing him during a playoff game shows hat they have no idea about proper PR. Or maybe they do. They know it's a crap hire so announce it while everyone is distracted.

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/17978/titans-decision-in-mike-mularkey-is-spectacularly-uninspired

First the Lions keep Caldwell, then the 49ers hire Kelly and now Titans stick with Mularky. What a bunch of unbelievably bad coaching choices by organizations.

Feel bad for you Titans fans. You deserve better.

Sad sad day....

In PK's periscope, the amount of fans offering to sell PSLs, saying they will, etc is pretty overwhelming. I don't know that I've noticed a franchise anger fans as much as this by a hire.

The fans are going nuts, will NFL force them to sell so a new owner can fire MM and hire someone else?

Asst Head Coach **** Lebeau is most assuredly asked back. He'd have to accept.

Schwartz is available and wants to coach for the Titans.

Schwartz has been 4-3 but he 'grew up' under BBs 3-4 so (when people wonder if Lebeau can be AsstHC and Schwartz DC it'll have to be if they can't get along. I really don't see it unless Schwartz bides his time til Mularkey is gone.

Horton expected to leave and Mularkey trying to convince him to stay

OC Michael is expected to go to STL as TE coach
Need OC

QB coach to stay

OL coach not staying

Asst OL Coach already inteviewing elsewhere

WR coach is with Fins

RB coach is a debate of talent given and if the OL was to blame, unsure

DL coach gone already

LB coach likely to stay

DB coach was given projected starters without much of camp at all, two S to play CB, rookies, and perrish cox. Top 5 pass D with that for half the season, I figure he stays but it's been said he's not so likely.

ST coach already gone

He does like a FB so...guess that's something. Grasping for anything, geesh this is desperation

Users who are viewing this thread